Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Granlund 64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Not much. Still need space for the rookie contracts too.
This, they are going to have to shift some money around as is to fit our picks under the cap.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:32 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Seems like Jennings wanted to be a Viking.
Quote:
Per @BobMcGinn Greg Jennings told #Packers he wanted $15M/yr. Offer dropped from $11M/yr in season to $8M/yr before he joined #Vikings. Wow.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
#Vikings coach Leslie Frazier tells me he has spoken with Antoine Winfield and neither side is ruling out a reunion.
Article
Quote from the article:
Quote:
As it stands now, the cornerback depth chart is topped by Chris Cook, who has missed 26 games in three NFL seasons because of injuries and other issues; Josh Robinson, a third-round pick last year who fell out of the rotation by the end of his rookie season; and A.J. Jefferson, a subpackage contributor who received the low restricted tender.

Frazier acknowledged the Vikings must find a way to fortify the position, whether that includes Winfield or not.

"Without question," Frazier said. "We'll still look at what's out there from the NFL perspective, but also in the draft. We need more depth at that position. As you know, you can't ever have enough good corners in our league. So, we need to keep upgrading that position."

Old
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
tyratoku

Ponder was asked about Jennings:
Quote:
Just talked to Christian Ponder about his new receiver. Said he'd like to get Greg Jennings down to Arizona to work out at some point.
Quote:
From @cponder7 on @GregJennings: "I talked to him Thursday night after they were done Still waiting for him to follow me on Twitter."

Old
03-21-2013, 11:05 AM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

So apparently Harvin is bad at running routes.

Quote:
PHOENIX -- One of the dirty little secrets about Percy Harvin as an NFL receiver is how often he's not where he's supposed to be.

He's unbelievable once he gets the ball in his hands. He's as dangerous in space as anybody in the league. And he did improve as a route-runner in 2012, before an ankle injury ended his fourth, final and finest season with the Minnesota Vikings after nine games.

But it's tough to get someone the ball when the quarterback doesn't know where he's going to be, which is why the Vikings manufactured so many of Harvin's touches near the line of scrimmage -- something the Seattle Seahawks surely will do after trading for him, too.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I read that too, will be interesting to see how that shakes out. I do think Jennings will be good for Ponder, giving him a reliable receiver who can run routes, create separation, and catch the ball. He hasn't had that. But Harvin will likely be the more explosive and productive guy, maybe more of a check down receiver who can make plays on the field.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
I think we have decent talent at WR, Wright looked okay in limited time last year, I think he will be a good slot guy. Greg Childs is a big question though, tons of talent, just tons of injuries. If he can stay healthy I think he can be a good player for us. I still want to draft a WR in the first two rounds though. I just have no idea who will be available at our pick, this draft is such a crapshoot.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

A real QB like Favre had no problems finding Harvin all over the field. He'll have no issues in Seattle as well.

Ponder often can't get to his second and third progressions, not to mention lacks the ability to make most throws asked of NFL starting QBs, it seems to me that was the larger issue. Classic former player bashing, fluff piece that most every team "leaks" out there after the fact.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Royce White Leaving Houston

Seriously, everyone needs to stop talking about this kid and let him go off into obscurity.

Kicked off De LaSalle
Kicked off U of M
Kicked off Houston Rockets
Kicked off Rio Grande Vipers

Only time he's in the news is when he's saying/doing something stupid.

Seriously.

I mean, I know about anxiety disorder, I have it, it sucks, but don't try and blame your own issues on everyone else.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
A real QB like Favre had no problems finding Harvin all over the field. He'll have no issues in Seattle as well.

Ponder often can't get to his second and third progressions, not to mention lacks the ability to make most throws asked of NFL starting QBs, it seems to me that was the larger issue. Classic former player bashing, fluff piece that most every team "leaks" out there after the fact.
Pelissero doesn't work for the team and doesn't really write fluff pieces.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:06 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pelissero doesn't work for the team and doesn't really write fluff pieces.
Doesn't write pieces that don't start with teams feeding info. Much like most any other higher profile writer out there.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Quote:

I mean, I know about anxiety disorder, I have it, it sucks, but don't try and blame your own issues on everyone else.
Yeah, it sucks he's blaming everyone else when he was saying his flight issues wouldn't be a problem during his pre-draft interviews.

I really don't like sharks but I'd put my ass in an underwater cage 41 times a year over 5 years if I were getting paid $1,645,440, $1,719,480, $1,793,520, $2,751,260, $3,865,520 during that span span. But it's just a plane. Ain't no snakes on it.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
651*

Quote:

Seriously, everyone needs to stop talking about this kid and let him go off into obscurity.

Kicked off De LaSalle
Kicked off U of M
Kicked off Houston Rockets
Kicked off Rio Grande Vipers

Only time he's in the news is when he's saying/doing something stupid.

Seriously.

What a waste of a pick for McHale and the Rockets.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
651*

Anyone else feeling that new hot little blonde number on FSN, Jamie Hersch?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1280&bih=933

Old
03-25-2013, 02:33 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...199903241.html

Good luck Tubby! I would have liked to see him stay for at least another year.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot this was the "Pro" sports thread. Feel free to move/delete.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...199903241.html

Good luck Tubby! I would have liked to see him stay for at least another year.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot this was the "Pro" sports thread. Feel free to move/delete.
It's all good. There isn't a college basketball/football thread.

As much as Tubby's teams under-performed throughout his tenure, there's a lot of money at the U tied up in buyouts that could be used for better upgrades.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Sportserie

Smith needed to be bought out. Anyone who watched the Gophers this year knows why he was fired.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
651*

Don't agree with the firing. He was courting Tyus Jones and the other two blue chippers coming in soon. They will not come here I suspect.

They need to hire Flip Saunders now - he will make them winners without question.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know much about basketball, much less NCAA basketball, but he sure as hell wasn't getting much done here. And constantly calling out student athletes after every loss is pretty weak.

Can someone explain this practice facility nonsense to me? Is it like a country club for the basketball players to hang out? What the hell difference does it make where you practice?

Old
03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
^trying to use that as a way to lure in recruits. Kids right out of highschool are more fascinated by;

1. The co-ed's
A. Playing Time
B. Ridiculous looking uniforms (mainly football)
C. Flashy fancy buildings to play in.
D. Co-ed's
E. Winning History
F. Academics (because their parents told them to say that)

Old
03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Is it like when those schools built fancy apartments for the athletes? Might as well just come right out and bribe them like that.

Only way a practice facility could be appealing is the amenities. The courts are all the same. So I'm picturing servants and attendants and cappucino machines and private lounges and crap. Like a country club.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

The problem is that Williams is used for a lot of things and is always booked. Also, most teams have a practice facility with a weight room, while the Gopher b ball team has to work out at the rec.

Not exactly a great selling point while recruiting. Realistically it's not a huge deal but when every other team has one it's certainly a disadvantage.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
I don't know much about basketball, much less NCAA basketball, but he sure as hell wasn't getting much done here. And constantly calling out student athletes after every loss is pretty weak.

Can someone explain this practice facility nonsense to me? Is it like a country club for the basketball players to hang out? What the hell difference does it make where you practice?
This has been needed and put off going all the way back to the 80's, yes in typical Minnesota fashion this discussion has gone for that long.

The basketball team can't get into it's own facility because it is used by so many others from Womens bb to Volleyball. The Bierman complex in the summer is taken up by the Football team. Telling a D1 program to go to the park and shoot hoops is hardly fitting for a school the size of Minnesota.

Minnesota simply needs to answer one question and that is what level program is wanted? If you want a program that is going to compete year in and year out then the facilities to make that happen need to be built, if you want to be an ok team with brief moments of glory then stick with what you got.

Tubby should not have been fired, it just screams of Glen Mason all over again. A coach who got the most out of a team in less then perfect conditions. Shaka Smart who it was thought might come to Minnesota now has bigger and better options available and all the Gophers can hope now is that Flip Saunders will have some desire to return to Minnesota, beyond that they will not get a comparable replacement for Tubby Smith.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Jaykay
Big Gulps huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Tubby should not have been fired, it just screams of Glen Mason all over again. A coach who got the most out of a team in less then perfect conditions. Shaka Smart who it was thought might come to Minnesota now has bigger and better options available and all the Gophers can hope now is that Flip Saunders will have some desire to return to Minnesota, beyond that they will not get a comparable replacement for Tubby Smith.
You can't honestly believe that

Old
03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
You can't honestly believe that
You didn't finish the statement.

And yes i do believe it. If you think this team was destined to more then what they got then i don't know what to tell you but i am afraid that you are about to find out what life is like with out Tubby and we will see how you feel then.

Gopher football fans were screaming for Masons head to and they got their wish, how have the years after Mason been?

Closed Thread