HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks at the Trade Deadline

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
  #51
Vajakki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He isn't great the defense part but is deadly on the pp and is RH.
The Canucks don't really need Babchuk type of PP player though. Big shots on the point is not an issue, it's more the break outs, retrieval and general quickness of the unit. Babchuk is nothing but a slapshot bot and if the Canucks needed that they would just put Garrison there.

Vajakki is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  #52
Smokey McCanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Depth at forward, especially center, is what we need. Someone who is good on faceoffs, we have really cratered in that area. Nobody who is a big name or has a big price tag, this season is a one-off and making big moves and major decisions is inadvisable because of all the lockout-caused wrinkles.

Smokey McCanucks is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  #53
Catamarca Livin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
The point of Malhotra was to take a decent load of the defensive match ups so Kesler could focus on his offensive numbers.

Had Kesler and Malhotra not been injured we'd be a 2nd line winger away from a powerhouse. On paper.

The amount Malhotra is undervalued here is criminal. You bet your sweet ass Gillis would take a serious run at a Malhotra pre-injury over almost any other player at the deadline this year, if he existed.
Malhotra underated here? He is given credit for everything. I think he is the only defensive center is the league given credit for when the second line center scores. I do not remember Stall getting credit for when Crosby or Malkin scored. Does Sutter get that credit now. Does Hansen ever get any credit for playing with Manny on that line? Or for the pk in that year? Manny played how many games that year. He once went 20 games without getting a point. Sure he still did his job, but it was easier because the Sedins and Kesler were lighting it up. He was the same player in Columbus, without the Sedins or Kesler and he got a 750K contract. He was a good role player on a very good team, on a lesser team you do not have the luxury on having a defense only center on your 3rd line. The legend of Manny is just that. Manny's injury hurt us in the playoffs because we had no other NHL centers. Lappy filled in great on the 3rd line unforturately no one replaced Lappy on the fourth line. So the fourth line was useless. However i think Lappierre was a better player on the third line than Malhotra would have been. Too bad Manny got hurt but i will never believe he was the main factor in that great year. A factor yes, like any role player is.

Catamarca Livin is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
  #54
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 50
I doubt anybody from the roster is being traded. Gillis is not fool enough to trade away picks. Canucks do not have anything else. No help is coming, again.

I think the rumors about Gaborik and offer sheeting O'Rielly are just camoflage. Gillis "working the phones"? LOL! What evidence is there of work from Gillis? Has he done anything this calender year? Gillis might be working the phones but he can't make other GMs answer.

Is Tallon still taking his calls? It seems possible. Gillis must have been badgering Tallon every day during the off-season to get a Luongo deal done, right? Surely they are buddies by now! I wonder why Tallon watched his season crater instead of accepting Luongo? An oversight, I guess. Surely he will bail out the Canucks now, though?

I haven't really noticed players clamoring to be traded to Vancouver. Where are the Iginla rumors? Why did Nash go to a Sather team? Why did Schultz go to Edmonton?

Why does anybody think a FA is coming here? Perry? LOL!

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
  #55
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,803
vCash: 5100
I will be pretty disappointed if Gillis doesn't acquire a legitimate top-6 winger.

Someone like Perry(extremely unlikely), or Gaborik, Pominville, Vanek, or to a lesser extent someone like Jagr or Whitney.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
  #56
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Iran
Posts: 2,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I doubt anybody from the roster is being traded. Gillis is not fool enough to trade away picks. Canucks do not have anything else. No help is coming, again.

I think the rumors about Gaborik and offer sheeting O'Rielly are just camoflage. Gillis "working the phones"? LOL! What evidence is there of work from Gillis? Has he done anything this calender year? Gillis might be working the phones but he can't make other GMs answer.

Is Tallon still taking his calls? It seems possible. Gillis must have been badgering Tallon every day during the off-season to get a Luongo deal done, right? Surely they are buddies by now! I wonder why Tallon watched his season crater instead of accepting Luongo? An oversight, I guess. Surely he will bail out the Canucks now, though?

I haven't really noticed players clamoring to be traded to Vancouver. Where are the Iginla rumors? Why did Nash go to a Sather team? Why did Schultz go to Edmonton?

Why does anybody think a FA is coming here? Perry? LOL!
Uhhhh.....Nash went to New York because he got traded there.....Calgary and Vancouver play in the same division and would Feaster really trade Iginla, their franchise legend, to a divsion rival? Who Flames fans hate with a passion? Schultz went to Edmonton for playing time and growing up with a young core. He'll also see a bigger contract because of his ice time and stats.......

Nuck This is online now  
Old
03-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #57
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys
 
94eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I doubt anybody from the roster is being traded. Gillis is not fool enough to trade away picks. Canucks do not have anything else. No help is coming, again.

I think the rumors about Gaborik and offer sheeting O'Rielly are just camoflage. Gillis "working the phones"? LOL! What evidence is there of work from Gillis? Has he done anything this calender year? Gillis might be working the phones but he can't make other GMs answer.

Is Tallon still taking his calls? It seems possible. Gillis must have been badgering Tallon every day during the off-season to get a Luongo deal done, right? Surely they are buddies by now! I wonder why Tallon watched his season crater instead of accepting Luongo? An oversight, I guess. Surely he will bail out the Canucks now, though?

I haven't really noticed players clamoring to be traded to Vancouver. Where are the Iginla rumors? Why did Nash go to a Sather team? Why did Schultz go to Edmonton?

Why does anybody think a FA is coming here? Perry? LOL!

94eleven is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:02 PM
  #58
Lawzy
Registered User
 
Lawzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Malhotra underated here? He is given credit for everything. I think he is the only defensive center is the league given credit for when the second line center scores. I do not remember Stall getting credit for when Crosby or Malkin scored. Does Sutter get that credit now. Does Hansen ever get any credit for playing with Manny on that line? Or for the pk in that year? Manny played how many games that year. He once went 20 games without getting a point. Sure he still did his job, but it was easier because the Sedins and Kesler were lighting it up. He was the same player in Columbus, without the Sedins or Kesler and he got a 750K contract. He was a good role player on a very good team, on a lesser team you do not have the luxury on having a defense only center on your 3rd line. The legend of Manny is just that. Manny's injury hurt us in the playoffs because we had no other NHL centers. Lappy filled in great on the 3rd line unforturately no one replaced Lappy on the fourth line. So the fourth line was useless. However i think Lappierre was a better player on the third line than Malhotra would have been. Too bad Manny got hurt but i will never believe he was the main factor in that great year. A factor yes, like any role player is.
You're entitled to your opinion, I am mine. I disagree with a lot of your points, but I can see where you are coming from.

Manny was a large factor if you ask me, one of many.

Lappy played out of his mind, the whole team was on stride, career years for many players. Obviously it would be asinine to relegate all this to a simple shutdown defensive specialist, but I do believe he played a very big role in our historic season.

Hammy going down from the Luch hit, Kesler playing on one leg and Manny being a shell of his own great self are my main attributions to our eventual downfall.

Lawzy is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
  #59
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Iran
Posts: 2,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, I am mine. I disagree with a lot of your points, but I can see where you are coming from.

Manny was a large factor if you ask me, one of many.

Lappy played out of his mind, the whole team was on stride, career years for many players. Obviously it would be asinine to relegate all this to a simple shutdown defensive specialist, but I do believe he played a very big role in our historic season.

Hammy going down from the Luch hit, Kesler playing on one leg and Manny being a shell of his own great self are my main attributions to our eventual downfall.
Ya I'd say it was mostly Hamhuis and Kesler. If they were both fully healthy, I dont think Boston coming back in that series, regardless of Malhotra.

Nuck This is online now  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
  #60
jigsaw99
#fireAV
 
jigsaw99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,558
vCash: 500
Jagr would be interesting. He'd be cheap too. Help our PP and he'd be currently our leading goal scorer! Jagr with Sedins!! !

jigsaw99 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
  #61
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
The rational side of me wants to sell this deadline.

I am a man, so that's all there is to this.

We should sell.

roach9 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
  #62
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced
 
Balls Mahoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: +7 495 695-37-76
Country: United States
Posts: 11,598
vCash: 500
Dan Boyle anyone?

Balls Mahoney is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
  #63
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Needs:
- 3rd line center (preferably left handed)
- right handed top 6 d-man
- top 6 winger
- starting goalie
We should had claimed dipietro when we had the opportunity.

palindrom is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
  #64
Wildcarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Malhotra underated here? He is given credit for everything. I think he is the only defensive center is the league given credit for when the second line center scores. I do not remember Stall getting credit for when Crosby or Malkin scored. Does Sutter get that credit now. Does Hansen ever get any credit for playing with Manny on that line? Or for the pk in that year? Manny played how many games that year. He once went 20 games without getting a point. Sure he still did his job, but it was easier because the Sedins and Kesler were lighting it up. He was the same player in Columbus, without the Sedins or Kesler and he got a 750K contract. He was a good role player on a very good team, on a lesser team you do not have the luxury on having a defense only center on your 3rd line. The legend of Manny is just that. Manny's injury hurt us in the playoffs because we had no other NHL centers. Lappy filled in great on the 3rd line unforturately no one replaced Lappy on the fourth line. So the fourth line was useless. However i think Lappierre was a better player on the third line than Malhotra would have been. Too bad Manny got hurt but i will never believe he was the main factor in that great year. A factor yes, like any role player is.
I'm going to defend my opinion here on why we need a Malhotra type player with a couple points.

1) Given AV's style of coaching and system, a Malhotra type player is cruicial to team success. We're able to follow along pretty closely to see how AV chooses to deploy line matching strategies and how he shelters certain players with more or less offensive/defensive starts. If we had another head coach like Bylsma or Maurice this may not be as much of a need for us. For AV? You can't run his system that successfully without this type of player.

2) Faceoffs. This ties into point 1 in terms of the puck posession style we want to play as a team. I haven't looked at the difference in stats this season with and without Manny but Vancouver is currently 23rd in Face Off %. With Malhotra taking draws we were #1 and #3 as a team the past 2 seasons. Number 1 in the League to now 23rd. This is a pretty big difference along with our PP freefall.

Wildcarder is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:42 PM
  #65
Slapshot_11
Registered User
 
Slapshot_11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
I know it will never happen but id like them to sell. I dont like the makeup of this team or idenity and think we will be a average team for the foreseeable future imo

Slapshot_11 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
  #66
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Either go for broke and target Corey Perry, or sell and move Raymond and Higgins. I don't think this team should be wasting picks on guys like Goc or Hendricks when this team has way too many needs to be a legitimate contender this season. Do not want to turn into Calgary.
Seeing the name "Marcel Goc" thrown around as a rumoured acquisition makes my skin crawl. That's exactly the type of typical Vancouver Canuck vanilla addition that they do not need. Not a veteran with quality playoff experience, not physical, doesn't score, etc. Just a body. Please avoid.

On Perry - no shot. Anaheim's in our division next year.

King of the ES* is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
  #67
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Dan Boyle anyone?
That's very interesting. I like it. But SJ would need to be pretty clearly out of the playoffs for them to be interested.

Ryane Clowe's another guy that would be a welcome addition to this team. Legit tough guy that can play. Value is currently low (best time to buy).

With that said, honestly, who the heck would be going to SJ? We really don't have a lot of realistically marketable players, at the moment.

King of the ES* is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
  #68
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Ryan Clowe's another guy that would be a welcome addition to this team. Legit tough guy that can play. Value is currently low (best time to buy).
He's dealing with shoulder problems and quite possibly other injury trouble too (his skating is worse than ever). He's likely going to be completely useless the rest of the season.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
  #69
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's dealing with shoulder problems and quite possibly other injury trouble too (his skating is worse than ever). He's likely going to be completely useless the rest of the season.
He doesn't need to do much. It's his attitude/demeanor that this team could use. He's a legit intimidator (unlike Kassian, Sestito, Weise, etc.) that's brash, emotional, etc. Guys like that have value. Let's not forget the jolt that Boston got when Thornton was inserted into their lineup.

He'd add some life to this team very quickly.

King of the ES* is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
  #70
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,611
vCash: 500
time to sell some parts. start over next year. no point in getting a center+dman or whatever. season injury to booth. lineup isnt that good now. 2 good lines. yes that includes raymond/hansen/higgins.

