Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
PokeCheck101

vCash: 500
Moving on.....

WC gets a BIG surprise. Interesting. I agree with posters in that the lay over was long. However I've also been told there was some bench management issues too. As in not line matching appropriately at key intervals during the series. Now they slide in through the back door to westerns. Either way it would not matter I don't see WC having success at westerns. Wintoneak was touted as really "rolling" the lines throughout the year. Seems to have bit him now. He was getting AP's into the action as well against top line of NB... (?). Sounds like perhaps the mentality is they were going to the dance anyway so let's get everyone in.

SV has some momentum but are lacking scoring. Lacking scoring will not bode well for success in playoffs. However, they seem to play the tough teams well.

Really shaping up as an interesting post season.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
I agree no soup. Completely un-necessary. Again I ask, who actually came up with this idea? Gotta be a puppetmaster or two who came up with idea.
Quote:
One final note on the pee wee all star game... I looked at the rosters and conveniently there are five skaters per team on the rosters. Nice and balanced so everyone is happy.
Quote:
Four, Five, Six teams.... Get it done already. Base it on the number of kids playing bantam or anticipated to move up to bantam.

You could have a city of 500, 000 with 1 % playing hockey. It's the percent playing hockey. That must determine participation at the elite level. Yep.

Saskatoon had one pee wee AA team with one bloody win the entire regular season. Granted they had some success post season. Goal differential of MINUS 75. Now this is one of two things: a) Lack of skilled players, b) Inadequate coaching or both. It wasn`t due to a lack of skill. Bantam was much tighter. But I will tell you, 6 teams at SBAAHL will not equal success. Agreed. I've heard they are moving ahead with five as agreed by SBAAHL, but I'm not 100% sure. Five in my opinion will not spell great success but we'll see. Agreed. Good coaching goes a long way.

Completely turning gears now... Pee wee GSHL all star game? This was news to me... Here's a clipping from the GSHL site:

"All players selected to the all star teams were selected by the coaches from their respective divisions!"

I see the nod was given to pretty much every son of a coach. Rightly or wrongly. Folks, you don't even keep recorded stats in pee wee in your league. An all star game? Poor timing too. What is the purpose of the all star game (GSHL backers) at pee wee? Please enlighten me? Common answer will be it is a reward. Is the reward not simply playing elite AA at that level? Who came up with the all star game idea at pee wee? Was it one parent/coach/executive member? Next step, GSHL atom draft to pee wee GSHL. Saskatoon, please relax a bit already.
From what I heard, the idea was first promoted by a bantam coach. My guess, and that`s all it is - a guess - is that they decided to make a day of it and add a pee wee game. I will agree that the timing was atrocious. That said, I`m not sure where the degree of criticism is coming from. The games themselves, despite the goofy format and lack of preparation time, were fairly enjoyable. The kids played fairly hard and seemed to have fun. Parents/grandparents seemed to have fun (without taking it too seriously). For those who were evaluating for next year, it was actually quite informative. Again, other than the terrible timing, I`d say `no harm, no foul`.

As for the selection process, I can see where somebody would be a little skeptical. I can say, however, that the bantam and pee wee teams I would have picked would only have been marginally different (1 bantam player and perhaps 3 pee wee players in total) from the ones that stepped on the ice.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:36 AM
SaskRinkRat

Seems like if the rumors about SBAAHL denying SMHA's propasal are true, SHA needs to step in and force the issue. Otherwise it's pretty clear that the SBAAHL/SHA position is "Saskatoon, we want you in our league, but only if we can guarantee that you'll never ever win".

Old
03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
Seems like if the rumors about SBAAHL denying SMHA's propasal are true, SHA needs to step in and force the issue. Otherwise it's pretty clear that the SBAAHL/SHA position is "Saskatoon, we want you in our league, but only if we can guarantee that you'll never ever win".
And here's the reason we all love Saskatoon, you guys are the hub of hockey in Saskatchewan, its all about yourselves. 2 years ago you guys never joined because you were too interested in "development", and it has now changed to being able to compete? Really guys figure it out on your end so you don't sound so hypocritical! You first wanted in with six, then four a short 2 years later? Why would that be? Would it have been from the beating the city teams took at the provincal run tournaments? Because when talking with friends whose kids played on those teams they actually did'nt seem to dissapointed with the results, in fact at times were happy with the way things were being run. Coming in with five teams is bad......and how??? Maybe you can enlighten us on that question?

Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 AM
nah68

And for those people in Saskatoon my previous posts are directed at rink rat.....I actually hope Saskatoon comes in the league, but come in for the right reasons, we do want you!

Old
03-17-2013, 12:03 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
I want Saskatoon in and I hope that they have success. Get in for the right reasons, ensure you are honest with yourselves, make sound decisions and recruit and retain quality coaches. You'll be fine. Folks you will really enjoy SBAAHL and your kids definitely will.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:34 PM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
And here's the reason we all love Saskatoon, you guys are the hub of hockey in Saskatchewan, its all about yourselves. 2 years ago you guys never joined because you were too interested in "development", and it has now changed to being able to compete? Really guys figure it out on your end so you don't sound so hypocritical! You first wanted in with six, then four a short 2 years later? Why would that be? Would it have been from the beating the city teams took at the provincal run tournaments? Because when talking with friends whose kids played on those teams they actually did'nt seem to dissapointed with the results, in fact at times were happy with the way things were being run. Coming in with five teams is bad......and how??? Maybe you can enlighten us on that question?
This post is a little bit difficult to respond to because it contains a lot of revisionist history. Two years ago Saskatoon didn't join because of the travel, not because of the development issue. There were people concerned about what a reduction in teams would do to development, but the reason Saskatoon didn't join was because thr general sentiment was that they could have the same success with development without the travel, so why travel?

Secondly,I don't ever recall Saskatoon wanting to join the SBAAHL with six teams. The decision was about keeping six teams and playing in Saskatoon, or reducing the number of teams so that the city could compete in SBAAHL.

When you pad your comments with so many outright fabrications, it's hard to believe you're interested in an honest discussion here, but I will try.

It seems like the most preferred solution for everyone would be one where Saskatoon joins the SBAAHL and is able to compete. Note that I've used the word compete - not dominate. If you look at the SBAAHL south division, you see 3 Regina teams - one at the top of the standings, and two in the middle of the pack. When you factor in that Regina is on a strong year, that seems like a reasonably competitive (not dominant) outcome for the city as a whole. This is the sort of showing that Saskatoon should be able to expect if it joins the SBAAHL,allowing for cyclical ups and downs over time.

Does anyone really disagree with what I've said so far? If not, then all that's left is to sort out how to accompish that. Since we have the Regina example to build on, I don't see how forcing Saskatoon to join with 5 or 6 teams is anything more than SBAAHL wanting 5 or 6 more punching bags for it's rotating 3 or 4 powerhouse teams, year in and year out.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
nah68

Quote:
How do expect people to reply to this? Basically from what I see here is that you think SHA should mandate four teams into the league. Please do this on Monday, phone SHA and asked what the application was made for....fact...6 teams for Saskatoon in SBAAHL and accepted by SHA. Ive asked before on this forum to defend your stand on why 7 teams from the 2 biggest and growing centers in the province, and I get a answer as to why china hasn't won a gold medal in hockey....but no facts. So I will take a stab a why I think the SBAAHL thinks Saskatoon should come with 5. "and this is my personal opinion". If Saskatoon would be in the league with 5 teams this year were do you think they would stand? First of WC wouldn't have been first cause pilon would have stayed, along with elder and ramsay. With those 3 staying and 5 teams I think Saskatoon would have competed very well. Possibly 1 team in top 2, and the rest within top 7 for sure. Now if they would have been in with 4, I totally believe they would have had 4 out of the top 6, and possibly a first place finish by one team. So thats why the question about why 4 instead of 5.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

WEHP is reporting today that GSHL is entering SBAAHL next year with 4 teams...

Old
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
PokeCheck101

Four or five...... Either way, sounds good to me. Don't get too quick to rank any teams yet guys. There will be some growing pains for city folks. Practices during week and games on weekend + travel. Looking forward to the added parody in the north.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
PokeCheck101

Gshl bantam stats

Someone close to GSHL scene (perhaps dickiedunn) please provide accurate stats for your bantam division? Like who are top 30 leading scores? Who are your top 5 goalies with save% and gaa please. I've searched around and they appear to be non existent. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Superbowlfishca

Quote:
Four or five...... Either way, sounds good to me. Don't get too quick to rank any teams yet guys. There will be some growing pains for city folks. Practices during week and games on weekend + travel. Looking forward to the added parody in the north.
I agree. SHA knows the actual participation numbers per capita in all regions and number of teams should be based on these numbers.
Regina at three teams is perfect. They were very competitive this year in with a strong 1998 born age group . Next year they will not be quite as good and then they are strong in the 2000 age group.

If Saskatoon come in with 4 and dominate over 3-5 years then why can SHA not tweek them up to 5 teams especially if their overall participation numbers increase same goes for Regina.

I would far sooner see the teams be perennially stronger than weaker because overall strength leads to better overall development in my opinion.

Let's look at the SBAAHL season and playoffs this year. Anybody on any given night can and did win. In consolation playoffs the 8th seed took out the 1st seed and the 7th seed took out the 2nd seed. In the North the 3rd and fourth seeds are in the final. The south semifinals and finals are ultra competitive.

Some minor tweeks could make it better but in the big picture of things this league caused teams like MJ and Humbolt to step up their play and improve much like every team in the whole league and if you look at playoff results this happend bigtime.

Welcome Saskatoon no matter the number of teams. You will not be DISAPOINTED>

Old
03-18-2013, 03:47 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

Quote:
Someone close to GSHL scene (perhaps dickiedunn) please provide accurate stats for your bantam division? Like who are top 30 leading scores? Who are your top 5 goalies with save% and gaa please. I've searched around and they appear to be non existent. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places.
Also interested in this, dickie -- who are the top 99s out of Stoon (F, D, G)?

Old
03-18-2013, 09:48 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanJofaDaoust View Post
Also interested in this, dickie -- who are the top 99s out of Stoon (F, D, G)?
I don't have any stats, but if I get a hold of some, I'll try to pass them along. It's a strong 99 class(best since 96), so I'll give you my top 5 among forwards and defensemen.

Forwards:
1) Dawson Holt - Had a slow start to the year as he missed the first month and a half to injury. It took him awhile to integrate himself into the Generals, but by the time of the city finals I would give him the nod as their top forward (in what was the best group of forwards in the league). Strong skater, excellent on-ice vision with polished playmaking skills, and possesses a lethal wrist shot. Has good size and plays a reasonably physical game.

2) Jake Leschyshyn - Top 99 forward in the league until supplanted by Holt late in the season. Lightning fast and dynamic one-on-one. Not as big as Holt, he still plays physical and is not afraid to go into the hard areas. If he stays in Saskatoon (some rumors of Notre Dame) it should be an interesting battle between him and Holt next year.

3) Brody Vogel - The most physical forward in his class. Dominant in the cycle and a bruising hitter. With the right playmaker he should score a bushel of goals as he possesses a quick, hard shot.

4) Dino Antoniadis - Very good two-way player. Excellent skater with an high-level hockey IQ. Doesn't have the natural scoring touch of the above three, but that was improving by season's end.

5) Rylan Nivon - Another smart player. Strong on the puck and very creative offensively. Should be a top playmaker.

Defense:
1) Ty Prefontaine - Best 99 defensemen in the league by a wide margin. Very good size, but not overly physical. He does use his size, along with excellent body positioning and a a quick stick, to dominate along the boards. Very calm with the puck. Reminds me of Ryan Pilon in his defensive play in that he makes everything look easy. If he develops a better shot and is a bit more aggressive with the puck, I could see potentially significant offensive upside.

2) Ashton Heidt - Smooth, very quick skater. Solid passing skills and has the ability to fill a pmd role. Should rack up a lot of pp points.

3) Jared Binsfield - Big kid. Very physical in a way that can get the other team off its game. Still needs to refine his game as it is a bit raw.

4) Parker Gavlas - A bit undersized, but doesn't back down. Very good skater and excellent on one-on-ones. Very comfortable with the puck on his stick.

5) Antonio Dipaolo - Smart player with not a lot of flash. Decent size. Makes good hockey decisions. Plays a calm game.

Only two 99 goalies played AA this year.
1) Tye Morin - A bit of an up and down season that ended on a high note in that his last 3 weeks or so were outstanding. Very athletic in net and seems to possess good technique.

2 Mathew Henry - Solid year on the weakest team in the league. Giving the nod to Morin because his ceiling looks a little higher but he's a battler (inside and outside the crease).

Old
03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

Looking forward to seeing these players next year in SBAAHL. Thanks for the write-up dickie!

Old
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing these players next year in SBAAHL. Thanks for the write-up dickie!
Should be a good year. Any names to watch for from your end?

Old
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

I'm not all that familiar with names of the 99s (there simply aren't that many on the 3 teams). It will be a lean year for talent...

Old
03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Hockeynoitall

Quote:
I agree no soup. Completely un-necessary. Again I ask, who actually came up with this idea? Gotta be a puppetmaster or two who came up with idea.
Quote:
Interesting and disappointing if true. We've competed fairly with 3 teams in Regina. 4 teams seems like the right number in Stoon.
Saskatoon should come in next year with five teams. Run it for a couple years at this amount and then reevaluate it. But at the end of the day they need to join the league. The league will be more competive with them in it. Yes Regina has done well this year with just 3 teams. How the Pat Blues accumulated alot of the top end 98's on one team? Well that is another story. Saskatoon should join the league but there needs to be a commitment by them to the league for future years. It is a different ball game now if they join with travelling and I hope the parents involved are ready to step up to the plate with that.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:58 AM
nah68

Well looks like SV made it out of the north, man was I out on that! When we played them games were close, but they didn't have the finish needed to win. Looks like they found what it takes up front, and the back end held up there play also. Congrats to them and good luck vs regina or balgonie.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Superbowlfishca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
Well looks like SV made it out of the north, man was I out on that! When we played them games were close, but they didn't have the finish needed to win. Looks like they found what it takes up front, and the back end held up there play also. Congrats to them and good luck vs regina or balgonie.
Boy its been an interesting playoff in the SBAAHL. Its the 3rd Seed out of the North vs 3rd Seed out of the South as Prairie Storm beat the Blues. I dont think anybody could have predicted this.
I see SV as the underdog here but it should be an interesting series. If anybody out there will be watching this series it would be nice to get some commentary.

Good luck to both teams.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Superbowlfishca

That Regina Blue team were very good. So Prairie Storm must have really stepped up their game to beat them which is what it is all about. That area has been doing a great job of developing players. Some insight as to "WHY" would be interesting.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
nosoup

SV may not be the underdog some are making them out to be.
They play in the north which is the tougher division, and only finished with one fewer point.

Avg points in north 31
Avg points in south 25 (I gave ND 13 points instead of 15 because they played 5 more games)

They have played the toughest teams very well ( WC and NE) Beat NE out of the playoffs, which could be argued was the best team in the province.

Only lost 1 game in regulation since Jan 20. Going 11 wins 1 loss and 1 overtime loss in that stretch.

All in all I think it will be a great series!

Last edited by nosoup: 03-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Superbowlfishca

PS take game one in SBAAHL final. 99 Born Milligan and Tyson/Tanner Manz steal the show. Never saw the game but they were in on first three goals in 4-1 win.

Melville wins the consolation!! Congrats to them. This team finished off the year strong but I expected them to be leage final contenders.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
nosoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbowlfishca View Post
PS take game one in SBAAHL final. 99 Born Milligan and Tyson/Tanner Manz steal the show. Never saw the game but they were in on first three goals in 4-1 win.

Melville wins the consolation!! Congrats to them. This team finished off the year strong but I expected them to be leage final contenders.
I heard it was a good close game until a blown (missed) icing call led to PS 3rd goal mid way through the third, 4th goal went in before SV had time to regroup.

PP were 8-4 according to the box score plus the blown icing, I can see why SV would be frustrated.

Hopefully they can regroup and extend it to a third game.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
lefthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
I heard it was a good close game until a blown (missed) icing call led to PS 3rd goal mid way through the third, 4th goal went in before SV had time to regroup.

PP were 8-4 according to the box score plus the blown icing, I can see why SV would be frustrated.

Hopefully they can regroup and extend it to a third game.
BLOWN CALL come on are you for real ? penalties are no excuse - do the crime do the time ! Sorry but game plan for PS worked and they came out on top because they outworked the other team , not because of the ref

Closed Thread