HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
The Spits players have been prancing around the city like rock stars for as long as I can remember. I can even remember 16yo Hall and Ellis at the bars... it's just asking for trouble IMO.
When you win nobody really will say a word but right now they aren't the toast of town. OHLTG should read about the probe into Boston University hockey and the issues they ran into the drunken parties, the run ins with the law, people being found guilty. Of course the coach Jack Parker is a dinosaur and players took advantage of him but this also took a toll on the coach. It's a terrific read.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If there were two assaults on two different nights, why didn't the first assault come out at the time?
From listening to the news both of these counts of sexual assault happened the same night just at 2 different bars from 2 different women. There's a publication ban on the bars where these incidents happened. Johnson is staying in custody for the night, bail is set at $30,000 of which $15,000 in cash. Johnson will be leaving the country but later returning to his court date.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
From listening to the news both of these counts of sexual assault happened the same night just at 2 different bars from 2 different women. There's a publication ban on the bars where these incidents happened. Johnson is staying in custody for the night, bail is set at $30,000 of which $15,000 in cash. Johnson will be leaving the country but later returning to his court date.
CBC news -Windsor is reporting 1 alleged incident occurred last night and the other
alleged incident occurred 3 week ago
Last nite involved a 16 year old,the other a 20 year old women

Old
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
There's no "insta-click" option for evidence gathering.
No, but if the events happened with any time significance between them, why wasn't the first incident brought force before now?

...and now I read (just above) that it's two bars, same night? I'm confused.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
CBC news -Windsor is reporting 1 alleged incident occurred last night and the other
alleged incident occurred 3 week ago
Last nite involved a 16 year old,the other a 20 year old women
Interesting.....

Old
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Ottomatic

To paraphrase Marilyn Manson -
Quote:
We're all stars now,
In the gong show.
Boughner and Rychel = Riolo era with wins.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
No, but if the events happened with any time significance between them, why wasn't the first incident brought force before now?
Investigating the first as it will be a he said-she said, but second accusation comes in, maybe with the same M.O., and police move on both.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
coachfluffy

First point is that even if he did it does not mean Johnson will be found guilty. With Ducharme as the lawyer, there is a good chance he will not.

I don't think any of us are naive to think that there is no drinking in junior hockey. Not only is drinking not unheard of amongst teenagers, the players are away from home for the first time. Add to that the rock star treatment they receive by the fans and it is not that far of a stretch to assume that is not rare at all.

It was about the time when the current regime took over that players I knew started playing junior. Spits players would tell stories about star players getting in fights downtown and have to be rescued by teammates. The star would be scurried away in a cab, while the others remained to clean up any messes. They also told stories of parties at one of the coaches' house. Billets I know would relate how they would come home late from their own kids' games to find the liquor bottles empty.

I am sure all teams can tell similar stories, all of which could be told of many high schoolers. More shocking with a player because of their 'fame'.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Libbs

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03...own-nightclub/

Old
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
First point is that even if he did it does not mean Johnson will be found guilty. With Ducharme as the lawyer, there is a good chance he will not.

I don't think any of us are naive to think that there is no drinking in junior hockey. Not only is drinking not unheard of amongst teenagers, the players are away from home for the first time. Add to that the rock star treatment they receive by the fans and it is not that far of a stretch to assume that is not rare at all.

It was about the time when the current regime took over that players I knew started playing junior. Spits players would tell stories about star players getting in fights downtown and have to be rescued by teammates. The star would be scurried away in a cab, while the others remained to clean up any messes. They also told stories of parties at one of the coaches' house. Billets I know would relate how they would come home late from their own kids' games to find the liquor bottles empty.

I am sure all teams can tell similar stories, all of which could be told of many high schoolers. More shocking with a player because of their 'fame'.
You are 100% correct.

Though I don't think any of us are really naive about it.... at least I'm not. It's just a sad state as to how each generation keeps getting worse.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
The 20 year old just came forward after she heard about the most recent assault.
Shouldn't she have gone to the police regardless?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Ottomatic

Unfortunately I was partially right - same MO, nightclub bathrooms. But the 20 yr old came forward after hearing about the current charge. Though I wonder how she found out about it - given it was so early in the investigation and nothing was public yet.

I'd be concerned about more women potentially coming forward now if I was Johnson now that it is public, more girls might have figured that nobody would believe me, it would be a he-said, she-said etc.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Shouldn't she have gone to the police regardless?
I can only imagine the amount of unreported sexual assaults every year.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Unfortunately I was partially right - same MO, nightclub bathrooms. But the 20 yr old came forward after hearing about the current charge. Though I wonder how she found out about it - given it was so early in the investigation and nothing was public yet.

I'd be concerned about more women potentially coming forward now if I was Johnson now that it is public, more girls might have figured that nobody would believe me, it would be a he-said, she-said etc.
Or maybe she has came forward but didn't get enough of a description for police to identify the assailant. Then when this 2nd attack occurred, the police were able to link the crimes.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Or maybe she has came forward but didn't get enough of a description for police to identify the assailant. Then when this 2nd attack occurred, the police were able to link the crimes.
Right and maybe with the first incident there is really no "crime scene." Needless to say this is a little more serious than the boys in the Soo. Johnson is being sent out of the country and cannot contact any of the witnesses which include some of his teammates. We will see what happens but I have a hard time believing he will be on the team next year.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
coachfluffy

As stated by others, the first girl probably figured no one would believe her, or maybe she didn't even have a name or was too drunk to remember.

The second girl went to the hospital, which is required by law to contact police. The police would be on the actual scene in a relative short period of time after the incident and cordone it off for the investigation.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
We will see what happens but I have a hard time believing he will be on the team next year.
If convicted he may have a difficult time returning to Canada after his sentence.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
big papa

here is the video from CTV about the Johnson Story

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/windsor-sp...rges-1.1200518

Old
03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Spitsfan191

17 people on Johnsons no-contact list as per AM800

Old
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I'll go ahead and say it again.

2) There is a sense of entitlement that comes along with being a pseudo-celebrity, especially as a hockey player in Canada. This can lend itself to rash decisions and situations like this can occur.
This^^

Even with the limited info publicly available, I find it hard to side with Johnson.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:08 PM
OHLTG

I'm really 50/50 on this. Every time something new comes out, I have even more questions.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:16 PM
hockeyboy4

so if guilty of both charges what are johnsons options for hockey next season?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
so if guilty of both charges what are johnsons options for hockey next season?
Considering the boys convicted in the Steubenville case are both jailed until 21, I'd assume if there was a conviction of Johnson, he wouldn't be playing any kind of hockey next year.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Libbs

2009- Henrique gets jumped at a bar and has his Memorial Cup Ring stolen.

2010- Kassian punches a guy in the face and is charged with assault.

2010- Marc Cantin gets his jaw broken while trying to stop a fight while at a bar.

2012- Bob Jones punches out a teenager outside a SSM bar. Charged with assault

2013- Johnson charged with 2 counts of sexual assault, allegedly occurring in the bathroom of 2 different bars.

Not to mention the countless other stupid actions by Spitfire players over the years downtown.

When is the organisation going to start being proactive in the education of their players?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
hockeyboy4

^ dont forget emerson clark and bowen bar fight

Closed Thread