HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nyquist sent back to Grand Rapids (UPD: Recalled again)

Old
03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Thought there would be more rage. I'm disappointed..

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Catch 22 of having Helm back probably has something to do with the lack of rage. Plus Nyquist didn't play that great, he wasn't terrible but he looked far from comfortable this time.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
How can anyone be mad? We knew this would happen from the very start.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
detredWINgs

If ya'll haven't guessed it yet, Nyquist is the new Hudler. Babcock is going to make insurmountable demands on Nyquist to get physically bigger, fast and stronger and make him pay the price when Nyquist can't meet those demands. Babcock will play him 8 minutes a night in a non-descript role, call him out in the media for not "competing" enough, and only after a few seasons of Nyquist accumulating enough experience in the NHL (essentially via the ice time of a 9th/10th forward) will he have painstakingly adjusted enough to Babcock's liking in order to get top 6 ice time.

In the end, he won't be any bigger. He won't be much stronger. He won't be much faster. He'll simply have finally gained enough NHL experience to learn how to handle NHL level players and reduce or nullify the limiting effects of his physical stature.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Right, but it's harder for Andersson to knock the puck into the net. I guess it's all about the defense-first priority.

But even still, Nyquist-Andersson-Eaves (or somebody) would have been a balanced line with speed, skill, and some size/grit. That hardly seems like a line that's going to encounter a ton of problems in any one category.

This is sort of what I just said in the Tatar thread, but why isn't Babcock okay with hybrid lines? You put a skilled guy with some big defensive guys and let them make up for each other's weaknesses. Is that not a thing the Wings do anymore? When in doubt, more size and more defense?
Yup. The leadership has determined that this team's best chance of winning is by them buckling down and gritting out 2-1 or 1-0 wins. That doesn't leave much room for players that can't "take care of the puck" defensively in every area of the ice.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
How can anyone be mad? We knew this would happen from the very start.
Come on now, we've found far less worthy things to rage about around here. You underestimate our rageability. Maybe everyone is hung over or worn out from all the Datsyuk threads on the main board.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
RedWinger10

So stupid. I'm tired of the Red Wings and the Griffens playing catch. I still don't get why Tatar was sent back down, he was producing.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
BinCookin

The 2nd half of this season is no longer a "tryout" for Nyquist and Tatar.

I feel they have "made" next years team.

At this point it is a "tryout" for the veterans... or more so a "who will be removed battle royal" with only a few old dudes left standing.

I hope I hope.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post

At this point it is a "tryout" for the veterans... or more so a "who will be removed battle royal" with only a few old dudes left standing.

I hope I hope.
That would be nice.

I don't see Nyquist having a guaranteed spot next year, I really don't.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post

I hope I hope.
As do I, that's one of the only possible scenarios that I'd be ok with.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Tatar REALLY started showing what he could do two and a half seasons ago. There will be roster spots opening up after this year.

Tatar has consistently shown that he's better than the AHL, and can produce in the NHL, so the time is right. Unfortunately for him, with the logjam at forward, he'll have to be patient and wait for next year (or be traded).
The thing is, it's certainly not a logjam of quality NHL forwards that Kenny seems to think Tatar is stuck behind- it's a group of largely redundant plugs, a few whom could (and hopefully will) be traded at the deadline for a pick or prospects.

After seeing Gus play this year, granted in a very limited role, I don't think he was ready for the NHL game. Not sure how much of that could have been the incredibly short leash that our prospects know exists for them, but he didn't look great.

Tatar did look comfortable and productive, though. He makes this team better now (and will in future seasons). An injury-plagued season is the ideal time to work a young guy into the lineup and see if he's got the minerals for the job. Tats showed that he does, but there's too much dead weight standing in his way. That's on Holland.

Quote:
What, playing on the 3rd line with limited minutes? You're telling me that playing 1st line minutes, through the playoffs, and taking leadership roles on the team isn't going to help them progress?

I honestly can't agree with you.

Personally, I think they're better served as larger fish in a smaller pond for the moment; they'll be moved over to the bigger pond soon enough.
You can see the improvement in Andersson as his season has progressed on the third line, and I think that Tatar would have showed the same had he been left up. I do think his development would have been better served to continue to get NHL minutes against NHL competition, getting further acclimated to the speed of the game and quality of competition.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
gretskidoo

I hope they trade Nyquist as soon as possible.

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
I really think Nyquist would succeed somewhere else. It would be a bad, bad move right now.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Scratch? Trade? Waive?

I really don't care. They're not doing much for the team and I'd rather know what the hell we have in Nyquist than sit on our hands another year. Or I'd like to call up Tatar and secure a playoff spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Yep.
Bad asset management. Once Helm, Samuelsson, and maybe Bertuzzi are back, Nyquist and Tatar no longer have spots in the top-12, even after putting Eaves and Emmerton in the pressbox. And they aren't going to be benched, so then they get sent back down. And now we've lost a bunch of depth for nothing.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:03 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
They could have sent down Andersson. Instead of keeping Nyquist up and having 4 centers, they sent him down and now have 5 centers. It's likely that Andersson will play the wing now instead of Nyquist.

That doesn't seem weird to you?
No. Center depth is a good thing. And Andersson has been more effective than Nyquist was overall.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
i am not gonna say its right or wrong but it sure seems like some people have no clue what they're talking about.

what was detroit going to do? That statement almost makes it sound like they had no choice, as in no other choice. Just this one, this was it. Thats bulls... and everyone knows it.

If Nyquist or Tatar are not good enough yet to be in the NHL on THIS DRW team then thats either terrible scouting or terrible drafting or terrible development.

pro sports teams make room for good young players, regardless of how many seasons in the minors they have played to "earn" their dues.

KH had countless other options dont anyone be so ignorant to think that he did not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
They can waive scrubs like Miller/Eaves etc to make room, most likely no one will pick them up, and if someone do, it doesn't matter because Andersson, Sheahan etc can easily replace them
Prime examples of the forum disease: Over-rating prospects and under-rating established NHL talent.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Quote:
Right, but it's harder for Andersson to knock the puck into the net. I guess it's all about the defense-first priority.

But even still, Nyquist-Andersson-Eaves (or somebody) would have been a balanced line with speed, skill, and some size/grit. That hardly seems like a line that's going to encounter a ton of problems in any one category.

This is sort of what I just said in the Tatar thread, but why isn't Babcock okay with hybrid lines? You put a skilled guy with some big defensive guys and let them make up for each other's weaknesses. Is that not a thing the Wings do anymore? When in doubt, more size and more defense?
THIS. I've been saying this for a long time now, but our philosophy behind line construction seems to have changed a bit since Scotty left the organization. Does anyone not remember when we used to trot out lines like this beauty from '97:
McCarty - Yzerman - Sandstrom? Babcock likes the idea of "defense by committee" so I don't know why he is so rigid on his offensive philosophy.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
If the Wings go after Smid I could see Nyquist being part of a package deal for him.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Nyquist for Smid?

Brutal. Smid is barely worth a secondary prospect, let alone a top one.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Nyquist for Smid?

Yeah, our great #2 overall prospect who is nearly 24 and can't win a spot in the worst Red Wings lineup since he was born... he's worth a legit top pairing defense.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Prime examples of the forum disease: Over-rating prospects and under-rating established NHL talent.
Prime example of company-line-disease... Defend whatever the company says, no matter how stupid it is....

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Filppula is most likely walking this summer. Datsyuk's most likely gone the next summer. Most likely we're going to be down 2 top 6 forwards by the 14-15 season.

Having Tatar and Nyquist up this year over guys like Cleary/Miller/Eaves helps make that transition easier, while not really hurting the team much at all in the present.

You guys have to look a couple steps ahead here. Having Dan Cleary and Drew Miller playing isn't going to make us any better in 2-3 years. Same with signing Bertuzzi and Sammy who are both past their expiration date. These guys should have had spots at the start of the year.

Just like we missed the boat on playing Smith on a roster with Lidstrom, let's not miss the boat on having tatar and nyquist learn from dats and z. Every minute they can spend up learning from those guys is way more valuable than playing against crap in the AHL.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Nyquist for Smid?

Prime example of overrating teams own prospect and under rating established NHL players.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Prime example of overrating teams own prospect and under rating established NHL players.
A prime example of overrating another team's established NHLer who is the season's hottest rumor mill fodder.

I can't believe how quickly Smid has become overrated.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
A prime example of overrating another team's established NHLer who is the season's hottest rumor mill fodder.

I can't believe how quickly Smid has become overrated.
I was being sarcastic because of one his earlier posts. Can't do the sarcasm thingy on my phone.