HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 10:55 PM
mini2z

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
According to Jim Parker on twitter @winstarparker Aleardi signed a tryout with Springfield, Vail will join Hamilton while Khokhlachev will join Providence Tuesday and Ebert will join Onatario Reign of the ECHL tuesday.
So does this mean Vail won't be back next year?

Old
03-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini2z View Post
So does this mean Vail won't be back next year?
No. He'd have to play in the NHL next year, otherwise he's back. However players who have signed can play in the AHL once their CHL teams season is over.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Ottomatic

Assuming we have Sarnia's second rounder, my figuring makes that #29 overall. Also given the draft is in early April, can trades be made with teams not involving players or involving players to move up in the draft/acquire another pick?

Seems like we'll be pretty much in a holding pattern with our roster until the Mem Cup announcement is made. I guess WR could try to add to our roster - trade our second rounder for a potential OA or something, given only Remy Giftopoulis is sure to fill out one of our three OA spots.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:15 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Assuming we have Sarnia's second rounder, my figuring makes that #29 overall. Also given the draft is in early April, can trades be made with teams not involving players or involving players to move up in the draft/acquire another pick?

Seems like we'll be pretty much in a holding pattern with our roster until the Mem Cup announcement is made. I guess WR could try to add to our roster - trade our second rounder for a potential OA or something, given only Remy Giftopoulis is sure to fill out one of our three OA spots.
Yes they can but if a player is involved that isn't announced until the June period. Eg when the Spits got that extra pick in the 2011 draft in round 2 and they used it on Hunter Smith. Carnevale to Sarnia wasn't announced until later.

I agree everything is in a holding pattern until the Memorial Cup announcement. If they get the Memorial Cup I expect Warren to go trade crazy.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Yes they can but if a player is involved that isn't announced until the June period. Eg when the Spits got that extra pick in the 2011 draft in round 2 and they used it on Hunter Smith. Carnevale to Sarnia wasn't announced until later.

I agree everything is in a holding pattern until the Memorial Cup announcement. If they get the Memorial Cup I expect Warren to go trade crazy.
And if we don't he'll go equally as trade crazy - selling. Or at least he should, but he's so stubborn, he might still build to to for it to show up the host selection committee.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
OHLTG

I really, really hope he goes into selling mode if we don't get it. Everyone but a handful of guys should be available.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:17 AM
spitz fan 4ever

heard at the arena 2day that there is already a deal in place for pavelka, for a younger goalie(guessing 19yrold).Also that the spits will make a deal for 2 skilled forwards as soon as the ohl season is finished and b4 mem cup starts. Maybe Legend can confirm or dig up some info to see how true this is. Apparently they are happy with there depth on defence.....and of course maybe a surprise with 1 of the americans making an appearance as well.....Any1 know how big the trade window is after the playoffs are completed??

Old
03-18-2013, 12:48 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
And if we don't he'll go equally as trade crazy - selling. Or at least he should, but he's so stubborn, he might still build to to for it to show up the host selection committee.
He should go in the other direction but Warren has a lot of pride and I think he would love to hit 2 grandslams in the import draft and go after it as a big middle finger to the league but as they say discretion is the better part of valor.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:52 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
heard at the arena 2day that there is already a deal in place for pavelka, for a younger goalie(guessing 19yrold).Also that the spits will make a deal for 2 skilled forwards as soon as the ohl season is finished and b4 mem cup starts. Maybe Legend can confirm or dig up some info to see how true this is. Apparently they are happy with there depth on defence.....and of course maybe a surprise with 1 of the americans making an appearance as well.....Any1 know how big the trade window is after the playoffs are completed??
My understanding is that trading is opened after the playoffs are completed but there is a window where you can announce said trades. Heck I am not sure but you could probably work out a trade right now with a team like Erie for Stephen Harper but it couldn't be announced until June. They probably do like their depth on D but they will need to work something out because they already have 7 bodies all who can play in the OHL and have a claim to a spot

Sieloff
Koekkoek
Ebert
Murphy
Bateman
Brown
Sanvido

not including McNaughton Bowen

Old
03-18-2013, 01:06 AM
RayzorIsDull

Playoff predictions anybody?

West
London over Saginaw in 4
Plymouth over Sarnia in 4
Kitchener over Guelph in 6
Owen Sound over Soo in 5 (I like what the Soo has done since getting rid of Stapleton but I think this is a bad matchup, no Tolchinsky, Owen Sound has Binnington and a big strong team)

East
Belleville over Mississauga in 5
Barrie over Kingston in 4
Oshawa over Niagara in 6
Brampton over Sudbury in 5

Round 2
Kitchener over London in 6
Plymouth over Owen Sound in 7

Belleville over Brampton in 5
Oshawa over Barrie in 6-Gotta stick with DJ, Oshawa is my darkhorse

Round 3
Plymouth over Kitchener in 6
Belleville over Oshawa in 6

Round 4
Plymouth over Belleville in 6

Plymouth has been tearing the league up since January, have the best player in the league imo and hottest goalie. Not sold on London, Stolarz seems to be #1 I still think injuries to Harrington and Griffith should be a concern and they don't have the 19 year old veterans that they had last year. London is a +99 for 68 games, Plymouth is a +90 for 68 games for goal differential. Plymouth has probably been a +75 or so since January which is right around +2 gf per game.

I really want Oshawa to make the OHL Final, I am confident they can win 2 rounds but personally it would take a giant leap of faith to pick them over Belleville in a 7 game series. Subban is probably the best goaltender in the league and that will be enough to beat Oshawa.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:11 AM
big papa

even though you cant trade import picks anymore can they still make trades the day before as usual ??

Old
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Why is Warriner waxing poetic about Trocheck getting the points lead? I can't stand Warriner. He's like the anti-homer, he seems to dislike the Spits, always favoring the opposition.
As a STH I'm usually at the games in person and don't see the TV broadcast so watching this one was an eye opener for me. A hell of a way to end the season.

As far as I'm concerned Warriner giving props to Trocheck was just something he studied before the game so he had something to talk about that made him look as if he knew what he was doing.

What I couldn't stand was the constant conversation between Warriner & McLeod while the game was in progress.

Chris McLeod has no concept of what a play by play announcer is supposed to do.

He should have studied some old Kelso tapes. The whole idea of the play by play guy is to follow the progress of the play... a simple concept. Of course if he had bothered to memorize the players names to some degree it would have helped.

To top it all off as the Spits season was winding down, instead of giving a play by play description the pair decided to wander off into a story about McLeod's grandmother.

Hopefully someone at Cogeco who has a bit of knowledge of the game and who has some kind of authority will give this crew the bums rush.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
even though you cant trade import picks anymore can they still make trades the day before as usual ??
My understanding of the new rules is that import picks can't be traded, and once drafted they cannot be traded for a full season so teams can't make the selection and flip them.

The league reasoning is to get imports to bad programs - but these players have options and going to a bad program is not going to appeal to them. The league does everything so bloody backwards, instead of getting on franchises to improve, they try and force good players to play for these bad teams - it might work on Ontario kids, but good players with other options - be it playing at home in Europe, or USHL to NCAA route or U18's in the States, they're not coming over.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Spitsfan67*

West
Saginaw over London in 7(,I Said it)
Plymouth over Sarnia in 6
Kitchener over Guelph in 7
Owen Sound over Soo in 5

East
Belleville over Mississauga in 4
Barrie over Kingston in 4 Oshawa over Niagara in 7
Sudbury over Brampton in 6

Round 2
Plymouth over Saginaw in 5
Owen Sound Over Kitchener in 6

Belleville over Sudbury in 5
Oshawa over Barrie in 7

Round 3
Owen Sound over Plymouth in 6(Whalers goaltending cost them)
Belleville over Oshawa in 4

Round 4
Owen Sound Over Belleville in 6

I Honestly think Owen sound might have the deepest team in the league and obviously they have one of the best goalies, if it was the Bulls versus the Attack in the final it would be a great goaltending series.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
My understanding is that trading is opened after the playoffs are completed but there is a window where you can announce said trades. Heck I am not sure but you could probably work out a trade right now with a team like Erie for Stephen Harper but it couldn't be announced until June. They probably do like their depth on D but they will need to work something out because they already have 7 bodies all who can play in the OHL and have a claim to a spot

Sieloff
Koekkoek
Ebert
Murphy
Bateman
Brown
Sanvido

not including McNaughton Bowen
Well they have to give something to get something. We do have defensive depth and we need to bring in some scoring forwards, so will have to deal from here. Only Koekkoek or Sieloff would get us the level of scoring we need to bring in - though if w got the hosting gig I think Sanvido/Brown could be moved rather than trusting 17 yr olds.

We should have two OA openings, I guess I'll have to see which OA's could be available this off-season. Trading our second round pick for one (in a round about way ie #29 for a 4th and next years second,and then trading one of our 2nds next year for the OA) is something I could see happening. Even if it couldn't be announced officially, it's something that WR could sell to the host selection committee.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
West
Saginaw over London in 7(,I Said it)
Plymouth over Sarnia in 6
Kitchener over Guelph in 7
Owen Sound over Soo in 5

East
Belleville over Mississauga in 4
Barrie over Kingston in 4 Oshawa over Niagara in 7
Sudbury over Brampton in 6

Round 2
Plymouth over Saginaw in 5
Owen Sound Over Kitchener in 6

Belleville over Sudbury in 5
Oshawa over Barrie in 7

Round 3
Owen Sound over Plymouth in 6(Whalers goaltending cost them)
Belleville over Oshawa in 4

Round 4
Owen Sound Over Belleville in 6

I Honestly think Owen sound might have the deepest team in the league and obviously they have one of the best goalies, if it was the Bulls versus the Attack in the final it would be a great goaltending series.
Rayzors post said "playoff predictions" not playoff 'wishes' - LOL.
Saginaw over London totally discredits all your choices. No way that happens.

I do like your choices (and reasoning) for the final. The Binnington vs Subban matchup in goal would be very intriguing.
If goaltending isn't as much a factor, the two best teams are London and Plymouth...if the goalies step up big, the OHL final will most likely be your prediction - Sound vs Bellevegas.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
Yea and i heard a rumour that there is a deal in place, around Dekort+ for a good young goalie. I really find it hard to bieleve that someone would take Pavelka, he will be an O/A, Import Goalie.These are just for fun but here are some deals i would like to see if we were going for it next year:

To Sarnia:
Adam Bateman
Kuchmey
4th Rd(Pick a year in the Future)

To Windsor:
Craig Duininck

We get a really good Over age Defensive Defensman back in Craig who wont throw up alot of points but boy is he solid Defensively, he will jump in front of every shot and will make the Defense alot stronger, Sarnia gets Bateman who has made some strides this season towards the end, i think it just isnt working out here in Windsor and a move to Sarnia who will be rebuilding more then likely with Boucher and Sarault moving on to pro, Adam will get a bigger role then here in Windsor, along with Bateman they get Kuchmey who has played stellar in Junior B and deserves a shot in the OHL.

To Windsor:
Daniel Altshuller

To Oshawa:
Jordan DeKort
Ryan Verbeek
Graeme Brown

Windsor gets a good goalie who can steal games and a guy you are confident in. Oshawa who like Sarnia will go into rebuild mode next season, they get a younger goalie who has just not worked out here in Windsor, and they get 2 younger players in Verbeek who has gotten better as the season has went on and he has some jam to his game and they get Brown who has looked solid so far in his games with Windsor.

To Windsor:
Brendan Gaunce

To Belleville:
Pat Sanvido
Ben Johnson
John Bowen(Throw in)
2nd Rd. 2014

Is this enough? if not what else would the spits need to add?...This would help the Spits because Gaunce is a great player and would help the offence big time. The Bulls might go into rebuild mode after this season with Subban, Graovac, and Quine all more then likely gone after this season, so this would let them bring in a big 6'6 defensive defensman who is young and i think will be a great Dman along With Johnson who is a good two-way player and is bound to break out offensively, and they get a second round pick next year.

I think if the Spits could pull the trigger on atleast one of these trades it would help them moving into next year.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:31 PM
hockeylegend11

Spitsfan67

Your suggested trades all in fun of course are interesting to say the least,and while of some
of the players coming this way are intriguing not sure any would be consumated in the forms
you have proposed
1- As reaquiring Duinink I think that ship has sailed,I agree with Spits management I would rather not tamper with the 7 guys Windsor already have,Sanvido,Seiloff,Ebert
Bateman,Brown,Murphy,and Koekkoek
If I am gong to move a young D-be it Bateman,Brown and Sanvido as u have proposed in your deals I prefer a young forward
2- Your deal for Altshuller holds water if Windsor indeed is going for it ,otherwise no
plus Dekort,Brown and Verbeek is far too much youth to give up in this deal
if I were to make a deal here I would offer Dekort,not saying I am in favour of dealing
him but illustratative purposes only and John Bowen D-man,DJ Smith loves him,besides Oshawa is losing Mcguire and Sabourin and Smith will want to beef up his toughness quotient
Oshawa is rebuilding after so they might be interested in such a deal
If not I would offer DeKort for Appleby both young goalies same age who might want the opp to play elsewhere
3- as much as I like Gaunce I doubt Belleville trades him for the players u suggest,Sanvido"s lack of foot speed would be exposed in Belleville"s large rink,and Ben Johnson does not have the high ceiling talent that Gaunce has
One deal I could for is Windsor trading Graehame Brown to Erie for Lw Steven Harper
with Eriie keeping the designation for gold edc pack purposes,Erie gets a young D-man with upside,an area they need help badly for a forward who may need a change of scenery
Harper would fit in nicely as a top 6 forward with some size
Another move would be trade Nick Ebert to Sarnia for Alex Basso would be an O/A
Sarnia gets to keep Duinink and Pantakis,and Latta as their O/As and get Ebert in the process
Windsor gets a more consistent offensive prescence then Ebert especially if they are going for it
My 3rd O/a would be acquire Austen Brassard from Belleville,I dont see his NHL team signing him and he would be a good linemate with Rychel imo,price should not be terribly expensive

Old
03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
SimonKnightsman

All this trade talk the day after the season is over ?

Quite a few of those wish-listers are going to be busy with playoffs for a while though.

I doubt you can even trade right now or until June window opens. And the Spits cannot even discuss this stuff in media rabble or it's called tampering. And we all know they don't wanna see that identa call ringing with OHL on the phone screen.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post

Quite a few of those wish-listers are going to be busy with playoffs for a while though.

I doubt you can even trade right now or until June window opens. And the Spits cannot even discuss this stuff in media rabble or it's called tampering. And we all know they don't wanna see that identa call ringing with OHL on the phone screen.
Well for you and your London Knights its the 2012-2013 playoffs But to me and to Warren Rychel and the Spitfires id say the 2013-2014 season preperations has already started, i mean for warren, Bob and the Scouts its still a busy time setting up for next year.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:

Don't worry, you'll be joining us talking about the off-season/next season soon enough.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
OHLTG

Quote:

You thought we were going to sit idle and not say anything until the Memorial Cup was over?

As for playoff predictions:

West:

London over Saginaw in 6 - Saginaw is good and should make it a series, but London's experience takes over. Their goaltending makes me wonder a bit, but not enough for Saginaw to overtake them.

Plymouth in 5 over Sarnia - Anderson and his high-powered offence take a game in Sarnia, but the Whalers run over them at CSA.

OS in 5 over SSM - When the Attack want to dominate, they do. I can't see the Hounds doing a ton against them, at least over seven games.

Kitchener in 7 over Guelph - Why? Just because...

East:

Belleville over Mississauga in 5 - Steelheads steal one in Missy.

Barrie over Kingston in 4 - I don't see Kingston doing much.

Oshawa over Niagara in 7 - While I hope DJ does well, I think the Niagara boys hold their own.

Brampton over Sudbury in 7 - Mainly because I want to go to Brampton for round 2.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:44 PM
big papa

Ben Johnson facing Sexual Assault Charges

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03...own-nightclub/

Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
OHLTG

Whoa...

I'm really curious to what happens with this.

First question to come to mind (and my apologies if this offends anyone)...16 YEAR OLD in the bar???

Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Ben Johnson facing Sexual Assault Charges

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03...own-nightclub/
I guess whoever was hoping for a quiet offseason will be disappointed. This stuff is disgraceful behaviour and the Spits need to do something about this garbage.

Closed Thread