HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
  #26
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
BAM! Thats the truth. Gaborik had a good game against the Pens too.

I feel bad for both of them though. I'm sure they want to play good and contrary to popular opinion I don't think this team has quit on Torts. I think they like him, but maybe its the system, maybe the slumping players, most likely a combo of both at the same time.
It's also the fact that Hank has not outplayed the other team's goalie in a lot of games, which he did so often last year.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
  #27
16 To Stanley*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Despite a common criticism against him, I have noticed Gabby having good games in which he did not score or register points a la vs. Ottawa.

Richards, on the other hand, has looked disastrous in games he has scored in.
He's had quite a few games where he gets a lot of significant chances.

Brad looks slow and just not with it this year. Every shot he takes is either a gomez floater or right into the pads of a player in front of him (sans that slap-shot goal he had a week back).

Also, for what it's worth, when Gaborik's not scoring, he's never been very noticeable.

16 To Stanley* is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:01 PM
  #28
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 50
I honestly don't know which guy I hate more. Richards or Gabby.

Oak is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
  #29
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 50
I actually feel bad for Nash in all of this. You know he thought he was coming to a contender team after what the Rangers did last year, and you can see he is trying. I hope something works out.

Oak is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
  #30
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,660
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I honestly don't know which guy I hate more. Richards or Gabby.
Too strong. Disappoint for me.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
  #31
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!
 
MrAlmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: R.I.P.
Country: United States
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
It's also the fact that Hank has not outplayed the other team's goalie in a lot of games, which he did so often last year.
Too true. We have been out-goalied a few times now this season which we obviously cannot afford.

On a side note to that, have you watched any of his post games? He has called out the team more than Torts has. He seems pretty pissed.

MrAlmost is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
  #32
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I actually feel bad for Nash in all of this. You know he thought he was coming to a contender team after what the Rangers did last year, and you can see he is trying. I hope something works out.
Then again, Columbus was a disaster last year WITH Nash. Then they lose Nash, don't pick up a player any where near Nash's ability....and this year, after 29 games they're 11-12-6, one game under .500.

The Blue Jackets don't seem to miss the big lug very much...

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
  #33
Callafan24
Registered User
 
Callafan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I actually feel bad for Nash in all of this. You know he thought he was coming to a contender team after what the Rangers did last year, and you can see he is trying. I hope something works out.
I respectfully disagree. The thing about Rick Nash is that (because of his career in Columbus) he is heralded as a low maintenance superstar. Even with our offensive struggles this season, I'm sure this is the best team he's ever played on in the NHL, and he's been our most consistent offensive threat all season.

As for MG10, we have absolutely no choice but to play him on RW from here on out. I understand that Torts shouldn't have to adjust his lineup for Gaborik's poor play, but we need him in his natural position to A) put him in a better position to succeed, and B) give him some games to raise his value should we decide to move him at the deadline. Add to that the fact that Rick Nash is every bit as comfortable on the left side and we're looking at this as our top-6 until the deadline.

Nash Stepan Gaborik
Hagelin Richards Callahan

Im rooting for the guy, as we've seen some great hockey from him over the past three years, but if Gabby can't find open space with Nash on the opposite side, and our best center in between the two of them, we have to explore trade options to shore up our lack of toughness and 2nd/3rd line/RHD depth.

Callafan24 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:26 PM
  #34
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Did not state that whatsoever. You said we should trade Richards because he will have only one season left on his contract....that is the case for Gaborik, not Richards.

There is no way on earth anyone trades for the Richards contract, which has SEVEN years remaining after this year, not one. Richards is a candidate for a buyout, but certainly not a trade.
Plus Richards has a No-Movement Clause I believe in every year of his contract. So even if he was playing better and the Rangers wanted to trade him and there was a suitor, he would have to consent to it and wavie his clause. Of course none of this is happening....

Unless Richards somehow surprises everyone and has a monster turn-around next season, Rangers should buy him out NEXT off-season.... I really don't care about the money aspect of it because it's Dolan's piggy bank that takes the hit and lord knows he's got plenty of it.... After this there will be no more mulligans for Sather.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
  #35
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
I dont understand the folks saying Gaborik and Richards dont have heart.

There are MUCH better examples of players lacking heart out there.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:09 PM
  #36
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
When the Tortorella era is eventually over, something to look back on will be his ****** treatment of players.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
  #37
gmerger37
Registered User
 
gmerger37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I honestly don't know which guy I hate more. Richards or Gabby.
Yeah I don't know what they have been doing the past 2 months because it sure isnt playing "the right way".

gmerger37 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
  #38
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Anyone who thinks Gaborik has more heart than Richards is delusional. Richards skates much harder than Gaborik out there, he backchecks, and is at least looking like he cares. You can see the frustration in Brad's face out there, even when the ref throws him out of the faceoff circle. Gaborik looks like he's out for a sunday morning skate.

zuckera1 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
  #39
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,660
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
Anyone who thinks Gaborik has more heart than Richards is delusional. Richards skates much harder than Gaborik out there, he backchecks, and is at least looking like he cares. You can see the frustration in Brad's face out there, even when the ref throws him out of the faceoff circle. Gaborik looks like he's out for a sunday morning skate.
Personally, I think questioning the heart of either player is silly but for all the "frustration" Brad displays, he still looks worse than Gaborik.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
  #40
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Personally, I think questioning the heart of either player is silly but for all the "frustration" Brad displays, he still looks worse than Gaborik.
I didn't start questioning their heart, I'm just saying Richie has more than Gab. Richards looked good tonight, he set up a few plays and played well in the defensive zone. It's a good sign

zuckera1 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
  #41
ck20
Registered User
 
ck20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
See, I don't have an agenda. I don't try to make things or players look better or worse than they are. I call them as I see them.

My greater point with my previous post was that, if we're arguing Gaborik has lost all his speed, then we're arguing that he lost it all int he last 8 weeks.
Could have lost it between last season and this one. It's been far longer than 8 weeks. With no camp and what was undoubtedly limited conditioning due to his surgery. One burst of speed all season doesn't mean he can still turn it on. If he was actually trying to use his speed even every other or every third game and his explosive speed was noticeable, I think it'd be different. But he's playing like he wants out of here. How many other times so far have you said "Wow, Gaborik sure is fast" outside of that Boston game? Maybe 3 or 4 shifts all season? Just because he was known for speed doesn't mean he's going to keep that speed forever. By that logic, I could argue that his hip injuries could be flaring up since his lower body has been known to be fragile and that's why he hasn't been doing much this season.

What I don't understand is: How haven't these (almost) 30 games served as a time to shake off the rust for players? How come someone who is renowned for his speed like Gaborik hasn't been able to use it on anything even close to a consistent basis?

ck20 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:54 AM
  #42
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride
 
NY Lito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Could have lost it between last season and this one. It's been far longer than 8 weeks. With no camp and what was undoubtedly limited conditioning due to his surgery. One burst of speed all season doesn't mean he can still turn it on. If he was actually trying to use his speed even every other or every third game and his explosive speed was noticeable, I think it'd be different. But he's playing like he wants out of here. How many other times so far have you said "Wow, Gaborik sure is fast" outside of that Boston game? Maybe 3 or 4 shifts all season? Just because he was known for speed doesn't mean he's going to keep that speed forever. By that logic, I could argue that his hip injuries could be flaring up since his lower body has been known to be fragile and that's why he hasn't been doing much this season.

What I don't understand is: How haven't these (almost) 30 games served as a time to shake off the rust for players? How come someone who is renowned for his speed like Gaborik hasn't been able to use it on anything even close to a consistent basis?
Because he's been playing on the LW. Switch him back to RW and he'll be leaving defenders in the dust, scoring bags of goals.


NY Lito is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:23 AM
  #43
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
I'm convinced that a vast majority of you never really watched Gaborik on a shift by shift basis over his tenure here.

The only difference between his play the past few games and the past few years is the stat sheet.

mullichicken25 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 06:22 AM
  #44
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I'm convinced that a vast majority of you never really watched Gaborik on a shift by shift basis over his tenure here.

The only difference between his play the past few games and the past few years is the stat sheet.
Agreed. He isn't a noticeable player. The more he tries to be the more it detracts from him finding those spots no one knows about and tapping it in.

ChrisKreider20 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 07:06 AM
  #45
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
“Lines always change here, [there’s] not a whole lot of time to acclimate,” said Gaborik, who had four shots on goal, but has only scored one in the past 15 games. “Torts is the coach, he changes lines quite a bit. I’m used to it, I’m not complaining. Hopefully all the other lines stay together [because] that means we’re doing well.”
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...aiC4ghu9OvCt3I

They're both at fault. Gaborik has proven he's low maintenance yet inconsistent, but Torts doesnt realize that demoting him, benching him and calling him out in the press doesnt help the situation.

Stick with one line and ride out. Chemistry is rarely developed in one period.

GWOW is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
  #46
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...aiC4ghu9OvCt3I

They're both at fault. Gaborik has proven he's low maintenance yet inconsistent, but Torts doesnt realize that demoting him, benching him and calling him out in the press doesnt help the situation.

Stick with one line and ride out. Chemistry is rarely developed in one period.
However, one could certainly argue that a coach doesn't have the luxury of time in this shortened season.

mullichicken25 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
  #47
zuckera1
#35
 
zuckera1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
As much as I've criticized Gaborik, I have a strange feeling he puts in a big goal tonight. Hopefully it happens

zuckera1 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  #48
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
However, one could certainly argue that a coach doesn't have the luxury of time in this shortened season.
You can also argue that demotion and line flip flops this frequently Won't help anything.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
  #49
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Then again, Columbus was a disaster last year WITH Nash. Then they lose Nash, don't pick up a player any where near Nash's ability....and this year, after 29 games they're 11-12-6, one game under .500.

The Blue Jackets don't seem to miss the big lug very much...
The Blue Jackets were 18-21-2 under Todd Richards last year. 11-12-6 represents a very marginal improvement (48% of possible points vs 46%), although the 6-0-4 stretch is definitely impressive. There's a lot going on there. Something that can't be discounted is the change in organizational culture (usually vastly underrated) represented by JD and Jarko. Their D has continued it's development. Finally, for the first time since they made the playoffs in 2009, their starting goaltender's GAA is under 3 (partially system, partially personnel).

In other words, their improvement has nothing to do with Nash being on the team or not. They're dead last in the NHL in scoring. The CBJ miss him at least a little.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:05 PM
  #50
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I'm convinced that a vast majority of you never really watched Gaborik on a shift by shift basis over his tenure here.

The only difference between his play the past few games and the past few years is the stat sheet.

Bingo. We have a winner.

Heyoooo* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.