HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
shogun99

vCash: 500
I think Smid is a goner and as much as we want an actual NHL player coming back, no team will give one up for a rental. I think Smid will get us a first, third and a B level prospect. Hopefully one of Teubert and Klefbom can replace him.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Fuhryous

If the Pens miss out on Iginla, be it he goes to another team or stays in Calgary, I could see them making a pitch for Hemsky. I'm not sure what the return would be, but maybe they would want Belanger too for centre depth.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Mr Sakich

Watching the Leafs on Saturday, it is clear they need a steady defensive dman and a goaltending upgrade.

Smid may be the best available dman at the deadline. Khabi may be the best available goaltender at the deadline. Toronto needs both and have Gardiner.

strange deadline for sure. Not many sellers and something like this might happen.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Watching the Leafs on Saturday, it is clear they need a steady defensive dman and a goaltending upgrade.

Smid may be the best available dman at the deadline. Khabi may be the best available goaltender at the deadline. Toronto needs both and have Gardiner.

strange deadline for sure. Not many sellers and something like this might happen.
They have two guys that should be "steady" sitting in the pressbox.

They need less Plugs, but they love their plugs because Don loves their plugs.

I still say the best and most likely destination for Habby at the deadline is Boston, they have Rask who can carry the mail, no question, but Khudobin is the back, not highly experienced. With Habby as a UFA this summer, he might make the perfect back up for team making a Cup Run.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:34 AM
oilers_smyth_94

I don't think Smid's getting traded. There would be a massive uproar if he was. He's the only consistent defenseman we have back there that can log the minutes and play a solid defensive game, and not to mention a leader in the room. Getting Klefbom or Teubert to replace all of that? You can't tell me that's remotely possible without getting mighty comfy in last place.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:48 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I think a contract will get done quickly between the sides. Negotiations for him should be quick.

As for RNH, it's likely his agent will play the "wait and see" game, hoping for an explosive 3rd season before cashing in on a 2nd contract.
For me it's Gagner's negotiations that will be most intriguing this coming off-season. He's going to be a hot commodity, and with the forward group we have there might be a decent amount of player movement this off-season.

Of course, with a GM like Tambo, that never happens.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I think a contract will get done quickly between the sides. Negotiations for him should be quick.

As for RNH, it's likely his agent will play the "wait and see" game, hoping for an explosive 3rd season before cashing in on a 2nd contract.
For me it's Gagner's negotiations that will be most intriguing this coming off-season. He's going to be a hot commodity, and with the forward group we have there might be a decent amount of player movement this off-season.

Of course, with a GM like Tambo, that never happens.
Gagner will be an interesting one, he's done everything you could really ask of him at this point. Desharnis 3.5 makes me breathe a little bit easier for now.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
joestevens29

Gm meetings start Wednesday, be interesting to see if some movement finally starts across the league. We have to for sure sellers in Buffalo and Florida, bunch of others right on the line.

Also interesting that Riberio is on the market. Would've thought they'd keep him until they were completely out. Guy is doing quite well this year with 31 points, wonder if teammates are sick of him already though.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Gm meetings start Wednesday, be interesting to see if some movement finally starts across the league. We have to for sure sellers in Buffalo and Florida, bunch of others right on the line.

Also interesting that Riberio is on the market. Would've thought they'd keep him until they were completely out. Guy is doing quite well this year with 31 points, wonder if teammates are sick of him already though.
i'll never forget his chicken ing dance on the ice in the playoffs, not really a guy you want to have to go on a deep run.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Gagner will be an interesting one, he's done everything you could really ask of him at this point. Desharnis 3.5 makes me breathe a little bit easier for now.
How? Desharnais has 11 points less than Gagner. The point/game differential is massive.

0.57 ppg vs 0.96. They both bring a similar non-offensive package as well.

I guess you bring up a good point though, because Deharnais' production the last 2 seasons (0.70) is similar to Gagner's (0.72).

But the "what have you done for me lately?" nature of this league and it's contracts suggests that Desharnais making 3.5M means Gagner is poised to make >$4.5M.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
BowDangles

I really hope the Oilers resign Smid, they are in no position going forward to dump their only NHL caliber defence man..

If their was a deal, lets say Smid and Khabi for Gardiner I would look at it but I really REALLY hope they don't trade him for draft picks..

These next 5-6 games will determine what the Oilers are going to do at the TD.. I am under the impression that they will either sell off the UFAs if they are out of it and not make any kind of splash if they are in it..

I don't think they think that this team can go deep even if they are in contention come trade deadline so I can't see them trading a bunch of picks/prospects for rentals..

Old
03-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Fuhryous

I have a good feeling about Smid being re-signed. I'm just speculating, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him take a home-town discount to stay here.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

Kiprusoff might be the best goalie at the deadline if Calgary makes him available. Him to Toronto might be a move that could be good for both teams.

