HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 07:03 PM
  #751
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Heh, everybody talks to to him, we've tried talking civilly with him, we've tried yelling at him. Nothing seems to get through his head. Although to be honest, I'm not sure how much is up there. Nobody in the league wants him on their team and he almost gives you a head ache when you talk to him considering the fact that everything you say goes in one ear and out the other. The guy who runs the league kind of just gave up on him. He even spoke to him about it and flat out told him nobody wants to play with him because of it but he just keeps showing up.
So do you guys not have a choice in terms of him being on your team? I.E., is the league manager insisting he be on your roster?

If the league manager isn't insisting on it, then give him the boot from the team.

If the league manager is pushing you to accept him, ask the league manager to refund his payment as no one wants to play with him, and he risks losing other paying customers.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
  #752
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 9,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
Have your whole team never pass to him, ever
Don't forget to throw tape balls at him after the game too

Wilch is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 07:38 AM
  #753
SCritical
Registered User
 
SCritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Sometimes women's league can be just as bad as the stereotype.

A lot of rumours have been going around about me lately. I've been not-so-affectionately called a goon before, mainly by developing players who haven't played women's league yet.

They stem from two incidents - the first was in a game where I marking a girl who I knew had anger issues, so I guess I was partially to blame for putting myself in harms way. she ran into me and my stick got caught under her arm. For some reason she decided to hold onto it. I pulled it free and shoved her off me, and in response she chased after me and swung her stick at the back of my head Marty Mcsorley style. Naturally I was laid out, and she got into loads of trouble. She and her mother then went around telling everyone I tried to slice her with my skate blade (wth?) conveniently leaving out the part where she tried to bash my brains out.

Incident number two - in a scrimmage at training I was tied up along the boards with another girl who had heard rumours from girl number one, and chose to unquestionably believe them. Anyhow, I tried to lift my stick over her and clipped the back of her helmet. The only thing hurt was her feelings, but she then proceeded to tell anyone that would listen that I punched her in the back of the head. How do I know this? The moron didn't check who was changing right behind her in the locker room!

Apologies for the long post but GEEZ. Women!

SCritical is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 06:10 PM
  #754
29Potvins
Registered User
 
29Potvins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Not really a vent, but wonder what people's opinions are on the possibility of changing too soon? Sometimes I get gassed before my linemates do, and I wonder what the other lines would think if I changed early, too often. Is there such a thing? Does this disrupt lines?

I wonder out of curiosity, as I'll change if I need to.


Last edited by 29Potvins: 03-14-2013 at 06:45 PM.
29Potvins is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:14 AM
  #755
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,185
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
http://www.mcdonalds.ca/ca/en/food/n...alculator.html

So on the days you do go to McDonalds you're eating 900 calories. I was doing that amount 4 times a day when I gained my weight.

I'm just trying to share some perspective though; if you chow down and work out you'll see the weight gain you want. I doubt I can convince you anymore than I've tried. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think RC has ever asked for weight gaining advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
If you need Jarick, we can talk about weight loss.
Well I'm not too concerned about gaining weight, I was just stating my poor diet and how I'll get manhandled in the corners, it'd be nice to work out and gain a few pounds but It's not like it's priority #1 for me. I got the chow down part down, it's the working out part I don't have time for, nor the money to pay for a membership every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't find fighting to be exclusive to any skill level. I've played in all kinds of divisions - top, bottom and in the middle. I find that by and large, most of the guys are there to have fun. But every league, or heck, every team has at least one yahoo out there taking things way, way too seriously.

Just skate around them and score.
That's what I plan to do

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:08 AM
  #756
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Not that I care how hard others try, but beer league is not considered competitive hockey.
I disagree. When you're on the ice, you're in competition with your opponents. It might not be elite-tier, and there might be some jokes between whistles and friendly chirping from the bench, but your purpose is to compete and win.

If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's a guy who is just there to goof around and give a half-assed effort. Putting aside whether you take the league seriously, you owe it to your teammates (and the other team for that matter) to play hard and give your best effort at winning. Even if you're a D-league plug. Uncompetitive players diminish their teammates and waste everyone's time, energy and money.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:05 AM
  #757
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I disagree. When you're on the ice, you're in competition with your opponents. It might not be elite-tier, and there might be some jokes between whistles and friendly chirping from the bench, but your purpose is to compete and win.

