HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price doesn't steal games

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
You think a 20 or 21 year old Lundqvist would have fared any better in the NHL had he been over here? Or Miller? Or Rinne? Not likely, otherwise they probably would have been in the NHL wouldn't they?
No. Not necessarily. Some teams believe in going slowly with their goalies. Something I also thought we should have done with Price. Yes he was lights out in the AHL Playoffs, but he should have ridden the bus with the highs and lows of 1 AHL season. So we could have taken more our time with him. As far as the others...it took them longer to develop...doesn't mean they won't end up a better goalie what all is said and done. It's not always about who gets there first...it's who stays there the longest.

Quote:
As for my comment about top 3 in any country, it is pretty clear what I meant. You stated that the only likely reason Price would be in Sochi is because of Canada's lack of depth. Well, that lack of depth we have still equates to him being among the best at his position no matter the passport. So if he is still top 3 on any country in the world, then how can we say it is only due to lack of depth on Canada's part that he would get a job?
I know it's pretty clear...but it still makes no sense. It's due to the lack of depth for Canada 'cause Canada had always more goalies to offer than any of the other countries. So Canada was always strong everywhere, but compared to the other countries...there were no comparisons whatsoever as far as depth.

Quote:
And just a heads up: Contained in that lack of depth (Price, Ward, Luongo, Fleury, Crawford) we have 2 Stanley Cup winners, 1 Conn Smythe winner, and another goalie who lost in game 7 of the Cup Finals. What other country can boast depth like that? Not to mention the current NHL wins leader and the No.1 goaltender for a team that went half a season without a regulation loss. What depth indeed.
I know yet...who cares right? Who cares what any of those goalies has done in the past. At one point you tell me how Price is #3 on your list of goalies you'd have on your team...but then succeeds in praising those canadian goalies with their past accomplishments? Why wouldn't you consider those goalies when it's time to make your list of who you would take on your team then? You know as I do that Ward is struggling...that Luongo is a mystery with him moving or not, that Fleury could be seen as inconsistent as hell and that Crawford might still be seen as a question mark based on the fact that he just came in this league....There are no Roy in there. No Brodeur in there. Not even the Luongo that people had more confidence in. The Ward that won the Cup isn't there. Same with the Fleury. All Canadians goalies comes in with tremendous question marks, something that usually, most top 3 goalies at the Olympics didn't have. You could probably say that Turco in 2006 was a mystery. Yet, he was a vet. 2002, you had Belfour, Joseph and Brodeur. Yes, they ALL have deficiencies, all had their weaknesses, yet...all were vets and proven great record.

Yes...nobody is perfect. As if that's what was asked from Price. We'd love to see his numbers be up there as the top 5 goalie he is suppose to be. So yes, some games hurt his numbers...well then he needs some games to improve them. And yes, this short season won't be something we will be able to judge Price on...but the playoffs will. And before we start making excuses as to how bad this Habs team were before, reason why Price wasn't able to do miracles....we do have a good team now right? Let's hope it will bring the best out of Price now.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
price has accomplished nothing to be considered a top 5 goalie, nothing. that's what I expect from him, nothing less.
This was your comment, wasn't it?

Quote:
okay? so do I, but buddaj is 4-1-1 and I'm more concerned about price in the playoffs and his lackluster history. 1 series win.
My point is, you don't simply expect Price to win you games, you expect him to perform at a top 5 goalie level, nothing less.

I'm merely pointing out what the difference is in the expectation levels on this goalie. I do not expect him to perform at a top 5 goalie level night in, night out. I expect him to win games for us, regardless if his performance is top 5 goalie level or not.

If he is required to play at a top 5 goalie level every night for us to win games, than the problem lies elsewhere.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Question: Who actually is calling Price a top 5 goalie? I see that argument being used a lot from the Price detractors to bash those who praised Price but I don't see anyone claiming Price is right now a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:43 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Question: Who actually is calling Price a top 5 goalie? I see that argument being used a lot from the Price detractors to bash those who praised Price but I don't see anyone claiming Price is right now a top 5 goalie in the NHL.
Well I don't want to be the first one to say it then but it looks like I'll have to be. This season not counting Anderson (due to his injury) and goalies with around 20 or more games, I would definitely rank Price as a top 5

1. Lundqvist (23gp)
2. Rinne (26gp)
3. Lehtonen (19gp)
4. Price (22gp)
5. Rask (20gp)
6. Howard (24gp)
7. Bobrovsky (20gp)

HM: Niemi, Crawford and Varlomov

PS: I wouldn't say Price is a top 5 goalie league wide, just this season only so far.

Last edited by ottawa*: 03-17-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 08:54 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I just went to do some morning readin' on the Devil's GDT... and man 'o man.. I'm not even 'french' or 'quebecois' but what a bunch of ****ing antisemitic mother ****ers.

How is that tolerated on their board? And fueled by a moderator no less?

Simply, utterly, baffled.

Oh and I'm not really looking for a discussion on this topic, so no need to reply just an observation I don't want to start anything over here.

/rant
I didn't read what was said on their boards but it's pretty ironic considering the best player of their franchise is Quebecois, their two best coach(Lemaire and Burns) are Quebecois and Lamoriello follows the philosophy that the Habs used in the 70s.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
This was your comment, wasn't it?

My point is, you don't simply expect Price to win you games, you expect him to perform at a top 5 goalie level, nothing less.

I'm merely pointing out what the difference is in the expectation levels on this goalie. I do not expect him to perform at a top 5 goalie level night in, night out. I expect him to win games for us, regardless if his performance is top 5 goalie level or not.

If he is required to play at a top 5 goalie level every night for us to win games, than the problem lies elsewhere.
wins is a team thing, look at fleury.

I don't expect it night in and night out, but over a season he should separate himself into the elite category if he's paid like one. he just has not done that.

we're you happy paying gomez 7 million when the team was winning? and made it to the ecf?

Old
03-17-2013, 09:57 PM
ChikN

Quote:

I don't expect it night in and night out, but over a season he should separate himself into the elite category if he's paid like one. he just has not done that.

we're you happy paying gomez 7 million when the team was winning? and made it to the ecf?
Yeah cuz you know, Price and Gomez belong in the same discussion. FFS this is pathetic.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikN View Post
Yeah cuz you know, Price and Gomez belong in the same discussion. FFS this is pathetic.
i don't think they do...I'm trying to make a point that w's are great but each player is held to a different expectation. mine for price is to be discussed as a top 5 goalie, around the league, just not 26 hab fans shouting it.

of course I don't value them the same.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:03 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Persecution syndrome
Maybe you should re-read the title of the thread. It's not "persecution syndrome", it's Price haters getting their jabs in in a thread dedicated to praising Price.

blah blah blah..."we're just counteracting the Price blindness"

Go make another useless thread and honestly consider what is stopping you from joining the bruins board.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Well I don't want to be the first one to say it then but it looks like I'll have to be. This season not counting Anderson (due to his injury) and goalies with around 20 or more games, I would definitely rank Price as a top 5

1. Lundqvist (23gp)
2. Rinne (26gp)
3. Lehtonen (19gp)
4. Price (22gp)
5. Rask (20gp)
6. Howard (24gp)
7. Bobrovsky (20gp)

HM: Niemi, Crawford and Varlomov

PS: I wouldn't say Price is a top 5 goalie league wide, just this season only so far.
hottest goalie in the nhl, playing like a god. if price did this here, the boards would be almost unbearable and even I would join in the chest pounding.

alright, I'm done arguing about price. forever. from now on, I will support him no matter what...

Last edited by Nedved: 03-17-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 10:35 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No. Not necessarily. Some teams believe in going slowly with their goalies. Something I also thought we should have done with Price. Yes he was lights out in the AHL Playoffs, but he should have ridden the bus with the highs and lows of 1 AHL season. So we could have taken more our time with him. As far as the others...it took them longer to develop...doesn't mean they won't end up a better goalie what all is said and done. It's not always about who gets there first...it's who stays there the longest.
Right, and I would say I agree with you. We should have been more patient regarding his development. This is why I feel we have been jaded with Price. We have had to watch him mature playing arguably the most difficult position mentally in pro sports. It's not an easy thing for a guy to be anointed by management like he was and then have to deliver. We were spoiled with Dryden and Roy. Not every top flight goalie develops right away. Like we saw with Miller and Lundqvist, they can take time. Price is only just starting to come into his own, so I think it is far too early to pass judgment on him yet.

Quote:
I know it's pretty clear...but it still makes no sense. It's due to the lack of depth for Canada 'cause Canada had always more goalies to offer than any of the other countries. So Canada was always strong everywhere, but compared to the other countries...there were no comparisons whatsoever as far as depth.
I believe this is a fantasy. Sure we have always had one of the TOP guys, ala Belfour or Brodeur or Roy, but our depth is as strong as it has ever been. Have you seen the list of Canadian goalies who won a decent amount of games in 06? It's pretty pathetic really. Names like Garon, Legace, Auld and Emery are in the top 10. I would never consider guys like that for Team Canada. Looks even worse when you go by GAA or sv%.

02? Only slightly better. The point of this is that we have always had the top flight talent, and the depth comes and goes. 2014 will be no different. Price is one of the top flight talent this time around. He will make the team based on reputation alone. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but I feel it will be the right decision in the end.

Quote:
I know yet...who cares right? Who cares what any of those goalies has done in the past. At one point you tell me how Price is #3 on your list of goalies you'd have on your team...but then succeeds in praising those canadian goalies with their past accomplishments? Why wouldn't you consider those goalies when it's time to make your list of who you would take on your team then?
I considered all goaltenders. The fact that Price landed ahead of all of them should tell you how highly I think of him. People have a tendency to think the grass is always greener on the other side, but I am a strong believer that there are only 2 goalies in the NHL that would improve this team if we traded them for Price. Anyone else is either a wash or a downgrade IMO. I've seen enough games from around the league to know that there isn't a lot of separation between Price and the other top goalies in the league, regardless of what his stats or bad goals might say.

And the most important thing for me is that I would rather believe in the guy that we have than try to downplay what he has accomplished because like him or not, proven or unproven, he is the guy we have hitched our cart to. We will only go as far as he can take us, and I believe he has the goods to deliver when we need him most.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Price is a top five goalie in the NHL. Personally I think he's top 3.

He doesn't have a top 5 save percentage right now but over the past few years when looking at combined seasons Price is in the top five in that stat and he's played more games than anyone other than Rinne.

Price bashers can say whatever the **** they want... The guy is a workhorse and despite having a few games where he's been blown out, he's been great all year long.
Quote:

Save percentage is the best single stat that we have when looking at goalies but it shouldn't be the only stat. And you have to look at more than just the aggregate number. If a guy gets blown away with 8 goals his aggregate number is going to baloon but he could've been wicked for most of the year apart from that blowup.

You have to look at games played, GAA and wins. I would certainly agree that those numbers aren't as important as save percentage but they shouldn't be disregarded entirely.

Price's save percentage in the playoffs against the Bruins in 2011 was awesome. And yet all I keep hearing is how he didn't win. Well, which is it? Is it only okay to talk about wins when the guy doesn't beat out Tim Thomas and the Bruins? There's a double standard here that I see on these boards that don't make sense to me.

We have a workhorse goalie who consistently plays well. On a year by year basis he may not have a top five save percentage number but he's going to be top five over the long haul and he's going to win a lot of games. On many nights he's been the only guy worth watching. Lundqvist and Rinne I can understand people arguing being better but there's not another goalie out there that I'd rather have right now. With all due respect to Sergei Bobrovski (who's having a great year) he's not going to be a top goalie year in and year out. Price is. Shocks me that people don't recognize this.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-17-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price is a top five goalie in the NHL. Personally I think he's top 3.

He doesn't have a top 5 save percentage right now but over the past few years when looking at combined seasons Price is in the top five in that stat and he's played more games than anyone other than Rinne.

Price bashers can say whatever the **** they want... The guy is a workhorse and despite having a few games where he's been blown out, he's been great all year long.

Save percentage is the best single stat that we have when looking at goalies but it shouldn't be the only stat. And you have to look at more than just the aggregate number. If a guy gets blown away with 8 goals his aggregate number is going to baloon but he could've been wicked for most of the year apart from that blowup.

You have to look at games played, GAA and wins. I would certainly agree that those numbers aren't as important as save percentage but they shouldn't be disregarded entirely.

Price's save percentage in the playoffs against the Bruins in 2011 was awesome. And yet all I keep hearing is how he didn't win. Well, which is it? Is it only okay to talk about wins when the guy doesn't beat out Tim Thomas and the Bruins? There's a double standard here that I see on these boards that don't make sense to me.

We have a workhorse goalie who consistently plays well. On a year by year basis he may not have a top five save percentage number but he's going to be top five over the long haul and he's going to win a lot of games. On many nights he's been the only guy worth watching. Lundqvist and Rinne I can understand people arguing being better but there's not another goalie out there that I'd rather have right now. With all due respect to Sergei Bobrovski (who's having a great year) he's not going to be a top goalie year in and year out. Price is. Shocks me that people don't recognize this.
While I agree that Price is a top 5 goalie in the NHL and there's not a single goalie I would take over him but I, or I mean they, are talking about right now... the way he is playing. He could be a lot lot better since the beginning of the season.

But yeah, overall, I agree that Price is indeed a top 5 goalie and he will prove it then again, these detractors will always be there to bash Price if he lets in 2 bad goal and say top 5 goalie rarely give bad goal in a game. Or they will use the salary arguement and say a 6M$ goalie shouldn't basically never give bad goals or have bad streak and when you show them that 5-6M$ goalie like Rinne, Lundqvist, Luongo, Miller, Fleury, Ward (LOL) does actually give bad goals and doesn't stop all stoppable shots, they say it's an irrelevant argument.

All of the goalie I named up there are Vezina and Cup winners or runner up, makes over 5M/6M$$ a year yet, none of them really outplayed Price this season, yet some detractors dare to use the salary to bash Price.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
While I agree that Price is a top 5 goalie in the NHL and there's not a single goalie I would take over him but I, or I mean they, are talking about right now... the way he is playing. He could be a lot lot better since the beginning of the season.

But yeah, overall, I agree that Price is indeed a top 5 goalie and he will prove it then again, these detractors will always be there to bash Price if he lets in 2 bad goal and say top 5 goalie rarely give bad goal in a game. Or they will use the salary arguement and say a 6M$ goalie shouldn't basically never give bad goals or have bad streak and when you show them that 5-6M$ goalie like Rinne, Lundqvist, Luongo, Miller, Fleury, Ward (LOL) does actually give bad goals and doesn't stop all stoppable shots, they say it's an irrelevant argument.

All of the goalie I named up there are Vezina and Cup winners or runner up, makes over 5M/6M$$ a year yet, none of them really outplayed Price this season, yet some detractors dare to use the salary to bash Price.
I'd rather have Price at his salary than Bobrovski at whatever he's making...

Folks who think Price is making too much need to give their head a shake. Any team in the league would be happy taking him for that money. Think about how badly teams like Phlly or the Leafs could use him.

Has Price played like a top five for us this year... yes. He's had a couple of terrible games but overall he's been awesome. Until that blowup with Pittsburgh he was the leading candidate for the Vezina. I know his save percentage took a big hit but he's still been extremely consistent and very strong this year.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
BlackStar

People don't think that Price is a top 5 goalie in this league?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
People don't think that Price is a top 5 goalie in this league?
A lot of posters on here will say anything to attempt to defend their point. If everyone who says Price isn't a top 5 made a list of ALL the goalies who played 1 game in the NHL this year, guaranteed he is at least top 10.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
A lot of posters on here will say anything to attempt to defend their point. If everyone who says Price isn't a top 5 made a list of ALL the goalies who played 1 game in the NHL this year, guaranteed he is at least top 10.
It is all subjective, I prefer to look at the lists people put for goalies they would take over him to see how serious they are about what they are saying. As long as the habs keep winning and I dont care about his performance until the playoffs. Id actually prefer he have some bumps through out the season that way when the playoffs roll around he knows what he has to do to regroup.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Bryson

I hate price. I can't help it. I hate how he was GIVEN the starting job when he was clearly being outplayed by Halak. He is the third highest paid goaltender in the league yet hasn't done anything to deserve it. The third highest forward in the league is Sidney Crosby. Don't you expect that kind of player to win you games night in and night out? I think the habs would have won just as many games with Budaj in nets with the way they are playing this year.

Price is prone to softies, brain farts, mental lapses and lack of concentration. I honestly don't watch enough hockey around the league to know if the grass truly is greener on the other side. All I know is how these quebecois goalies always play lights out against us whenever they come into town or that crazy shootout between Toronto and Winnipeg the other night that looked like it was never going to end. I cringe every time it goes to shootout with Price in nets.

Bergevin totally lowballed Suban so what do you all think that he deserves $6.5mil+ too when they negotiate next season? He probably does but then good luck with the salary cap. Everybody expected Gomez to perform like a $7mil dollar player just like I expect price to preform like a $7mil dollar goalie but he's not there yet.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:25 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Is it too much to ask for from Habs fans to learn to have some TOLERANCE and accept Price can be criticized like any damn player in this team when his play is sub-par, which it was in the last few weeks, and for the other camp to learn and appreciate Price as a good goaltender who just had a huge game?

I mean. It's either all white or all black here, isn't it? You can't even put a critical comment on Price on this board without getting bashed (the title of this thread is ridiculous, the fact that Price played a very good game this weekend changes in no way the fact that he didn't have to steal a single game this season beforehand. As if it was "a shame to doubt/criticize the all-mighty Price Lord". Geez. When has he ever got over that? Has he evolved into a God without me noticing or is there SOME overreaction in here?) and getting accused of being a blood thirsty Halak fan/Price hater. Most of his fans are extremely annoying. But I'm not generalizing, because the guy is a very good goalie with great skills, and I'm a fan of his game. That being said, you won't see me finding excuses all over the place when he's not playing up to the expectations and up to his salary.

Last edited by HiggsBozon: 03-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 12:30 PM
PricePkPatch

Due to too many accrued infractions, I cannot start a new thread. Can someone start a Pre-game Day thread for our upcoming game against Buffalo?

If possible, name it "2 days of no-hockey is way too long"

Old
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I hate price. I can't help it. I hate how he was GIVEN the starting job when he was clearly being outplayed by Halak. He is the third highest paid goaltender in the league yet hasn't done anything to deserve it. The third highest forward in the league is Sidney Crosby. Don't you expect that kind of player to win you games night in and night out? I think the habs would have won just as many games with Budaj in nets with the way they are playing this year.

Price is prone to softies, brain farts, mental lapses and lack of concentration. I honestly don't watch enough hockey around the league to know if the grass truly is greener on the other side. All I know is how these quebecois goalies always play lights out against us whenever they come into town or that crazy shootout between Toronto and Winnipeg the other night that looked like it was never going to end. I cringe every time it goes to shootout with Price in nets.

Bergevin totally lowballed Suban so what do you all think that he deserves $6.5mil+ too when they negotiate next season? He probably does but then good luck with the salary cap. Everybody expected Gomez to perform like a $7mil dollar player just like I expect price to preform like a $7mil dollar goalie but he's not there yet.
At least we have one poster that finally admits his hatred for Price is irrational.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Gros Bonhomme
Benoit Brunet #1 Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Gros Bonhomme
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Due to too many accrued infractions, I cannot start a new thread. Can someone start a Pre-game Day thread for our upcoming game against Buffalo?

If possible, name it "2 days of no-hockey is way too long"
Scroll down bud. There's already one

Old
03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Most of his fans are extremely annoying. But I'm not generalizing, because the guy is a very good goalie with great skills, and I'm a fan of his game. That being said, you won't see me finding excuses all over the place when he's not playing up to the expectations and up to his salary.
LOL - thank god your not generalizing....

Old
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
LOL - thank god your not generalizing....
Not all of his fans are like that. But it seems like a lot of his fans in here keep finding him excuses, to the point where you can't even point out a counter performance. How do you think people such as the guy who wrote just over my comment turn into Price bashers/haters? It's because of behaviors like this.

The guy is a human. He's having VERY "human" performances this year to say the least, and he deserves to be criticized when he's not playing up to the standards. That being said, there's a fair margin between hating him no matter what and calling him a bum, AND just pointing out that in some games, he doesn't deserve any credits or excuses. Just like Pacioretty, Desharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Subban, hell every player of this team, sometimes don't deserve any excuses for a bad performance.

By the way, no, I'm not generalizing. Generalizing would have been: "All Price fans are annoying as hell". I know there are a couple of rational individuals out there. They just for the most part are not as vocal as the extremists.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Not all of his fans are like that. But it seems like a lot of his fans in here keep finding him excuses, to the point where you can't even point out a counter performance. How do you think people such as the guy who wrote just over my comment turn into Price bashers/haters? It's because of behaviors like this.

The guy is a human. He's having VERY "human" performances this year to say the least, and he deserves to be criticized when he's not playing up to the standards. That being said, there's a fair margin between hating him no matter what and calling him a bum, AND just pointing out that in some games, he doesn't deserve any credits or excuses. Just like Pacioretty, Desharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Subban, hell every player of this team, sometimes don't deserve any excuses for a bad performance.

By the way, no, I'm not generalizing. Generalizing would have been: "All Price fans are annoying as hell". I know there are a couple of rational individuals out there. They just for the most part are not as vocal as the extremists.
Good thing that you did not mention Eller.

Closed Thread