The only other team that I could see making a movie for a goalie is Carolina. But it would just be insurance until Ward came back. Very small chance they take the risk on Khabby if he hasn't been healthy for 2 seasons.

I really don't see any team taking a chance on Khabby. I hope I'm wrong.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:50 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Kiprusoff might be the best goalie at the deadline if Calgary makes him available. Him to Toronto might be a move that could be good for both teams.

The only other team that I could see making a movie for a goalie is Carolina. But it would just be insurance until Ward came back. Very small chance they take the risk on Khabby if he hasn't been healthy for 2 seasons.

Like jimmi said I could see Boston taking a chance, as well as Carolina, or even Pittsburgh.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:52 AM
DIBZ

Quote:

Given Khabby's playoff track record, I think he will get a lot of interest, I don't see someone over paying for him to be an isurance clause, but the interest should be there. I'd see him going for a 2nd or 3rd depending on which team thinks they have a cup with no confidence in there tendy's.

If he goes, or when he goes in the summer, what is our plan, do we really have anyone in the system worth bringing into the roster, or is the time right to go after a guy like Ben Bishop-ish??

Old
03-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Koto

pittsburgh makes sense, both of their goalies have been dreadful.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
backhandsauce

I wonder if Buffalo would trade Ott for a 2nd and Hartikainen or a centre like Lander?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
I wonder if Buffalo would trade Ott for a 2nd and Hartikainen or a centre like Lander?
I would have no problem moving Lander in a deal for Ott.

I wonder if you could expand it,

To BUF: Hartikainen, Lander and 2 2nd round picks

To Edm: Ott and Stafford

Old
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
misfit

Buffalo gave up their #1C to get Ott. From all accounts, they're still very happy with him and don't really have much reason to trade him.

I don't see any way Lander/Hartikainen and a 2nd gets it done.

03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Kipper kinda sucks this year and has been hampered with injuries and now I think his wife gave birth. I don't know that he's and ideal goalie for anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Buffalo gave up their #1C to get Ott. From all accounts, they're still very happy with him and don't really have much reason to trade him.

I don't see any way Lander/Hartikainen and a 2nd gets it done.
Ya I don't see Ott coming this way unless it's for a massive overpayment. At 3.2mil a year he's a cheap contract. Could however be dealt if they find out he wants out or won't sign an extension in the summer.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
Given Khabby's playoff track record, I think he will get a lot of interest, I don't see someone over paying for him to be an isurance clause, but the interest should be there. I'd see him going for a 2nd or 3rd depending on which team thinks they have a cup with no confidence in there tendy's.

If he goes, or when he goes in the summer, what is our plan, do we really have anyone in the system worth bringing into the roster, or is the time right to go after a guy like Ben Bishop-ish??
Yeah he has a good playoff record....but the last time he played in the playoffs was 2009, and previous to that was 2004. And he didn't exactly have great numbers in the playoffs 4 years ago.

If Khabibulin plays a few games and does well then he will spark some interest. But above all else he needs to be healthy until the deadline. Its been nearly a month since he has been healthy enough to dress. And hes only started 4 games this year.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
DIBZ

Quote:
Yeah he has a good playoff record....but the last time he played in the playoffs was 2009, and previous to that was 2004. And he didn't exactly have great numbers in the playoffs 4 years ago.

If Khabibulin plays a few games and does well then he will spark some interest. But above all else he needs to be healthy until the deadline. Its been nearly a month since he has been healthy enough to dress. And hes only started 4 games this year.
I agree, I just don't see him being used as a number 1, but to jump in and steal a game or 2, to spark a team, I'd take the risk. But like you said, big health risk with his groin.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

I think a good move on the backup goaltending front would be to sign/invite a bunch of guys from europe.

Stauffer mentionned some guy from Sweden. Niko Hovinen from the farm team and Kruger has some connections in the Swiss league i'm sure we can put to good use.

If you are able to do so, why not invite two or three guys into camp and let them duke it out for a back up spot.

Anaheim was able to dig out some 30 year old from the SEL. I'm sure the Oilers can find a decent back up without having to waste assets on a guy like Bishop or sign a guy for more than he's worth on the UFA market.

I always liked Reto Berra from the few times i got to see him. Not sure what his status is with STL. I'm sure there's a guy out there that's decent enough.The oilers don't need the next Pekka Rinne (although it would be nice ). They just need a guy who can not suck 20 games a year.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:32 PM
jmoss45

I would really like to see Brian Campbell here. There is always lots of talk about Jbo, but Campbell is a similar but better player. He's also only 3 mil/year more than Whitney for another 2 years.

I wonder what it would take to get him?

Smid-Petry
Schultz- Schultz
Campbell-Fistric
Klefbom

That's an awesome but affordable D core.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
dnicks17

You want a $7M+ defenseman on the 3rd pairing?

Closed Thread