HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT What to do in Buffalo

Old
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
It Kills Me

vCash: 500
OT What to do in Buffalo

I'll be going to Buffalo this weekend and would like to know what good sites there are. I think I'll be going to the Zoo, and everything else I don't know.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
ovechkin12*

Send a message via AIM to ovechkin12* Send a message via MSN to ovechkin12* Send a message via Yahoo to ovechkin12*
intresting

ovechkin12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Pothier

Go rat-catching in the Aud.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
sabresfan129103

niagara falls is always fun for people who haven;t been there. little advice though go to the canadian side b/c the american side sux ballz. (and yes i'm an american so do flame me thinking i'm canadien). if you like going out to bars chippewa street is the place to go. friday or saturday night down there is always a blast.

you could also check out six flags over darien lake. about a 30 minute drive from downtown buffalo. very fun theme park, although i haven't been there in like 3 years. for food i would check out duffs or anchor bar (duffs is the best wings in town IMHO) you could go to a bisions game (AAA baseball). Games at Dunn tire park are always fun and very afforable, but i haven;t looked at the schedule so i'm not sure if they are in town this weekend. Buffalo isn;t the most exciting place in the world but if you spend a weekend here i'm sure you'll find something fun to do.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It really depends on what you want to do. Are you into clubbing? Are you more parital to a fine meal? Theatre? Art?

08-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
niagara falls is always fun for people who haven;t been there. little advice though go to the canadian side b/c the american side sux ballz.
There's no comparison, but the American side is getting better. I checked it out last month when I was in town.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
You should be able to find something that interests you from:
http://www.buffalo.com/ & http://www.buffalo.com/calendar/

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:32 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
niagara falls is always fun for people who haven;t been there. little advice though go to the canadian side b/c the american side sux ballz. (and yes i'm an american so do flame me thinking i'm canadien). if you like going out to bars chippewa street is the place to go. friday or saturday night down there is always a blast.

you could also check out six flags over darien lake. about a 30 minute drive from downtown buffalo. very fun theme park, although i haven't been there in like 3 years. for food i would check out duffs or anchor bar (duffs is the best wings in town IMHO) you could go to a bisions game (AAA baseball). Games at Dunn tire park are always fun and very afforable, but i haven;t looked at the schedule so i'm not sure if they are in town this weekend. Buffalo isn;t the most exciting place in the world but if you spend a weekend here i'm sure you'll find something fun to do.
The Herd is home from the 3rd thru the 8th (Tuesday).

Thu 3rd - 7:05 pm (Tim Wakefield Bobblehead Night/Throwback Thursday)
Fri 4th - 7:35 pm (Postgame Fireworks)
Sat 5th - 7:05 pm
Sun 6th - 2:05 pm (Team Photo Giveaway/Autograph Day)
Mon 7th - 7:05 pm
Tue 8th - 7:05 pm (Polish Festival Night)

For more info go to http://www.bisons.com

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

well if your into art you should go to the albright knox to see Chuck Closes self portraits. I hear its a good show. http://www.albrightknox.org/

other things you might want to do.. (if u have the money)

look up the jet boat tours in lewiston

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/niag...l_jetboat_.htm

screw going to the falls in this case.

the zoo is not that exciting from what i remember

you could also check out historic east aurora for dinner.. expensive and average food.. but an amazing building and summer porch to eat on. its mackin'

all that wing talk is worthless. get a good meal at applebee's no if your looking to eat around ask about.

anyway have fun in our city and GO SABRES! Though it will always be lets go buffalo.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:38 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Food suggestions:
- Duff's on Sheridan Dr., Amherst. Best wings.
- Anderson's, locations everywhere. Awesome.

You could always hit up the Walden Galleria (mall).

This weekend is also the Eden Corn Festival (about half hour south of the city). If this were one week later, I'd say you'd be in luck, because the Erie County Fair runs from the 9th-20th, but that doesn't help.

And if you're really adventurous, this is a big weekend in my town...

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 09:40 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Free violent femmes concert on thursday night as well (lafayette square) on main st.

As Chain eluded to the albright-knox art museum on elmwood is 1st rate.

As you mentioned the zoo is cool and cheap $8.50, but you can do get through there in about 2 hours. gotta see the river otters and california sea lions. If you go in the morning there is a good chance you can watch the otters being fed.

places to shop/hang: the elmwood strip between bryant and buff state.. Hertle ave

places to drink and people watch: anywhere on chippewa.

if you go to the falls and like the circus atmosphere head north of the border, but if you like a bit more intimate setting and natural park feel stay on the us side.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
As Chain eluded to the albright-knox art museum on elmwood is 1st rate.
They have Picasso, Gauguin, Pollack and an incredible collection of modern art. I used to work there, it's well respected internationally.

If you enjoy art and decide to visit, I suggest you go across the street to Burchfield Penny Art center, which displays the works of Charles Burchfiled, a very important local artist, and one of my favorites.

If you are into architecture, there are several Frank Lloyd Wright houses, and if you like landscape architecture, there are several Olmstead Parks in the area.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

eat food and hang out on elmwood. you can try to get into the aud if that's your sort of thing, last time i was in there i scored a stick bill guerin broke sometime before 1996 and a dale hawerchuk poster.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

If you're into nature at all, and you're hanging around the downtown area, try Tifft Nature Preserve.

Tifft Nature Preserve
1200 Fuhrmann Boulevard
Buffalo, New York 14203
(716) 825-6397
FAX (716) 824-6718

Used to be a great place to walk, and there was always plenty to see there. I haven't been there in about 17 years, but someone that still lives in Buffalo can correct me if the place is not what it used to be...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
So what you're saying is.....

You can go to the zoo!
You can hang at the Falls!
You can gorge yourself at the Anchor Bar!
You can get lit up on Chippewa!
You can shop on Elmwood!
You can visit Albright-Knox!
You can do some rat trapping at the old Aud!

BYAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I recommend going to see The Herd as well. Minor League Baseball games are real fun, especially if you like to kick back with a brew or 3.

Food? Duffs, Anderson's, Ted's, and if you're sittin' in a hotel and want some 'za, I'd call Bocce's for a pie.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:16 AM
zbubble

Quote:
niagara falls is always fun for people who haven;t been there. little advice though go to the canadian side b/c the american side sux ballz.
The entertainment part can't beat Clifton Hill, but the American Falls does have something better the Canadian side IMHO... the "naturalist" point of view. This is how you do it:

We're gonna start at the north side of the American Falls
And we're gonna walk east along the rapids
And then we're going to cross the bridge to Goat Island
And stop by the Cave of the Winds
And then we're going on to view the Horseshoe Falls
And put in quarters in the viewers to watch Canadians watching us on their side
And end by eating on the second floor of the restaurant overlooking the falls.
BYAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 01:18 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

i hate the canadian side of niagara falls. a bunch of whack ripoff tourist traps, huge buildings, and corporate everything does not appeal to me one bit.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 03:07 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

yeah its funny that you mention that liquid, because i felt the same way when i was around. like this is the best society can do for the falls. maybe it would be diffrent drunk and during the night time. But for the most part the canadian side has money but it does not seem to stick right.

off balance. but hey we signed max!

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
They have Picasso, Gauguin, Pollack and an incredible collection of modern art. I used to work there, it's well respected internationally.

If you enjoy art and decide to visit, I suggest you go across the street to Burchfield Penny Art center, which displays the works of Charles Burchfiled, a very important local artist, and one of my favorites.

If you are into architecture, there are several Frank Lloyd Wright houses, and if you like landscape architecture, there are several Olmstead Parks in the area.
Now isn't that a side to the Artest Fromerly Known as JJ that we never suspected.

I was also thinking of the architectural tour that features a few of the downtown buildings like the Gantry Building.

A few suggestions for meals if not into the local low-end fair, there are plenty of quality restaurants in the area. We are nothing if not driven by our foods...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 08:13 AM
whiplash

if you're going the zoo and want a place nearby to eat, i'd recommend the sterling tavern or the wellington pub which are on hertel avenue, abotu a 1 minute drive up from the zoo. the wellington has amazing fish fry on fridays, fantastic burgers and other standard pub fare. the sterling has a very nice selection of brews if you are into that sort of thing, a lot of smaller and local breweries and pretty good food to boot. i'd say wellington to eat and sterling to drink. there's some other quality bars on that street. not as hopping as chippewa, it's more laid back but you'll meet some interesting people and the crowd is a good mix of the ages/type of drinkers.
if you like golf, delaware park kinda sucks, but after 4 oclock it's something like, 7 bucks for 18 holes (on the weekday) and there's a good mix of 3 and 4 pars with three or four 5 pars. not too challenging, but cheap
food downtown you'll have to decide for yourself depending on what you want... the Irish Times right across from the ballpark has some seriously b*itchin nachos, century grill/pearl street grill & brewery/city grill have good... well, i think you can figure out what they have :p
as far as activities around b-lo there's mostly what people have said so far: niagara falls, bisons games are good for a couple hours entertainment and you can seats for about 7 bucks i think, cheap. you already said you are goin to the zoo but i can tell ya, i worked there two summers and it sucks the balls. i suppose if you've never seen it it's worth the 8 bucks though... yeah um, that's abotu it, haha. not much to do

if you're looking for wings, make the 35/40 minute drive out to the bar bill tavern in east aurora. they have the best wings in western new york, bar none. duff's is closer and good but truth be told, there wings are pretty formulaic. the bar bill's selection and quality is out of this world. funny crowd too, especially if there's a game on (which since it's not hockey/football season i dont suppose there'd be much to watch :p)
have fun. if you dont get gunned down in crossfire, try not to die of boredom while your here

whiplash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Baker View Post
So what you're saying is.....

You can go to the zoo!
You can hang at the Falls!
You can gorge yourself at the Anchor Bar!
You can get lit up on Chippewa!
You can shop on Elmwood!
You can visit Albright-Knox!
You can do some rat trapping at the old Aud!

BYAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My, we've created a monster...

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 08:36 AM
It Kills Me

It's more of a family thing, mostly little kids, so we can't really go clubbing.

I'm from Toronto, and last time we came there was good shopping so any big malls I should know about?

thanks for quick replies guys.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:02 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
It's more of a family thing, mostly little kids, so we can't really go clubbing.
If you don't mind driving the extra hour or so, I highly recommend The Strong Children's Museum in Rochester. They have a bunch of huge play areas and just recently completed a renovation that doubled the size of place.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
If you don't mind driving the extra hour or so, I highly recommend The Strong Children's Museum in Rochester. They have a bunch of huge play areas and just recently completed a renovation that doubled the size of place.
The wife was just telling me they featured it on "The Today Show" last week.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote