HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Datsyuk WANT to play with Abdelkader?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
  #26
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
I agree with you there... local media just are not in depth enough...

But still, I kinda think that Datsyuk had a part in the decision...
Why? Since when does Babcock let his players call the shots?

People are going out of their way to make excuses.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:48 AM
  #27
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=icKx;61880207]Why? Since when does Babcock let his players call the shots?

People are going out of their way to make excuses.[/QUOTE]

Yep.
One guy actually said that Abdelkader wasn't hurting Datsyuk's production -- as if we haven't watched the last three weeks of hockey.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
  #28
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist
 
caseygraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 234
Yeah, whatever. If Abdelkader kicks in another couple of goals this week you all will be saying "Maybe it just took them a little longer to gel"

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
  #29
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
Yeah, whatever. If Abdelkader kicks in another couple of goals this week you all will be saying "Maybe it just took them a little longer to gel"
Abdelkader now has one empty netter and two goals off his body in 43 games.

It's a long way from Brett ****ing Hull

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
  #30
Heaton
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,975
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I think the fans care more about who Datsyuk plays with than Datsyuk does. I think if Datsyuk hated playing with Cleary and Abdelkader he would talk to Babcock about it and they would change things around.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
  #31
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist
 
caseygraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jackson Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Abdelkader now has one empty netter and two goals off his body in 43 games.

It's a long way from Brett ****ing Hull
Yeah, and Abdelkader cant actually shoot them in either, unlike Hull... I'm with you there...

im not denying that Abdelkader has like, NO skill...

It's just that he is the TYPE of player that Datsyuk would like on his line... sure, Datsyuk would admit privately that he wished Abby had better hands... but a big body player is what is desired here... with injuries and the cap... we dont have many options...

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
  #32
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,176
vCash: 500
They way this kept getting repeated it makes it seem like it's Babs' and Co. trying to get the fans/media to say "Well if Dats wants to/likes playing with Abdelkader, then I guess it's ok."

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
  #33
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think the fans care more about who Datsyuk plays with than Datsyuk does. I think if Datsyuk hated playing with Cleary and Abdelkader he would talk to Babcock about it and they would change things around.
Maybe.

But I think the fans look at it from a big picture view.

A player will do what a coach asks, no matter how stupid.

Fans don't have to buy the company line.

They see Abdelkader and Cleary flubbing passes and losing battles and turning over the puck and limiting the effectiveness of our best player --- and see us losing to ****** teams, so they want changes.

Company-line type fans swallow whatever **** Babcock and Holland spew

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
  #34
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
No, they never said Datsyuk made a request to Babcock.

They said Babcock said Datsyuk wants to play with Abdelkader. And I think it's Babcock covering his ass
Yes, they did say it. I heard it mentioned on NHLN a couple days ago specifically that Datsyuk asked Babcock to keep Abdelkader on his line. Of course you don't believe it, and choose to create yet another fantasy, because it doesn't fit your narrative that you are so blindly attached to, but it was said.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
  #35
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think the fans care more about who Datsyuk plays with than Datsyuk does. I think if Datsyuk hated playing with Cleary and Abdelkader he would talk to Babcock about it and they would change things around.
Stop being reasonable and making excuses for Babcock

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  #36
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Maybe.

But I think the fans look at it from a big picture view.

A player will do what a coach asks, no matter how stupid.

Fans don't have to buy the company line.

They see Abdelkader and Cleary flubbing passes and losing battles and turning over the puck and limiting the effectiveness of our best player --- and see us losing to ****** teams, so they want changes.

Company-line type fans swallow whatever **** Babcock and Holland spew
After you skip past the part about Datsyuk wanting Abdelkader on his line making sense, your conspiracy theories are almost believable

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:42 AM
  #37
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
He is not that patient.
He absolutely is that patient, depending on the player.

Quote:
Yes, they did say it. I heard it mentioned on NHLN a couple days ago specifically that Datsyuk asked Babcock to keep Abdelkader on his line. Of course you don't believe it, and choose to create yet another fantasy, because it doesn't fit your narrative that you are so blindly attached to, but it was said.
Because it's so easy for "yeah I like playing with Abby" to turn into "He specifically requested Abby for his line."

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Datsyuk, looking through the entire roster of forwards, specifically requested Abby as a winger before all others. Show me a video interview, show me the reporter actually asking the question, give me a soundclip for Pete's sake. Give me something more than "I heard >very hard to believe story<"

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
  #38
Jussha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
its funny how when something is stated by the coach regarding something they agree with, all of a sudden that becomes super meaningful, but when its something they don't agree with, such as Babcock singing praises for Stuart calling him the team's best dman a few years ago for like the first 50 games, everyone brushes that off and says Babcock is an idiot and Stuart sucks. The hypocrisy of being a fan I guess lol

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:01 PM
  #39
jaster
glendeningforcaptain
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Because it's so easy for "yeah I like playing with Abby" to turn into "He specifically requested Abby for his line."
It's possible, but I'm not sure what makes it 'so easy.' I'm just relaying what I heard. If people want to claim NHLN and CBC are twisting words, or making things up, that's their prerogative. As someone who hates seeing Abdelkader in the top-6, I just found it interesting. Because even though I was not a proponent of Abs playing with Dats, I could see some good reasons for it. Whether those reasons were Babcock's, Datsyuk's, or some of both, I don't know, but I find it perfectly plausible that it was both.


Quote:
I find it incredibly hard to believe that Datsyuk, looking through the entire roster of forwards, specifically requested Abby as a winger before all others.
Why? Datsyuk's explanation sounded reasonable to me. Obviously Abdelkader isn't a request with everyone healthy, but, other than possibly Tatar when he was up, the other options were no more interesting: Miller, Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton, and Andersson. I mean, at that point, is it really that surprising that Datsyuk would want Abdelkader? And who knows, there could be more to it. Maybe Dats wanted Abs and Tatar, but Babcock said he didn't want Tatar in the top-6, so Dats got Cleary instead. There are a number of possible scenarios, but there's nothing crazy about Datsyuk wanting Abdelkader on his line, given the circumstances.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
  #40
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,870
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Datsyuk's explanation sounded reasonable to me. Obviously Abdelkader isn't a request with everyone healthy, but, other than possibly Tatar when he was up, the other options were no more interesting: Miller, Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton, and Andersson. I mean, at that point, is it really that surprising that Datsyuk would want Abdelkader? And who knows, there could be more to it. Maybe Dats wanted Abs and Tatar, but Babcock said he didn't want Tatar in the top-6, so Dats got Cleary instead. There are a number of possible scenarios, but there's nothing crazy about Datsyuk wanting Abdelkader on his line, given the circumstances.
I pretty much think he could wanted somebody to "play like Homer" there. Because all the career and his prime years between these two lockouts, Datsyuk played mostly with Homer. Zetterberg was on the same line or juggled to his own line, but Homer was always there, and that "Homer's-way" is the Datsyuk's way to use linemates in the offensive-zone.


Last edited by Henkka: 03-18-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
  #41
TheOtherOne
Registered User
 
TheOtherOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,112
vCash: 500
Maybe Abby's body is the most predictable for bouncing pucks off of.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
  #42
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
If people want to claim NHLN and CBC are twisting words, or making things up, that's their prerogative.
It happens all the time. It's called link bait. Come up with headline or whatever that grabs attention, like "Datsyuk actually requested to play with career grinder, Justin Abdelkader!" and then you look into the story and it's actually not quite true. Hell, the media does it with science announcements all the time. Then when you actually read the article or journal it's like "Ehh.. it sorta says that but not really." So until I see a "primary source" I'm skeptical.

Quote:
the other options were no more interesting: Miller, Eaves, Tootoo, Emmerton, and Andersson.
Eaves, Miller, Tootoo are all pretty good along the boards. They all have more offensive touch than Abby. They all hit. He probably wouldn't request Emmerton or Andersson because they're centers and it's not like we're swimming in centers with Helm injured. That's why it's hard for me to believe. Statistically and just based on what I see when I watch the games, Abby is the guy with the lowest offensive instincts on the entire team. Defense included. And he's not so good at winning board battles and getting the puck to Datsyuk that I think he would have specifically requested him first among all others. Maybe he was on a list and Babcock chose it, maybe he didn't say anything of the sort.

Doesn't pass the sniff test to me and there's zero support for it, so until that comes, I remain skeptical.
Quote:
I pretty much think he could wanted somebody to "play like Homer" there. Because all the career and his prime years between these two lockouts, Datsyuk played mostly with Homer. Zetterberg was on the same line or juggled to his own line, but Homer was always there, and that "Homer's-way" the Datsyuk's way to use linemates in the offensive-zone.
Abby is nothing like Homer though. Homer didn't hit. Homer was pure puck possession. He was way better on the boards than Abby. His vision and passing was better. His hand eye was 100x better. You threw the puck at the net, he'd use his stick to deflect it in, not his skate or his chest. There's like, very little similarity between the two.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
  #43
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Abby is nothing like Homer though. Homer didn't hit. Homer was pure puck possession. He was way better on the boards than Abby. His vision and passing was better. His hand eye was 100x better. You threw the puck at the net, he'd use his stick to deflect it in, not his skate or his chest. There's like, very little similarity between the two.
Quoting this for emphasis, particularly the puck possession point.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:21 PM
  #44
Sameheda
Registered User
 
Sameheda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Abby is nothing like Homer though. Homer didn't hit. Homer was pure puck possession. He was way better on the boards than Abby. His vision and passing was better. His hand eye was 100x better. You threw the puck at the net, he'd use his stick to deflect it in, not his skate or his chest. There's like, very little similarity between the two.
Maybe I'm just going off the last few years of Homer's time with Detroit, but this is some ********. Homer was a giveaway machine. Sure he occasionally put the puck on Dats stick but he was a terrible passer. His only redeeming quality was that he was willing to battle in front of the net and was good at deflecting pucks. He was a TERRIBLE, I repeat, TERRIBLE stick handler.

Nobody is going to be amazing in front of the net and on the boards without years of practice. Abby needs time to adjust to being in that type of role. As far as I can tell, that's exactly why he's playing on that line; he's Homer's replacement.

Sameheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:02 PM
  #45
CouchScout
Registered User
 
CouchScout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
I've said this exact same thing for weeks now, Pavel likes to have a big-bodied guy with him at all times for grinding, someone would have been done WAY earlier if he disliked it, Hes freakin Datsyuk, theres no way Babcock wouldnt listen to his demands.

CouchScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
  #46
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,255
vCash: 500
I really hope Bertuzzi gets healthy so we can go back to complaining about his production on Datsyuk's line. Beating up on Abby just doesn't feel as fun, ya know? Dude never even came close to a scoring title.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
  #47
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchScout View Post
I've said this exact same thing for weeks now, Pavel likes to have a big-bodied guy with him at all times for grinding, someone would have been done WAY earlier if he disliked it, Hes freakin Datsyuk, theres no way Babcock wouldnt listen to his demands.
It's more like "He's freaking Datsyuk, no way he makes demands."

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
  #48
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameheda View Post
He was a TERRIBLE, I repeat, TERRIBLE stick handler.
No he wasn't. He was just too slow to put those skills to use for the most part. He was great on the boards too.

First thing that came to mind:

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:21 PM
  #49
WorkingOvertime
Registered User
 
WorkingOvertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchScout View Post
I've said this exact same thing for weeks now, Pavel likes to have a big-bodied guy with him at all times for grinding, someone would have been done WAY earlier if he disliked it, Hes freakin Datsyuk, theres no way Babcock wouldnt listen to his demands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I really hope Bertuzzi gets healthy so we can go back to complaining about his production on Datsyuk's line. Beating up on Abby just doesn't feel as fun, ya know? Dude never even came close to a scoring title.
I think this is the case- Dats likes having a big body to work in the corners and crash the net. With Bert injured, the Wings don't have anyone other than Abby who can do these things well. On the physical side, Abby leads the team by over 20 hits (the nearest top-6 six player, Mule, has less than half as many hits). Other than Bert, the Wings (sadly) don't have anyone more capable of being a physical top-6 player. Also, the Wings prospect pool isn't flush with these players either.

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #50
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOvertime View Post
I think this is the case- Dats likes having a big body to work in the corners and crash the net. With Bert injured, the Wings don't have anyone other than Abby who can do these things well. On the physical side, Abby leads the team by over 20 hits (the nearest top-6 six player, Mule, has less than half as many hits). Other than Bert, the Wings (sadly) don't have anyone more capable of being a physical top-6 player. Also, the Wings prospect pool isn't flush with these players either.
Sucks for Pavel that he's had these off-brand/clearance rack "power forwards," then. I would like to see Abby continue his physical play from the Vancouver game, as that was the first one in while where he was throwing meaningful big hits and not just little fly-by checks.

Bert is clearly more skilled than Abby (as is the rest of the roster, D and goalies included), but it's been years since he's been any kind of consistent physical force. He hasn't gone to the net a lot in the last few years and rarely uses his frame. I'm still rooting for the LTIR solution for him next year, b/c I cringe at how having him healthy would clog up the top 6 next season.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.