HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|36-20-2-6|Prospects stepping up with the NHL back.

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Antropovsky

vCash: 500
Just to add, I really like the deschamps for Marshall trade, think its important to note that a guy with a questionable work ethic but with good skill, was moved for a very hardworking, aggressive player.

This is a mindset that both caryle and nonis have repeatedly said they intend to breed into the club. I think we could get a pretty good idea of which players whom already been stamped with FedEx markings, and those whom the leafs likey will have interest in as well.

Heart/grit > skill

Old
03-18-2013, 05:02 AM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Really like this years turn of events for our marlies team. Finally we seem to have structure. Develop, graduate, develop. Guys like Ross, carrick, devane need to be developing in the ahl. Kadri paid his dues, as did holzer, Fraser etc they didn't have anything left to prove in the ahl. In the ahl they were just impeding the progress of a new influx of young talent. Now that they are gone, it seems that new young guns are starting to flourish and take control of the team. Colborne, Mckegg, Ross etc. I'm really excited for the next group as well, boll, Biggs, Percy.

This is really the most important part of running an nhl team. The development of youth. Something we've ignored for some time.
Fully agree .. I'm really hoping Colborne can take this team and put them on a good playoff run, based on what Interactif has been saying, he's finally starting to put his size to good use and is physically maturing into a player that is NHL calibre .. I just hope that a good drive will propel him to leaf the Marlies in the post season

Old
03-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Fully agree .. I'm really hoping Colborne can take this team and put them on a good playoff run, based on what Interactif has been saying, he's finally starting to put his size to good use and is physically maturing into a player that is NHL calibre .. I just hope that a good drive will propel him to leaf the Marlies in the post season
Always been sort of a pessimist when it comes to colborne. Mostly because at any level since being drafted he's never dominated. I've always wanted to see him step into the spotlight and stay there. I was pleasantly surprised last season with his start, as i really didn't think he had it in him.

I'd love nothing more for colborne to make this team his own and dominate like he did at the beginning of last season. I just wouldn't bet on it though.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Indeed. I'm very glad that we are getting good production from our prospects.

I saw colborne in person and i said it then and I still say it now. He's a good one. He won't be a first liner barring a miracle, however he'll be a damn good second liner with huge size if he gets it together.

03-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Hamilton is not that good at all. He's not a very good skater, gets beat to the puck and just looks very awkward out there. Do you really think people would say the word "Norris" in a sentence with Dougie Hamilton if the Leafs drafted him?

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/0...coming-to-t-o/

Just look at the way he plays in those videos. M. Rielly is going to be the Leafs best player before his ELC ends.

Elite skater, high end IQ.
On Team Canada, it was frustrating watching Spott's decisions, he should have identified Rielly as a key player, as Bob Mckenzie named him as a key and played him from the start to build him into component of the team, he had the 3 point game, and that should have been the beginning of using him more, but he was not used and then in the last game was thrown in with a tandem with Ryan Murphy, who I said would be the downfall of this team. He should have went with Dumba even if he didn't stand out in pre games. But Dumba at least could move the puck and be more physical. The USA grew into the tournament, we never did. Relying on Hamilton and Harrington types didn't help. They were no match for Trouba and Seth Jones.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah...some rookies deserve the ice time but they don't get it.

Does Blacker get good ice time this year? I know he didn't get much last year at all.

He's a much better OFD than the points would indicate.

I hope Leivo gets the ice time because he has top 6 potential...we can't turn every non-top forward into a checker. Let him play his game and give him the ice time if he's working hard.
With Marshall moving in, Blacker is now behind Ranger, Marshall, and Gardiner on the depth chart for the Marlies, he still has a problem of doing the right thing out there, there was a goal recently he lost his man in front of the game and that player scored an easy garbage goal, still lots of work for Jesse to get to the next level.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
KlattNazty

Its pretty great to see the kids do well.

Leafs have a ton of options for call up depth. They need to get lucky on a deal and swing some of the depth for a top end talent, it would just let us bring up some pieces and really show the depth of the organization.

We arent even really discussing guys like carrick, ryan, devane, cresenzi as pieces the leafs could eventually use but each guy has a chance to be a depth player down the line.

Nice luxury.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Interactif

I'm starting to see why we moved Hayes to get that #43 pick in 2010, I recall Morrison saying he had him much higher, late 1st rd, and he wanted Burke to get a pick so we could get him. He is looking real good since his conditioning stint. Real bonus to our prospects group. I'm liking this pick, he also showed that mean streak with a great hit in the 2nd last game we played, could be a beaut.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Brad Ross = Future Darcy tucker. what's funny is the guy is super calm when he isn't on the ice. It's almost like Jekyll and Hyde case. I met him and he's super chill and relaxing but in the ice he's a mean son of a gun.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:29 PM
BenchedGuy

Didnt see it posted, not that its new news but here is a little write up on Rielly joining the Marlies

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=418484

Quote:
The Toronto Marlies will get added support on the blue line later this week with the addition of defenceman Morgan Rielly.....

Old
03-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Didnt see it posted, not that its new news but here is a little write up on Rielly joining the Marlies

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=418484
Yeap will join on the 20th.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Bleed Blue and White

I expect Percy will be along in a couple of weeks too (as I don't expect Mississauga to make it out of the first round of the OHL playoffs) which will be good.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
DevinH2004

Yea it will be really interesting to see what Eakins does with the defensive pairings on the Marlies once we get Rielly and Percy.

Right now I think he's been going with:

Ranger - Blacker
Gardiner - Yeo
Marshall - Gysbers

With Mottau (injured?), Grimshaw, and Syvret on the sidelines. I assume they'll release Grimshaw and Syvret from their ATO's, but having Mottau, Rielly, and Percy in the box is pretty sweet depth.

I would like to see that 6th spot rotated amongst the box players, maybe Hhving Rielly with Marshall. However, I could definitely see Percy with Gardiner who I think he'd compliment well. Mottau also has NHL experience which Eakins might like once he (becomes healthy again?) is able to play.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Bleed Blue and White

Come to think of it, I wonder if we'll give Connor Brown a shot too. Perhaps not in games because I don't know if he's ready, but at least a chance to practice with the team, as Erie didn't make the playoffs either.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue and White View Post
Come to think of it, I wonder if we'll give Connor Brown a shot too. Perhaps not in games because I don't know if he's ready, but at least a chance to practice with the team, as Erie didn't make the playoffs either.
Im sure he will get called up, at the very least to join in practice. I doubt he would get games though, we are too strong up front, and if the Leafs dont make the playoffs, Kadri and Komarov would probably be back down too

Old
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
DevinH2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Im sure he will get called up, at the very least to join in practice. I doubt he would get games though, we are too strong up front, and if the Leafs dont make the playoffs, Kadri and Komarov would probably be back down too
And Frattin possibly. Not sure how that works. I know teams have to submit a "clear day roster" soon. Can't remember how that affects who plays.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinH2004 View Post
And Frattin possibly. Not sure how that works. I know teams have to submit a "clear day roster" soon. Can't remember how that affects who plays.
Which brings a question to mind. If Gardiner is on the clear day Roster for the Marlies, then goes and plays for the Leafs(more than 3 games), does he then need to clear waivers to play for the Leafs if the Leafs are eliminated before the Marlies. He probably does but just wondering if this has anything with keeping him down.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Yea it will be really interesting to see what Eakins does with the defensive pairings on the Marlies once we get Rielly and Percy.

Right now I think he's been going with:

Ranger - Blacker
Gardiner - Yeo
Marshall - Gysbers

With Mottau (injured?), Grimshaw, and Syvret on the sidelines. I assume they'll release Grimshaw and Syvret from their ATO's, but having Mottau, Rielly, and Percy in the box is pretty sweet depth.

I would like to see that 6th spot rotated amongst the box players, maybe Hhving Rielly with Marshall. However, I could definitely see Percy with Gardiner who I think he'd compliment well. Mottau also has NHL experience which Eakins might like once he (becomes healthy again?) is able to play.
Gardiner, Ranger and Blacker have been the backbone of the defense so far. Blacker has taken some incredible steps in particular.

I'm guessing there will be a rotation with the rest once Percy and Rielly come in (though Eakins likes to rely on the vets in general).

Old
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Pretty sure Gardiner wont be there by playoff time.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caveman View Post
Pretty sure Gardiner wont be there by playoff time.
We can only hope.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Clear Day roster is submitted the same day as the trade deadline if im correct, meaning that we would have to use up the 4 recalls to make paper transactions to send down our guys.

Frattin isnt waiver eligible so I dont think he would be there.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Kulemon

Is Rielly with the Marlies now? and will Rielly be there at the MLSE teammup event?

Old
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Clear Day roster is submitted the same day as the trade deadline if im correct, meaning that we would have to use up the 4 recalls to make paper transactions to send down our guys.

Frattin isnt waiver eligible so I dont think he would be there.
I thought they got rid of that rule.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

D’Amigo Downs Monsters

Jerry D’Amigo took a silly penalty at the end of the 2nd penalty that let Lake Erie back into the game as they tallied on the resultant power play. Hockey normally always gives you a chance to redeem yourself and D’Amigo did just that by scoring the game winning goal with 2 minutes left and then tallying an empty netter to secure a 5-3 victory.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...downs-monsters

Old
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

some things i like to note
ranger, holzer, blacker, gardiner[though should be on team right now] and reilly will fight for spots next season

the players that are locks are
phaneuf
frasor [loved his game]
franson
gunner [if not traded]
gardiner [should be atleast]

meaning three spots or two are open
about 5 players fighting for them

I have loved the improvement of blacker
I thought he might need another year in marlies, but now is a dark horse to make the leafs next season, potential call up this year, but unlikely
big fan of him, and with time, think he will be a stud

if leafs dont make post saeson, either marlies is an option for kadri or gets a chance at world championships.

Closed Thread