HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 10:00 AM
KadoCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Any other team in the league.. yeah, quality over quantity. Timmins? Quantity.
I'm a huge Timmins fan but scouting is an inexact science. I mean Timmins was there in '06 when three high picks went for nothing.

I would rather take my chances with a top 15 pick in a deep draft and still have two 2nd's and a 3rd.

If ISS is right about guys like Domi and Erne I'd take my chance but I doubt things will go down they way they laid it out. Like someone else said though its all speculation and MB and Timmins will make a move if they see a player fit to take.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Well, I think possible. I know he is generally rated around 10th overall. But I see some things. First he is not a big guy. Small guys have tendency to slide in draft. Teams like to combine size and skill that high in draft. Some GMs looking for size. Another thing is he plateaued this year. No gain from last year. I know many clubs are stats gurus and watching for it. That will go against him. Another is he is almost a year older than other draftees. Some scouts will say he is a year or 6 months ahead of other draftees
he's not in my top 15 but I'm reaching putting guys ahead of him to
push him into the 2nd.

He's not that small, and his stats are about the same (noticed his +/- has changed significantly, anybody who watches him a lot know why?).

I Do not watch enough of him to judge on his play fairly though, in comparison to guys i watch but every time I see him, he has impressive hands and finishing qualities, and always goes to the right places.

well thought out post though, really never considered the age thing which is huge in junior hockey, even at 6 months. If he has plateaued, as you put it, than I would stay away from him because it shows his hockey i.q. limitations...

Old
03-16-2013, 10:27 AM
That

Ryan Kujawinski is easily the most frustrating player in this draft in my opinion. He's just so damn hard to get a read on.

I've always been a huge fan of his, but just simply hasn't been playing well enough this season. He's got all the tools to be one of the best in the OHL already, but he just doesn't engage himself enough. When he's on, he dominates game, but I can count in single digits how many times that has happened this year...

Jeffrey mentioned that he's a ND, and I'd have to agree with that at this point. His team is nearing the end of a crazy playoff race, and Kujawinski is nowhere to be found. He's very close to being the third player on my ND alongside Anthony Duclair and Jimmy Lodge.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:40 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
he's not in my top 15 but I'm reaching putting guys ahead of him to
push him into the 2nd.

He's not that small, and his stats are about the same (noticed his +/- has changed significantly, anybody who watches him a lot know why?).

I Do not watch enough of him to judge on his play fairly though, in comparison to guys i watch but every time I see him, he has impressive hands and finishing qualities, and always goes to the right places.

well thought out post though, really never considered the age thing which is huge in junior hockey, even at 6 months. If he has plateaued, as you put it, than I would stay away from him because it shows his hockey i.q. limitations...
I think, a main reason players slide is size. Teravainen last year, Collberg, Gallagher, Giroux the list is endless. Some clubs value size more than others, if those clubs are selecting when small players are up.... I haven't watched Hunter neither just going by his stats. Then again all it takes is for one GM out of 30 to think different and he could go top 10.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I agree Pulock is basically a poor skating Mike Green.

I feel that there are going to be tons surprises this year just like last year with Forsberg falling to Washington.
I think he'll be a lot more like John Carlson type of player and he's a lot more of a cerebral player then someone who's going to wow you with flash and skills.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Ryan Kujawinski is easily the most frustrating player in this draft in my opinion. He's just so damn hard to get a read on.

I've always been a huge fan of his, but just simply hasn't been playing well enough this season. He's got all the tools to be one of the best in the OHL already, but he just doesn't engage himself enough. When he's on, he dominates game, but I can count in single digits how many times that has happened this year...

Jeffrey mentioned that he's a ND, and I'd have to agree with that at this point. His team is nearing the end of a crazy playoff race, and Kujawinski is nowhere to be found. He's very close to being the third player on my ND alongside Anthony Duclair and Jimmy Lodge.
You're right. He was hyped a lot when he left Sarnia last season and was successful on good ol Kingston. And then he fizzles out with low production. Then some OHL scouts say he's improving his all around game and the offence will come next year. They look at O'Reilly in Erie and see similarity.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:

You wouldn't draft Lodge? Can't say I agree there. He's one of the most skilled playmakers in the draft and has good size.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:30 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
You're right. He was hyped a lot when he left Sarnia last season and was successful on good ol Kingston. And then he fizzles out with low production. Then some OHL scouts say he's improving his all around game and the offence will come next year. They look at O'Reilly in Erie and see similarity.
It wouldn't surprise me to see his production explode next year. If Bennett, Watson and McKeown keep going on the upswing that they are currently on, I wouldn't be surpised to see the team suddenly become a power house as early as next season. Plus DiPerna and Beckstead have had flashes of brilliance this year. Ikonen, Povorozniouk, and Jenkins all have lots more to offer at the OHL level too. All the pieces are in place for a great next few years for Kingston, and Kujawinski has the ability to be the centre piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
You wouldn't draft Lodge? Can't say I agree there. He's one of the most skilled playmakers in the draft and has good size.
He's tall, but he's not big. He's listed at 165 lbs, so he's a super twig. He's got a lot of skill, there's no doubt about it. Great skater, good hands, and good vision, but he's extremely soft. He avoids the corners like a plague and doesn't go the front of the net ever. He avoids scrums and let his linemates, Locke and Ross, deal with it as he skates away.

Plus his success this season has come at wing. At the pro level, he's going to have to actually battle in the dirty areas if he's going to stay at that position.

Not my type of player at all.

Last edited by That: 03-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
He's tall, but he's not big. He's listed at 165 lbs, so he's a super twig. He's got a lot of skill, there's no doubt about it. Great skater, good hands, and good vision, but he's extremely soft. He avoids the corners like a plague and doesn't go the front of the net ever. He avoids scrums and let his linemates, Locke and Ross, deal with it as he skates away.

Plus his success this season has come at wing. At the pro level, he's going to have to actually battle in the dirty areas if he's going to stay at that position.

Not my type of player at all.
He looks like Bambi out there, I agree. 6'2 and 160lbs makes him insanely weak. I think its nothing that a little weight can't solve. To me Lodge is a late first rounder. I like his high skill level and I'll take the chance he can grow into his body. Besides he has the height anyways.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Lazar scored his 38th goal tonight. He's been above a point per game since January 11th.

I really hope he falls if we're picking in the 20's (which seems more and more like a lock).

Our picks as of now (It changed since Serge posted it in the PGT)

28th (Habs 1st)
37th (Cal 2nd)
41st (Nash 2nd)
59th (Habs 2nd)
70th (Dal 3rd)
89th (Habs 3rd)

Old
03-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
The Poirier show once again.....Shhhhhh Poirier...you're making WAY too much noise....

Old
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
yoteshot

I'm kinda pissed at the Sherbrooke Phoenix for finishing the year so strong. I was really hoping they'd finish 16th so I could see Drouin and MacKinnon live (which I couldn't do the only time they came to Sherbrooke this year). They are now assured of finishing 15th (Saint John will face Halifax), so they will face Baie-Comeau.

I guess I'm still interested in seeing Zykov, but it's really not the same excitement...

Old
03-16-2013, 10:17 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I believe they were trying to trade up to get Teravainen too this last draft. He was also trying to get Gainey to trade up in 2007 to make sure they got McDonagh.
I remember that in 2007 too, but no team would trade with us. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. L.A. took Hickey and McDonagh landed to us anyway.

Because of the type of draft it is, I do think there will be some movement and the Habs have the assets to move up if they want.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Lazar scored his 38th goal tonight. He's been above a point per game since January 11th.

I really hope he falls if we're picking in the 20's (which seems more and more like a lock).

28th (Habs 1st)
37th (Cal 2nd)
41st (Nash 2nd)
59th (Habs 2nd)
70th (Dal 3rd)
89th (Habs 3rd)
He's my pick. Love the guy.

Theres maybe 10 guy I'd clearly pick before him.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
William Carrier will have not played a game after December 14th as he's not playing today and his team did not make the playoffs.

He can't go to the U-18 either since he's too old.

If we can steal him in the 3rd...

Old
03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I remember that in 2007 too, but no team would trade with us. Sometimes it just doesn't happen. L.A. took Hickey and McDonagh landed to us anyway.

Because of the type of draft it is, I do think there will be some movement and the Habs have the assets to move up if they want.
I think the action will be in the 2nd since there will be a couple of quality players that could drop.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

LOL Rychel fought Chiarlitti because he "held" him along the boards for too long.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
I'm kinda pissed at the Sherbrooke Phoenix for finishing the year so strong. I was really hoping they'd finish 16th so I could see Drouin and MacKinnon live (which I couldn't do the only time they came to Sherbrooke this year). They are now assured of finishing 15th (Saint John will face Halifax), so they will face Baie-Comeau.

I guess I'm still interested in seeing Zykov, but it's really not the same excitement...
Hey, what tells you they won't beat Baie-Comeau? They gave them a lot of trouble, especially at Drakkar's home.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
William Carrier will have not played a game after December 14th as he's not playing today and his team did not make the playoffs.

He can't go to the U-18 either since he's too old.

If we can steal him in the 3rd...
He's a serious potential steal, Laplante too.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:49 PM
yoteshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Hey, what tells you they won't beat Baie-Comeau? They gave them a lot of trouble, especially at Drakkar's home.
That would actually be great, and with the way Sherbrooke ended the season, it's feasable. I would love to see Drouin and Mac in person, that's for sure!

Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:

28th (Habs 1st)
37th (Cal 2nd)
41st (Nash 2nd)
59th (Habs 2nd)
70th (Dal 3rd)
89th (Habs 3rd)
With those pick:

28th: Nic Petan
37th: Eric Cormier
41st:Émile Poirier
59th:Samuel Morin
70th:Micheal Downing
89th:Tyler Hill

Old
03-17-2013, 11:54 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
With those pick:

37th: Eric Cormier
Comrie?

Old
03-18-2013, 03:47 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Carrier would be beautiful in the 3rd round. I'd be fine with him in the 2nd round, as well.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Comrie?
Oups, yeah.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
HCH

Quote:

28th (Habs 1st)
37th (Cal 2nd)
41st (Nash 2nd)
59th (Habs 2nd)
70th (Dal 3rd)
89th (Habs 3rd)
I hope we fall to 30th in the first round

Closed Thread