HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Junior Hockey Thread (Ottawa 67s Talk)

Old
03-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Greeningfan14

vCash: 500
The one 67s game I attended this season was a 3-2 loss to Owen Sound. All the goals came in the 1st period, there were a couple fights, and I was in the 100s, so it was a good time.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I've been told Sean Day is an 99.9% lock to get exceptional status.

But they've also been rumoured to be in love with Konecny.

I've also heard rumors that if Day doesn't get taken #1 overall he won't play in the OHL (hey Logan couture I remember you)
and you can't trade 1st round picks in the OHL, correct?

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
OT is pretty interesting lol

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

I highly doubt there's a chance that Ottawa doesn't take Day if he gets exceptional status.

Will be cool to watch the 67s for the next 3 years with Day manning the blueline.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:50 PM
HugeMidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I highly doubt there's a chance that Ottawa doesn't take Day if he gets exceptional status.

Will be cool to watch the 67s for the next 3 years with Day manning the blueline.
There's a chance.

HugeMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeMidget View Post
There's a chance.
It would be a huge mistake IMO. You can't pass on a defenceman like what he's shown...way better than Ekblad at the same age IMO. His skating sets him apart from everyone on the ice.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:51 AM
HugeMidget

Quote:
It would be a huge mistake IMO. You can't pass on a defenceman like what he's shown...way better than Ekblad at the same age IMO. His skating sets him apart from everyone on the ice.
I have personally never seen him or Konecny play, so I can't judge on talent. But I would agree it would be a mistake just based on having Day for the guaranteed extra year. I'd trust the 67's staff in making the right decision though.

HugeMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
and you can't trade 1st round picks in the OHL, correct?
Right, the 67s are going to pick #1 no matter what this year.

It's going to be Konecny, Strome, or Day. Strome is the least likely, and I really think they're struggling to decide between Konecny and Day. Both are very good players.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:

No, the organization has expressed how much they are in love with Konecny. Some people truly believe they will take him #1.

There is certainly a legitimate chance that Day isn't a 67. I hope he is, though.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
No, the organization has expressed how much they are in love with Konecny. Some people truly believe they will take him #1.

There is certainly a legitimate chance that Day isn't a 67. I hope he is, though.
Well...I think it would be a huge mistake if they did that. Not that Konecny can't be a great player (haven't ever seen him) but from what I have seen of Day he's going to step in and dominate at the OHL level as early as next year.

Haven't seen Strome at all, but from what I read he could end up better than his brother.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:23 AM
H2O

Funny seeing George McPhee at the game last night. He made a special trip to scout Sean Monahan, they must be high on him.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
H2O

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...153038943.html

Confirms what Manked was saying...

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:41 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
If the OHL says there's a 14-year old that's better than every other 14-year old, every other 15-year old, and many 16-year olds... you take him. Konecny will be a good player, but Sean Day is the logical choice.

Unless they're planning on trading Monahan to get the 2nd overall pick, too? Can't see that happening.

03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

I don't have any educated opinion on either player, but as long as Kilrea is involved and agrees with the decision I will trust in whatever they decide on. It's a pretty important one for the re-build.

Is there a deadline for the league making a decision on his status?

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:05 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
If the OHL says there's a 14-year old that's better than every other 14-year old, every other 15-year old, and many 16-year olds... you take him. Konecny will be a good player, but Sean Day is the logical choice.

Unless they're planning on trading Monahan to get the 2nd overall pick, too? Can't see that happening.
Me neither can't trade first round pics... just to let you know

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
mianjo

If the 67's make it known they are not taking Day will he still get his excemption?

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Larionov

The latest buzz on Twitter seems to be that Day will not be granted Exceptional Player status, largely because neither of the first two teams up plan to take him. Frankly, I think the OHL and Hockey Canada will be relieved, as they don't want kids applying for Exceptional Player status every year. They would prefer this to be an every few years kind of thing...

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Me neither can't trade first round pics... just to let you know
D'oh. I knew there was a reason why that sounded ridiculous. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
The latest buzz on Twitter seems to be that Day will not be granted Exceptional Player status, largely because neither of the first two teams up plan to take him. Frankly, I think the OHL and Hockey Canada will be relieved, as they don't want kids applying for Exceptional Player status every year. They would prefer this to be an every few years kind of thing...
I can see why they'd do that. If a kid is truly exceptional, then there'd be no doubt about him. So either Konecny's THAT good (in which case, why didn't HE get exceptional status?) or Day just isn't there yet.

hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Smash88

I always thought that was the deal, that the player would no doubt go 1st overall..

To me if there is any doubt whatsoever, then he shouldn't get exceptional player.. He can just wait like everyone else..

It seems like there is a case every year for one of these... Which definitely should not be the case..

How many of these have been given out? I know JT, Ekblad and McDavid. Are there others?

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
They'll take Day.

They HAVE to take Day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Are you sure lol?

Quote:
Hey Tigers, nice to see you venture here.

I'd like to hear who you think the 67s will take (or why they wouldn't take day), as I trust your opinion on the OHL more than any other poster on HFBoards. For those that don't know Tigers, this guy knows his ****.
I think my post of a few weeks ago makes more sense now

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Just some people speculating without actually understanding the rule. Hockey Canada makes the call, not the OHL, and Hockey Canada has no idea who the 67's are looking to take, nor do they care.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
I always thought that was the deal, that the player would no doubt go 1st overall..

To me if there is any doubt whatsoever, then he shouldn't get exceptional player.. He can just wait like everyone else..

It seems like there is a case every year for one of these... Which definitely should not be the case..

How many of these have been given out? I know JT, Ekblad and McDavid. Are there others?
There has been three approved exceptional status rulings in 7 years. Id ask, if you feel it happens too often, then which one was wrong?

It may FEEL like there has been alot of TALK, however when you look at it, they haven't got one wrong.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Looks like the 67s 'picked' a good year to suck.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
That has nothing to do with it. Just some people speculating without actually understanding the rule. Hockey Canada makes the call, not the OHL, and Hockey Canada has no idea who the 67's are looking to take, nor do they care.
Thanks Tigers I really was having a hard time believing it.

Just to let everyone know, the OHL Cup is a really good tournament to see the stars of tomorrow, and it's always held at the Hershey Centre. This was the first year in 5 years that I was not in attendance, but Konecny was 2nd in the tournament in scoring, with 11 points in 5 games.

Dylan Strome had 9 points in 7 games. Someone close to me who coaches Minor Midget AAA and has seen Konecny play this year is really really high on him as well, if it's any consolation. I would not be mad to see the 67s take Konecny.

He's a very skilled player, but he has somewhat "grit" to him that most smaller scoring forwards don't have.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Monahan really spring boarded himself into the mix with his OHL cup performance IIRC. Makes sense that Ottawa is so interested in Konecny but It'd be hard to pass on an exceptional status D. That's a guy you can literally build around.

I'm still really worried about the team losing Monahan next year to the NHL.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote