HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Arizona Sports Thread II: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Dan Majerle is in lead position to be the next head coach at Grand Canyon University per twitter. Really making a push in the WAC next year.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:09 PM
yotesreign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Dan Majerle is in lead position to be the next head coach at Grand Canyon University per twitter. Really making a push in the WAC next year.
Cool!

On a Suns related note, I just turned the tv to Foxsports AZ and they have the Suns game in ATL on, about 1:40 left in the first quarter, and the lower stands looked awfully empty - like maybe 1/3 empty on the sidelines.

Guess it's harder for some teams to get people to come out to watch the Suns come into town...

that last basket should count too unless they changed the rule in the years since I quit watching hoops

Old
03-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

A close one between Arizona and UCLA.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
A close one between Arizona and UCLA.
Nope refs decided they want ucla to win

Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

Reminiscent of the great John McKay during the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0-26 run to start their history: "Coach McKay, what do you think about the execution of your offense?" "I'm in favor of it"
One of my favorite quotes

Old
03-16-2013, 12:01 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
I understand the Phoenix love for Majerle, but still have no idea if he has any skills as a coach. Major step down from being an NBA assistant coach, but possibly better off for him to establish some credentials.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

What do you guys think the Cardinals are planning to do? Trade up to number one in the draft to grab Geno Smith before anybody gets the chance to even think about it? That's honestly what I'm hoping for at this point. I think KC isn't too determined to hold on to the number one overall, and with them trading for Alex Smith, I think they won't mind dropping 6 positions as long as something sweetens the deal.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:11 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
What do you guys think the Cardinals are planning to do? Trade up to number one in the draft to grab Geno Smith before anybody gets the chance to even think about it? That's honestly what I'm hoping for at this point. I think KC isn't too determined to hold on to the number one overall, and with them trading for Alex Smith, I think they won't mind dropping 6 positions as long as something sweetens the deal.
The thing is, I don't think that any teams ahead of us really want Geno. If we somehow trade up to get the No. 1 pick, we better be taking Joeckel.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:17 AM
XX
Lots of Try

A-Dub signed with the Patriots, because that organization knows what they are doing.

Quote:
GCU is a for-profit scam school that fronts itself as a small christian college.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:48 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
A-Dub signed with the Patriots, because that organization knows what they are doing.

GCU is a for-profit scam school that fronts itself as a small christian college.
??? Any proof on the allegations?

Old
03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
??? Any proof on the allegations?
By definition, it's a for-profit school. That's how it's organized under the law. It's not a normal public college. It's no different than DeVry, ITT Tech, University of Phoenix or Everett. The fact that it started off life as a small christian school appealed to investors, and they maintain the campus and sports teams as part of the branding.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...llegeinc/view/

These schools fill a gap because community colleges have been so neglected. But you're often left with a degree that costs twice as much as a public 4 year and is worthless.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

I'm surprised the Wildcats got the #6 seed to be honest. I thought they would be around #10, A bigger surprise to see Oregon in the tourney and winning the Pac-12 as well.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:29 PM
AndrewYotes

If you're going to call GCU a scam, you should call all uni's a scam dude.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewYotes View Post
All for-profit schools are pretty much scams. Awful staff, meaningless degrees, low or non-existent admission standards, non-transferable credits, all of that for a pretty damn high tuition.

I've reviewed hundreds of potential candidates for various jobs over the past 15 years. As far as I'm concerned, a bachelor's degree for a for-profit school (online or brick and mortar) is completely meaningless. Between a candidate with a 4-year GCU, UoP, Full Sail, Arts Institute, ITT or Al Collins degree and someone with a high school degree and 2+ years of internships I'll always go for the latter. Every time.

Last edited by zz: 03-18-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old
03-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I'm surprised the Wildcats got the #6 seed to be honest. I thought they would be around #10, A bigger surprise to see Oregon in the tourney and winning the Pac-12 as well.
Every projection had Arizona as a 5 or higher. I thought a 4 in the West was guaranteed. Top 15 RPI, top 25 schedule, wins over SDST, Miami, Florida...just dont get the low seed. But stays in the west and in the easiest region. Oregon got jobbed. 12 seed pretty much says they had to win the Pac to get in. Outrageous. I was at the tourney and Oregon deserved better.

Also you couldnt throw a rock without hitting an Arizona fan. Disappointed that the ref from LA jobbed Arizona but felt justified when he was removed from Saturday and another crew did the same to UCLA.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
The stated goal of a corporation is to make money

The stated goal of a public institution is to serve the public

There is a major difference.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:09 AM
doaner

Quote:
The stated goal of a corporation is to make money

The stated goal of a public institution is to serve the public

There is a major difference.
I highly doubt the goal of any university or college is to "serve the public." Look at the multi billion dollar TV deals handed out all the time. Now THAT is a true sham!!

Old
03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
I highly doubt the goal of any university or college is to "serve the public." Look at the multi billion dollar TV deals handed out all the time. Now THAT is a true sham!!
The difference being that a non-profit public institution is forced to reinvest that money into the school. At University of Phoenix, it lines the managers pockets. I know slamming universities is the cute thing to do nowadays, but you haven't the slightest idea how deep the corporate rabbit hole goes if you think the two are somehow comparable.

Cardinal Watch: still no tackles signed... reportedly didn't send reps to Geno Smith's pro day.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:02 PM
doaner

Quote:
The difference being that a non-profit public institution is forced to reinvest that money into the school. At University of Phoenix, it lines the managers pockets. I know slamming universities is the cute thing to do nowadays, but you haven't the slightest idea how deep the corporate rabbit hole goes if you think the two are somehow comparable.

Cardinal Watch: still no tackles signed... reportedly didn't send reps to Geno Smith's pro day.
I don't know anything about that relm. I took a class at univ of Phx and it was 1400 for a BS crap class that they "required." I'm not going to say that I believe they are the same. I just don't believe GCU or ACU are as "bad" as the other univ.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
AndrewYotes

The entire university system is a scam- that includes private and public.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I've attended courses with MCC(ground and onilne), CGCC(ground only), ASU (ground only), UoP (online only), WIU (only a hybrid course), NAU(online only) and Rio(online only). Academically speaking, they all have one thing in common; you take out of it what you put in. It's incredibly easy to pass courses without actually learning anything at local CC, at State U, and at Corporate Online U. Think back to your days in class. There were always people there just getting by without contributing or growing. That's the same whether it's in a class setting or online. You don't notice as much at ASU how clueless the majority of your classmates are because most of them never say a word in class. It's much easier at UoP to notice how incredibly dumb everyone in your class is because at UoP EVERYBODY MUST participate. Online courses can be as enriching and impactful as you want them to be, or you can skate by doing the bare minimum. That choice falls on the student. It's the same at ASU, though.

For the record, I think GCU is about one hundred times more reputable than UoP is. Even then, I've know people who poured blood sweat and tears into a UoP grad degree and I'm positive they came away with a ton of knowledge. I've also known people strolled right through, cheating, cutting corners, and scoffing at what a joke it is. Kind of comes down to integrity.

Oh, and online NAU classes are exactly the same as WIU classes - in other words, a cheap knock off of UoP's format.

OEL and XX, I'm thinking you guys are stuck in the past a little bit, here. You can get an NAU degree by taking courses online anywhere in AZ. The degree does not specify the format. So if you think a GCU degree is crap, than you better throw NAU in the mix. There is just too much money in online degrees for State U to stay out of the mix. More and more schools are going to have 100% online offerings.

Oh, and as most of you can probably tell from my unofficial transcript listed above I'm the world's worst student. Wildly inconsistent motivation at various points, though, I think have given me a unique view. I've bought in and done well at various points, and I've had a poisonous attitude and made a game of seeing just how little I could get away with and still pass at various points.

I've also worked in recruitment, admissions, and student services for a couple of different schools. I've seen the good the bad and the ugly behind the curtain, as well.

At the end of the day, if you are earning a generic business degree, I don't think knowledge you've gained from the degree is too terribly impacted by whether you went to ASU, NAU, NAU Online, GCU or GCU online. I'll even go as far as UoP, here.

It's not the school, it's the student.

03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
XX
Lots of Try

My bone is not with the quality of the education, per se, though for-profits have a deservedly poor reputation in that area for reason. It's simply that a for-profit school charges more for less, while still qualifying to accept taxpayer money through a loophole. Buy an accredited school, incorporate it, use the brand to pump out a mediocre education. The point with GCU is that the basketball team, the campus and all of that is pure branding. They (the managers) come right out and say it. These are the same guys getting called in front of congress for their dubious practices, like using sales tactics to sign people up for loans they don't need.

I think there's considerable upside to privatized education. But like anything else, careful who you sign something so essential away to. GCU, UofP, all of those schools are 100% about making money. That's why they are organized as such under the law. As a corporation, it's their imperative to produce the most (courses/degrees) for the least amount of money. Apollo Group, for awhile, was basically printing money. It's tremendously lucrative because most states can't be bothered to spend on CC systems and raise state tuition rates every chance they get. AZ is a big offender here. There's no justification for UofP or those of that ilk to charge more than a public institution. The % of people who are delinquent on student loans and have to declare bankruptcy after 'attending' these schools is astronomical.

The acid test here is as follows; would these institutions exist without the accreditation loophole that allows them to qualify for federal grants/loans? No. It is a scam through and through, before you even factor in the quality of education.

rt, your assessment of ASU is spot on for the first two years. If you are a student or soon to be student in this state, know that you can transfer 64 credits out of an AZ CC into any of the big three schools. Pay for the good stuff; upperlevel courses that are degree specific and only offered at that school. I was a bad student until about my 3rd year of bouncing around CC classes. I paid my own way through ASU and will come out the other side with 2 degrees and only around 25k in student debt. Not bad.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
zz

Transferable credits, a good research track record, published professors, on-campus jobs as teacher or research assistant are extremely important for a post-graduate degree. So far, I haven't seen one for-profit school offering any of that.

Try converting your DeVry engineering degree into an ASU master's or PHD. Good luck.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
zz

Quote:
The entire university system is a scam- that includes private and public.
It's not about private vs public, it's about for-profits vs non-profits (which include both private and state schools). I have never seen or heard of a for-profit school with a knowledgeable teaching staff.

It's true you can say the same about the first 2 years of almost any university out there. Then just get your credits for a cheap in a CC, at least they'll be transferable to a real university that'll provide you with a useful diploma.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

OEL, it sounds like you are talking about useful degrees like engineering. My mind was more about worthless degrees like business. Obviously you need to go to real school to get an engineering degree. For business? Not so much.

Closed Thread