HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Recalled

Old
03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
we could play jordan for 60 minutes a night - that's all bonus ice time yeah! go succeed oh wait he's dead

opportunity to succeed != responsibility. they aren't exclusive but they cover very different things.
I understand the desire to have our young players be given the best opportunity on the team in the choice positions. We all want the young players to have immediate success.
However, we've done well with players like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc proving their worth and then moving up the lineup. Raymond last year is another good example. Heck, even the Sedins who were top draft picks started out on the third line. I like the fact that nothing gets handed to our young players. Kassian and Schroeder will both have to earn it.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Spectrefire

Lines should look like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Ebbett
Sestito-Pinizzotto-Weise

If AV has any logic to his line choices...

Spectrefire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I understand the desire to have our young players be given the best opportunity on the team in the choice positions.
However, we've done well with players like Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc proving their worth and then moving up the lineup. Raymond last year is another good example. Heck, even the Sedins who were top draft picks started out on the third line. I like the fact that nothing gets handed to our young players.
The point being made is that he would've been more in a 'position to succeed' on the 2nd unit than he was on the 1st on the point. Just because you get put out there on the 1st unit doesn't automatically mean you're being put in a position to succeed.

Hell, he would've been more in a position to succeed with no PP time because then nobody would actually criticize him for not producing on a PP where nobody else was producing either.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
ProstheticConscience
Yes or no, Lester?

Quote:
we could play jordan for 60 minutes a night - that's all bonus ice time yeah! go succeed oh wait he's dead

opportunity to succeed != responsibility. they aren't exclusive but they cover very different things.
Laughed harder than I should've at that.

-----------------------

And c'mon, seriously, putting a small rookie centre on the point on your failing PP isn't doing him or the PP any favours. That 4th line posting was just plain stupid. It's not just about giving Schroeder the best opportunity, it's about using him for what he's actually good for. And 4th line banging and crashing obviously isn't it. AV seems to have it in his head that anyone coming up from the minors has to do it the Kesler/Burrows route when the natural aptitude just isn't there for that. I don't like that playing with decent offensive players has to be thought of as something that needs to be earned, as though the lines from 4 to 1 are thought of as hierarchical rather than functional. It shouldn't be "You need to work your way up through the lines" it should be "Here's what you're good at, so here's what you should be doing" imho.

Raymond--Schroeder--Hansen. Just do it, AV. Use your head, man.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Lines should look like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Ebbett
Sestito-Pinizzotto-Weise

If AV has any logic to his line choices...
Man that's a rough line-up.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Reign Nateo

AV started him with Raymond and gave him PP time. His effectiveness dwindled and he ended up on the 4th line. This is what coaching is. Jordan was not bringing enough to warrant anymore than 4th line ice time. Hopefully this round he's a bit better.

Still rather have him in the line-up over Ebbett though.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:28 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Man that's a rough line-up.
Champions written all over it

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Momesso

It's hard to blame Schroeder's play for regressing (as compared to his start of the season) in the NHL when the team he's playing with is disorganized and listless, and then he's obviously misused on the 4th line and on the point of the PP.

If the vets look confused out there, what do you expect out of the rookies?

I do also agree that when he's up here, he's got to keep his legs moving and stay focused. He wasn't skating nearly as much in his last few games up here. Also, as Orcatown stated, he might not have that much offense to give, so he'd better backcheck like a demon.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The PP wasn't working prior to him being on it and he was put out of position, in what possible universe is that an opportunity to succeed? An opportunity to succeed is being put on the 1st line with the Sedins playing at their best, or being put as a trigger-man on an otherwise working PP, or playing next to Crosby/Malkin.

He was given an opportunity to make a difference but that's very different from being put in a position to succeed.
Your standard for being put in a position to succeed is incredibly high. Playing with the Sedins when they are at their best = playing with two Art Ross winners. Playing with Crosby/Malkin? That is just unreasonable. I agree with vanwest, being played on the number one PP is being given a chance to succeed. What more does Alain Vigneault have to do? What more CAN he do? Why does Schroeder deserve anything more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You don't see how you saying that makes no sense?

He's getting put on the point on the PP. That isn't his game or his position.

It'd be like calling up Corrado and putting him on the Sedin's wing....it just doesn't make sense.

If they put him in front of the net as the screen, maybe that's a bit better place to succeed, but playing him on the point was not, and still won't be if they try it again.
This is rubbish. Schroeder hasn't only being played on the point, he has also being played on the farside (where Kesler used to play) AND was tried out in the high slot. He hasn't succeeded in any of these three spots, but yet people continue to complain that he isn't being "given a chance."

Will guess what? Schroeder also hasn't succeeded on the PP under either of his two AHL coaches. Did they also not "give him a chance"?

When will people start questioning Schroeder's skill set? Surely we can't blame the coaches he has played under for the last 5 or so years....Perhaps he just isn't that talented?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I am not declaring him a bust. I like Schroeder, has a reasonable amount of skill, good speed, and seems determined. I just think his offensive potential is rather limited. Still a useful player.

Last edited by Hodgy: 03-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Hell, he would've been more in a position to succeed with no PP time because then nobody would actually criticize him for not producing on a PP where nobody else was producing either.
To be fair the whole PP unit has been heavily criticized.

Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:43 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Your standard for being put in a position to succeed is incredibly high. Playing with the Sedins when they are at their best = playing with two Art Ross winners. Playing with Crosby/Malkin? That is just unreasonable. I agree with vanwest, being played on the number one PP is being given a chance to succeed. What more does Alain Vigneault have to do? What more CAN he do? Why does Schroeder deserve anything more?

This is rubbish. Schroeder hasn't only being played on the point, he has also being played on the farside (where Kesler used to play) AND was tried out in the high slot. He hasn't succeeded in any of these three spots, but yet people continue to complain that he isn't being "given a chance."

Will guess what? Schroeder also hasn't succeeded on the PP under either of his two AHL coaches. Did they also not "give him a chance"?

When will people start questioning Schroeder's skill set? Surely we can't blame the coaches he has played under for the last 5 or so years....Perhaps he just isn't that talented?
I agree with most of your post. But I think it's still too early to start questioning his skillset. I was pretty doubtful as to whether he would be able to make the jump this year but to date he's exceeded my expectations. His defensive play is solid and offensively he looks poised with passing the puck. I was worried about his ability to handle the physical nature of the game but he's shown that it no concern. Obviously, he needs to score more to succeed in the top 9 but he's shown enough for me at least to be optimistic.

In his first call up I think he did very well. His consistency started to fade before he was sent down. I'm excited to see if he can play like he did when he was first called up. For most players, the first jump up to the NHL is plagued wih inconsitency. I'm still pretty optimistic on Schroeder.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
The point being made is that he would've been more in a 'position to succeed' on the 2nd unit than he was on the 1st on the point. Just because you get put out there on the 1st unit doesn't automatically mean you're being put in a position to succeed.
i fear your point has been lost in very bad implied reading by uh, everyone else here.

dont worry, at least i understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Champions written all over it
sedins are pretty much equipped this season to 2man drag the team all the way to the cup so yeah

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
i fear your point has been lost in very bad implied reading by uh, everyone else here.

dont worry, at least i understood

sedins are pretty much equipped this season to 2man drag the team all the way to the cup so yeah
I have read what you have posted about the twins around lately, Very interesting thank you, I hope they keep it up and it starts to translate, and they get credit they deserve.

What will really happen is that teams will play a game plan to shut down the Sedins, making them look past there prime, then Kesler will come back, and with the extra room for his line (created by trying to shutdown the Sedins) he will look like a beast and every one will start to gush that he is the only playoff performer and the twins are bust in the post season.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
racerjoe

I have an idea, let's call up Jensen, and playing him #1 dman time with Hamhius... he should be thankful for the chance at that many minutes right?

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You completely missed my point or just didn't read the next post. He would've been more in a position to succeed on the 2nd unit or with no PP time at all. Just because you're on the 1st PP unit doesn't mean you're in a position to succeed.

Being given an opportunity to make a difference is not the same as being put in a position to succeed.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
professorchaos

Since this will be a roster similar to the start of the season, I wonder if AV will use a similar line-up? I wonder if he remembers how many games were won when Tanev and Ballard were partners, when Schroeder and Raymond were on the same line, when Higgins and Hansen were forechecking machines. Lol, of course not. Dan Bylsma he is not.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorchaos View Post
Since this will be a roster similar to the start of the season, I wonder if AV will use a similar line-up? I wonder if he remembers how many games were won when Tanev and Ballard were partners, when Schroeder and Raymond were on the same line, when Higgins and Hansen were forechecking machines. Lol, of course not. Dan Bylsma he is not.

It's hard to argue against the efficiency and chemistry of Ebbett and Raymond/Hansen. We've only seen them in a few games but they've looked good, I'd be wary of changing that.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
mossey3535

OMG, what a novel concept! We carry 4 centers when Kesler And Manny are hurt, and we put the career AHL guy on the 4th line and the prospect with offensive upside on the 2nd line with linemates he's already proven effective with!

Crazy.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:17 PM
professorchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
It's hard to argue against the efficiency and chemistry of Ebbett and Raymond/Hansen. We've only seen them in a few games but they've looked good, I'd be wary of changing that.
If by a few games you mean one game against the Predators, then yes they looked good (although the first play was all Hansen). However, Schroeder and Raymond not only looked good together they were able to help the team close out some wins. The team has played its best hockey with the aformentioned pairs, why not go back to it?

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Giving Schroeder 4th line minutes and first PP time is a formula for an old fart with no gas left in the tank but still has great hands.

See: Andrew Brunette, Alex Kovalev, etc

thepuckmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
If by a few games you mean one game against the Predators, then yes they looked good (although the first play was all Hansen). However, Schroeder and Raymond not only looked good together they were able to help the team close out some wins. The team has played its best hockey with the aformentioned pairs, why not go back to it?
But that also coincided with the Twins playing with Kassian and Burrows centering another line....why not go back to that as well.

We were winning.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
But that also coincided with the Twins playing with Kassian and Burrows centering another line....why not go back to that as well.
Well, why not?

Old
Co Ho*

Quote:
Eh, Schroeder and Raymond looked good for the first half of the games they played together and then they started to slow down and weren't that great. Raymond has looked great lately in his current role, I wouldn't want to mess with that. Maybe try juggling the lines if the Canucks can't get it going tonight.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I have an idea, let's call up Jensen, and playing him #1 dman time with Hamhius... he should be thankful for the chance at that many minutes right?
Put Jensen in net. Then complain why he can't score any goals while playing 60 minutes a night.

03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Eh, Schroeder and Raymond looked good for the first half of the games they played together and then they started to slow down and weren't that great.
Which happened right after Hansen was taken off that line. All three players then proceeded to play worse until Schroeder was demoted and Hansen and Raymond reunited.