HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 500
What's the latest on his play? RS, I haven't heard from you in a while, have you been paying much attention? I'd like to hear how he's been playing since Christmas.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekento19 View Post
What's the latest on his play? RS, I haven't heard from you in a while, have you been paying much attention? I'd like to hear how he's been playing since Christmas.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=733

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
What? You're way off base.

Siemens has been tasked with shutting down the opposition game in and game out for the past 2 seasons. Dietz is having a great year, but Thrower is having a very disappointing season.

The Blades are on an 8-game winning streak and both Dietz and Siemens are a huge reason why. They've been moved on to the same pairing for basically the first time in 3 seasons and have been great together. It allows Dietz to roam a bit more and Siemens continues to shut players down.

The other night the Blades played Prince Albert and Siemens went head to head with Mark McNeill all night. McNeill was invisible, thanks to Duncan.

As for the PP situation, Duncan was never considered to be an offensive defenceman. In his draft year he saw limited PP time and also saw limited PP time last season. This year, his PP numbers are even further down, but that's just because he doesn't fit the role. Not every player can be good in every area. He's a shutdown D. A hell of a good one at that. He had great numbers in his draft year mainly because of all the secondary assists he got from playing on a super high octane team while on a pairing with the league's best offensive defender at the time in Stefan Elliott. Not many people ever expected those types of numbers to continue from him.

I've said it a bit on here recently but Duncan has been absolutely fantastic since about mid-November. I don't think you could say he's had a "bad game" since that time. He's really just stayed focused on playing a simple game and has been very impressive.

And if I had to compare Duncan to anyone, it would probably be Barret Jackman but a way better skater. He's big, he's mean, he's got leadership qualities and his main role is being an ******* on the ice and shutting down other teams top players.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...200779&page=30

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
El_Loco_Avs

YES CALL HIM UP ALREADY

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Quote:
Paying attention? I haven't missed any of his games the last two seasons. Haha.

Things have been good for him, although last night was one of his worst games in 3 months. I've been posting about him regularly in the prospect thread, as the link posted above already shows.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Funny in one of his worst games he scores a goal and is still a +2.

Quote:

Maybe head to the Colorado Avalanche prospect thread, the last pages have been about Siemens.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:13 PM
kento19
@kento19

Lol sorry guys, i never even look at the sticky threads. You would think I would always check them first but I often forget they even exist.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Duncan Siemens

I have not heard anything about him lately on our boards. How is he doing in Saskatoon? His scouting profile says he is a defenseman that can play any situation and is very physical. He is projected to be a top liner which would be excellent for this team right now. He is very young still so I don't see him cracking the line up any time soon. How has his development been? In California it is very difficult to follow the CHL, so I'm curious to see how he's progressing and if he can be that top-2 Dman he is projected to be.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
henchman24
If and if...

If you go through the various prospect threads you will see a good amount of discussion on him. RS sees him all the time and has very good insight on him.

IMO upside is a top pairing shut-down guy who can chip in 15-20 points in the NHL. Likely he will be a top 4 shutdown guy who is a 15 point guy. He is a damn good skater so he will improve that area of the defense drastically when he finally comes up.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

This tweet is a month old, but it was good news to hear!

Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove
#Avs prospect Duncan Siemens was sitting at -9 on Nov. 27th. He's now +26, meaning he's been +35 over his past 35 games for Saskatoon.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:01 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Go through the last prospects thread, half of the thread discusses Siemens.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

i agree, a physical shut down defense guy. he won't score many points but his defensive play will make that moot.
maturation both physically and mentally is my worry with him.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Go through the last prospects thread, half of the thread discusses Siemens.
I'll start reading now I haven't been very active on HF for some time.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

IMO he will be the solution to the Top pairing LHD issue we currently have.

Had a very good year for the Blades although it started off poorly. I think he'll end up in the AHL to start next season, but 15-20 games and he'll be up with the big boys.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Hopeing he turns out to be Willie Mitchell type. Think the Scott Stevens expectations might be off.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Hopeing he turns out to be Willie Mitchell type. Think the Scott Stevens expectations might be off.
That would be great!

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Probably came from the NHL article about him modeling his game after Stevens. They seemed very high on him while THN pegged him outside their top prospects. Even the supposed scouts they poled wouldn't have drafted him in the first round. So a lot of varying opinions on him. Safe bet he's a top 4. With Pracey's track record he probably turns into something better.

Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:27 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
Has had a fantastic season. He'll get a long look by Avs management at camp next fall.

I don't necessarily agree that he's the key cog on our left hand side of our current D-core...just because I would rather have a two-way guy there to play with EJ. For EJ, I think he needs to just round out his game as a pure shutdown guy. I've given up on his offense and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

But yeah, read in the prospects thread about Siemens. I have several dozen posts about him in there over the last few months as I've seen every one of his games over the last 2+ years.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

i think EJ with a shut down partner is more dangerous on offense as he can take more risks.
i don't see him suddenly becoming Ray Borque or anything like that.
i honestly don't care if the top 2 guys aren't big on offense. i want them to be able to be physical and clamp down on the opposing team. we have enough skill at C and with Lando to make them pay.
now Barrie and Elliot can make up for certain things on the power play that EJ and Siemens if he pans out can't.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Didn't we use to have a "Duncan Siemens appreciation thread" thread.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:32 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Didn't we use to have a "Duncan Siemens appreciation thread" thread.
We quit appreciating when he lost the C

Old
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
We quit appreciating when he lost the C
he had a Sacco moment. that's all

Old
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
chewey
dmitri

It'll be interesting to see how he does. I knew the 'hype' train on him was big on this board. Either because everyone here are size queens and like the idea of having that 'big nasty stay at home D' or because they didn't know anyone else from the draft and knew Elliott played with him... for some reason people wanted that to continue to the NHL. Weird fantasy.

I haven't seen him play live at all and can't say I recall many games where I have seen him play. I always think its a bit of a waste of a pick if you're drafting a stay at home D at 11th overall but hey, the Avs scout have shut me up and served me a rack of crows multiple times.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:38 AM
henchman24
If and if...

I haven't watched the Blades for a month or so, but it looks like Siemens has been on fire the last 10 games (at very least). 1g 8a in that period. RS has he been playing on the PP, or is he just accumulating those points ES?

Old
03-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

vCash: 50
I firmly believe he could still be a 30 pt dman maybe not with succo but yeah he and ej will be partners and should be a great shutdown duo

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote