HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
With 20 games left in the season we're still in the playoff hunted, that is something I haven't heard since 2009.

Granted that it's been a lockout-shortened season.

Seeing playoffs for the first time in seven years would be sweet.
This is the kind of faint praise that Tambo has been selling lately. Wow, its March and we're in a playoff race..

Yeah, because the season started in late January.

Not sure why people get excited by something that is statistically a given. That in a 48game season you're not going to be eliminated with 20 games left. jebus every team in the league except Florida can be hopeful at this point.

That said we played poorly, and barely got a result against the tired Preds, a team the Canucks, and Flames destroyed. Preds gave up 13 goals in last two games. We spent the first half of the game barely mustering anything. Hopeless. Only the W disguises what an awful performance this was against the Preds who are obviously in a nosedive. That we lost 6-0 to the same team recently has been one of the few bright spots on their calendar.
Heres something to think about too. That 6-0 loss was the first Preds W in regulation time in nearly a month.

So lets not put much at all into results against obvious also rans like Colorado and Nashville. We see much tougher opponents on the schedule and can't be playing patsies every night. Theres still half the teams in this conference that give us fits.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I think that a huge key for us to get in would simply be that Chicago and Anaheim continue rolling over everyone.

Since those two teams are basically uncatchable for us (and most of the rest of the west), we could make up some serious ground just based on them winning (and us winning too of course).

Since Detroit, LA and St. Louis have also pulled away from us a bit, if those teams can beat San Jose, Phoenix, Nashville a bunch for us that would help immensely.

But of course, we could just go a big winning streak and not have to worry about any of that. *Easier said than done of course.*
We are only 3 points behind Detroit with a game in hand. They could be the most catchable team that currently has a playoff spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is the kind of faint praise that Tambo has been selling lately. Wow, its March and we're in a playoff race..

Not sure why people get excited by something that is statistically a given. That in a 48game season you're not going to be eliminated with 20 games left. jebus every team in the league except Florida can be hopeful at this point.

That said we played poorly, and barely got a result against the tired Preds, a team the Canucks, and Flames destroyed. Preds gave up 13 goals in last two games. We spent the first half of the game barely mustering anything. Hopeless. Only the W disguises what an awful performance this was against the Preds who are obviously in a nosedive. That we lost 6-0 to the same team recently has been one of the few bright spots on their calendar.
Heres something to think about too. That 6-0 loss was the first Preds W in regulation time in nearly a month.

So lets not put much at all into results against obvious also rans like Colorado and Nashville. We see much tougher opponents on the schedule and can't be playing patsies every night. Theres still half the teams in this conference that give us fits.
The same team that lost 6-0 to Nashville also ended the hawks streak.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
We are only 3 points behind Detroit with a game in hand. They could be the most catchable team that currently has a playoff spot.

The same team that lost 6-0 to Nashville also ended the hawks streak.
Colorado ended the Hawks streak. The Oilers only ended the Hawks home record. Barely as well as Chicago spotted us a 4 goal lead and were still confident in getting the W.

Oddly enough the best game we've played in the last couple weeks was the loss against Detroit. Which speaks to our results vs the many teams in the conference that play us well. Chicago rarely being one of those.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
You'd think for a fanbase that hasn't seen many wins in the past few years we'd be happy just to get them.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

2 of our next 4games are against the Blues. A team we just don't match up with at all.

In the last 8GP between the clubs we're 1-7 and with the blues scoring 4 or more goals in 6 of those games. Blues have shut us out 3 of those games. Two of those scores being 5-0, and 4-0.

We'll know where we are after experiencing the Blues.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
You'd think for a fanbase that hasn't seen many wins in the past few years we'd be happy just to get them.
Is that the thread topic? No it isn't.

Maybe you could start a thread entitled the " Sheer Ecstasy of barely beating Nashville"

Old
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Colorado ended the Hawks streak. The Oilers only ended the Hawks home record. Barely as well as Chicago spotted us a 4 goal lead and were still confident in getting the W.

Oddly enough the best game we've played in the last couple weeks was the loss against Detroit. Which speaks to our results vs the many teams in the conference that play us well. Chicago rarely being one of those.
Whats your point? we all know the Avs ended their points streak. The Oilers ended their home point streak.

This team is 2 faced, they can play with the best teams in the league, and then get blown out by the worst. Once they figure out how to have Jekyll show up more often than Hyde they will have a chance.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Whats your point? we all know the Avs ended their points streak. The Oilers ended their home point streak.

This team is 2 faced, they can play with the best teams in the league, and then get blown out by the worst. Once they figure out how to have Jekyll show up more often than Hyde they will have a chance.
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be discussing the thread topic in the thread.

carry on

Old
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
It's funny how Horcoffs return changed the makeup and dynamics of this team for the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_smyth_94 View Post
Quick, let's buy him out before we get any better!
Where was he the last 3 years if he makes us soooooo much better?

Old
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
The Big Unit

This team hasn't proven themselves to be capable of putting together a solid winning streak. This latest stretch could be smoke and mirrors because we played a terrible 2nd and 3rd periods against Chicago, a terrible 1st and 2nd period against Nashville and served up Detroit 2 points the other night by blowing a 2 goal lead. The Colorado win was nice but they're the worst team in the West so it's a game we should win.

Fans are fickle, we were guaranteed to be a lottery team by HFOil a week ago and we needed to rebuild the rebuild and now there's light at the end of the tunnel because Horcoff came back and called a team meeting. PLEASE!!!!!!

We're not a playoff team this year unless everything goes right and that's very unlikely. As they say, there's always next year!

Old
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Is that the thread topic? No it isn't.

Maybe you could start a thread entitled the " Sheer Ecstasy of barely beating Nashville"
Yes but you never seem to be too happy with Oiler wins.

Not every game is going to be a blowout, nor should it be with this team.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Especially when prior to the season, everyone was saying they'd be happy if we finished around 10th and were still in the hunt around now

Old
03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Horcoff provides leadership and has this presence that captivates the entire dressing room.

It was pretty apparent that after the 6-0 loss to Nashville, Horcoff came back and had a players only meeting the day before the Chicago game.

Say what you want about Horcoff being a terrible top 6 player with a terrible contract, but he does bring leadership and strong defensive game to his game. Plus he kills penalties and wins faceoffs.

I've never understood the blind hate for Horcoff, maybe its because of the contract. I dunno. You can't deny that he brings a lot more than just "pure scoring" to this team.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:59 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't be discussing the thread topic in the thread.

carry on
Not even Sidney Crosby could pull those terrible teams out of the basement.

Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Busy doing a hell of a lot more than he's ever going to get credit for

Old
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 643
Looking at our schedule...I have to say no way we make the playoffs. There are simply to many complete teams ahead of us. Would I welcome a miracle run? Of course, but I do not expect one.

Old
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:

I'm not saying Tambellini deserves praise. I'm still not a fan of him.

However, I still want to see the Oilers make the playoffs despite the fact its a short season.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

However, I still want to see the Oilers make the playoffs despite the fact its a short season.
I think we all do. It would be great, but I am not sure how realistic it is.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
A tenth or even 11th place finish wouldn't be too bad either. Sure we want them to make the playoffs but this is a more realistic goal.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
A tenth or even 11th place finish wouldn't be too bad either. Sure we want them to make the playoffs but this is a more realistic goal.
Yeah for sure. That should be considered a good finish to me.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
2 of our next 4games are against the Blues. A team we just don't match up with at all.

In the last 8GP between the clubs we're 1-7 and with the blues scoring 4 or more goals in 6 of those games. Blues have shut us out 3 of those games. Two of those scores being 5-0, and 4-0.

We'll know where we are after experiencing the Blues.
yeah, the blues are a matchup nightmare for us, and have been for a while now... that being said, if we beat san jose, lose to the blues and then beat nashville, does the loss to st. louis matter? basically what i'm saying is that it's just one game, and that it won't matter anymore than any other game will matter

Old
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yes but you never seem to be too happy with Oiler wins.

Not every game is going to be a blowout, nor should it be with this team.
I'm happy after good performances. While the rest of the board was imploding and being set on fire after the Detroit game I was noting the team played very well. They didn't last night. At all. The Oilers performance last night was disgusting and performances like that being the reason they haven't turned the corner yet. That effort put forth last night would lose easily against most NHL clubs.

Quote:

Well we all want the club to make the playoffs, I was just saying, sorry as well if I targeted your post but Tambo's comments drive me...

Old
03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, the blues are a matchup nightmare for us, and have been for a while now... that being said, if we beat san jose, lose to the blues and then beat nashville, does the loss to st. louis matter? basically what i'm saying is that it's just one game, and that it won't matter anymore than any other game will matter
Schedule doesn't get much easier after that. We have to do better than .500. I'd be comforted in knowing most games left are at home except we're not putting our mark on these games at all and controlling our barn.

Last night being the complete joke of ALLOWING your opponent to get settled in the game. Rinne had been pulled the two previous nights and Preds were perfectly willing to fall down. To a man the Preds team has given up. Safest bet going is the Preds miss the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Two points out of 8th, mathematically we're still in it and mathematically there is still a realistic chance.

If we miss the playoffs by 2-4 points, I could live with it.

As long as we don't fizzle out like the past three seasons.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:28 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Horcoff provides leadership and has this presence that captivates the entire dressing room.

It was pretty apparent that after the 6-0 loss to Nashville, Horcoff came back and had a players only meeting the day before the Chicago game.

Say what you want about Horcoff being a terrible top 6 player with a terrible contract, but he does bring leadership and strong defensive game to his game. Plus he kills penalties and wins faceoffs.

I've never understood the blind hate for Horcoff, maybe its because of the contract. I dunno. You can't deny that he brings a lot more than just "pure scoring" to this team.
I don't deny he fulfills a role pretty well now but "captivates the entire dressing room" is a bit over the top. He definitely gives us a better chance to win than Belanger and Vandvelde. But this notion that the entire team suddenly became competitive because Horcoff came back and called a team meeting is a load of bull. Teams go on cold streaks, teams go on hot streaks and young teams are especially streaky. That's what we're seeing right now, a team on a hot streak. We still suck 5 on 5 and our special teams didn't go into free fall during Horcoff's absence.

What I'm getting at is if his leadership was so strong and his contribution to the team was so great then we wouldn't have finished so badly the last 3 years. Horcoff didn't miraculously develop Mark Messier leadership skills over the last week. As for the money he's paid, whatever, it is what it is and he's likely not getting bought out. I'll gladly eat crow if the Oilers make the playoffs and you hear the players tweet "we made the playoffs cuz of Horcoff" until then, Horcoff is a vet who's playing well for the first time in years and we have a huge deficit of that on this team. You could argue the trade for Mike Brown had a big impact too if you want, doesn't mean it's totally true.

Closed Thread