HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours Thread Part V: Gaborik "available"; LeBrun: NYR interested in D. Boyle

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
RangersChamps2417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I agree with this but what do we give up to get that? Most Ranger fans would be against the idea of trading some youth to make a run at the 6th - 8th seed. I doubt we will deal more picks since we already missing our first rounder.
That is true. Idk really. In that case maybe trading Gabby and Boyle for two depth guys, a prospect and pick may not be the worst thing. Who knows maybe we put Kreider in Gabby's spot and he takes off. Happens all the time in sports

Old
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers need more speed and skill. They need more physical players. They need so much. The coach is trying the pat on the back method now. They are such an easy team to play against. They need more snarl on the backend.
I think that is the major concern at this point. The team is incredibly easy to play against.

Keep Richards and Gaborik to the outside.

Get to the puck first when Pyatt and Boyle are out there and they can't do much.

Hagelin, Stepan and Nash will get their chances, weather the storm.

Get to the front of the net and drive hard. The Rangers have no one dressed who will be able to move you from in front.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think you're going to get that kind of package for him at this point. It's likely to be one valuable piece, plus a cap balancer and maybe a pick. Booth + 1st. Booth, Tanev/Gaunce and a 3rd. Booth and Jensen Something like that if Vancouver even wants to try and make the deal.

The Wings don't have much to give that could contribute right now. I doubt they want to give up Tatar or Nyqvist in a deal.

I don't think the Preds will give you their top-scoring winger in exchange for Gaborik. They're also a team with an internal budget, so they'll want to balance out the salary. Most of their high-priced guys have NMC's or NTC's. Kostitsyn doesn't, but would anyone really expect him to be a target after what he pulled against the Oilers? We might actually see Tortorella murder a player on the bench.
They will get the same thing most other teams have gotten for a player like Gaborik:

Good young NHL player + top-end prospect + Pick + Player to even out the cap.

Kassian + Jensen + 1st/2nd + Raymond/Booth

Quote:
Gaborik was excellent for the majority of his tenure here. What changed? The system surely didn't change, so why is he all of a sudden in this situation? Torts has never liked Gaborik. He's put up with him as long as he was scoring goals because he was our only offensive weapon. Now he has Nash and he no longer has to put up with Gaborik and his flaws. He has a big, hard-hitting version of Gaborik to lean on. He's pushing Gabby out the door with both hands.

Torts wanted Richards. He got him. Torts has plenty of tools to work with. He just refuses to adapt.
Gaborik has looked disinterested in going into the dirty areas at all this season. If I was Torts I would be fed up with that crap too. If he lets Gaborik do it, why can't Miller do it too? This team needs to grow a pair and start grinding it out.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
They will get the same thing most other teams have gotten for a player like Gaborik:

Good young NHL player + top-end prospect + Pick + Player to even out the cap.

Kassian + Jensen + 1st/2nd + Raymond/Booth
Entirely different circumstances. Richards and Carter were cost controlled and considerably younger. They also both play a complete game as they can play a physical game and are defensively responsible. Both can PK very well. Richards also has a laundry list of intangibles.

Nash does things Gaborik does not. He dominates the ice. He plays a physical game. He can kill penalties. He's a better overall player, if not a better player entirely.

Now Gaborik has the stigma of "lazy" which is only going to drive his value down further.

Quote:
Gaborik has looked disinterested in going into the dirty areas at all this season. If I was Torts I would be fed up with that crap too. If he lets Gaborik do it, why can't Miller do it too? This team needs to grow a pair and start grinding it out.
We need our grinders to start grinding it out, and our scorers to start hitting the back of the net. Asking a player like Gaborik to spend his game along the boards is stupid. He's done everything Torts asked of him since he came here. I was at the Pittsburgh game on Saturday and Gaborik was one of the few players who spent a lot of time mucking it out and working his way around the net. He's uncomfortable where he is. He's played his best hockey when put on a line with people who ease the burden on him to do all of the dirty work. He's just not that kind of player.

Forcing players to play a game they're not suited for is a recipe for failure. You maximize your assets for the best results. You don't force them into a spot where they're less likely to succeed.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:09 AM
NikC

Quote:
Entirely different circumstances. Richards and Carter were cost controlled and considerably younger. They also both play a complete game as they can play a physical game and are defensively responsible. Both can PK very well. Richards also has a laundry list of intangibles.

Nash does things Gaborik does not. He dominates the ice. He plays a physical game. He can kill penalties. He's a better overall player, if not a better player entirely.

Now Gaborik has the stigma of "lazy" which is only going to drive his value down further.

M.Richards yes, Carter? definitely no. i work in Philly. Carter was ripped for all the reasons Gaborik is... Carter was younger that's it.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

We need our grinders to start grinding it out, and our scorers to start hitting the back of the net. Asking a player like Gaborik to spend his game along the boards is stupid. He's done everything Torts asked of him since he came here. I was at the Pittsburgh game on Saturday and Gaborik was one of the few players who spent a lot of time mucking it out and working his way around the net. He's uncomfortable where he is. He's played his best hockey when put on a line with people who ease the burden on him to do all of the dirty work. He's just not that kind of player.

Forcing players to play a game they're not suited for is a recipe for failure. You maximize your assets for the best results. You don't force them into a spot where they're less likely to succeed.
Carter and Richards were known party-goers.

Nash had a NMC he would only waive for a few teams. Out of those teams, the Rangers were the only ones who could afford him and were willing to even offer a decent package.

If Nash had not had a NMC, the return would have been MUCH better for Columbus.

There will be teams lining up for a shot at Gaborik. He is fresh off of a 41 goal season and he isn't just some flash in the pan. He is a consistent 30-40 goal scorer.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I guess we're all rooting for Marian tonight, so he doesn't end up getting dealt for Kurtis Foster and a turkey sandwich without mayo.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so this Gaborik talk is getting real, I get he makes 7.5 but he only has one yr left so saying thats hard to move especially to a cap floor team is just not that big a deal I would think

they HAVE to get the right deal to move him though otherwise no dice
What reason would a cap floor team have to trade for him? Those teams are at the cap floor for a reason. Gabby's salary is 7.5 next year, so they wouldn't be saving anything. And if those teams are low in the standings, there isn't much point to acquiring him at the deadline.

There probably aren't many teams who can afford to take on his contract AND have a need for him this season. He would be much easier to trade at the draft.

But one team that may be a possibility is dallas. They aren't quite a cap floor team and they will have plenty of space available next season. If they fall further behind, maybe we can swing a deal with them.

Gabby + Boyle for Jagr + Morrow + 2nd + prospect

We get 2 players who probably don't have a future in dallas, but can help us this season, and then are off the books next season, giving us a ton of cap space. And we get a 2nd in a deep draft and a prospect for the future.

Then maybe we flip our 2nd or 3rd round pick + Gilroy (for contract limit purposes) for defensive help.

I know everyone wants a young player that has high upside and can grow with the team, but something like this might be more reasonable.

Edit: I realize Jagr plays RW, but we wouldn't be re-signing him anyway, and he can help us in the short term. If dallas was willing to give up Eakin instead, I'd be interested, but I doubt they'd go for it.

Last edited by GAGLine: 03-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
03-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is the problem. The past few years, last year particularly, we played a style where Tortorella got a lot of credit for getting the most out of the talent, or lack thereof, on the roster. Now we've got legitimate scorers in Nash and Gaborik, with other guys coming up, and we still see Tortorella expecting everyone to play like they're Ryan Callahan. Gaborik doesn't need to be benched entire periods because he didn't block a shot.

Let him loose, let Nash loose, let them do what they do as opposed to trying to force them into playing the Ryan Callahan role that Ryan Callahan already plays so well.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Orr Nightmare

This is the type of deal we should be looking to make...

Jordan Nolan/Dwight King and Jake Muzzin/Derek Forbort and a 1st for Gabby and lower level prospect like Bourque

That type of trade could fix a few of our issues.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:52 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

Jordan Nolan/Dwight King and Jake Muzzin/Derek Forbort and a 1st for Gabby and lower level prospect like Bourque

If they do that, I want Clifford.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:

You still into Hagelin for Kassian?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-18-2013, 10:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers need to bring back a young asset in the deal for Gaborik. Whether its a young roster player,top prospect or #1 pick. They need one of those elements to be in the deal. Gaborik will be playing with Nash and Richards tonight. Gaborik on the right side? The Rangers need him to be producing. Whether they keep him or trade him,they need him to score.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I couldn't think of anyone not named Coutoure or Pavelski that I'd be interested in return though.
Marleau for Gaborik?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:

That type of deal doesn't work because you are adding $7.5 million to the Kings cap without taking anything back in return.

If Gaborik is traded, the Rangers will have to take back at least one decent size contract.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
You still into Hagelin for Kassian?

Hagelin went on a tear and has been very good. Kassian has dipped...Hagelin has been quite again of late.

I would still do the deal though.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
M.Richards yes, Carter? definitely no. i work in Philly. Carter was ripped for all the reasons Gaborik is... Carter was younger that's it.
So? I live in Pittsburgh and people rip players all the time for no reason in particular. Rangers fans do it as well. Carter is a competent defensive player. Is he Patrice Bergeron? No, but he's certainly not a liability. He's had several stints where he's getting regular time on the PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Carter and Richards were known party-goers.

Nash had a NMC he would only waive for a few teams. Out of those teams, the Rangers were the only ones who could afford him and were willing to even offer a decent package.

If Nash had not had a NMC, the return would have been MUCH better for Columbus.

There will be teams lining up for a shot at Gaborik. He is fresh off of a 41 goal season and he isn't just some flash in the pan. He is a consistent 30-40 goal scorer.
The off-ice stuff is overblown. Richards and Pronger could no co-exist and the Flyers chose the latter to lead the team.

People are romanticizing this Nash stuff too much. We gave up an underachieving cap-dump, an underachieving prospect, an inconsistent center who is easily knocked off his game with physical play, and what was supposed to be a 28-30 overall pick in the draft. Did we disrupt the team chemistry? Sure, but we absolutely robbed them when it comes to talent and ability. The equivalent trade right now would be Booth, Raymond, Schroeder and a 1st.

If there were teams lining up for a shot at him, this would have been done already. The cap is retracting and teams are tightening the belt. That throws a major wrench into things.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers can solve some of their needs with players in their system. Kreider. Miller. Torts said he would be more patient with Miller in the middle if it was a full 82 game season. Miller is better in the middle. Lindberg. Fasth. Can Lindberg be the Rangers Kruger? Fourth line center/role player. Slide up in case of an injury. Fasth. Speed and skill on the 3rd line. If its Richards,Stepan,Miller and Lindberg in the middle next season. Is that too much inexperience at center? McIlrath on D. Righty shot. 3rd pair. He would make the Rangers tougher to play against.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I guess we're all rooting for Marian tonight, so he doesn't end up getting dealt for Kurtis Foster and a turkey sandwich without mayo.
If they don't at least throw in the mayo I'm gonna be pissed.

03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
That type of deal doesn't work because you are adding $7.5 million to the Kings cap without taking anything back in return.

If Gaborik is traded, the Rangers will have to take back at least one decent size contract.
Ok, I will take Penner back, he is on a one year deal, maybe the 1st becomes a 2nd.

Don't want justin williams, might even consider Jarrett Stoll is steep @ 3.25, until 2015

Old
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Pierre LeBrun has a column on the Sharks. He brings up Dan Boyle and the Rangers. The Sharks are looking for young assets. Unless its Gaborik for Boyle,the Rangers can not fit $6,666,667 into their cap. No mention of Boyle being too expensive. Gaborik is the only expensive player in the NHL!!!He also brings up Clowe and Murray. Clowe was creamed by Doughty on Saturday. He re-injured his shoulder. Murray. He has conditioning issues. We already have a player out of shape in Hamrlik. http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-coat-of-paint

Old
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pierre LeBrun has a column on the Sharks. He brings up Dan Boyle and the Rangers. The Sharks are looking for young assets. Unless its Gaborik for Boyle,the Rangers can not fit $6,666,667 into their cap. No mention of Boyle being too expensive. Gaborik is the only expensive player in the NHL!!!He also brings up Clowe and Murray. Clowe was creamed by Doughty on Saturday. He re-injured his shoulder. Murray. He has conditioning issues. We already have a player out of shape in Hamrlik. http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-coat-of-paint
I'd do Gaborik for Boyle and a pick. Speaking of Boyle, the other one, I'd like to send his ass out of town, too. The guy is done here.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Dorado*

Boyle to Bawstan for ken Hodge and Espo and a Milbury autographed shoe

Old
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Rangers can't exchange Gaborik for an older asset on an almost equally expensive deal. Boyle is still generating points, but he's slowing down quickly.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

We need offense not defense. I do not want Dan Boyle.

Closed Thread