If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's a guy who is just there to goof around and give a half-assed effort. Putting aside whether you take the league seriously, you owe it to your teammates (and the other team for that matter) to play hard and give your best effort at winning. Even if you're a D-league plug. Uncompetitive players diminish their teammates and waste everyone's time, energy and money.
Agreed! We're all there to have fun but when they're keeping score and you're all wearing the same jersey, competition becomes part of it. I understand doing whatever you want during pick up, but it's disappointing to see people treat their team and league like a joke.

JoeCool16 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:07 AM
  #758
SCritical
Registered User
 
SCritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Agreed! We're all there to have fun but when they're keeping score and you're all wearing the same jersey, competition becomes part of it. I understand doing whatever you want during pick up, but it's disappointing to see people treat their team and league like a joke.
Ice hockey is an expensive sport. I don't get why people pay all that money then act like they don't want to be there. Or in our league there's people who register, pay then don't show up, ever. The teams are drawn up in equal numbers yet some of them end up running one and a half lines every week due to no shows.

SCritical is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
  #759
robmneilson
Registered User
 
robmneilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
Ice hockey is an expensive sport. I don't get why people pay all that money then act like they don't want to be there. Or in our league there's people who register, pay then don't show up, ever. The teams are drawn up in equal numbers yet some of them end up running one and a half lines every week due to no shows.
I love those guys though, bring the cost down for everyone...and once you know they never shot you can plan accordingly. More ice time for all.

robmneilson is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
  #760
Islander102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Oh I needed this thread.

I'm currently on a new team, as our last team kind of dwindled down to nothing as guys moved away. I've played on good teams, lousy teams, inbetween teams, I don't care, I just want to get out there and play hard, but this one takes the cake.

My friend and I are the only two players on this team with any sort of experience in an actual hockey league, and yes, this includes the goaltender. So the results are predictably comical. Which again, is fine, I'm not going to really ***** and moan that my beer league team sucks.

The problem is the actual players. Despite being outscored 16-1 over the first two games, and my buddy and I being the only two players that have generated anything resembling offense, the rest of the team has come to the conclusion that the two of us are what's holding them back. I was absolutely reamed in the locker room for not passing the puck to anyone other than my friend, and was called out for not hustling enough on defense.

I'm not immune to criticism, but the problem is these players have absolutely no idea what the **** they're talking about because they know nothing about hockey. Ignoring the two empty nets I set up one of my teammates with, both were flubbed but whatever, NOBODY IS OPEN, because nobody moves. When I get the puck, players either stand totally still and bang their stick for a pass, or they make a bee-line up the ice. Anyone that has ever played before knows that neither of these options are good passing options. Nobody has the knowledge of how to open up passing lanes and make themselves a target, so I have nobody to pass to when I get the puck.

Defensively, they seem to think that giving max effort means diving all over the defensive zone and sprinting towards whoever has the puck, instead of tracking your assignment and taking away the passing lane. So I got yelled at for "not skating as hard back as I skate up", when I have hardly ever been out of defensive position all year. (I made a commitment to myself before this season even started to be much better backchecking/defensively before I even knew who my teammates were, because I felt my defensive game was lousy last year)

So after the last game, the team decided to split my friend and I up so we can "pass to the rest of the team" because after two games of playing they have decided that the only thing bringing them down is us hogging the puck. I have no problem playing on bad teams with bad players, in fact I would love to help some of them improve their games and learn how to play, but I have never, ever had a problem with any teammate on any team I have been on, my effort or unselfishness has never been questioned by far superior players, but on this team I have to listen to a team-wide ***** fest about how I'M the problem, and the reason they aren't winning any games. I have never come across a situation like this in my life.

Islander102 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
  #761
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I disagree. When you're on the ice, you're in competition with your opponents. It might not be elite-tier, and there might be some jokes between whistles and friendly chirping from the bench, but your purpose is to compete and win.

