HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Interested in Mike Ribeiro

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Leafs Interested in Mike Ribeiro

Quote:
Corey Perry’s name is the name that has surfaced on talk surrounding the Leafs with regards to trade or off-season moves.
But another name making the rounds around the Leafs is Mike Ribeiro, a top-six centre.
The Leafs are said to be interested in adding a centre and a top-four defenceman.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...it_around.html

If the Caps are sellers, the Leafs definitely have the prospect depth to pull off the deal. Could be something around, say, Tyler Biggs, which would give the Capitals two big, tough power forwards in-waiting.

03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv

vCash: 142
I don't want to trade Biggs...I'd say Colborne+ should get it done.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Highly doubt Biggs is moved... I doubt we trade valuable assets for Ribeiro, we have Kadri who is similar.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
ottawa
go habs go

I'm not sure if you guys want a guy like Ribeiro surrounding a young team like the Leafs. Unless he's changed since his departure from MTL, he's not exactly a team player. Maybe Dallas and Washington fans can correct me.

03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
I'm not sure if you guys want a guy like Ribeiro surrounding a young team like the Leafs. Unless he's changed since his departure from MTL, he's not exactly a team player. Maybe Dallas and Washington fans can correct me.
He's been great, productive and quiet, don't be silly. I'd take him back on the Habs in a heartbeat.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Exactly why I don't really want him.

Obviously he'd be an upgrade on Bozak, but he's not really what we need, we're soft enough in our top-6 IMO. Unless he's coming at a real cheap price I don't want to touch this.

Edit: Just realized just how good he's been playing this season, not as opposed to it but still not sold.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
My view of Ribeiro has always been great point producer, poor team guy.

Again, maybe someone else can shed light on this?

I'd be more interested in acquiring the best defenceman possible as opposed to dealing for more forwards.

We are 7th in the league in scoring and have no problem with that. We have given up the 10th most goals though (and goaltending hasn't looked to be the issue so much as defence).

Old
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
Exactly why I don't really want him.

Obviously he'd be an upgrade on Bozak, but he's not really what we need, we're soft enough in our top-6 IMO. Unless he's coming at a real cheap price I don't want to touch this.
Yeah you really don't need a top-scoring centreman, your team's set.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
ottawa
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's been great, productive and quiet, don't be silly. I'd take him back on the Habs in a heartbeat.
He was great and productive with us too, but he wasn't great in the locker room. I'd take him back too on the habs if he's matured (and there is a good possibility that he has)

Old
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
I've seen quite a few highlights of him taking selfish penalties from just this season alone. One game he had an ongoing beef with a referee that lead to him getting kicked out of the game IIRC. Can someone refresh my memory on this issue?

His talent is there, but I don't think he has ever been the type of teammate that you love having around. Then again I'm not in the dressing rooms. Just going by his onice antics.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
ottawa
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I've seen quite a few highlights of him taking selfish penalties from just this season alone. One game he had an ongoing beef with a referee that lead to him getting kicked out of the game IIRC. Can someone refresh my memory on this issue?

His talent is there, but I don't think he has ever been the type of teammate that you love having around. Then again I'm not in the dressing rooms. Just going by his onice antics.
On the habs it was his off-ice antics that were the worst (partying a lot) but there were also few occasions when he would pull stupid stuff on the ice (like the penalties you're talking about or embellishment) but he was always good at putting up points. I'm sure he's matured too since he left the habs over 6 years ago I'm guessing, but it'd be nice if caps or stars fan could weigh in on this.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:16 PM
caley

I wonder if this rumored interest has anything to do with Bob McKenzie mentioning "phone lines heating up somewhat" about Roberto Luongo. In other words, and I hate to open that can of worms again, Leafs bring in Ribeiro to replace some outgoing offence (Bozak?) headed to Vancouver for Luongo.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:16 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Yeah you really don't need a top-scoring centreman, your team's set.
Our offense is doing quite well, defense needs to be addressed first. I acknowledged he's a big upgrade but there are different areas that need to be improved on first. We're probably not competing this year, no point of using assets on a guy who can very well walk in the offseason for huge money.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Were not dealing any top prospect for a rental. Especially Biggs.

Nonis has been quoted as saying he will only move youth in a deal for youth. Now im not naive enough to think hes being completely honest, but I think if he breaks that quote it will be for a guy like Perry. Not Ribero.

Last edited by blasted_Sabre: 03-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Man Bear Pig

Always been a fan of Ribeiro, even though he's not very popular, the man can produce and would look great with Kessel. I wouldn't give up a Biggs for a rental, but guys like Holzer and Kostka should be available.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:41 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 769
Depends on the price. I wouldnt move Biggs.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I wonder if this rumored interest has anything to do with Bob McKenzie mentioning "phone lines heating up somewhat" about Roberto Luongo. In other words, and I hate to open that can of worms again, Leafs bring in Ribeiro to replace some outgoing offence (Bozak?) headed to Vancouver for Luongo.
It would make sense. Luongo,Ribeiro and possiby a dman added while Bozak,picks and prospects go out. It would certainly improve the Leafs in the short-term.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I certainly don't want that can of worms going again, but I can't see the Leafs bringing him in at all if we've still got Bozak, Grabo, Kadri to play in the top 6.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Pi

God I hope not...why do we need Ribeiro? Yes he's a great player but do we really want to re-sign a player that will be 34 next season?

He won't come cheap, so just forget about Ribeiro.

About Luongo: I highly doubt Gillis would swallow his pride and take a lower return and trade him to Toronto.

Leafs don't need Luongo, they just need to get rid of Holzer and start playing better D in front of their team again.

I would definitely not trade Biggs. He's the guy the Leafs need most on their team, big body that is good defensively, chips in points, and is an excellent PK'er with top 6 upside.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
kihei

vCash: 179
Colborne, yes. Biggs, no.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I doubt we trade valuable assets for Ribeiro
Another team will.

Quote:
Why is it people assume a guy is the same 7-8 years later? Yeah, he's different and is in no way a locker room cancer as every Habs fan is so willing to tell the world. That said, I like Ribeiro too much to want to see him go to Toronto to get ripped to shreds by the media and fanbase. He's better in a more low profile locale, i.e. any American city.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
tml145

i think the leafs should look to improve the team in the offseason and not go for rentals

Old
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Not sure how much I believe this rumour -- Kadri makes Ribiero a tad redundant (but holy hell would he be better than Bozak on the top line since Carlyle refuses to try Kadri there.)

But for Biggs? Lol in a heartbeat enjoy no take-backs.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Ricky Bobby

Ribeiro was traded for Cody Eakins and the 54th overall.

Ribeiro would be a big upgrade to our forward but I question if our dressing room is strong enough to deal with him.

On paper though slotting him in Bozak spot would suddenly give the Leafs good depth down the middle with a 1-2-3 punch of Ribeiro-Kadri-Grabo

Old
03-18-2013, 07:53 PM
ottawa
go habs go

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Another team will.

Why is it people assume a guy is the same 7-8 years later? Yeah, he's different and is in no way a locker room cancer as every Habs fan is so willing to tell the world. That said, I like Ribeiro too much to want to see him go to Toronto to get ripped to shreds by the media and fanbase. He's better in a more low profile locale, i.e. any American city.
You were taking my post a little too personally imo, I wasn't knocking on Ribs. I clearly stated I might have been wrong and would hope that a WSH or DAL fan could shed some light on this topic. Thanks for the info though, I'm glad he's matured and turned into a better teammate

Closed Thread