HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 01:24 AM
  #601
Prov1X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
I know that they have opened up the back of the social club (not sure if it is a ball room or what) in the past when UNB played in the final. I am sure that they would arrange for the feed if they were playing Sunday night.

Prov1X is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 08:49 AM
  #602
radapex
Registered User
 
radapex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada, Eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If UNB makes it to the finals on Sunday at 8:30 I wouldn't mind watching somewhere. Since the game is on Sportsnet One are options might be limited. I'm not sure even the Social Club has it.
What do they have for a TV service at the Social Club? If they're with BellAliant (FibreOp or IPTV) then they'll have it because it's in the base package.

radapex is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:52 PM
  #603
VRedsRule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If UNB makes it to the finals on Sunday at 8:30 I wouldn't mind watching somewhere. Since the game is on Sportsnet One are options might be limited. I'm not sure even the Social Club has it.
Winners Lounge on Exhib Grounds showed the game last night. I expect they may.

VRedsRule is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
  #604
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Spoke with the manager at Boston Pizza and they do have Sportsnet One.

Rob is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
  #605
Prov1X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Congrats to the Varsity Reds on an awesome season!!!

Prov1X is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
  #606
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
is drunk

Rob is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:58 PM
  #607
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
I'm not going to lie...there were times in the first half of the season that I wondered if they they quite had "it" this year to win....but just like in 2011 they peaked at the right time. Their defence and special teams, much maligned by some of us on here, really stepped it up towards the end of the season. Congrats to the whole team and coaching staff on another great year and I hope us fans of the team aren't taking this recent run for granted.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:06 PM
  #608
radapex
Registered User
 
radapex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada, Eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
How about LaCosta? 3 shutouts in his last 4 games against SMU to secure both the AUS and CIS titles. Didn't have a ton of work to do tonight, but still came up huge in such a close game.

Hope to see him get another shots at the pro ranks.

radapex is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
  #609
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
This Wednesday at noon at the AUC everyone is invited to a public celebration of the V-Reds win.


Last edited by Rob: 03-18-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Rob is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 02:04 PM
  #610
cishockeyfan
Registered User
 
cishockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Year End Fans Choice Awards, I'd like to see some others thoughts here are my picks, try not to give a player two awards if possible

Most Improved Player - Marc Antoine-Desnoyiers
Unsung Hero - Dion Campbell
Best Defensive Forward - Chris Culligan
Best Defenseman - Ben Shutron
Top Forward - Nick MacNeil
Rookie of the Year - Cam Braes
Most Valuable Player - Colby Pridham

cishockeyfan is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 02:15 PM
  #611
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Most Improved Player - Marc Antoine-Desnoyiers
Unsung Hero - Thomas Nesbitt
Best Defensive Forward - Chris Culligan
Best Defenseman - Ben Shutron
Top Forward - Tyler Carroll
Rookie of the Year - Cam Braes
Most Valuable Player - Tyler Carroll

gusfring is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
  #612
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
That was Dylan Taylor on the bench wasn't it? Didn't see Kevin Pottle.

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
  #613
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Unsung hero - Daine Todd

UNB Bruins Fan is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
  #614
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
That was Dylan Taylor on the bench wasn't it? Didn't see Kevin Pottle.
Yes, Dylan made the trip.

FreddtFoyle is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
  #615
Drummer
Better Red than Dead
 
Drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
That was Dylan Taylor on the bench wasn't it? Didn't see Kevin Pottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Yes, Dylan made the trip.
Sportsnet/One said he was Criag Perry

Drummer is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #616
Drummer
Better Red than Dead
 
Drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
What if...

Imagine if Colby Pridham had stayed with SMU this year? I don't see UNB in 1st or the AUS champion let alone CIS Finalist - his face-off skills were absolutely needed plus the points he put up.

Given the same lineup - Gordie & Salituro would have had more ice, but it's not the same.

Drummer is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
  #617
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Imagine if Colby Pridham had stayed with SMU this year? I don't see UNB in 1st or the AUS champion let alone CIS Finalist - his face-off skills were absolutely needed plus the points he put up.

Given the same lineup - Gordie & Salituro would have had more ice, but it's not the same.
Agree 100%.

Now I just wonder what 5th year player we will steal for next season.

Rob is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:54 AM
  #618
cishockeyfan
Registered User
 
cishockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Its going to be quite the rebuild this year for UNB Hockey, I think we will lose more guys than we think.

I expect us fully to be a strong team again but maybe more along the lines of the 1992 to 97 VReds and the 1999 to 2006 Teams, not the dominant form we have been since the 2007-08 season.

Chris Culligan made a comment on twitter before the final that gave me the impression this was his last game and last chance. I could have misread it. The loss of Both Pridham and Culligan at Center would be massive.

cishockeyfan is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
  #619
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Pridham,Swan,Campbell,Denny,Lacosta and Fullerton all 5th year and done. Salituro, I believe is also finished.
Chris Culligan most likely done, don't be surprised if Carroll doesn't get an AHL contract offer?
Kidd?
Wright?
Todd?
Yes, it spells a major makeover.

They will need to find a goaltender to go along with Lavigne.
Mike Thomas is committed and it will be interesting to see if Kevin Gagne lands on the Hill, or will he choose the minor pro ranks?

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
  #620
wolf13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Pridham,Swan,Campbell,Denny,Lacosta and Fullerton all 5th year and done. Salituro, I believe is also finished.
Chris Culligan most likely done, don't be surprised if Carroll doesn't get an AHL contract offer?
Kidd?
Wright?
Todd?
Yes, it spells a major makeover.

They will need to find a goaltender to go along with Lavigne.
Mike Thomas is committed and it will be interesting to see if Kevin Gagne lands on the Hill, or will he choose the minor pro ranks?
Why would Salitruo be finished. Its only his second year at UNB and he previously played only 1 year for Robert Morris.

wolf13 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:10 AM
  #621
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
Why would Salitruo be finished. Its only his second year at UNB and he previously played only 1 year for Robert Morris.
Wasn't sure on his status.
This team will need attract the best recruits in the country, in order to take a shot at winning the AUS next year. Especially, losing the veteran skill that is graduating. Only the AUS champion goes to the dance next year and SMU only graduates a couple of players. The rest of the pack, including Acadia will also challenge, as they did this year.
With the roster cap in place, Maritime Jr players are going to have a hard time landing on any AUS team, forcing the elite players to find spots on OUA teams.
What was UNB's roster size heading to Saskatoon? Only Denny,Priamo, Chritchlow did not dress.
What is the cap for next year and didn't it get expanded by one?

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
  #622
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
Cap next year is 22 skaters (+ unlimited goalies).

Spots for Junior A grads will certainly be reduced next year in the AUS as teams will be less likely to use a limited roster spot on a depth guy or "project".

Also, how many teams, like UNB, will hold one of their 22 spots for a 5th year transfer instead of a true first-year who could play four or five years?

FreddtFoyle is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
  #623
wolf13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Wasn't sure on his status.
This team will need attract the best recruits in the country, in order to take a shot at winning the AUS next year. Especially, losing the veteran skill that is graduating. Only the AUS champion goes to the dance next year and SMU only graduates a couple of players. The rest of the pack, including Acadia will also challenge, as they did this year.
With the roster cap in place, Maritime Jr players are going to have a hard time landing on any AUS team, forcing the elite players to find spots on OUA teams.
What was UNB's roster size heading to Saskatoon? Only Denny,Priamo, Chritchlow did not dress.
What is the cap for next year and didn't it get expanded by one?
SMU does only graduate a few players, but one is Walingford and I would say there is a pretty good chance Bloodoff will catch on with a pro teams somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony Peters ends up playing pro next year as well, especially after seeing Guelph's goalie go to the KHL.

wolf13 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
  #624
RED ARMY EAST
Registered User
 
RED ARMY EAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Cap next year is 22 skaters (+ unlimited goalies).

Spots for Junior A grads will certainly be reduced next year in the AUS as teams will be less likely to use a limited roster spot on a depth guy or "project".

Also, how many teams, like UNB, will hold one of their 22 spots for a 5th year transfer instead of a true first-year who could play four or five years?
Unless, it's a player of Pridham's calibre.

RED ARMY EAST is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
  #625
AUS Fan
Registered User
 
AUS Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
SMU does only graduate a few players, but one is Walingford and I would say there is a pretty good chance Bloodoff will catch on with a pro teams somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony Peters ends up playing pro next year as well, especially after seeing Guelph's goalie go to the KHL.
What???? "one is Wallingford!!!!!" I don't know how many games you've seen this year, but I would think that most on here would not consider Wally to be a huge loss for SMU.....

AUS Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.