If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's a guy who is just there to goof around and give a half-assed effort. Putting aside whether you take the league seriously, you owe it to your teammates (and the other team for that matter) to play hard and give your best effort at winning. Even if you're a D-league plug. Uncompetitive players diminish their teammates and waste everyone's time, energy and money.
In the most simplistic way of saying it, you can play adult hockey competitively, but adult hockey is not competitive hockey.

Phil Connors* is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
  #762
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
Not really a vent, but wonder what people's opinions are on the possibility of changing too soon? Sometimes I get gassed before my linemates do, and I wonder what the other lines would think if I changed early, too often. Is there such a thing? Does this disrupt lines?

I wonder out of curiosity, as I'll change if I need to.
I'm of two minds on this. As a player, I always like more ice time, so if someone ahead of me is changing early I'm happy to take an extra 20 or 30 seconds from his/her shift. As a captain, I usually really want to keep my lines together, so if someone is consistently coming off early it can be irritating because it can throw everything off.

There are plenty of skaters with the opposite problem, so you might talk to your captain about it and he can put you in a position where you'll be changing with someone who takes long shifts. That way everything will even out, and the lines can stay together.

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
  #763
Semin
.
 
Semin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,948
vCash: 500
Quit my winter league team at the beginning of September.

Why? Because I don't go from having fun, with a great roster of guys where we win some you lose some to go into this year merging with an "A" league team and having the guy run the team tell most of my good friends their not welcome to play because hes trying to make a beer league team a "dynasty". Most of the guys he told they cannot play he grew up with his whole life! thats absurd. He also told me the season is 650.00 bucks, including new jerseys and socks. Then tells me I have to be a "3rd liner" that gets no PP or PK time, just shifts where I have to go dump and chase, also "create" energy and block shots. Sorry, nothing against blocking shots but I'm not in my teens anymore. I'm not risking my body where I have to wake up for work at 5:15 AM everyday to slide around blocking shots.

It's damn beer league you cannot establish a forecheck without hitting. Also being told if someone pokes the goalie I have to risk a 5 game suspension for dropping the mitts. Crazy thing is, I out scored this guy by 40 points last year. Somehow hes the number 1 center and I'm a third liner.

Semin is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM
  #764
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
In the most simplistic way of saying it, you can play adult hockey competitively, but adult hockey is not competitive hockey.
You are dead on.

timekeep is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:55 PM
  #765
TLow97
Registered User
 
TLow97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Twin Cities MN
Country: United States
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
On that subject.
13 Signs Its Time For a Shift Change

1. If on the fourth face-off of your shift you think you recognize your own center forward from the first face-off: Change
2. Have you skated the length of the ice twice? Change
3. "But I'm not tired" Then you didn't skate hard enough, so Change so that someone who is going to hustle gets a chance to play.
4. Have you been hemmed in your end from the opposing team applying ridiculous pressure? Change
5. "But I didn't touch the puck" Doesn't mean you deserve more ice time, so they can apply more pressure, so you can NOT touch the puck even more, so Change.
6. After 30 seconds of offensive pressure in their zone, they get the puck out and force a face-off in our end. Change.
7. "But it was only 30 seconds!" Yah, but THEY changed. They now have fresh legs in our end against a soon-to-be-bagged line that won't be able to clear the puck because after 20 more seconds they're winded and wished they could get off the ice: So change.
8. After 45 seconds of play in our own zone the puck finally gets cleared: Change
9. "But I thought I could get the puck and have a chance on goal." No, you are too damn tired from playing positional and aggressive defense to skate faster than them. They will get the puck, control it, move it into our zone and you will be trapped again for another minute, lungs and legs burning and completely useless, simply hoping they don't score: So Change
10. 45 Seconds has elapsed. Change
11. "But I'm not tired." Good! Before you get tired, and before you make mistakes because you are tired: Change.
12. The bench is hollering stuff like. "Lets get some fresh legs out there" or "If you're tired get off" or "Change-Up" or "Get the hell off the ice!" Change
13. "I didn't know they were talking to me." They are ALWAYS talking to you, so change.

