HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Is Edmonton a Hockey or Football Town?

Old
03-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

vCash: 500
Hockey and its not very close. CFL is a pretty terrible league to be honest.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Rains

ummm your joking right??

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:30 AM
abootzky

I'm old enough to remember Terry Jones in the Edmonton Journal(!) referring to Edmonton as a "meat and potatoes sports town" in which Eskimos were the meat and the Oilers the potatoes. Of course this was at the height of the Eskies' 5-in-a-row Grey Cup dynasty ('78-82) and at the very dawn of the Oilers' glory days. Even an Eskimos first, Oilers second die-hard like me has to admit that, for the longest time, the Oil have been the meat and potatoes while the the Esks have been the gravy.

Last edited by abootzky: 03-18-2013 at 12:45 AM.
abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

CFL is pretty popular in Edmonton, although it's below the radar when compared to the Oilers and the NHL.

I live in Toronto, but grew up in Edmonton and there is a huge distinction in popularity of the CFL in both cities. The CFL is pretty relevant in the the Alberta Capital but it's completely an afterthough in Toronto.

Despite the fact that the Argos won the Grey Cup, the Argos get less coverage than the Raptors and Toronto FC in terms of media coverage.

I think people my age are more catered to the NFL product over the CFL and this doesn't apply to Torontonians, but football fans across Canada. The NFL is a 9 billion dollar juggernaut and find ways to attract fans from across the globe, something the CFL doesn't have.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I'm old enough to remember Terry Jones in the Edmonton Journal(!) referring to Edmonton as a "meat and potatoes sports town" in which Eskimos were the meat and the Oilers the potatoes. Of course this was at the height of the Eskies' 5-in-a-row Grey Cup dynasty ('77-82) and at the very dawn of the Oilers' glory days. Even an Eskimos first, Oilers second die-hard like me has to admit that, for the longest time, the Oil have been the meat and potatoes while the the Esks have been the gravy.
Hypothetically speaking, if Saskatchewan got an NHL team, they would probably outstage the Riders in a very short period of time.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:40 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Edmonton treats the Eskimos like American cities treat NHL teams; that is, interest varies depending on how well the team is doing, how nice the weather is, etc.

The Oilers are another matter altogether. Even when they are awful they are the number one topic of conversation 365 days a year. The only time I can remember interest waning was during the post dynasty hangover and that had a lot to do with a bad economy and Pocklington hatred.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Oilers AINEC
Could care less about the CFL and the Eskimos

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:12 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
I will say this as much as Hockey dominates here, Commonwealth is a heck of a lot louder then Rexall. Rexall goes quite for much of the game where as Commonwealth you have guys making noise throughout the game.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
CFL is pretty popular in Edmonton, although it's below the radar when compared to the Oilers and the NHL.

I live in Toronto, but grew up in Edmonton and there is a huge distinction in popularity of the CFL in both cities. The CFL is pretty relevant in the the Alberta Capital but it's completely an afterthough in Toronto.

Despite the fact that the Argos won the Grey Cup, the Argos get less coverage than the Raptors and Toronto FC in terms of media coverage.

I think people my age are more catered to the NFL product over the CFL and this doesn't apply to Torontonians, but football fans across Canada. The NFL is a 9 billion dollar juggernaut and find ways to attract fans from across the globe, something the CFL doesn't have.
I don't really know that the CFL wants that. They tried and it failed. They'll never be able to compete with football in the US so just stick to trying to sell the game in Canada.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I will say this as much as Hockey dominates here, Commonwealth is a heck of a lot louder then Rexall. Rexall goes quite for much of the game where as Commonwealth you have guys making noise throughout the game.
The thing about hockey and the Oilers, I think most fans make less noise because most fans are so focused on the game and the making of noise by that one obnoxious fan is less prevelant than say a football game.

Football and baseball are more slow paced games whereas hockey is a fast paced game.

