HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Young Cores In The NHL.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
When I think of core, I thinking players who are you teams go to players, the players that stir the drink and drag the team along with them. No prospects, you may have great prospect depth and potentially and amazing core in the future but what matters is right now.

Right now

Edmonton
Tampa
Montreal
Colorado
St Louis
Chicago

Future

Edmonton
Minnesota
Islanders
Montreal

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

G-Price

D-Subban
D-Emelin

F-Galchenyuk
F-Gallagher
F-Eller
F-Pacioretty

Then you got some guys that are borderline (over 25 or prospects) like Desharnais, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg and Diaz.
Price is going to be 26 within 5 months. So what's the cutoff for "young" in this analysis? 25 years old or younger? So the 2005 NHL draft and later?

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Neal, Letang, Sutter, Depres, etc from the 2005 draft or later

Chicago has Toews, Kane, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Saad, Crawford, etc

Ottawa has Karlsson, Turris, Zbad, Lehner, Silferberg, Cowen, etc

St. Louis has Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Perron, Berglund, Tarasenko, Shwartz, Allen, etc

Colorado has Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, EJ, Varlamov, etc.

So yea, while I think Montreal has a well balanced strong young group. There are definitely a number of comparables out there. Montreal might have the best balance of the bunch, thoguh Galchenyuks upside is still a question mark, but other teams still have better top players even if the other core pieces aren't quite as strong.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Flames win this by a mile:

Iginla - 35
Tanguay - 33
Jay Bo - 29
Kipper - 36

I know you are all super jealous.
yikes

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
I would take Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton and even freaking McQuaid before I would ever take Diaz.

You continue to put the Habs on a pedestal. They aren't underachieving this season, but they still have a long way to go. Stop trying to bash other teams. Not to mention, playoffs are a whole different ball game, and the Bruins are built for a long run.
I praised alot of team here
Not trying to bash anyone. Just trying to prove that people are ignorant and making statements as in : Diaz is the same quality as Weber/Kaberle when he's our second best dman. I too, would take Seidenberg and Chara right now over him, thats why I said 3rd best Dman. I'd take Hamilton if it was for futures for sure too...
McQuaid? I love the guy(well love the player hate the guy kind of relation) but he's a good(very) good bottom pairing Dman.

I'm seriously not bashing anyone here.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Price is going to be 26 within 5 months. So what's the cutoff for "young" in this analysis? 25 years old or younger? So the 2005 NHL draft and later?

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Neal, Letang, Sutter, Depres, etc from the 2005 draft or later

Chicago has Toews, Kane, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Saad, Crawford, etc

Ottawa has Karlsson, Turris, Zbad, Lehner, Silferberg, Cowen, etc

St. Louis has Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Perron, Berglund, Tarasenko, Shwartz, Allen, etc

Colorado has Duchene, ROR, Landeskog, EJ, Varlamov, etc.

So yea, while I think Montreal has a well balanced strong young group. There are definitely a number of comparables out there. Montreal might have the best balance of the bunch, thoguh Galchenyuks upside is still a question mark, but other teams still have better top players even if the other core pieces aren't quite as strong.
And has anybody said otherwise?

I don't think so.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
sirmaxalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I praised alot of team here
Not trying to bash anyone. Just trying to prove that people are ignorant and making statements as in : Diaz is the same quality as Weber/Kaberle when he's our second best dman. I too, would take Seidenberg and Chara right now over him, thats why I said 3rd best Dman. I'd take Hamilton if it was for futures for sure too...
McQuaid? I love the guy(well love the player hate the guy kind of relation) but he's a good(very) good bottom pairing Dman.

I'm seriously not bashing anyone here.
Read your past posts. yes, you are. Both people and teams.

You also just referred to me as ignorant because I didn't know the healthy scratch rotation for your team even though made a note of it asking for the Diaz correction if possible. Although Captain Smurf was polite enough not to deliver a rude response as we are conversing.

We get it, you're very confrontational and protective when discussing your team and like to attack others that are offering a different opinion, but this is HFBoards and you're not going to like a lot of opinions here

We aren't downplaying Montreal's youth or depth, but if you call our depth poor and our teams older, we have the right to pack that up with statistics and valid arguments.

sirmaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Iginla - 35
Tanguay - 33
Jay Bo - 29
Kipper - 36
Is Bouwmeester really only 29? Seems like he's been around forever.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Kopiterror

Core players should be top 6 forwards, top pairing d-men, or #1 goalies ALREADY. If they are not currently in one of those positions they can't possibly be a core player yet. Seems to me Boston, LA , Pitt, and Chicago have the best young cores already contributing. If the thread were discussing teams with the best future, you could add some other teams to the list, but those four would probably still be at the top of the list, because their young cores have already proven they can contribute at an elite level in the NHL, and they seem unlikely to fall off of the map any time soon.

Kopiterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaxalot View Post
Read your past posts. yes, you are. Both people and teams.

You also just referred to me as ignorant because I didn't know the healthy scratch rotation for your team even though made a note of it asking for the Diaz correction if possible. Although Captain Smurf was polite enough not to deliver a rude response as we are conversing.

We get it, you're very confrontational and protective when discussing your team and like to attack others that are offering a different opinion, but this is HFBoards and you're not going to like a lot of opinions here

We aren't downplaying Montreal's youth or depth, but if you call our depth poor and our teams older, we have the right to pack that up with statistics and valid arguments.
Yeah, I gave up with you.
I tried explaining it to you kindly but you just denied all I said and came back with another foolish argument.

It's not statistics, opinion or anything subjective. It's facts.

Your NHL D corp is old and you only have McQuaid and Hamilton under 26 that can make an impact right now... This is what this thread is about.
Members of the team that makes an impact right now and in the future.
Will Chara make an impact in the future ? No, he'll be long gone. Seidenberg ? NO. Ference? No. Boychuck? NO.

Your D depth is weak as of right now, and there's nothing to more to say about that.
You still have one of the best young core in the league and I never denied that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Is Bouwmeester really only 29? Seems like he's been around forever.
Because he's been around forever He started what 11 seasons ago?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopiterror View Post
Core players should be top 6 forwards, top pairing d-men, or #1 goalies ALREADY. If they are not currently in one of those positions they can't possibly be a core player yet. Seems to me Boston, LA , Pitt, and Chicago have the best young cores already contributing. If the thread were discussing teams with the best future, you could add some other teams to the list, but those four would probably still be at the top of the list, because their young cores have already proven they can contribute at an elite level in the NHL, and they seem unlikely to fall off of the map any time soon.
I think OP meant best young core in the NHL
Which means NOW and in the FUTURE

Old
03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think OP meant best young core in the NHL
Which means NOW and in the FUTURE
yes, but I don't think calling players part of your core when they haven't played an NHL game is a bit ridiculous. IF you look back at what teams claimed to be their future core 5 years ago and I bet you get some downright laughable lists

My interpretation is what team has a strongest core that is young enough to be effective for a very long time (somewhere around 25/26 or younger).

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Bob Cole

The cup will be coming back to Canada soon. Ottawa, Edmonton and Montreal have great young cores and prospects. I could see any of these three winning the cup in the next 5 years.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
For me I think it is Boston, Ottawa, or Montreal, unlike most teams they have fairly young starting goaltenders and both have young guys that look like they could be #1 defensemen and #1 centermen. Most other teams like Philly and Edmonton have great young forwards, a good young defensemen but for me the goal tending is the difference.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
yes, but I don't think calling players part of your core when they haven't played an NHL game is a bit ridiculous. IF you look back at what teams claimed to be their future core 5 years ago and I bet you get some downright laughable lists

My interpretation is what team has a strongest core that is young enough to be effective for a very long time (somewhere around 25/26 or younger).
Damn I tought I was clear sorry

I meant core players NOW and in the FUTURE

as in they're core players NOW and in the FUTURE

X player is playing right now and is part of Y teams core
X player will play in 10 years and be part of Y's core

Old
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
For me I think it is Boston, Ottawa, or Montreal, unlike most teams they have fairly young starting goaltenders and both have young guys that look like they could be #1 defensemen and #1 centermen. Most other teams like Philly and Edmonton have great young forwards, a good young defensemen but for me the goal tending is the difference.
Colorado and LA also come to mind.(Although Quick is a bit older.)

Old
03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Damn I tought I was clear sorry

I meant core players NOW and in the FUTURE

as in they're core players NOW and in the FUTURE

X player is playing right now and is part of Y teams core
X player will play in 10 years and be part of Y's core
fair enough, carry on

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:02 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Colorado and LA also come to mind.(Although Quick is a bit older.)
The core of La is a bit older as well Richards,Carter,Brown are all 28.

Colorado is another good team, I don't how I forgot them but yes they fit the mold of having young top players at all 3 key positions.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
The core of La is a bit older as well Richards,Carter,Brown are all 28.

Colorado is another good team, I don't how I forgot them but yes they fit the mold of having young top players at all 3 key positions.
I look at it this way
Kopitar, Doughty, Voynov, Quick all under 25(except from quick who's not far from that) and all top players. Voynov is the worst one, this says alot

Old
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
sirmaxalot

[QUOTE=Mrb1p;61882719]Yeah, I gave up with you.
I tried explaining it to you kindly but you just denied all I said and came back with another foolish argument.

It's not statistics, opinion or anything subjective. It's facts.

Your NHL D corp is old and you only have McQuaid and Hamilton under 26 that can make an impact right now... This is what this thread is about.
Members of the team that makes an impact right now and in the future.
Will Chara make an impact in the future ? No, he'll be long gone. Seidenberg ? NO. Ference? No. Boychuck? NO.

Your D depth is weak as of right now, and there's nothing to more to say about that.
You still have one of the best young core in the league and I never denied that.

Thank you for acknowledging our team as a whole, but the second statement about making an impact right now is debatable since they have allowed the least amount of goals in the NHL. Right now, which is what you said, that's good is it not?

We have youth waiting that are very promising, but do you move people out when they are posting the best defensive numbers? What would you do in this case? Would you sacrifice the most working system we have to bring in players JUST based on youth and not actual defensive depth? There's a new thread in itself LOL

sirmaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
bert

Quote:
Core players ? not young prospect CORE
How can you possibly justify including Gallagher and Galchenyuk in Montreals core and not include Zibanejad or Silfverberg? Please enlighten me.

Edit* I just read through this entire thread and feel significantly less intelligent.

Last edited by bert: 03-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.
bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Girgenburger

I'm a Buffalo fan until the end and am fond of most of the young talent we possess. I'd be fine with building a team around:

Hodgson
Ennis
Armia
Myers
Foligno
Grigorenko
Girgensons
McNabb
McCabe
Pysyk

Okay, I'll answer the question.

I don't think anyone can touch Montreal or Chicago when it comes to their "young core".

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Dubnyk has been pretty damn good since the middle of last season. He's top 10 in save % and is just as good or better than any young goalie Ottawa can start. He's got a ways to go before people start buying in, which is fair, but he is establishing himself as a solid #1.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I look at it this way
Kopitar, Doughty, Voynov, Quick all under 25(except from quick who's not far from that) and all top players. Voynov is the worst one, this says alot
True I guess it depends on who you think the core is, I see it as
Brown,Carter,Richards,Doughty,Voynov,Quick,Kopitar average age is 26

Compared to (probably the best young core in my opinion) Ottawa
Karlsson,Spezza,Turris,Zib,Silfverberg,Cowen,Lehne r average is 22.5

Old
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
Dubnyk has been pretty damn good since the middle of last season. He's top 10 in save % and is just as good or better than any young goalie Ottawa can start. He's got a ways to go before people start buying in, which is fair, but he is establishing himself as a solid #1.
I am a big Dubnyk fan (I defended him last year a lot) but he isn't on the same level as Price,Rask,Anderson and Lehner will be much better in a couple of years imo. He is a very good goalie just won't be on the same level.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Sens91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
Come on.

Sens91 is offline   Reply With Quote