HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Recalled

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 10:56 AM
  #26
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,492
vCash: 500
Glad to see Schroeder back; would really like to see him reunited with Hansen and Raymond, but he'll likely get stuck between Sestito/Weise and Pinizzotto.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:56 AM
  #27
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Glad to see Schroeder back; would really like to see him reunited with Hansen and Raymond, but he'll likely get stuck between Sestito/Weise and Pinizzotto.
He looked good with Pinizzotto in the pre-season a year ago so maybe they'll find some chemistry.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
  #28
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Glad to see Schroeder back; would really like to see him reunited with Hansen and Raymond, but he'll likely get stuck between Sestito/Weise and Pinizzotto.
We have 4 centers on our active roster now, in order on the depth chart they should be Hank, Schroeder, Ebbett, Lapierre. I doubt we will see that though.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:21 AM
  #29
Cocoa Crisp
Registered User
 
Cocoa Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Prospect list rankings don`t worry me, I have seen lots of "great systems" never amount to anything. Some of the same teams, over and over and over

Everyone is always so concerned with "the window" but I am convinced that when the time comes Gillis will make a retooling as quick and painless as possible. A lot is going to happen between now and the time we change direction with our key players.

We have a couple good prospects and one that has the potential to be good.
This is so true. It's almost desirable not to be rated in the top 5. Good teams phase their players in gradually over time, not throw them into the deep end.

On topic: Hopefully Schroeder built back his confidence in Chicago and plays himself onto the second line.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
  #30
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I did a little research on HF boards.

It's funny how common "coach X doesn't know how to develop (use, play etc etc.) x young player" really is. Have a look for yourselves some time.
Definitely. The fact of the matter is that Schroeder has had one standout offensive year throughout his entire career - and it was prior to being drafted. So I can only help but chuckle when people suggest that Schroeder is not being "used" properly or "developed" properly.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
  #31
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
I don't really get all the complaints about Schroeder being stuck on the 4th line. He was playing on the first unit powerplay and has been given a pretty good opportunity to succeed. I think it's pretty tough for a young player in his first callup and hopefully a few days in Chicago allowed him to refocus and he comes back and plays like he did when he was first called up. I thought his play was starting to fall off in the last few games with the Canucks.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
  #32
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't really get all the complaints about Schroeder being stuck on the 4th line. He was playing on the first unit powerplay and has been given a pretty good opportunity to succeed. I think it's pretty tough for a young player in his first callup and hopefully a few days in Chicago allowed him to refocus and he comes back and plays like he did when he was first called up.
Probably because playing the point on the 1st unit PP is just setting him up to fail. That isn't a spot a rookie CENTER would succeed in.

The old square peg, round hole argument. That spot doesn't put him in the best position to succeed, it actually put him in a position to fail IMO.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  #33
Land O Lakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Definitely. The fact of the matter is that Schroeder has had one standout offensive year throughout his entire career - and it was prior to being drafted. So I can only help but chuckle when people suggest that Schroeder is not being "used" properly or "developed" properly.
So he hasn't matched his offensive production prior to being drafted (2 good years at UMN, leading alltime WJC American scorer), and the thought that he might not be developing properly makes you "chuckle". Okay. The fact is that he is a good player. He has shown he can play with Raymond and Hansen. And he has produced at a rate no worse than any Canucks prospect in the last 10 years for your AHL affiliate. It makes me chuckle when people suggest he shouldn't be given a chance.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:26 PM
  #34
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Probably because playing the point on the 1st unit PP is just setting him up to fail. That isn't a spot a rookie CENTER would succeed in.

The old square peg, round hole argument. That spot doesn't put him in the best position to succeed, it actually put him in a position to fail IMO.
He had an opportunity to succeed and first unit poweplay time is something few rookies get so early regardless of whether or not they are playing out of position on the point. I just saw a young player losing his confidence which is not that unusual. A little time to refocus in Chicago and maybe build up his confidence is probably a good thing. He now has a taste of what it takes to succeed in the NHL. if he plays well on the 4th line I think he has a great opportunity with the injury to Kesler to move back up the lineup.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
  #35
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I disagree. He had an opportunity to succeed. I just saw a young player losing his confidence which is not that unusual. A little time to refocus in Chicago and maybe build up his confidence is probably a good thing. He now has a taste of what it takes to succeed in the NHL. if he plays well on the 4th line I think he has a great opportunity with the injury to Kesler to move back up the lineup.
I'm not talking about him getting sent down, I was reffering to where you mentioned being on the #1 PP unit (you know the one that is down right terrible right now) as a point man (something he rarely does at the AHL level) isn't a position to succeed.

I have no problem that they sent him down (although I don't think his play had regressed that far), especially since they brought him right back up (after he played well).

I just don't think playing with Sestito and Weise is a good spot to succeed, especially if people are going to use his production as a means to measure how well he's playing.

My big gripe is Lappierre still gets to play and play often, because IMO, he's tied for most dissapointing Canuck this season with Edler.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:31 PM
  #36
Cocoa Crisp
Registered User
 
Cocoa Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Probably because playing the point on the 1st unit PP is just setting him up to fail. That isn't a spot a rookie CENTER would succeed in.

The old square peg, round hole argument. That spot doesn't put him in the best position to succeed, it actually put him in a position to fail IMO.
Anyone else annoyed he was positioned in the high slot. Our only other playmaking center and Brown wouldn't see fit to have him out on the halfboards...

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
  #37
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Anyone else annoyed he was positioned in the high slot. Our only other playmaking center and Brown wouldn't see fit to have him out on the halfboards...
He runs it in Chicago off the half boards, don't know why they wouldn't try him there in Vancouver.

2nd unit with Kassian or Hansen on the goal line in the left corner and either Raymond/Higgins on the back door.

Seems like a simple fix to the problem ( I don't like the floating winger in the slot for the personnel we have).

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
  #38
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm not talking about him getting sent down, I was reffering to where you mentioned being on the #1 PP unit (you know the one that is down right terrible right now) as a point man (something he rarely does at the AHL level) isn't a position to succeed.

I have no problem that they sent him down (although I don't think his play had regressed that far), especially since they brought him right back up (after he played well).

I just don't think playing with Sestito and Weise is a good spot to succeed, especially if people are going to use his production as a means to measure how well he's playing.

My big gripe is Lappierre still gets to play and play often, because IMO, he's tied for most dissapointing Canuck this season with Edler.
I think we're on the same page on Schroeder's play this year. I really see him as probably having the best chance he'll ever have to crack the lineup. And I don't think it would take much for him to move off the fourth line.
I also agree on Lapierre. My best guess is that the coaching staff feels they need to get him going as he will be key in the playoffs. He definitely has taken a step back this year and is starting to also take some lazy penalties. On most teams I think he slots in on the 4th line. Hopefully Schroeder can push him down the depth chart so that when Kesler comes back Lappy is playing on our 4th line. If not, then I think a legitimate 3rd line center with some offensive upside is a hole that needs to be filled.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
  #39
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
He had an opportunity to succeed and first unit poweplay time is something few rookies get so early regardless of whether or not they are playing out of position on the point.
The PP wasn't working prior to him being on it and he was put out of position, in what possible universe is that an opportunity to succeed? An opportunity to succeed is being put on the 1st line with the Sedins playing at their best, or being put as a trigger-man on an otherwise working PP, or playing next to Crosby/Malkin.

He was given an opportunity to make a difference but that's very different from being put in a position to succeed.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
  #40
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He runs it in Chicago off the half boards, don't know why they wouldn't try him there in Vancouver.

2nd unit with Kassian or Hansen on the goal line in the left corner and either Raymond/Higgins on the back door.

Seems like a simple fix to the problem ( I don't like the floating winger in the slot for the personnel we have).
Slightly off topic, but I'd go with Garrison and Edler on the point. We have a defenceman who I believe was either the first or second top goal scorer on the power play and we're not using him much. Having Schroeder ther ewhen you know he won''t shoot lets the other team focus on Edler. I'd also take Burrows off of the first unit. Whether justified or not he gets called for too many penalties. Put Kassian in front of the net or even move Hansen up to the first unit.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  #41
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The PP wasn't working prior to him being on it and he was put out of position, in what possible universe is that an opportunity to succeed? An opportunity to succeed is being put on the 1st line with the Sedins playing at their best, or being put as a trigger-man on an otherwise working PP, or playing next to Crosby/Malkin.

He was given an opportunity to make a difference but that's very different from being put in a position to succeed.
Again, I'll disagree. If you get first unit powerplay time as a rookie that's a pure bonus. Obviously getting to play with Crosby/Malkin or the Sedins is a much better opportunity but realistically how many rookies get put into that type of situation.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
  #42
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,689
vCash: 50
Give Schroeder 2nd Line minutes, if Ebbett gets the 2nd line job over Schredder I WILL LOSE IT.

Knowing AV and his secret love for Ebbett, it'll happen. Every mistake Ebbett makes will be pinned on Ballard.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
  #43
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Give Schroeder 2nd Line minutes, if Ebbett gets the 2nd line job over Schredder I WILL LOSE IT.

Knowing AV and his secret love for Ebbett, it'll happen. Every mistake Ebbett makes will be pinned on Ballard.
With the way Bieksa played against Nashville, I'm pretty sure Ballard earned being scratched for the rest of the year.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
  #44
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Give Schroeder 2nd Line minutes, if Ebbett gets the 2nd line job over Schredder I WILL LOSE IT.

Knowing AV and his secret love for Ebbett, it'll happen. Every mistake Ebbett makes will be pinned on Ballard.
I'm so glad I just finished drinking my coffee before reading that.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
  #45
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Again, I'll disagree. If you get first unit powerplay time as a rookie that's a pure bonus. Obviously getting to play with Crosby/Malkin or the Sedins is a much better opportunity but realistically how many rookies get put into that type of situation.
You don't see how you saying that makes no sense?

He's getting put on the point on the PP. That isn't his game or his position.

It'd be like calling up Corrado and putting him on the Sedin's wing....it just doesn't make sense.

If they put him in front of the net as the screen, maybe that's a bit better place to succeed, but playing him on the point was not, and still won't be if they try it again.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
  #46
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You don't see how you saying that makes no sense?

He's getting put on the point on the PP. That isn't his game or his position.

It'd be like calling up Corrado and putting him on the Sedin's wing....it just doesn't make sense.

If they put him in front of the net as the screen, maybe that's a bit better place to succeed, but playing him on the point was not, and still won't be if they try it again.
If he had been put in front of the net and he failed people would be saying the same thing. I'm in no way blaming him for our abysmal powerplay. But getting first unit powerplay time regardless of position is a good opportunity. The timing with our struggles on the powerplay may have been unfortunate for him, but realistically that's the only way he gets a sniff on the first unit. I don't really see the analogy to playing Corrado on the wing, as lots of forwards in the NHL play the point on the powerplay.

I don't have a problem with the way Schroeder was handled. If he earns more ice time he'll get it, IMO. He's played well defensively but he needs to contribute more offence. It seems I'm probably in the minority on this, so I'll leave it at that.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
  #47
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,238
vCash: 500
1g 3a in 3gp for the Wolves since getting sent down. Let's hope his brief stint down there has lit a fire under his ass.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  #48
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,737
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Again, I'll disagree. If you get first unit powerplay time as a rookie that's a pure bonus. Obviously getting to play with Crosby/Malkin or the Sedins is a much better opportunity but realistically how many rookies get put into that type of situation.
we could play jordan for 60 minutes a night - that's all bonus ice time yeah! go succeed oh wait he's dead

opportunity to succeed != responsibility. they aren't exclusive but they cover very different things.

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  #49
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
1g 3a in 3gp for the Wolves since getting sent down. Let's hope his brief stint down there has lit a fire under his ass.
With so few practice days this season, I have a feeling that a few games with the Wolves may have given him some time to refocus.

vanwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:21 PM
  #50
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
So he hasn't matched his offensive production prior to being drafted (2 good years at UMN, leading alltime WJC American scorer), and the thought that he might not be developing properly makes you "chuckle". Okay. The fact is that he is a good player. He has shown he can play with Raymond and Hansen. And he has produced at a rate no worse than any Canucks prospect in the last 10 years for your AHL affiliate. It makes me chuckle when people suggest he shouldn't be given a chance.
No, the thought that the Canucks have "mishandled" him makes me chuckle.

Hansen, Grabner, Raymond, and Jensen are four Canucks prospects that come to mind that have produced at a rate better than Schroeder while in the AHL. With Grabner the PPG might not be too far off, but Graben is a Cy Young type guy and his goal scoring production in the AHL was pretty impressive. IIRC Hodgson's year in the AHL came after he missed a year of hockey, and as a result, his PPG is much lower than it otherwise would have likely been.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.