HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Timelord
Stanley Cup polisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

I had fun doing this..
Shopped!

Old
03-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
Shopped!
i fixed it now and OF COURSE its shopped!

Old
03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I thought Eller was rushed into the league just because he was part of Halak trade. Management wanted to show something for losing Halak. Had Eller spend another year in Hamilton he'll be ready at 22. Now 23 he's got 3 NHL years behind him and we are starting to see the player he'll become. A power two-way center. He might be a good #2 center or a very good #3 center and maybe 60-70 points.
The days of him MIGHT becoming a very good 3rd line center are over. He's one now.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
The days of him MIGHT becoming a very good 3rd line center are over. He's one now.
He was one last year. 3rd line centers don't often get 16 goals with a rotating cast of linemates.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He was one last year. 3rd line centers don't often get 16 goals with a rotating cast of linemates.
yup.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
dcyhabs

Not sure when his defence was in question. He's been a puck retrieval machine since he started with the habs. He's better at keeping it once he's taken it away now, though.

Eller is a good candidate for pure offensive linemates. He can go get the puck from the other team and give it to them, no help needed. I predict he ends up creating a Gilbert Dionne or two by 2015. Just have to hope the braintrust realizes and trades his linemates based on their stats instead of trading Eller. Watch the traded guys flame out without Eller while his new linemates continue the progression.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:06 AM
BobbyFischer*

Guys, I had a nightmare we traded Eller to Detroit..

I was soosososososososo mad...

Old
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM

The development of Lars Eller is probably one of the biggest reasons the Habs are where they are today. Having the ability to ice 3 offensive lines is a luxury not many teams have.

Add to that the fact the Habs are able to trust Eller with specific defensive assignments is just a huge bonus

Funny seeing that Pierre McGuire is already starting to strategically tap dance around the fact that he basically called Lars Eller a career role player is even more satisfying

Old
03-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post

You watch too much hockey

Old
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
You watch too much hockey
I swear, I was so pissed... I was even still upset for a good hour after I wokeup..

Old
03-18-2013, 12:02 PM
talenttracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

game
I had fun doing this..

Looks like Donald Sutherland, in a alumnie game.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:05 PM
talenttracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post

Had that nightmare to, and we only got Kronwall and Zetterberg in return.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenttracer View Post
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&**(&^%(*&^&*^*&

Old
03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenttracer View Post

Old
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

He's playing a good power game and definitely giving 2nd and 3rd efforts. But people have to keep in mind that this guy will never have a tremendous skill to find/feed his linemates. He's just not this kind of player, and in the end, I think that's why he'll settle as being one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. But I expect my top-6 centers to make their linemates better. Eller is a great player without the puck, especially in the offensive zone, but it's just not in him to find his linemates and setup plays. He's a keeper and a good one. And with him as a 3rd line center, in my books, you're a possible contender, depending on your first two C.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
He's playing a good power game and definitely giving 2nd and 3rd efforts. But people have to keep in mind that this guy will never have a tremendous skill to find/feed his linemates. He's just not this kind of player, and in the end, I think that's why he'll settle as being one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. But I expect my top-6 centers to make their linemates better. Eller is a great player without the puck, especially in the offensive zone, but it's just not in him to find his linemates and setup plays. He's a keeper and a good one. And with him as a 3rd line center, in my books, you're a possible contender, depending on your first two C.
He doesn't have to feed his linemates like he's a pure playmaker. He needs to create chances either for himself or his linemates, and he's done it so far. Keep in mind that he's paired with a rookie and a grinder without much PP time, it makes it even more impressive.
Give him two solid wingers, some PP time. Then we'll have a much better idea of what he can/can't do.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:03 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He doesn't have to feed his linemates like he's a pure playmaker. He needs to create chances either for himself or his linemates, and he's done it so far. Keep in mind that he's paired with a rookie and a grinder without much PP time, it makes it even more impressive.
Give him two solid wingers, some PP time. Then we'll have a much better idea of what he can/can't do.
It's not necessarily a question of expecting him to have a pure playmaker mindset. It's just that once he wins the offensive zone (which he does pretty damn often), he'll very often just hang on to the puck in the high slot instead of feeding one of his linemates who is skating towards the net. He would make his life that much simpler if he could use his teammates more. And his linemates are still NHL calibre players.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Sorry, but i think the "feed his linesmates" is so overrated.
Everybody feeds everybody. We see more and more "grind goals".

Look at Stamkos....somebody his feeding him!!

And it's kind of ironic, how come the one who is not that good for "feeding his linesmates"...is the center leading the team for assists?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Guilliam

I agree that ideally he would use his linemates better but I'm still not sure if it is because he really doesn't have the vision or if it's because he doesn't have the same confidence in his passing skills than he does in his stickhandling skills.

Ultimately, if he doesn't improve in that area, I'd agree that maybe he can't be more than a great 3rd line center. He seems more like a powerforward who retrieves the puck along the boards and crashes the net than a playmaker at this point. Maybe he would be more productive as a winger but it would be a shame to move such a good defensive center to the wing. So while I really like him, I'm still not sure what to make of him.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:58 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I agree that ideally he would use his linemates better but I'm still not sure if it is because he really doesn't have the vision or if it's because he doesn't have the same confidence in his passing skills than he does in his stickhandling skills.

Ultimately, if he doesn't improve in that area, I'd agree that maybe he can't be more than a great 3rd line center. He seems more like a powerforward who retrieves the puck along the boards and crashes the net than a playmaker at this point. Maybe he would be more productive as a winger but it would be a shame to move such a good defensive center to the wing. So while I really like him, I'm still not sure what to make of him.
I think the passing will come. It's not like he can't pass so much as he doesn't always make the best pass. I really think he's a player that can just keep improving. That's all he's done since he's been here.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Sthabs

Eller has it as a playmaker , just a matter of time, sometimes you see shades of it, it s not consistently there, but he wouldnt make those beautiful passes from time to time if he didnt have it, like we starting to see more and more with Chuckie and like he used to with AK. But I definitely dont agree with that tunnel vision thing that some people have been saying here, it s just a different style of play, and sometimes making the right or wrong choice. And imo, he hasnt fully matured and/or developped yet so there s more to come.
He s not as natural as DD tho, as a playmaker.
Still funny to say that this season considering Eller has the most passes on the whole team after Pax (not considering Ryder)

Old
03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I think the passing will come. It's not like he can't pass so much as he doesn't always make the best pass. I really think he's a player that can just keep improving. That's all he's done since he's been here.
I agree. That's why I've never lost faith in him. He's always shown a willingness to work hard and improve. The same thing was said of Plekanec, who was supposed to be just a 3rd line center...

Old
03-19-2013, 09:25 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Sorry, but i think the "feed his linesmates" is so overrated.
Everybody feeds everybody. We see more and more "grind goals".

Look at Stamkos....somebody his feeding him!!

And it's kind of ironic, how come the one who is not that good for "feeding his linesmates"...is the center leading the team for assists?
Are you actually using Stamkos as an example and for reference?

As for leading the team for assists, you DO realize that it doesn't mean he knows how to make his linemates better, right?

Old
03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
It's not necessarily a question of expecting him to have a pure playmaker mindset. It's just that once he wins the offensive zone (which he does pretty damn often), he'll very often just hang on to the puck in the high slot instead of feeding one of his linemates who is skating towards the net. He would make his life that much simpler if he could use his teammates more. And his linemates are still NHL calibre players.
He's always been more of a playmaker than a scorer up until last year. In his rookie year with us he was always making nice passes but because he was playing mostly with 4th liners it rarely produced result. People even complained that he needed to shoot more. But he adapted to his linemates and started to holding onto the puck more and shooting more. I have no doubt that the more he plays with skilled players the more his playmaking will return.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Are you actually using Stamkos as an example and for reference?

As for leading the team for assists, you DO realize that it doesn't mean he knows how to make his linemates better, right?
actually, while Stamkos scores a lot of goals, he does NOT make his linemates better, StLouis is the same he was a few years ago, same for Malone, Lecavalier, Purcell and the others...

VERY few players makes their linemates better (outside an odd game here and there), I mean, outside Neal in Pitts with Malkin, can you name many more who are clearly making their linemates better ?

Closed Thread