I go to baseball games a lot and there are tons of drunk fans out of their mind.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:00 PM
jbean

With the exception of players like Ricky Ray or the Giz, even the 4th liners or prospects that have a cup of coffee with the team are more popular and famous in the city than all of the players on the Esks. Linus Omark, Rob Schremp, and Robert Nilsson, for example, are probably better known in Edmonton than 99% of past and current Eskimo players.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
The thing about hockey and the Oilers, I think most fans make less noise because most fans are so focused on the game and the making of noise by that one obnoxious fan is less prevelant than say a football game.

Football and baseball are more slow paced games whereas hockey is a fast paced game.

I go to baseball games a lot and there are tons of drunk fans out of their mind.
It's also a reason soccer is so incredibly loud, outside of the culture.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
ca phe sua da
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 1056
I love the CFL and I can name a big chunk of the Eskimos' roster. I follow the Eskimos as religiously as I do the Oilers. Gizmo, Moon, and Ray are as much Edmonton sports heroes as Gretz, Mess, Lowe, etc.

I even bumped into Shawn Lemon in a Save on Foods downtown (yes I recognized him). Also, Ed Jones works a floor above me. I have yet to meet a current or past Oiler outside of Rexall Place or Commonwealth Stadium.

ca phe sua da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:18 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Does a football player even have a street named after him? Gizmo Dr? Ricky Ray Way?
No streets but parks and fields.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Beerfish

Hockey easily but the dismissal of the Eskimos in this thread is idiotic.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Fiddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Hockey easily but the dismissal of the Eskimos in this thread is idiotic.
People can like and watch what they please the only thing idiotic is telling people they are just that for not liking something you like.

My order of sports

NHL>NFL>WHL>Tennis>MLB>Autoracing>NBA>Track and field>Darts>Watching paint dry>CFL

Fiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I honestly couldn't care less about the Eskimos, and I know a lot of sports fans who are the same way.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
vickpeterson

The only Eskimos fan in Edmonton is Jason Gregor. He's also the only rush fan. More people in Edmonton care about the NFL than the CFL.

vickpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

I think I've been to 2 or 3 Eskimos games ever and I was offered free tickets each time. I've been to just as many Oil King games to be honest.

I really couldn't care less about the Eskimos. I observe them and if they're doing well, great. Otherwise meh.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:27 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

I think the problem with the Esks and the CFL in general is that it doesn't really appeal to the young generation...the NFL hype-machine has taken over football in general, also Fantasy Football has taken over the NFL in general

the only people that truly care about the Esks are people who grew up in the "5 in a row" Era when the Esks were at their peak

I enjoy going to Commonweath on a sunny July or August evening and having a few pops in the heat...heck, I loved going to the Labour re-match back in the day when they won those!

but as soon as mid-September comes around and hockey season (and NFL fantasy football season) are right around the corner...CFL becomes less and less important to me...until November when I'll watch the Esks in the playoffs

plus, all you have to to do is look at attendance at Commonwealth...used to be avg. 40,000...now closer to 30,000

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
The only Eskimos fan in Edmonton is Jason Gregor. He's also the only rush fan. More people in Edmonton care about the NFL than the CFL.
Yet 35,000 people show up to watch a team that has not been very good for quite a few years.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
That's ridiculous. They attract 30,000-45,000 fans regularly.

And if not for the team's poor performance and management these last several years, the crowds would be higher.

The CFL and the Esks are greatly undervalued. You can get a season's ticket for close to the cost of one Oilers' game. There isn't a better sports deal in town, unless maybe the Oil Kings at $99 for a seat for the entire playoffs.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

If Edmonton had an NFL team I'd wager it would be 50:50, because people are attracted to the international stage.

The Eskimos and WHA Oilers probably would have been 50:50 for the same reason, less bragging rights, less exposure, less at stake.

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Chooch

Hockey.

Unless we someday miraculously get an NFL franchise

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:20 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Hockey, period.

I do like watching the Eskimos and the CFL overall. The NFL is ****ing boring.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote