HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

vCash: 500
Word is Sustr has a top 5. But saw only two Canadian teams listed.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Word is Sustr has a top 5. But saw only two Canadian teams listed.
Source?

(Not doubting you, just curious).

Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
dats81

I got it. Nevertheless, it seems that Philly is not exactly a first choice destination for high end undrafted talent or the organization does not try enough to attract those prospects.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Someone posted an article in the trade and rumors board about Sustr. Apparently playing in the NHL right away isn't a big deal to him. He wouldn't mind spending time in the AHL before playing in the NHL.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I got it. Nevertheless, it seems that Philly is not exactly a first choice destination for high end undrafted talent or the organization does not try enough to attract those prospects.
Huh? We're always hitting the College Free Agent Market pretty hard.

Most of the top guys now want to play top 6/top 4 minutes right away. The Flyers usually can't offer that. That's why you see a lot these guys signing with teams that don't have established top 6/top 4 guys.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Canteen Boy
Pretttty Good

What's the deal with Tyler Myers? I read about rumblings of him being available. What would be the price?

Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I'm not sure that's true. Matt Read is among the most successful recent college FAs, right? The Flyers obviously have both short- and long-term holes on the blue-line.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Source?

I couldn't find anything about him having a top 5 on twitter. The only thing I saw is that his phone has been getting blown up all day from NHL teams.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Huh? We're always hitting the College Free Agent Market pretty hard.
The found a diamond in the rough in Matt Read but who was most the most notable signing on defense in recent history?

Schultz, DeKeyser, Sustr, Taker - just some of the most recent examples ... none of them has ever been mentioned in connection with the Flyers by any credible source but the Flyers should have made an offer to each of them given their shallow prospect pool on defense.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
The found a diamond in the rough in Matt Read but who was most the most notable signing on defense in recent history?

Schultz, DeKeyser, Sustr, Taker ... none of them has ever been mentioned in connection with the Flyers by any credible source but the Flyers should have made an offer to each of them given their shallow prospect pool on defense.
I believe we had an offer in on Schultz, but he was pretty set on playing in Canada, right?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Schultz, DeKeyser, Sustr, Taker - just some of the most recent examples ... none of them has ever been mentioned in connection with the Flyers by any credible source but the Flyers should have made an offer to each of them given their shallow prospect pool on defense.
Shultz was dead set on playing in western Canada. DeKeyser seems to be pretty much a done deal to Detroit. We could have a chance with Sustr.

Just because we don't land them doesn't mean we're not trying to.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Shultz was dead set on playing in western Canada. DeKeyser seems to be pretty much a done deal to Detroit. We could have a chance with Sustr.

Just because we don't land them doesn't mean we're not trying to.

I think Schultz was also pretty intent on going somewhere he had a chance to hit most of his rookie bonuses. He wasn't going to get a ton of ice time here (apparently he's getting 22:00 TOI/G in Edmonton). Though I could be mistaken.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
I think Schultz was also pretty intent on going somewhere he had a chance to hit most of his rookie bonuses. He wasn't going to get a ton of ice time here (apparently he's getting 22:00 TOI/G in Edmonton). Though I could be mistaken.
I think you're right but he's also from that area and DeKeyser is from Michigan. I think they were/are factors for choosing those teams also.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Source?

Frank Krulicki ‏@krufrank
Sustr, 6'8 D out of University of Nebraska-Omaha have apparently short-listed 5 NHL teams: including Minny and Vancouver.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
The Flyers have balked at playing a undrafted college free agent in the NHL right out of college to burn off a year of their elc. JT brown, Da Costa, Wellman all had Flyers in their final group but went with the team that played them right away. They will lose Sustr if they are unwilling to play him this year.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
The Flyers have balked at playing a undrafted college free agent in the NHL right out of college to burn off a year of their elc. JT brown, Da Costa, Wellman all had Flyers in their final group but went with the team that played them right away. They will lose Sustr if they are unwilling to play him this year.
Where did you read that?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...lationary.html

Quote:
10. Boy, do teams love what Matt Read is doing right now, coming back to help the Flyers even though he is clearly in pain. Talk about gaining respect. If Philly does any business with Calgary, know that Flames assistant GM John Weisbrod has chased Read for years.

11. Kimmo Timonen was 23-years-old in 1998 when David Poile went up to him at the world championships and said, "I think you can play in the NHL." The defenceman himself wasn't so sure. Poile was right. Monday night, Timonen will play game number 1,000. His teammates and opponents see his body is betraying him, but recognize how he's trying compete despite it. Highly, highly respected.
Flyers trade for JayBouw this season or in the off season, you just know Matt Read will be involved.

Also EJ Hradek just said what we all believe, we will use our compliance buyouts on Briere and Bryz on NHL Live.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Exactly all those guys were forwards who wanted to play right away. The Flyers couldn't offer them spots on the big club so they went to other teams could. Sustr on the other hand we need and can offer a spot in the NHL. But he was quoted saying its not that big of deal to him playing in the NHL right away. So that won't be the reason we won't get him.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: No surprise, but Andrej Sustr, 6-foot-8 Univ of Nebraska-Omaha junior dman (UFA), has officially decided to leave school/field NHL offers.
-Bobby M

Old
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think the flyers would consider giving him an NHL spot right away only because he's a defenseman. In the past, they were chasing forwards for one of the deepest lineups in the NHL. They're in a different position with the defense. It can't be any worse than dressing Gervais every game for the remainder of a season that's on the brink on being one of the worst in the last fifteen years for the franchise.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Where did you read that?
It was in the Daily News that the Flyers were in the finals with Da Costa and Wellman. Da Costa wanted to know where he stood as far as depth chart and Holmgren wouldn't promise him NHL time. JT Brown was long rumored to come to Philly. Even Hartnell was recruiting him thru twitter. I don't think the Flyers had a contract for him last year so he signed with Tampa and played right away. I don't know why they lost Wellman but I assumed since he played to Minnesota right after signing, it was the same thing. Matt read didn't even get a NHL contract right after signing. He had a tryout deal with the Phantoms and the contract started the following year.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
hockeyfreak7

Players like Matt Read are rare, but they are not exactly lucky picks. I have no doubt that Holmgren is doing his due diligence on DeKeyser, Sustr, etc. If he doesn't make a strong push for them, I'd assume it's because he doesn't see the same type of potential in them that he saw in Read.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Here's an article on Sustr from last year. Things could have changed but it seems like playing right away isn't a big deal to him.

Quote:
Rather than turn pro and spend time in the minors. teams indicated that he'd likely spend at least a year, and maybe two, in the American Hockey League before getting a shot at the NHL.

“Teams have said that they agree that this was the right choice for me,” Sustr said. “As far as development goes, I'm better off staying in college. There's no rush for me to get out of here — I'm real happy with where I'm at.”

Sustr conceivably could dance the professional dance again as next season draws to a close.

“If you want to leave early, I think you should be leaving for the NHL,” he said. “Otherwise I think you should be making sure you're getting your degree and getting the time to develop.

“I would have no problem to be here for two more years as part of this program.”
http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23098/conte...tguid=Px3U788o

Old
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

man i want sustr so bad

Old
03-18-2013, 06:27 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote: