HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Purpose EJ Thread *Read Mod Warning # 1 & 34*

Old
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I think a lot of us can agree that EJ has the best offensive skillset amongst Avs defensemen, and has since he got to Colorado. Why isn't he the highest scorer amongst said players then? Same coach.
A few reasons. EJ is being relied upon to fix the other Ds mistakes (ie being paired with Hunwick constantly). EJ's pairing frequently doesn't pair with the best offensive line. EJ has been being coached to take over the game defensively, so he concentrates on that more. Coaching tends to have a lot to do with the production of certain players. EJ scored a lot more points with coaches other than Sacco, maybe their styles just don't work well together. Before ripping EJ to shreds and saying how much of a bust he is, it is probably best to see him with a different coach. If he still fails, by all means rip his play.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
cgf

Still so happy we got EJ, and surprised Sherm was actually able to pull of a trade for a true top pairing dman. Didn't think that would ever happen. Greg from accounting and Pracey are such an awesome pair running this team. Now if only we had a coach on their level life would be great.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
I'm sorry, but it's not. And yes, I've played competitively. Though it's been awhile.

OK, as you know, I am no Sacco fan, and I really don't like defending him. But every time people keep wanting to blame Sacco for EJ's lack of offense, I keep coming back to this: why are other defensemen on the team outscoring EJ or matching him? Why is his scoring pace (this year and last) behind guys like Barrie, Wilson, and Quincey - all of whom played in the same system with the same coach? Why is EJ scoring at a pace (this year and last) just above guys like Hejda and O'Brien - all of whom played in the same system with the same coach?

Over the last two years:

Johnson- 89gp/30pts
Hejda - 107gp/23pts
Lol...yes it is. It's not just on the Avs, it's universal.

- Why is Matt Hunwick given big minutes most nights when he provides very little to this lineup?

- Why are players going from healthy scratch to playing over 20mins+ per game?

- Why doesn't Joe Sacco put on his BEST FACEOFF man (statistically speaking) late in game when down by one goal?

All great questions that can only be answered in the depths of the dementia within Sacco's brain.

Curious coaching decisions will affect players in different ways. To suggest otherwise is just plain silly.

Why do you think the team laid a giant egg on the very same day that the team seemed to be on the upswing after beating Chicago and San Jose and set to face Edmonton, when Tyson Barrie was sent back down to Edmonton?? It's because the rest of the team KNOWS that Barrie is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than Hunwick, RoB and Zanon and actually COULD help them get more victories and the guy gets sent down!?!? Is this real life??

Players have different personalities, some are greatly affected by stuff like this and some are not at all. Joe Sakic & Peter Forsberg are guys who just wanted to get out there and play and if that meant starting the season with a no-name scrub like Steve Brule, so be it. Ryan O'Reilly is a guy like this, regardless if he's playing with Mitchell and Palushaj or Landeskog, he'll always give you what he's got. Other players analyse the situation and adapt their play based on how the coach uses them. Paul Stastny, nearly everyone loves to dump on him but fail to realize that he produced as a #1 center until the organization stopped considering him the top center on the team.

When I played hockey as a kid, I remember playing on this one team with an idiot for a coach. I was in the top 3 in scoring amongst the forwards but the coach had his OWN SON 'Kevin' on the team and he was HORRIBLE but for some reason, he was blind to this fact. So as the season wore on, he would push myself and others down the depth chart in favor of Kevin. Whenever there was a close game, he'd always throw his son out there whereas I would either be on the ice and wondering WTF Kevin was doing out there or I'd be watching from the bench. It actually affected my game where I was actually starting to doubt myself and my abilities and my confidence was shaken. The next year, I was on a different team with a coach that put his faith in me and I ripped up the league and won the scoring title.

This is absolutely a true story where an idiot coach affected my play and that of several others on the team due to just not having a clue about what he was doing. This is just one example but most people who have played some sort of competitive hockey have a story similar to this one. Some players need to have the confidence of their coach to perform. Some produce despite not having it but not everyone is the same and that's the point.

You don't think Sacco giving more minutes to Hunwick has ANY affect on EJ's confidence and his overall play? I absolutely, categorically DISAGREE.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm sorry but anyone who actually believes that EJ should just be able to 'get past' the fact that his coach doesn't seem to have faith in him producing points and break through and just start producing despite not getting the minutes or the coach's confidence, CLEARLY has never played hockey at a competitive level.

That's just a fact
That's not a fact... the only FACT about EJ is that his offensive production has dropped. Trying to come up with reasons as to why it dropped is not FACT.

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
A few reasons. EJ is being relied upon to fix the other Ds mistakes (ie being paired with Hunwick constantly). EJ's pairing frequently doesn't pair with the best offensive line. EJ has been being coached to take over the game defensively, so he concentrates on that more.
I will assume that power play time doesn't adhere to your theory above, right? EJ isn't 'covering' for his other defensemen on the power play, with the team being up a man and all. Agreed?

EJ has a few more PP minutes than Matt frickin Hunwick, and has no more PP points than Sacco's all-star. EJ has *far* more PP minutes than any other defensive player on the team, and he has no more PP points than any of them. And he has a bit less PP time than Barrie, and Barrie has 3 points, EJ zero.

As a relatively unbelievable aside, the entire Avs defense has THREE points on the power play this season, all of them by one player. I checked that several times, just to make sure I didn't misread it. Unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Coaching tends to have a lot to do with the production of certain players. EJ scored a lot more points with coaches other than Sacco, maybe their styles just don't work well together. Before ripping EJ to shreds and saying how much of a bust he is, it is probably best to see him with a different coach. If he still fails, by all means rip his play.
*shrug* Yeah, I guess that's fine. Sacco certainly does suck, and perhaps EJ simply can't play right under Sacco. You may very well be correct. But don't you think that "cornerstone 1st pairing defensemen" need to play like 1st pairing defensemen regardless?

And I'm not ripping him to shreds, nor calling him a bust. I am simply giving what I believe to be honest representation of his play. Which so far this season, is nice defense and not so nice offense. No one would be happier than me if he turned the offensive side of his game around. He certainly possesses the talent.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
iceberg

Quote:

- Why is Matt Hunwick given big minutes most nights when he provides very little to this lineup?

- Why doesn't Joe Sacco put on his BEST FACEOFF man (statistically speaking) late in game when down by one goal?

All great questions that can only be answered in the depths of the dementia within Sacco's brain.

Curious coaching decisions will affect players in different ways. To suggest otherwise is just plain silly.

Why do you think the team laid a giant egg on the very same day that the team seemed to be on the upswing after beating Chicago and San Jose and set to face Edmonton, when Tyson Barrie was sent back down to Edmonton?? It's because the rest of the team KNOWS that Barrie is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than Hunwick, RoB and Zanon and actually COULD help them get more victories and the guy gets sent down!?!? Is this real life??

Players have different personalities, some are greatly affected by stuff like this and some are not at all. Joe Sakic & Peter Forsberg are guys who just wanted to get out there and play and if that meant starting the season with a no-name scrub like Steve Brule, so be it. Ryan O'Reilly is a guy like this, regardless if he's playing with Mitchell and Palushaj or Landeskog, he'll always give you what he's got. Other players analyse the situation and adapt their play based on how the coach uses them. Paul Stastny, nearly everyone loves to dump on him but fail to realize that he produced as a #1 center until the organization stopped considering him the top center on the team.

When I played hockey as a kid, I remember playing on this one team with an idiot for a coach. I was in the top 3 in scoring amongst the forwards but the coach had his OWN SON 'Kevin' on the team and he was HORRIBLE but for some reason, he was blind to this fact. So as the season wore on, he would push myself and others down the depth chart in favor of Kevin. Whenever there was a close game, he'd always throw his son out there whereas I would either be on the ice and wondering WTF Kevin was doing out there or I'd be watching from the bench. It actually affected my game where I was actually starting to doubt myself and my abilities and my confidence was shaken. The next year, I was on a different team with a coach that put his faith in me and I ripped up the league and won the scoring title.

This is absolutely a true story where an idiot coach affected my play and that of several others on the team due to just not having a clue about what he was doing. This is just one example but most people who have played some sort of competitive hockey have a story similar to this one. Some players need to have the confidence of their coach to perform. Some produce despite not having it but not everyone is the same and that's the point.

You don't think Sacco giving more minutes to Hunwick has ANY affect on EJ's confidence and his overall play? I absolutely, categorically DISAGREE.
Thanks for sharing this story with us, it explains a lot.

I bet a lot of players hate the way Sacco handles his roster and EJ might be suffering from this.

But putting all the blame on Sacco is an easy way out... EJ started the year on the first PP unit and he sucked.

Eventually he'll have another oportunity on the PP, and i hope he makes a better use of it

Old
03-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
And I'm not ripping him to shreds, nor calling him a bust. I am simply giving what I believe to be honest representation of his play. Which so far this season, is nice defense and not so nice offense. No one would be happier than me if he turned the offensive side of his game around. He certainly possesses the talent.
And I think we will see it, once we get a new coach.

It's certainly ONE thing to say "We need EJ to be our guy in all circumstances" but then NOT give the guy the necessary ice time to actually do it.

Erik Johnson is 91st in the NHL in average ice-time.

He's pretty much our best and ONLY chance to put up points from the back end and when he actually does get out there for the power play, he gets the BLACK HOLE WINGER line of Jones, McGinn & Hejduk/Palushaj to work with? He's not producing on the power play?? Shocker!

Old
03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir Jagr View Post
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. There was a time when EJ was on that team and Stewart was not and they simply weren't a dominating force at both ends. On top of that the main reason they're "only" in 4th and not higher is because of Chicago's miracle run, points-wise they're technically 3rd in the west and I doubt that improves by switching their leading goal scorer out for a defensemen who is, frankly, probably below Shatty on their depth chart at this point.
When EJ was with the Blues they were a club that was still rebuilding, but just finishing. EJ only had two seasons with the Blues and one ACL tear, how you can judge a defenseman after two solid rookie seasons and a ACL tear is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Also what I meant was that they would be closer to Chicago/Anaheim point total.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Avs71

Okay, so here is the numbers on the "EJ plays better with more icetime" argument. This is just with Colorado.

Playing over 23 minutes: (82 game projection)
Avg Toi- 25:16 (25:16)
Games played- 37 (82)
Goals-3 (6)
Assists-13 (29)
Points-16 (35)
'+/-' 0 (0)

Playing under 23 minutes: (82 game projection)
Avg Toi- 19:46 (19:46)
Games played- 76 (82)
Goals-3 (4)
Assists-13 (22)
Points-20 (26)
'+/-' -12 (-12)

Honestly, there is no reason why he shouldn't be played more.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:

I hear your point, and while part of me understands the logic there, another part of me looks at your story of a junior high school kid (my guess) and is having trouble comparing that to a 23 year old, 6 year pro making $3.5M per year. Are EJ's confidence and performance that delicate and so easily affected by a coach? If so, I'm kind of inclined to suggest he start using big girl panties and get his ass to work. I don't think there's any coach on earth who doesn't rub part of his roster the wrong way. I don't think there's any coach on earth who instills confidence in 100% of his players. Yet, they're all expected to perform a certain way.

All of that said, Sacco is a dunce. Playing Hunwick over EJ/Barrie is indeed nuts.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
And I think we will see it, once we get a new coach.

It's certainly ONE thing to say "We need EJ to be our guy in all circumstances" but then NOT give the guy the necessary ice time to actually do it.

Erik Johnson is 91st in the NHL in average ice-time.

He's pretty much our best and ONLY chance to put up points from the back end and when he actually does get out there for the power play, he gets the BLACK HOLE WINGER line of Jones, McGinn & Hejduk/Palushaj to work with? He's not producing on the power play?? Shocker!
This is really a big part of it IMO. I've never understood why Sacco doesn't lean more on his best all around defenseman, especially when there is such a drop off after him.

The games where EJ has been in full beast mode seem to coincide with the games he's playing a lot of minutes. Of course that's probably because Sacco sees he's on his game, and puts him out there a lot, but I truly believe that if he would just lean on him from the get go, we'd see a much more confidant, and in the groove EJ.

These guys like EJ and Dutchy thrive on playing a lot of minutes. Just another retarded coaching decision that's contributing to an underperforming or inconsistant player on this team IMO. This team desperately needs an experienced coach that knows how to get the most out of his players, rather than Sacco who's had a multitude of underperforming and inconstant team efforts under his four year watch.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
This is really a big part of it IMO. I've never understood why Sacco doesn't lean more on his best all around defenseman, especially when there is such a drop off after him.

The games where EJ has been in full beast mode seem to coincide with the games he's playing a lot of minutes. Of course that's probably because Sacco sees he's on his game, and puts him out there a lot, but I truly believe that if he would just lean on him from the get go, we'd see a much more confidant, and in the groove EJ.

These guys like EJ and Dutchy thrive on playing a lot of minutes. Just another retarded coaching decision that's contributing to an underperforming or inconsistant player on this team IMO. This team desperately needs an experienced coach that knows how to get the most out of his players, rather than Sacco who's had a multitude of underperforming and inconstant team efforts under his four year watch.
It really drives me crazy how this team is being handled. Barrie should be in the line-up and O'Byrne/Hunwick/Zanon in AHL or whereever.

I think we will get our wish though, in 2 weeks O'Byrne will be gone. Mark my word. Just a guess, but I think they will wait till trade deadline and trade him. Then call Barrie back to NHL.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:11 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Okay, so here is the numbers on the "EJ plays better with more icetime" argument. This is just with Colorado.

Playing over 23 minutes: (82 game projection)
Avg Toi- 25:16 (25:16)
Games played- 37 (82)
Goals-3 (6)
Assists-13 (29)
Points-16 (35)
'+/-' 0 (0)

Playing under 23 minutes: (82 game projection)
Avg Toi- 19:46 (19:46)
Games played- 76 (82)
Goals-3 (4)
Assists-13 (22)
Points-20 (26)
'+/-' -12 (-12)

Honestly, there is no reason why he shouldn't be played more.
The million dollar question is: did he produced more because he played more minutes or did he played more minutes because he produced more?

I agree, he should be getting 25 minutes/game... he should be on the 1st pk and on the 1st pp.

But we can't only blame Sacco or the lack of quality defensive partners to explain his drop in production. EJ has to find a way to have a bigger impact on this team.

More often than not, he is having a solid season defensively, but he has being very timid on the ofensive zone, he has to take charge.

Last edited by iceberg: 03-18-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:

Don't worry buddy, you aren't a bust in my eyes. I still BE-LIEVE!!

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
I hear your point, and while part of me understands the logic there, another part of me looks at your story of a junior high school kid (my guess) and is having trouble comparing that to a 23 year old, 6 year pro making $3.5M per year. Are EJ's confidence and performance that delicate and so easily affected by a coach? If so, I'm kind of inclined to suggest he start using big girl panties and get his ass to work. I don't think there's any coach on earth who doesn't rub part of his roster the wrong way. I don't think there's any coach on earth who instills confidence in 100% of his players. Yet, they're all expected to perform a certain way.

All of that said, Sacco is a dunce. Playing Hunwick over EJ/Barrie is indeed nuts.
Are you suggesting that if I had earned a salary when I was younger and playing on that team, I wouldn't have lost my confidence?

I guess the part you're missing is that the coach is the LEADER of the team and essentially the same as your BOSS in a work environment. If your boss stops having faith in your abilities, can't that essentially lead to loss of confidence in one's abilities?

Last edited by Frenchy: 03-18-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Are you suggesting that if I had earned a salary when I was younger and playing on that team, I wouldn't have lost my confidence?
I'm suggesting that if you were 6 year professional adult, I would expect a different response than the one you had as a 12 year old.

Quote:
If your boss stops having faith in your abilities, can't that essentially lead to loss of confidence in one's abilities?
I'm sure it can. I'm not sure it should. 6 year multimillion dollar professional and all of that.

You may be onto something though, given EJ's defensive play over the past three games looking like his season-long offensive play. Pretty mediocre.

Is any defenseman on this team currently playing anywhere near up to snuff?

Last edited by ABasin: 03-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old
03-25-2013, 12:14 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Is any defenseman on this team currently playing anywhere near up to snuff?
No, not even close. There have been so many teams that are defensively stout in the regular season but the flood gates open in the playoffs (like the Washington Capitals).

The Avalanche can't generate any kind of consistency whatsoever in meaningless regular season games against subpar teams like the Dallas Stars; not as a team, and not as individuals.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
The problem that i have with this line of thought, is that it is the same coach from last year, it's basically the same team from last year, and he has regressed offensively.

The problem that i have with blaming Sacco, is that game in and game out, i see guys like Hejda and O'Brien having a bigger impact on the offensive zone (at least getting pucks on the net)
EJ does not look good right now. It's about the worst he's looked since coming here. He had a slow start offensively in the first 10 games or so, but then got that concussion, and really hasn't been the same guy. I think it's affecting him a lot more than it did Landy, and his conditioning is still a long ways off. You can see it when he tries to skate, he's just moving in mud, and his overall game is suffering as well.

Last year there's no way O'Brien or Hejda had a bigger impact in the offensive zone game in and game out. It's just a really tough year for him in a shortened season.

Quote:
You might be right about everything you wrote about EJ. I certanly hope so. But it is all speculation. What we know for sure is that his production has dropped and IMO it's not fair to put the blame ONLY on Sacco. My question is: At what point is it ok to blame the players?? At what point is it OK to question whether some of our players are as good as we think they are??
I dont' think anyone is blaming only Sacco. Myself and others have said many times that EJ's offensive hockey IQ may hold him back regardless. IMO though there are most likely only two things that can help EJ get back to being a 35-40 point guy with solid D. One is a legit top pairing partner to help shoulder the load, do most of the on ice thinking, and give him confidence to take advantage of the tools he has. The other is a legit coach that can work with him on getting better, and implement a system that uses it's defenseman well in transition and in an offensive system, and on the PP. Sacco's system does none of that.

It's not a matter of hard work, he's got a great work ethic, and he's been motivated since he got here. I really think those two things would make a world of difference, and at the very least you would have to admit he'd have a bit of a boost in his point totals while playing the same solid D.

I don't think pointing these things out are making excuses for him, and I'm pretty sure other EJ supporters are capable of being critical and see whats holding him back at the same time.

Quote:
The funny/sad thing about it, is that we just traded a lot for a Dman, that we put a lot of hope in (supposedly a #1). And now we have to trade for ANOTHER expensive Dman to make the first one look good??
It's definitely not ideal, but I still think from a team building perspective, trying to find an offensive guy to play with a guy like EJ, is easier than finding a guy like EJ to play with an offensive guy.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Erik Johnson makes me think he'll be another Eric Brewer. Tall, rangy, not physical, willing to block shots, and good in all aspects while not being great at any single one. Brewer was also considered a disappointment.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Erik Johnson makes me think he'll be another Eric Brewer. Tall, rangy, not physical, willing to block shots, and good in all aspects while not being great at any single one. Brewer was also considered a disappointment.
He could be, and that's basically what he is now. That's his low end IMO. I don't think he'll be able to reach the high end that we thought he could get to, but I think there's a middle ground that he could get to and make a formidable top pairing with the right partner.

The question is can an experienced coach help teach EJ to make quicker decisions offensively, and help him build confidence in his game. When he's played with that confidence for the Avs, we've seen a much different defenseman capable of taking over parts of games. A two way defenseman that can help with puck moving, and setting up plays would help in that area as well IMO.

It'll never happen but if the Avs could somehow get Larry Robinson as an assistant under the next HC, or maybe even Ray Bourque as an assistant under Roy, it would really do wonders for EJ, and the entire D for that matter.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:18 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
The Eric Brewer comparison was one a lot of people were making at the time of the trade. Two years and 7 goals later, I suspect their/your suspicions have been confirmed.

That said, I've seen lesser skilled defensemen take the next step at an older age. But I'm done holding my breath on Johnson being the next great thing.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Avs71

Hopefully he carries his play from last night into tonight's game. Someone said it best when they said he looked "unshackled" last night.

At least we know he still has this ability and it hasn't faded into the abyss. The problem is just making sure he plays like that every game. This is the player I would expect to see every game under a new coach.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Hopefully he carries his play from last night into tonight's game. Someone said it best when they said he looked "unshackled" last night.

At least we know he still has this ability and it hasn't faded into the abyss. The problem is just making sure he plays like that every game. This is the player I would expect to see every game under a new coach.
Until Sacco is no longer the coach, I don't see it.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
Agreed.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
This is one of the main reasons I want to keep Stastny as well. I think both him and EJ would benefit from a new (good) coach and I'm not ready to give up on them until we see how they do, hopefully next year.

AdamCalderHero is online now   Reply With Quote