HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Rumours Thread Part V: Gaborik "available"; LeBrun: NYR interested in D. Boyle

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 12:15 PM
RangersChamps2417

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
I don't think "considerable young assets" is realistic, nor does that really help the Rangers. They are flush with young talent and prospects, but have enough veteran talent to win now. Losing Gaborik and only adding future pieces hurts them this year and next, when you still have Callahan, Nash, Lunqvist in their primes.

I actually think the Jeff Carter trade is a good comparison. Yes, Gabby is a better player - but Carter was 27 and locked up long term with a friendly cap it, Gaborik is 31 with a year until UFA. And though he has been awesome for most of his time in NYR, the inconsistency/injury prone tag stigma is still on him.

If they could get back a solid roster player that fits a need with a decent size contract, along with a pick and a maybe a depth player, that seems more realistic
My thoughts exactly. The flyers got Voracek, a first (Couturier) and a third. The Jackets got Jack Johnson and a first round pick. I think we can get a solid roster player, depth player and a 3rd rounder for Gabby, which would be a good haul IMO and could help create the depth we lost for Nash.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Glen Sather has taken on term in a trade three times since the second lockout. Ozolinsh. Backman. One year remaining for each. Nash is the 3rd player. Taking on a long term deal such as Carter is subject to cap recapture. The Rangers are already facing a potential scenario with the Richards contract. The NHL gave Philly a pass on the Richards and Carter contracts because the players were traded before the previous CBA expired. They are not subject to recapture.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:20 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Glen Sather has taken on term in a trade three times since the second lockout. Ozolinsh. Backman. One year remaining for each. Nash is the 3rd player. Taking on a long term deal such as Carter is subject to cap recapture. The Rangers are already facing a potential scenario with the Richards contract. The NHL gave Philly a pass on the Richards and Carter contracts because the players were traded before the previous CBA expired. They are not subject to recapture.
Carter will be 37 at the end of his contract. I don't see him retiring. Even if he retires at 35 when the salary drops to $2 million (2 years left), the recapture would only be $2.4 million a year. Non issue.

03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
RangersChamps2417

With that mold, a trade with the Canucks could look like so:

Kassian, Booth and a pick (Rounds 1-3) for Gaborik.

If Booth is ok (which doesn't seem to be the case) this could create some solid depth for us if Kreider can come up and replace Gabby. If booth is hurt, they could add someone else. We also could use the buyout on Booth and create some extra cap space for the offseason too. It creates options

Last edited by RangersChamps2417: 03-18-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersChamps2417 View Post
With that mold, a trade with the Canucks could look like so:
Kassian, Booth and a pick (1-3) for Gaborik. If Booth is ok (which doesn't seem to be the case) this could create some solid depth for us if Kreider can come up and replace Gabby. If booth is hurt, they could add someone else. We also could use the buyout on Booth and create some extra cap space for the offseason too. It creates options
This hurts my eyes.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Gaborik at 27 > Carter at 27.

I think you are looking at Gaborik @ 31 vs Carter @ 27.
Not sure I follow. What else would I be looking at?

Old
03-18-2013, 12:33 PM
RangersChamps2417

With Nashville:
Erat/Hornqvist, Yip/Klune and pick for Gabby

With St. Louis:
Steen, Berglund/Polak, Pick for Gabby

With Phx:
Yandle/Vermette, Torres/Boyd, Pick for Gabby and pick/prospect

I doubt the Yotes trade would happen, but the others seem realistic to an extent. Idk but any of those four deals would be along the lines of the Carter trade(s)

Old
03-18-2013, 12:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not sure I follow. What else would I be looking at?
Sorry, all I meant was that right now Carter may be the better player. But saying Carter was the better player, IMO, was not the case. We were looking at a 24 year old who was sulking and lazy vs a 28 year old high end proven scorer.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 162
Quote:
With Nashville:

With St. Louis:

With Phx:

I doubt the Yotes trade would happen, but the others seem realistic to an extent. Idk but any of those four deals would be along the lines of the Carter trade(s)
Bolded are the ones I don't see happening. Especially Yandle. I don't see a trade with the Blues or the Yotes (money!).

DET, VAN, NSH I could see happening, perhaps the Ducks decide to go all in, as it's not sure if Perry re-signs with them.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
RangersChamps2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Bolded are the ones I don't see happening. Especially Yandle. I don't see a trade with the Blues or the Yotes (money!).

DET, VAN, NSH I could see happening, perhaps the Ducks decide to go all in, as it's not sure if Perry re-signs with them.
Yeah agreed. I think the Blues really don't matchup all that well after looking at their roster. And I doubt they take on the money. Yotes the same way. So yeah, I think the Erat deal and the Kassian deal could happen. What do you think a deal with Detroit would look like?

I could see perhaps:

Cleary, Tatar, Tootoo, 3rd for Gabby and Boyle

Is that a reach?

