HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 04:17 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
We have to trade Sam for the right player (preferabbly a two way centre with size and skill).

WE can't just trade Gagner for a 6'4'' plug with little to no hockey skill. We should just sign Brock Lesnar as our 2nd line centre because he has something that Gagner doesn't: size and ruthless aggression.
Who's going to trade their big physical two way 2nd line center for Gagner though?

Old
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
oakfield

A question I've been pondering lately... Do we WANT to make the playoffs? Sure, it would be great, and tons of fun. We'd probably get bounced in the first or second rounds but whatever. The real problem I see with making them before the team is ready is that it guarantees Tambo stays for several more years. Say we make it this year, and not next, or the year after as Tambellini refuses to build a team around the kids. He can continue to point to how they made the playoffs in 2013, and that they're aaaaaaalmost there for another 3 years.

I guess this opens a fire Tambo can of worms, which may derail the thread. Just a thought though.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
oakfield

On second thought, yes, I want to make the playoffs. I'm just wary of Tambo refusing building a team and having a reason to stick around.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post
A question I've been pondering lately... Do we WANT to make the playoffs? Sure, it would be great, and tons of fun. We'd probably get bounced in the first or second rounds but whatever. The real problem I see with making them before the team is ready is that it guarantees Tambo stays for several more years. Say we make it this year, and not next, or the year after as Tambellini refuses to build a team around the kids. He can continue to point to how they made the playoffs in 2013, and that they're aaaaaaalmost there for another 3 years.

I guess this opens a fire Tambo can of worms, which may derail the thread. Just a thought though.
If this team is good enough to make it to the second round is Tambo really an issue?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Who's going to trade their big physical two way 2nd line center for Gagner though?
a team that could is offensively challenged and need a scoring centre.

Obviously, a big physical centre would have to have much inferior skill than Gagner and less of a cerebral player.

There is a market for Gagner, hopefully we can convince the other team to give up that ideal big two way centre.

Or better yet, stick with Gagner and see how it goes.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfield View Post

Yes. No question because it shows that these guys can get there. It gives them a taste and a reward for being patient. They get to experience the fans and how much they get behind the team. They gain valuable experience instead of turning into the next bunch of Captain Canadas.....

Old
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
AM

The western playoff race is wide open.

There are only two teams that have plaaced themselves in great positions.

Everyone else is fighting for 3-8.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
SterlingArcher

We have a chance to make it. We need an upgrade on who is playing with Eberle and RNH. Defence and goaltending are going to be hard to upgrade if we don't want to trade a lot or something of solid significance.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:05 PM
40oz

Let's not turn this into a trade proposals thread, we already have one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
The western playoff race is wide open.

There are only two teams that have plaaced themselves in great positions.

Everyone else is fighting for 3-8.
Exactly, just gotta hope for 2 point games and for the team to keep it together when the scoring comes back to the kids.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Chooch

Are playoffs makeable? Yes.

Are playoffs realistic? No.

We've spent the majority of the season below the playoff cut than above and i just don't see this team being able to win enough games next month to make the playoffs since it's the last month of the regular season and all teams will be battling way harder since wins will mean way more with such little games remaining. It's also not the easiest schedule for this team next month, despite the more home games.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

Obviously, a big physical centre would have to have much inferior skill than Gagner and less of a cerebral player.

There is a market for Gagner, hopefully we can convince the other team to give up that ideal big two way centre.

If Gagner can be signed to a reasonable long-term contract--something 4.5M over 5 years, I'd be in favor of keeping him around until we find a clear upgrade through the draft or trade. Right now he's better than Nuge, IMO.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
tiger_80

The OIlers are 2 points behind the 8th. So yes, they are still very much in the hunt. A winning streak of another 3-4 games could propel them into a play-off spot. A losing streak of similar duration would put them back where the sky was falling last week.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:52 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Are playoffs makeable? Yes.

Are playoffs realistic? No.

We've spent the majority of the season below the playoff cut than above and i just don't see this team being able to win enough games next month to make the playoffs since it's the last month of the regular season and all teams will be battling way harder since wins will mean way more with such little games remaining. It's also not the easiest schedule for this team next month, despite the more home games.
Well we have 20 games to go and we have 28 points right now, i think if we win 13 of 20 games we'll have a decent shot, 13 wins equals 26 points so we'd finish with 54 points, its going to be real tough

Old
03-18-2013, 09:05 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

2 points out of the playoffs, 4 points out of the division lead, this is realistically where we should have expected to be at this time.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

LEt's see how this whole thing unfolds. I for one am excited to see how this Oilers team do. For once, the Oilers won't be eliminated with 10+ game left in the season.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
2 points out of the playoffs, 4 points out of the division lead, this is realistically where we should have expected to be at this time.
It will be 6 points in about 2 hours. Having said that, it might be possible to catch up.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
nullterm

Record Overall: 28GP - 11-11-6 for 1.00 pts/game

Record w/out Horcoff: 17GP - 4-9-4 for 0.59 pts/game

Record with Horcoff: 11GP - 7-2-2 for 1.45 pts/game

20 games remaining. Need to atleast 26 points for playoffs (12-6-2): 1.3 pts/game

Old
03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Record Overall: 28GP - 11-11-6 for 1.00 pts/game

Record w/out Horcoff: 17GP - 4-9-4 for 0.59 pts/game

Record with Horcoff: 11GP - 7-2-2 for 1.45 pts/game

20 games remaining. Need to atleast 26 points for playoffs (12-6-2): 1.3 pts/game
If I'm Tambellini I'm moving heaven and earth to try and get a serviceable NHL established centremen between now and the deadline. If Horcoff gets hurt again then we're sunk.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:01 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If I'm Tambellini I'm moving heaven and earth to try and get a serviceable NHL established centremen between now and the deadline. If Horcoff gets hurt again then we're sunk.
Words never used on hfoil. Still, for the most part he's been healthy the last few years

Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:

I can't think of any teams that fit that bill though. I don't want to trade Gagner for a 3rd line center that we're going to play in the top-6 just because he's bigger and more physical.

Can you think of any teams / players specifically?

Nice to see the Flames / Stars game end in regulation. Let's hope it's the same for the Canucks / Wild game.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:18 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If any one of Horc, Gags, Nuge, Hall or J Scultz, Smid get hurt we are sunk. Big drop off after those guys. That list doesn't mean we have depth, just how many weak points this roster has before it falls in on itself. One quality center and d-man is greatly needed.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
It will be 6 points in about 2 hours. Having said that, it might be possible to catch up.
How does that work? Did the sharks play last night?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
True, but the key today is that SJ and Pho lose in regulation. If that happens, the Oilers would be 2 back of SJ with the same # of games played, and a regulation win on Wednesday would leapfrog them on the basis of ROW. It would also leave them 2 points behind Phoenix with a game in hand going into Wednesdays game.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Everything going right tonight Stars won killing falmes games in hand Chicago winning Ducks winning Kings winning . It is possible on wendseday we could be 8th spot by beating Sharks but will we will be 12th starting that game regardless , gonna be lots of up and down emotions next month.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Everything going right tonight Stars won killing falmes games in hand Chicago winning Ducks winning Kings winning . It is possible on wendseday we could be 8th spot by beating Sharks but will we will be 12th starting that game regardless , gonna be lots of up and down emotions next month.
The bipoilerism will be at an all time era of distress. Gonna have to learn some meditation to help even it out.

Closed Thread