And if anyone needs an example of when NOT to change:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...n-oilers-goal/


Last edited by TLow97: 03-18-2013 at 11:06 AM.
TLow97 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 03:28 AM
  #766
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I disagree. When you're on the ice, you're in competition with your opponents. It might not be elite-tier, and there might be some jokes between whistles and friendly chirping from the bench, but your purpose is to compete and win.

If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's a guy who is just there to goof around and give a half-assed effort. Putting aside whether you take the league seriously, you owe it to your teammates (and the other team for that matter) to play hard and give your best effort at winning. Even if you're a D-league plug. Uncompetitive players diminish their teammates and waste everyone's time, energy and money.
Why can't you play hard and put in your best effort while at the same time not care if you win or not? There are a lot of different variables in play here, for me it's the effort and the competitiveness that makes a hockey game fun. Getting the W, except where it extends your season, is irrelevant.

RandV is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:49 AM
  #767
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
In the most simplistic way of saying it, you can play adult hockey competitively, but adult hockey is not competitive hockey.
I see what you're saying. "Competitive" has a different meaning for youth leagues than it does for adult leagues. During the developmental stage, "competitive" is a euphemism for "the best talent we can find to represent our program"... as opposed to "recreational" which is a nice way of saying "just try and have fun, kid".

At the adult level, unless you're a professional or a senior-leaguer, everyone gets dumped into the same talent pool and then sorted by the A/B/C/D system. At that point, "competitive" has a different meaning. C and D level hockey is more about skill development than serious competition. But at the A and B levels, there's an expectation that everyone on the ice is going to try as hard as they can to win the game. That's "competitive" hockey from the standpoint of being an adult amateur player. "Recreational" hockey means coming to drop-in and goofing around with your buddies. Unfortunately there are a lot of guys who sign up for organized league play even though they have the mentality of a drop-in player.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Why can't you play hard and put in your best effort while at the same time not care if you win or not? There are a lot of different variables in play here, for me it's the effort and the competitiveness that makes a hockey game fun. Getting the W, except where it extends your season, is irrelevant.
Sure, I agree with that in general. It's not like we're talking about televised hockey here. As long as you're giving your best effort, nobody is going to be too upset whether they win or lose. This is more about guys whose effort level is so low that they are a liability to their teammates, which goes beyond W/L and more into the territory of disrespect/contempt for the team.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
03-18-2013, 11:03 AM
  #768
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I see what you're saying. "Competitive" has a different meaning for youth leagues than it does for adult leagues. During the developmental stage, "competitive" is a euphemism for "the best talent we can find to represent our program"... as opposed to "recreational" which is a nice way of saying "just try and have fun, kid".

At the adult level, unless you're a professional or a senior-leaguer, everyone gets dumped into the same talent pool and then sorted by the A/B/C/D system. At that point, "competitive" has a different meaning. C and D level hockey is more about skill development than serious competition. But at the A and B levels, there's an expectation that everyone on the ice is going to try as hard as they can to win the game. That's "competitive" hockey from the standpoint of being an adult amateur player. "Recreational" hockey means coming to drop-in and goofing around with your buddies. Unfortunately there are a lot of guys who sign up for organized league play even though they have the mentality of a drop-in player.




Sure, I agree with that in general. It's not like we're talking about televised hockey here. As long as you're giving your best effort, nobody is going to be too upset whether they win or lose. This is more about guys whose effort level is so low that they are a liability to their teammates, which goes beyond W/L and more into the territory of disrespect/contempt for the team.
Agreed 100%. You're still signing up for a team, it's a team sport and the concept is if a team does it's best they will win. If you're not in it to help the team win then you should be playing pickup where nobody is keeping score. I wonder if this is a generational gap as the kids being raised today play games where nobody keeps score and we have the laziest generation of kids in the history of the world. On the other hand since we're talking about rec league I think it's up to all types of players to find the best fit for them. If you're on a team where it's win at all costs and if you lose guys are throwing sticks after the game then you can always find a different team. If I'm on a team where nobody cares about winning then I'll find a new team. One thing about being an adult is you're not going to change people's mentality by yelling and screaming at them. Find the place where you belong and you're happy, fun is subjective.

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
  #769
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Oh I needed this thread.

I'm currently on a new team, as our last team kind of dwindled down to nothing as guys moved away. I've played on good teams, lousy teams, inbetween teams, I don't care, I just want to get out there and play hard, but this one takes the cake.

My friend and I are the only two players on this team with any sort of experience in an actual hockey league, and yes, this includes the goaltender. So the results are predictably comical. Which again, is fine, I'm not going to really ***** and moan that my beer league team sucks.

The problem is the actual players. Despite being outscored 16-1 over the first two games, and my buddy and I being the only two players that have generated anything resembling offense, the rest of the team has come to the conclusion that the two of us are what's holding them back. I was absolutely reamed in the locker room for not passing the puck to anyone other than my friend, and was called out for not hustling enough on defense.

I'm not immune to criticism, but the problem is these players have absolutely no idea what the **** they're talking about because they know nothing about hockey. Ignoring the two empty nets I set up one of my teammates with, both were flubbed but whatever, NOBODY IS OPEN, because nobody moves. When I get the puck, players either stand totally still and bang their stick for a pass, or they make a bee-line up the ice. Anyone that has ever played before knows that neither of these options are good passing options. Nobody has the knowledge of how to open up passing lanes and make themselves a target, so I have nobody to pass to when I get the puck.

Defensively, they seem to think that giving max effort means diving all over the defensive zone and sprinting towards whoever has the puck, instead of tracking your assignment and taking away the passing lane. So I got yelled at for "not skating as hard back as I skate up", when I have hardly ever been out of defensive position all year. (I made a commitment to myself before this season even started to be much better backchecking/defensively before I even knew who my teammates were, because I felt my defensive game was lousy last year)

So after the last game, the team decided to split my friend and I up so we can "pass to the rest of the team" because after two games of playing they have decided that the only thing bringing them down is us hogging the puck. I have no problem playing on bad teams with bad players, in fact I would love to help some of them improve their games and learn how to play, but I have never, ever had a problem with any teammate on any team I have been on, my effort or unselfishness has never been questioned by far superior players, but on this team I have to listen to a team-wide ***** fest about how I'M the problem, and the reason they aren't winning any games. I have never come across a situation like this in my life.
I can relate somewhat. I had a friend's wife complain to me that I was a puck hog because I didn't pass to her during some pick-up games I organzied. Well maybe because you turned your back to me when I looked at you and skated away with your stick in the air. Kinda told me you weren't looking for a pass.

I have related situation on my team, we're all kinda sucky (1-3 years experience, basically D level) but one guy is just terrible. He's not athletic to begin with so has little "athletic or team sports intelligance" (if you know what I mean) but to boot wasn't working at getting better (though that seems to be changing). Nice enough guy but when he plays whatever line he is on (we move him around week to week to spread the pain) is playing shorthanded. Then the issue is whether to pass to him or not - choice between being a d**k and not passing or knowing that your pass will be missed or if he somehow does get it he'll panic and throw the puck away so you're back to chasing it down. I usually pass but have looked off a few times, can't help it.

windycity is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
  #770
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Despite being outscored 16-1 over the first two games, and my buddy and I being the only two players that have generated anything resembling offense, the rest of the team has come to the conclusion that the two of us are what's holding them back. I was absolutely reamed in the locker room for not passing the puck to anyone other than my friend, and was called out for not hustling enough on defense.

NOBODY IS OPEN, because nobody moves. When I get the puck, players either stand totally still and bang their stick for a pass, or they make a bee-line up the ice. Anyone that has ever played before knows that neither of these options are good passing options. Nobody has the knowledge of how to open up passing lanes and make themselves a target, so I have nobody to pass to when I get the puck.
That is absolutely ridiculous. It's rec league hockey, nobody should be getting reamed out, especially in a lower division.

And the second part I can relate to. Usually I'm one of the quicker guys on the ice and on the wing and was typically paired with the slowest skater on the other wing to "balance it out". Well, no wonder I get so few assists. This season, I get paired up with some good skaters and puck movers, I'm able to move the puck up to my teammates, and I get more assists than goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm of two minds on this. As a player, I always like more ice time, so if someone ahead of me is changing early I'm happy to take an extra 20 or 30 seconds from his/her shift. As a captain, I usually really want to keep my lines together, so if someone is consistently coming off early it can be irritating because it can throw everything off.
For us, we try to stress 30-45 second shifts and roll the lines quickly. When we do that, we can push the tempo and everyone has more energy.

It only takes one or two long shifts to throw everything out of whack, then everyone starts playing for 90 seconds, the whole game drags, and we're pulling the puck out of our net.

I'm kind of hoping the spring league I signed up for has smaller rosters though. Playing with two lines was fun, although exhausting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Then tells me I have to be a "3rd liner" that gets no PP or PK time, just shifts where I have to go dump and chase, also "create" energy and block shots. Sorry, nothing against blocking shots but I'm not in my teens anymore. I'm not risking my body where I have to wake up for work at 5:15 AM everyday to slide around blocking shots.

It's damn beer league you cannot establish a forecheck without hitting. Also being told if someone pokes the goalie I have to risk a 5 game suspension for dropping the mitts. Crazy thing is, I out scored this guy by 40 points last year. Somehow hes the number 1 center and I'm a third liner.
rec league Scotty Bowman? I think if I were on a team that had dedicated PP and PK units I'd walk.

Only time we stack anything is when we pull the goalie for the extra attacker and try to get a scorer on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Agreed 100%. You're still signing up for a team, it's a team sport and the concept is if a team does it's best they will win. If you're not in it to help the team win then you should be playing pickup where nobody is keeping score.

If you're on a team where it's win at all costs and if you lose guys are throwing sticks after the game then you can always find a different team. If I'm on a team where nobody cares about winning then I'll find a new team. One thing about being an adult is you're not going to change people's mentality by yelling and screaming at them. Find the place where you belong and you're happy, fun is subjective.
There's certainly a balance between being competitive and trying to win versus not taking it to seriously. That's one thing I like about my team. There's never negativity (or at least there's not a culture of it), it's stressing working hard on the ice, getting better as hockey players, and having fun.

I've been on teams that are super competitive and I hated it. Haven't been on a team that doesn't give a crap though.

Jarick is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 01:23 PM
  #771
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That is absolutely ridiculous. It's rec league hockey, nobody should be getting reamed out, especially in a lower division.

And the second part I can relate to. Usually I'm one of the quicker guys on the ice and on the wing and was typically paired with the slowest skater on the other wing to "balance it out". Well, no wonder I get so few assists. This season, I get paired up with some good skaters and puck movers, I'm able to move the puck up to my teammates, and I get more assists than goals.



For us, we try to stress 30-45 second shifts and roll the lines quickly. When we do that, we can push the tempo and everyone has more energy.

It only takes one or two long shifts to throw everything out of whack, then everyone starts playing for 90 seconds, the whole game drags, and we're pulling the puck out of our net.

I'm kind of hoping the spring league I signed up for has smaller rosters though. Playing with two lines was fun, although exhausting.



rec league Scotty Bowman? I think if I were on a team that had dedicated PP and PK units I'd walk.

Only time we stack anything is when we pull the goalie for the extra attacker and try to get a scorer on the ice.



There's certainly a balance between being competitive and trying to win versus not taking it to seriously. That's one thing I like about my team. There's never negativity (or at least there's not a culture of it), it's stressing working hard on the ice, getting better as hockey players, and having fun.

I've been on teams that are super competitive and I hated it. Haven't been on a team that doesn't give a crap though.
I've been on a sponsored team where if we didn't play perfect hockey the captain, who sponsored the team and was also the goalie would critique everybody on the team. I'm competitive and I can handle it so it really didn't bother me. When somebody starts throwing stuff I usually start smiling because that is funny to me and at least I know the guy cares. And I help out a team where there are some older players who are clearly on the downside of their careers to the point where being out of the sport is looking them in the eye. These guys don't train to get better, their diets are crap, they don't upgrade equipment so yelling at them isn't going to do anything. I show up, do my best to help them win and if I feel like I'm not helping then I'll stop playing for them. I'm a sub so it's totally up to me. I was placed on another team that plays 7 miles from my house, good group of guys, they have the same mentality as me and I'm happy. Again, I think the key is to find where you fit. If somebody tells me I'm gonna be on the energy line and kill penalties I'd go to the director and have him place me on another team in the same division and stick it right up that guys behind. And if I feel like I need to work on my fundamentals I go play pickup, seems pretty simple to me.

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
  #772
esidebill
Registered User
 
esidebill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
So I just wanted to say I hate the fact a damn pick up game is $25. Not only that, but the last time was so packed that you get cold on the bench before your next shift.

esidebill is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
  #773
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Agreed 100%. You're still signing up for a team, it's a team sport and the concept is if a team does it's best they will win. If you're not in it to help the team win then you should be playing pickup where nobody is keeping score. I wonder if this is a generational gap as the kids being raised today play games where nobody keeps score and we have the laziest generation of kids in the history of the world. On the other hand since we're talking about rec league I think it's up to all types of players to find the best fit for them. If you're on a team where it's win at all costs and if you lose guys are throwing sticks after the game then you can always find a different team. If I'm on a team where nobody cares about winning then I'll find a new team. One thing about being an adult is you're not going to change people's mentality by yelling and screaming at them. Find the place where you belong and you're happy, fun is subjective.
Sorry, I know this is OT, but this really irks me. It's such an oversimplification of a complex issue.

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
  #774
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Just curious, how many of you guys are willing to toss the body to block a shot, especially on a good chance for the opposition?

I've really started to note the guys on my team who are willing to do it, and they're starting to do it more. I'm trying to determine if this is because they're trying harder to help me out, or if they've gone nuts in regards to playing with me.

I'm mainly curious because i want to know if it's a common thing, or if my guys are becoming more than willing to help me out in net.

For a story, A d man on one of my three teams, while experienced as a winger, started playing D this year. The beginning was a little rough, and even now it's still edge at times. But he has improved quite a bit, doesn't have a quitting attitude and is now ready to dive in front of shots and box guys out a lot bigger than him.

I give this guy a lot of kudos, he makes some great plays and bails me out from time to time, though he still isn't 100% on positioning and duties.

CoopALoop is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
  #775
29Potvins
Registered User
 
29Potvins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm of two minds on this. As a player, I always like more ice time, so if someone ahead of me is changing early I'm happy to take an extra 20 or 30 seconds from his/her shift. As a captain, I usually really want to keep my lines together, so if someone is consistently coming off early it can be irritating because it can throw everything off.

There are plenty of skaters with the opposite problem, so you might talk to your captain about it and he can put you in a position where you'll be changing with someone who takes long shifts. That way everything will even out, and the lines can stay together.
Yeah, I might talk to the team about it. I don't do it often that it has become a problem, but sometimes I wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Just curious, how many of you guys are willing to toss the body to block a shot, especially on a good chance for the opposition?

I've really started to note the guys on my team who are willing to do it, and they're starting to do it more. I'm trying to determine if this is because they're trying harder to help me out, or if they've gone nuts in regards to playing with me.

I'm mainly curious because i want to know if it's a common thing, or if my guys are becoming more than willing to help me out in net.

For a story, A d man on one of my three teams, while experienced as a winger, started playing D this year. The beginning was a little rough, and even now it's still edge at times. But he has improved quite a bit, doesn't have a quitting attitude and is now ready to dive in front of shots and box guys out a lot bigger than him.

I give this guy a lot of kudos, he makes some great plays and bails me out from time to time, though he still isn't 100% on positioning and duties.
As a winger, I will block a shot when I feel I'm in a good position to get it. I usually try to get to the puck as they're winding up, so what usually happens (if I get there in time) is I get my blade on it and it slows down the shot, or I take it off the shins and get a chance to rush up ice. I also always slide feet first to block a shot if I'm diving to do it (not often), and never head first. I'm very thankful I haven't gotten hurt from blocking a shot, but I don't block all that many I guess.

29Potvins is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.