David71 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM
  #71
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,677
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Seeing the name "Marcel Goc" thrown around as a rumoured acquisition makes my skin crawl. That's exactly the type of typical Vancouver Canuck vanilla addition that they do not need. Not a veteran with quality playoff experience, not physical, doesn't score, etc. Just a body. Please avoid.
I think that's crazy. Goc is a solid player, not rental (1.5 years), dirt cheap $1.7m. Not amazing but again he is only $1.7m, suitable for a 3C role and cheap enough to stash into the 4C role. He's be a fantastic guy to have a youngster slide into the roster and play beside.

Someone also mentioned Vermette, another good pick up with 2.5 years left on his deal. Great on faceoffs. Can fill in at 2C if needed. Can fill in Malhotra's roll as a defensive specialist or provide offfense. I'd want Gillis all over that if he ever gets put up for sale.

I'd deal picks and prospects for these two, they round the team out, and they won't break the team to aquire, and they aren't a 1 season rental. Sedin - Kesler - Vermette - Goc (Lapierre) is tremendous centre with enough redundancy to survive 1 injury.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Kassian
Higgins Vermette Hansen
Wiese Goc Lapierre
Pinizzotto

That is cup capabable imho. It's a shame Booth got injured or that'd be one crazy good 4th line. It lacks a 2nd line star winger but there is a limit to what can be achieved in one deadline. There is also a little wiggle room for an offseason top 6 move.

I know people are frustrated but adding Kesler and one/both of those guys transforms this team. We can't simply give up this year without at least have a look around for decent fixes (be prepared to pay a bit) because this team is the Sedins and they won't last forever. Let's not forget Kesler is breaking down consistently. 3 years from know we might could be in full rebuild and we'll look back on this as a lost opportunity.

If the Canucks have to give up their 2013 2nd, 2014 1st, some lesser prospects for a 2-3 year fix it is a no brainer for me.


Last edited by me2: 03-18-2013 at 06:21 PM.
me2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:16 PM
  #72
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Our real only need is a faceoff/defensive center (since the price for the popular top 6 forward would be sky high/we can't afford it/don't even have the assets unless we give up Jensen + 1st ++).

That said, depending on how the next 2 weeks go, could easily make the unpopular argument that we should just be sellers. Injuries pretty much killed our planned second line and our lack of secondary/depth scoring seems to finally be catching up to us. There doesn't appear to be many sellers and with all the injuries + lack of training camp, you got to wonder how effective Kesler/Booth might be come playoff time or for that matter rather or not we make the playoffs. With the cap coming down and seemingly our "window" closing, if we decide to sell a few pieces at the deadline, it could possibly get the assets we need for next season and extend the "window" with (hopefully) a healthful Kesler, a healthy Booth (or replaced his cap space with a top 6 forward), and whatever assets we get back for players we would probably lose in the off season anyways (Lapierre, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen, Ballard, goalie that win/loses the coin flip). Not saying trade all of them but a couple of them for the right price could extend our window and give us a much better shot next year. I think a lot of fans were prepared to write-off this year anyways so selling might not be as unpopular as in a full season (where we are likely locked for a playoff spot).

denkiteki is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
  #73
canuck4life16
stanleycupchamps2015
 
canuck4life16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,696
vCash: 50
I think Dubinsky or Brassard would be something that can helpful to the team, can play a second line role and go to third line role when Kesler returns. Can provide offence and a good two way player

canuck4life16 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
  #74
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
He doesn't need to do much. It's his attitude/demeanor that this team could use. He's a legit intimidator (unlike Kassian, Sestito, Weise, etc.) that's brash, emotional, etc. Guys like that have value. Let's not forget the jolt that Boston got when Thornton was inserted into their lineup.

He'd add some life to this team very quickly.
We already have way too many players "not doing much". Pass on Clowe.

Thornton would be awesome though.

Wheatley is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 06:21 PM
  #75
Wildcarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
We already have way too many players "not doing much". Pass on Clowe.

Thornton would be awesome though.
Ott?

Wildcarder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.