Old
03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Yeah agreed. I think the Blues really don't matchup all that well after looking at their roster. And I doubt they take on the money. Yotes the same way. So yeah, I think the Erat deal and the Kassian deal could happen. What do you think a deal with Detroit would look like?

I could see perhaps:

Cleary, Tatar, Tootoo, 3rd for Gabby and Boyle

Is that a reach?
Yeah - Detroit isn't trading Tatar or Nyqvist any more than NYR are trading Krieder...

Old
03-18-2013, 01:10 PM
RangersChamps2417

Quote:
Yeah - Detroit isn't trading Tatar or Nyqvist any more than NYR are trading Krieder...
I'm not really up on their system, so my bad on that. What do you think is a realistic deal with Detroit?

Old
03-18-2013, 01:12 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
With Nashville:

With St. Louis:

With Phx:

I don't think Hornqvst or Yandle would happen, but a Mike Fisher/Antoine Vermette type is definitely the kind of guy the Rangers need plus a d-man and something else...maybe St. Louis if they can put in Andy MacDonald (solid vet with big, expiring contract) instead of Steen

Old
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Sorry, all I meant was that right now Carter may be the better player. But saying Carter was the better player, IMO, was not the case. We were looking at a 24 year old who was sulking and lazy vs a 28 year old high end proven scorer.
Wouldn't it be safe to assume that given how Gaborik has been playing, and how Tortorella has been using him, the same "lazy and sulking" stigma could be applied to Gaborik? Carter was also a proven scorer when he was dealt. He had more goals and points in his last 3 years as a Flyer than Gaborik has had in his last 3 years as a Ranger. Granted, Gaborik was injured for a portion of that time, but if that's an excuse, it's another slight against his trade value.

I still maintain that Carter was the better player at the time he was traded. The gap isn't huge by any means, but once you start adding in the other factors such as age, injury history and contract, the trade value gap starts to widen considerably.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
esidebill

Question. Does any trade on the market make the Rangers better off than they were with Gaborik? When you trade elite talent, sometimes it can bite you in the butt and end up a disaster.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Question. Does any trade on the market make the Rangers better off than they were with Gaborik? When you trade elite talent, sometimes it can bite you in the butt and end up a disaster.
That's really tough to say without knowing what the trade market looks like. Reliable information is hard to come by.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
RangersChamps2417

I don't think so. I think if we keep Gaborik and find a way to add depth, whether it be through minors or other deals, that would give our team the best chance to compete. Like someone else said though, idk what we have to give up besides Gaborik.

Two teams to look at that could help us is Dallas (Morrow) and Florida, who has a lot of gritty players that could help our third and fourth lines big time, as well as our defense

Last edited by RangersChamps2417: 03-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 01:19 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
I'm not really up on their system, so my bad on that. What do you think is a realistic deal with Detroit?
Not sure...although one guy I think could be interesting is Valtteri Filppula. My guess is the Wings would be resigning him, but if he is a guy they think could walk then he could certainly bring some skill and scoring to the Rangers.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Orr Nightmare

How about the Leafs...they try to make the playoffs and do some noise.

Gabby, Boyle, Eminger and Bourque(that type of prospect) for Kulemin, Bozak, Biggs and mark fraser.

If they don't want to blow up their roster, Kulemin, Biggs, Carter Ashton and Andrew Macwillam.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
RangersChamps2417

Quote:
I don't think Hornqvst or Yandle would happen, but a Mike Fisher/Antoine Vermette type is definitely the kind of guy the Rangers need plus a d-man and something else...maybe St. Louis if they can put in Andy MacDonald (solid vet with big, expiring contract) instead of Steen
Fisher, Blum, Yip for Gaborik and something else

Old
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
RangersChamps2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
How about the Leafs...they try to make the playoffs and do some noise.

Gabby, Boyle, Eminger and Bourque(that type of prospect) for Kulemin, Bozak, Biggs and mark fraser.

If they don't want to blow up their roster, Kulemin, Biggs, Carter Ashton and Andrew Macwillam.
I dont think the Leafs would do it. It's too many moving parts

Old
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
I will disagree with that.
Tatar and Nyqvist are available.
Jarnkrok, Sproul, Smith and Jurco are not.
Their Kreider is Jarnkrok.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
I dont think the Leafs would do it. It's too many moving parts
Yeah, I don't think they do it either but they have done a nice job of loading up.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm a little surprised that Winnipeg isn't being thrown around as a possible destination. Especially after their GM announced that he wanted to add a RW. They have a glut of defensemen on the roster and with Kulda just signing a deal with them, they could have even more going on there. Burmistrov rumored to be an available piece. While he might not set the world on fire this year, he'd be a great piece to add to the system. Has David Krejci upside to go along with a great defensive game, IMO.

I think trying to hit a "home run" with one deal is going to be a tall order. You might have to trade Gaborik for a couple pieces you don't love along with one you do, and then try and flip those unwanted pieces for help elsewhere.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Fisher, Blum, Yip for Gaborik and something else
Fisher will be 33 in June with 4.5 Mil cap hit until 2015. No thanks.

Closed Thread