HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Targets

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
So Couture's a tool because he hangs out with Dustin Brown and listens to music you don't like? Lol okay. Brown is one of the most charitable players in the NHL, he sounds weird because he has a speech impediment. And everyone has different tastes in music. I'm not a Drake fan personally, but it's a silly reason to judge someone.

I agree he tries to hard to be cool, but that makes him no different than pretty much anyone in their 20's.
I agree. Brown, Perry, and Doughty are being judged by how they play hockey.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with MSB above. I don't get the dislike for Brown. I actually was a little surprised that the Canucks had a GDT earlier this year centered around mocking Brown's lisp (if that is what his impediment is). I hate his diving but that does not make him a bad person.

Couture might have a crappy taste in music but he is a young kid who is trying to be cool.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I agree with MSB above. I don't get the dislike for Brown. I actually was a little surprised that the Canucks had a GDT earlier this year centered around mocking Brown's lisp (if that is what his impediment is). I hate his diving but that does not make him a bad person.

Couture might have a crappy taste in music but he is a young kid who is trying to be cool.
I could care less about all of them but Perry. Perry is a bad person.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
So Couture's a tool because he hangs out with Dustin Brown and listens to music you don't like? Lol okay. Brown is one of the most charitable players in the NHL, he sounds weird because he has a speech impediment. And everyone has different tastes in music. I'm not a Drake fan personally, but it's a silly reason to judge someone.

I agree he tries to hard to be cool, but that makes him no different than pretty much anyone in their 20's.
lol getting way off topic but your last sentence pretty much sums up what a tool is, so yeah.....kinda killed your own buzz there.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:23 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

Pretty sure I didn't say that, pretty sure you are putting words into my mouth.

Never said Brown is a bad person, just a doofus, used that word several times. He seems like a nice enough guy. I've even made a couple of pitches for trading for him. I just think he shouldn't be captain of the Kings, but it seems to be working out ok for them anyway.

Being a 'tool' simply means he's not the kind of person you would want to hang around. Doughty has a reputation for being kind of an egomaniac/standoffish. Perry off the ice seems fine, but it's his on ice behavior that I find reprehensible in this case. Brown just seems like one of those guys that try's wayyyyy too hard and is super obnoxious.

Why are we arguing about this? Does it deeply offend you that Jux and I would not want to hang out with Couture in real life? Or are you just being contrary for the sake of it?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Pretty sure I didn't say that, pretty sure you are putting words into my mouth.

Never said Brown is a bad person, just a doofus, used that word several times. He seems like a nice enough guy. I've even made a couple of pitches for trading for him. I just think he shouldn't be captain of the Kings, but it seems to be working out ok for them anyway.

Being a 'tool' simply means he's not the kind of person you would want to hang around. Doughty has a reputation for being kind of an egomaniac/standoffish. Perry off the ice seems fine, but it's his on ice behavior that I find reprehensible in this case. Brown just seems like one of those guys that try's wayyyyy too hard and is super obnoxious.

Why are we arguing about this? Does it deeply offend you that Jux and I would not want to hang out with Couture in real life? Or are you just being contrary for the sake of it?
I think he's arguing about it because it seems like you and Jux are saying that Couture's toolish off ice persona makes him not fit to be the face of the franchise. Just give him a few years to settle down, he's already mature on the ice.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

All hockey players listen to awful music. Case closed. The biggest knock on Couture is that hes a Bills fan.

Old
Jumpavleau

More Sharks attention, this time in Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts

Quote:
Right now, teams believe they are chasing the same guys. On Hotstove, we mentioned Ryane Clowe, Derek Roy and Brenden Morrow (who, as of Saturday, had not been asked to waive his no-trade). Some other examples likely would be Robyn Regehr and Nate Thompson, who a few teams seem to like.

Those five players have something in common: they're unrestricted free agents. There's a reason for that.

Does anyone want to take on salary?

The salary cap for next season is set: $64.3 million US. Spend a few minutes on Capgeek and you'll see there aren't many teams with a boatload of flexibility.
Quote:
5. The biggest concern about Clowe is not that he hasn't scored this season. It's if he's more injured than we realize. The winger left Saturday's loss to Los Angeles with a shoulder injury -- which may have confirmed potential suitors' fears. They're nervous about it.
Quote:
6. The Sharks are in a tough spot. Other GMs say Doug Wilson, who is a big-time tire-kicker, is difficult to pin down. Sometimes he wants to re-shape his group (but don't even ask about Logan Couture), other times he's more conservative. Here's why: they've missed the playoffs once in 14 seasons. That resulted in 3,000 fewer season-ticket renewals, something they have never forgotten. It can really spook a franchise.

Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I think he's arguing about it because it seems like you and Jux are saying that Couture's toolish off ice persona makes him not fit to be the face of the franchise. Just give him a few years to settle down, he's already mature on the ice.
I'm saying that Couture's a tool and that he's not talented enough to be a franchise player. Mutually exclusive traits. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Never said any such thing. She mentioned something about it not making him a good captain...

I was literally only saying that he seems like someone I wouldn't want to hang out with in real life. It's really just my opinion and totally meaningless.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Are we seriously arguing about the "tool"ness level of NHL players, considering they're all basically jocks getting paid big cash to play a game?

I couldn't care less how they act off the ice as long as it doesn't affect their on-ice performance or their training. I don't want Perry because he'd cost an arm and a leg, not so much for his other traits. While I do find his on-ice behavior disagreeable, it's not like he's Bertuzzi, Cooke, Torres, etc.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

FWIW, I wouldn't want to hang out with any of you...

Back on topic, please.

Hrm, I'm not a fan of NYR Boyle. Seems awful soft for his size. Maybe that's just HF's take on him and it found its way into my brain.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis

Last edited by slocal: 03-18-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Which player out this is quick on his feet, has a quick release and an accurate, hard shot?

Old
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
FWIW, I wouldn't want to hang out with any of you...

Back on topic, please.

Hrm, I'm not a fan of NYR Boyle. Seems awful soft for his size. Maybe that's just HF's take on him and it found its way into my brain.
He'll fit right in then.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Which player out this is quick on his feet, has a quick release and an accurate, hard shot?
Well it depends on what you want. If Thornton is staying around long term then you want a guy like Burns (big, fast, and a great shot, can make space for himself when the play stagnates as it will with Thornton), if Thornton is going to go (either way honestly) I'd look for a more dynamic player, Grabner (fast), Okposo(opportunistic), Krieder(fast power forward), etc...

The Sharks need to start scoring on the rush, and to do that they need players that can score on the rush at wing.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
He'll fit right in then.
Dammit

I just for once would love a true energy line. I know that's probably an outdated line of thinking, but I just want to see the glass shake more often than it does.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Brian Boyle is slower than Handzus. He's a healthy scratch on the Rangers regularly, and just look at the crappy state of the Rangers bottom-6 it might be worse than ours.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Brian Boyle is not a good fit.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Dammit

I just for once would love a true energy line. I know that's probably an outdated line of thinking, but I just want to see the glass shake more often than it does.
An energy line as we tend to think of it (those epic third line grinders) on a good team is now the fourth line IMHO. On good teams the third line needs to be a Two Way line with scoring pop.... the grinding line can stay to the fourth.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:25 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
An energy line as we tend to think of it (those epic third line grinders) on a good team is now the fourth line IMHO. On good teams the third line needs to be a Two Way line with scoring pop.... the grinding line can stay to the fourth.
Third line, fourth line, I just want some guys to actually hit and be nasty. It seems like we have one person show up and actually be physical each game instead of a whole line. Desi has been earning Burish's pay, IMO. Irks me that Adam got that contract.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Third line, fourth line, I just want some guys to actually hit and be nasty. It seems like we have one person show up and actually be physical each game instead of a whole line. Desi has been earning Burish's pay, IMO. Irks me that Adam got that contract.
Galiardi - Wingels - Burish could be that line, if Galiardi wasn't benched non-stop and Burish wasn't totally useless.

Hey, you know who would be great on this team? Charlie Coyle... err... Michael Sgarbossa...

Damnit.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Yeah, I've been upset about the team's lack of physicality ever since game one of last season when we seemingly dominated Phoenix. We were getting killed that game physically - to an absurd degree - and it worried me then.

Losing Seto hurt the physicality in the top 6, as well as speed. Having an injured Clowe of today doesn't help physicality in the top six. IMHO Marleau has been one of the most effectively physical players in the top six - funny how he is labeled soft when he was one of the only ones throwing his body around last playoffs against St Louis.

The most infuriating thing about our lack of physicality is that I believe it is partly choice - there ARE games where we are physical and it looks good. However, they are the exception rather than the norm and I too miss having forwards who will actually throw a check.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Galiardi - Wingels - Burish could be that line, if Galiardi wasn't benched non-stop and Burish wasn't totally useless.

Hey, you know who would be great on this team? Charlie Coyle... err... Michael Sgarbossa...

Damnit.
hockeyball*

Don't mention those two heartaches at once

Maybe my eyes aren't that stellar at tracking performance, but can anyone tell me why Gali was sat? Not for the extended period of time, but why he'd be taken out of the lineup even once? Doesn't seem to give up on plays. I don't notice him for turnovers. Does he just suck along the boards? I remember him doing well enough behind the opponent's net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Yeah, I've been upset about the team's lack of physicality ever since game one of last season when we seemingly dominated Phoenix. We were getting killed that game physically - to an absurd degree - and it worried me then.

Losing Seto hurt the physicality in the top 6, as well as speed. Having an injured Clowe of today doesn't help physicality in the top six. IMHO Marleau has been one of the most effectively physical players in the top six - funny how he is labeled soft when he was one of the only ones throwing his body around last playoffs against St Louis.

The most infuriating thing about our lack of physicality is that I believe it is partly choice - there ARE games where we are physical and it looks good. However, they are the exception rather than the norm and I too miss having forwards who will actually throw a check.
Marleau has been very solid at putting his weight to use in the offensive zone. He's had some damn fine hits this year. You're right that it's worth noting.

To the bolded, YES! Argh, part of me gets excited when the Sharks "get up" for a game, but the logical side of me gets pissed off that this is seen as a special occurrence. Last I checked, they still are one of the biggest teams out there. It's not like the other teams are too fast to avoid our slower guys. It just seems like they aim for the boards or peel off as soon as the puck is gone. No finish.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:

Damnit.
Charlie Coyle definitely. Sgarbossa, not so much. He reminds me of Ferriero/Kennedy. Looks like he might have to be in the Top-6 to be productive.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
24 Years of Fail

You know who's even better than Charlie Coyle? Brent Burns.

Closed Thread