HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner FOR Sean Couturier

Old
03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

vCash: 500
Jake Gardiner FOR Sean Couturier

attachment.png

Jake Gardiner (Defense)
22 Years Old July 4th 1990
6'02'' 185 Pounds
2008 NHL Draft 1st Round 17th Overall

ELC

2010-11 Toronto Marlies AHL 10 0 3 3 4
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 75 7 23 30
2011-12 Toronto Marlies AHL 4 0 2 2 2
2012-13 Toronto Marlies AHL 43 10 21 31
2012-13 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 12 0 4 4

Assets: Is a smart player with the puck. Skates well due to an effortless stride. Has offensive ability, likes to join the attack, and boasts all-round upside. Can quarterback a power play.

Flaws: Needs to fill out his relatively smallish 6-0 frame in order to withstand the rigors of the pro game. Must also become a little more assertive and aggressive, as well as keep his intensity level on high in defensive situations.

Career Potential: Mobile offensive defenseman with good upside.

Philadelphia-Flyers-Logo.gif

Sean Couturier (Center)
20 Years Old December 7th 1992
6'04'' 190 Pounds
2011 NHL Draft 1st round 8th Overall

ELC

2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 77 13 14 27
2012-13 Adirondack Phantoms AHL 31 10 18 28
2012-13 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 46 4 11 15

Assets: Has outstanding two-way instincts. Is capable of playing a shutdown role with aplomb. Also boasts very good offensive upside and a very projectable frame.

Flaws: Isn't the fastest skater, so he needs to work on that aspect of his game in order to maximize his two-way upside. Is also somewhat of a work-in-progress offensive player.

Career Potential: Talented two-way center with good upside.

Last edited by Platinum Seat Leafs: 04-29-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Gardiner wants out. His trade value just plummeted.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Oh my.... Jackman for Kessel.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Its been discussed a few times on here, most recently here.

Basically, some Flyers fans are amenable to something like Gardiner + a 2nd for Couturier, while others hate the idea because they do not believe Gardiner has a high enough upside.

Leafs fans seem happier with the swap, probably because the acquisition of Reilly has made Gardiner a bit less vital as a long-term piece.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Deja Vu

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Reminds me of the Schenn - JVR threads that kept happening.. and then the trade happened.

I really think this trade is inevitable

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Is this the new hf weekly proposal? Leafa fans do u think posting this enough will get it to actually happen (like the Schenn-JVR trade)

All joking aside I wouldnt do it 1 for 1. Id rather trade Coots for Rielly. Coots would be an easy second line center in Toronto by end of next year with his great defensive pedigree. Gardiner is awesome though too and hes getting the **** end of the stick in Toronto right now. I wouldnt be upset if this deal happened tomorrow, but Id definitely feel Couturier was sold short.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Reminds me of the Schenn - JVR threads that kept happening.. and then the trade happened.

I really think this trade is inevitable
Eh, maybe. Those threads were sparked by actual media reports that Toronto was looking at JVR. As far as I know, there's been nothing similar here. Add to that the Schenn-Schenn dynamic, JVR's on-going struggles and inconsistency (different from Couturier's sophomore slump), etc., and I think we are a ways away from that sort of level of inevitability.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Eh, maybe. Those threads were sparked by actual media reports that Toronto was looking at JVR. As far as I know, there's been nothing similar here. Add to that the Schenn-Schenn dynamic, JVR's on-going struggles and inconsistency (different from Couturier's sophomore slump), etc., and I think we are a ways away from that sort of level of inevitability.
On the other hand, you have to think something's gotta give at center with Philly. Giroux is too good to trade, Schenn and Couts are both too good for the 2nd line (down the road) and Laughton is in the pipeline...you already mentioned the Schenn/Schenn dynamic, there is a huge void on the Philly blue-line for a potential top pairing defender as there is in Toronto for a top 6 center. I'd think something based around Couts / Gardiner would work well for both teams...not to mention both sides dealing from a position of strength, and filling huge holes...I sure won't be shocked if this deal ever goes down.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
On the other hand, you have to think something's gotta give at center with Philly. Giroux is too good to trade, Schenn and Couts are both too good for the 2nd line (down the road) and Laughton is in the pipeline...you already mentioned the Schenn/Schenn dynamic, there is a huge void on the Philly blue-line for a potential top pairing defender as there is in Toronto for a top 6 center. I'd think something based around Couts / Gardiner would work well for both teams...not to mention both sides dealing from a position of strength, and filling huge holes...I sure won't be shocked if this deal ever goes down.
What about Coturier for Rielly instead?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
DJOpus

To VAN: Couturier + 1st (TOR) - I think it's pointless because the Leafs will make the playoffs but top 10 protected (becomes 2014 1st + 2nd)
To TOR: Schneider + 2nd (VAN)
To PHI: Gardiner + 3rd (VAN)

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Is this the new hf weekly proposal? Leafa fans do u think posting this enough will get it to actually happen (like the Schenn-JVR trade)

All joking aside I wouldnt do it 1 for 1. Id rather trade Coots for Rielly. Coots would be an easy second line center in Toronto by end of next year with his great defensive pedigree. Gardiner is awesome though too and hes getting the **** end of the stick in Toronto right now. I wouldnt be upset if this deal happened tomorrow, but Id definitely feel Couturier was sold short.
I'd say daily proposal.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
FlyingPhilly

No thanks. This idea is getting redundant too.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
oilersfan87

I doubt it, there were Philly fans who claimed they wouldn't trade Couturier for Yakupov a few months ago.

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:42 PM
GenericFan2*

Ahhhh its a toughy. I think I would do it though.

GenericFan2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan87 View Post
I doubt it, there were Philly fans who claimed they wouldn't trade Couturier for Yakupov a few months ago.
Nope, still wouldnt.

Old
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan87 View Post
1. That's a different issue. The Flyers have a clear need on the blue-line. They don't have that same need at RW.

2. There were plenty of Leafs fans who wouldn't trade Gardiner for Yakupov a few months ago either. Maybe Couturier and Gardiner are just worth more? ()

(Note the sarcasm emotion people. I'm not serious.)

Old
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
No thanks. This idea is getting redundant too.
Quite redundant. I think some people think if they post something enough times, it'll happen.

Just like Stastny to Toronto threads show up weekly.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
To VAN: Couturier + 1st (TOR) - I think it's pointless because the Leafs will make the playoffs but top 10 protected (becomes 2014 1st + 2nd)
To TOR: Schneider + 2nd (VAN)
To PHI: Gardiner + 3rd (VAN)
Toronto gives up a 1st + Gardiner and gets Schneider and a 2nd?

Vancouver gives up Schneider, a 2nd, and a 3rd and gets Couturier + a 1st?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Its been discussed a few times on here, most recently here.

Basically, some Flyers fans are amenable to something like Gardiner + a 2nd for Couturier, while others hate the idea because they do not believe Gardiner has a high enough upside.

Leafs fans seem happier with the swap, probably because the acquisition of Reilly has made Gardiner a bit less vital as a long-term piece.
Yes, in a nutshell you've summed it up pretty nicely.

I'm anti-trading Gardiner, and the only player I'd realistically trade him for is Couturier, and I'm fully aware Couts is having a sophomore slumpish season while Gardiner hasn't been given a fair shake and is being eased back into the lineup post-concussion, along with the Leafs D roster being absolutely stacked with one way contracts.

03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
matt1396

I wouldn't do it from a leafs perspective. Gardiner is a top 4 dman (don't come at me with the whole "he's in the AHL bs), Couts is a very good defensive center. As for his offensive game he is ok right now, but I think he projects to a top 6 C, not a top line C though, but that is all my opinion. Also Grabo is a pretty good defensive center so I don't think the leafs need a guy like couts. They need someone who is or projects to be a top line C in the NHL, not a 2nd line C which is what they have an excess of. Also to the flyers fans that say they don't want to trade couts for Yakupov that is moronic. What is the reasoning for it "he is a very good defensive C and I think he will become a top line C one day." Ok fine then what about Schenn and Giroux? They're both in the way and i don't think Couts will become better than either of those two, plus with Laughton in the pipeline that's 4 C's with good potential and one of them is already one of the best players in the league.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post

Imo the Flyers would have to add if they want Rielly, Couturier alone wouldn't do it. I'm not saying add tons but maybe a 2nd or a 3rd because Rielly looks like he'll reach his potential

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
ahthorne

Pass easily from Flyers perspective, not because I wouldn't want Gardiner but I wouldn't want to move Couturier. Why is Couturier in so many proposals?

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
DrHamburg

I think this is a bit different from the JVR for Schenn trade. Flyers need defense. Couts is their best defensive forward. I am not sure how much it helps the Flyers. That's the reason the Flyers fans are "overrating" Couts. If he is moved for a defender it has to help them more than having a shutdown center.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
TOGuy14

Rielly is off the table as far as I am concerned. He is our only truly untouchable prospect.

I don't mind adding a bit to Gardiner to get Couts.

In all reality if we got Couturier we would probably end up moving either Bozak or Grabo at the deadline as well, though I am hoping we could find someone to take Grabo (Calgary?) and we resign Bozak to a fair deal for our #2C

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote