HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will/Should the Blue Jackets Change Their Playing Style?

Old
03-17-2013, 08:24 PM
eljefe72

vCash: 500
Will/Should the Blue Jackets Change Their Playing Style?

Now that the Jackets are officially going to the Eastern Conference next year, do you think the Jackets will/should change their playing style?

It's generally recognized that the EC is a little more free flowing while the WC is more physical and in your face. That being said, would the Jackets struggle if they don't adjust their playing style somewhat? WC teams seem to do fairly well against EC teams, and the Jackets in particular have in the past.

I'm just curious about what peoples' opinions are about which direction the Jackets should take (other than a winning one ) once they start playing in the EC.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:30 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe72 View Post
Now that the Jackets are officially going to the Eastern Conference next year, do you think the Jackets will/should change their playing style?

It's generally recognized that the EC is a little more free flowing while the WC is more physical and in your face. That being said, would the Jackets struggle if they don't adjust their playing style somewhat? WC teams seem to do fairly well against EC teams, and the Jackets in particular have in the past.

I'm just curious about what peoples' opinions are about which direction the Jackets should take (other than a winning one ) once they start playing in the EC.
I don't necessarily believe anything should be changed unless the personnel dictate it.

New Jersey and Montreal are playing similar styles with much success currently.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe72 View Post

No.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:43 PM
EspenK

I'm not sure their style should change on D it seems to be working fine right now. How it does against eastern teams will be determined.

But, and this is a big one, imo they have to change their offensive style from 5 guys scurrying around chasing the puck to something that resembles an offense. I was watching the Pitt-Boston game today and i could see players getting into position for passes, rebounds, slowing it down a bit, etc. I don't think we will do well in the East without a much improved offense. Whether we have the talent to do so is questionable in my mind.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:03 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'm not sure their style should change on D it seems to be working fine right now. How it does against eastern teams will be determined.

But, and this is a big one, imo they have to change their offensive style from 5 guys scurrying around chasing the puck to something that resembles an offense. I was watching the Pitt-Boston game today and i could see players getting into position for passes, rebounds, slowing it down a bit, etc. I don't think we will do well in the East without a much improved offense. Whether we have the talent to do so is questionable in my mind.
I saw that game too, and I remember the announcers commenting that the Pens' and Bruins' players always have their sticks in the ready position to score a goal because you never know when the puck is going to come to you.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Good teams always play their game, and make their opponents adapt to them. The Penguins played the Boston Bruins today, and let Zdeno Chara match up with Sidney Crosby all day ... and it didn't wind up mattering, as Sid scored the eventual game-winner.

If the Bruins had played Zdeno Chara as they regularly would, I'm of the belief that they may have been better off ... he's no help pinned into his own end. I like our no-frills style now, I like the fact that we make defenders pay when they touch the puck. I say keep it, and make the other team protect their defense from our hard hitting forwards.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:33 PM
blahblah

Nope. That is all.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
For the most part in your face checking and Bobrovsky are the reasons the CBJ are doing well... There’s no reason to change that but there is little (some but not much) hope of any team making the playoffs in any division that only average 2.07 goals per game-that must change.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:25 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Good teams always play their game, and make their opponents adapt to them. The Penguins played the Boston Bruins today, and let Zdeno Chara match up with Sidney Crosby all day ... and it didn't wind up mattering, as Sid scored the eventual game-winner.

If the Bruins had played Zdeno Chara as they regularly would, I'm of the belief that they may have been better off ... he's no help pinned into his own end. I like our no-frills style now, I like the fact that we make defenders pay when they touch the puck. I say keep it, and make the other team protect their defense from our hard hitting forwards.
That was Joe Vitale. Sid scored to make it 1-0, Seguin tied it and Vitale scored the game-winner.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:25 AM
JacketsDavid

I've always argued that the likely way for the CBJ to have success is from the net out, defensive team. Now that could change if we happened to win a lottery and got a Crosby and Malkin, etc.
But in my view even if we had a god offensive team I think over time that costs a lot of money to hold onto. Other teams pay for goal scorers.
That is the style we are playing, that is the style we played when we were actually average (for 1 season in our history) and I'm hoping that's the way we continue to plan.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Skraut

I think eventually their play style will have to change, but not due to the conference change.

Look at the Rangers and Blues this season. Last season both had awesome regular seasons, and went deep in the playoffs because they had hard working teams driven hard by taskmaster coaches that played as a unit, blocked shots, and had distributed scoring throughout the lineup.

This season, both are struggling compared to expectations because that work level can't be maintained indefinitely. Eventually it wears on the players, and you do need skill to win.

(then again, looking at the Predators, maybe I'm all wrong.)

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
What is our style? Working hard all over the ice? That plays well everywhere.

Besides, we dictate to the East, not the other way around.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I think eventually their play style will have to change, but not due to the conference change.

Look at the Rangers and Blues this season. Last season both had awesome regular seasons, and went deep in the playoffs because they had hard working teams driven hard by taskmaster coaches that played as a unit, blocked shots, and had distributed scoring throughout the lineup.

This season, both are struggling compared to expectations because that work level can't be maintained indefinitely. Eventually it wears on the players, and you do need skill to win.

Have you seen how the Preds are doing right now? It's kind of ugly.

Then again, their blueline has been worn extremely thin with Suter's bait-and-switch. Josi's awesome but he doesn't move the puck the way Suter did, and guys like Ellis and Blum aren't ready for the roles they're having to take. And the backup substitutes are bottom-pairing types.

Next year ought to be better down there, but right now they're despairing.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Have you seen how the Preds are doing right now? It's kind of ugly.

Then again, their blueline has been worn extremely thin with Suter's bait-and-switch. Josi's awesome but he doesn't move the puck the way Suter did, and guys like Ellis and Blum aren't ready for the roles they're having to take. And the backup substitutes are bottom-pairing types.

Next year ought to be better down there, but right now they're despairing.
Agreed, but they've been playing a hard nosed grinding style and having success consistently for a decade, as opposed to the 2 I mentioned in the post which did it for a season or two then struggled.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:56 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Let's not forget that the Blues have had major issues in goal tending and the Rangers traded a couple of key players in that system.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Nope. That is all.
Pretty much.

**** the other 29 teams. Hit harder. Skate harder. Try harder. Be more awesome.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Socks
HeadFake

I've sort of been figuring that the playing style has been a result of the roster and (sorry Viq) LOFT. We don't have the high-scoring forwards who can freewheel all over the ice so we've had to adapt to this in-your-face, grinding style to have any kind of success. It's been working so I say don't change things up unless we have to, except to add in some offense.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
I've sort of been figuring that the playing style has been a result of the roster and (sorry Viq) LOFT. We don't have the high-scoring forwards who can freewheel all over the ice so we've had to adapt to this in-your-face, grinding style to have any kind of success. It's been working so I say don't change things up unless we have to, except to add in some offense.
while I agree with your statement regarding the defensive style, I continue to believe we have to add some offensive talent. Otherwise at best we are a Preds-like team who may grind into the playoffs as long as Bob plays like Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy but not be a serious contender. A 2 goal a game team will not cut it long term.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
while I agree with your statement regarding the defensive style, I continue to believe we have to add some offensive talent. Otherwise at best we are a Preds-like team who may grind into the playoffs as long as Bob plays like Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy but not be a serious contender. A 2 goal a game team will not cut it long term.
Sorry, I must not have been clear. That's what I mean. Continue playing how we are but add some offensive punch. Now if adding in the offense causes us to re-evaluate our playing style then ok, although I like how we are playing now, but obviously we need more goal support.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
Sorry, I must not have been clear. That's what I mean. Continue playing how we are but add some offensive punch. Now if adding in the offense causes us to re-evaluate our playing style then ok, although I like how we are playing now, but obviously we need more goal support.
Six of one, 1/2 dozen of another. We agree.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

They need to change their game in the offensive zone. I think that seems to be the consensus around here. 2 goals in the last 3 games is kind of embarrassing.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
They need to change their game in the offensive zone. I think that seems to be the consensus around here. 2 goals in the last 3 games is kind of embarrassing.
To me, the change needed is more in personnel and development than it is their game. The opportunities are there, there just aren't enough finishers.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I give Richards a ton of credit (in addition to Bob) for the current run but one thing Richards must stress (if he wants to make the playoffs) is to fix the power play...

When a team (CBJ) can hold opponents to scoring 1.5 goals or less per game the importance of the CBJ scoring on the PP is magnified 100%...

The Jackets must be coached on how to score when having the advantage, this is key to making the playoffs if Bob and the team defense continues to play so well....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
To me, the change needed is more in personnel and development than it is their game. The opportunities are there, there just aren't enough finishers.
Maybe but their game is much too chippy. The passing is anything but crisp and clean. Too often it's off the mark, the puck is on edge, or they just put it in an opposing player's skates.

They need to open it up and complete passes like professional hockey players are expected to do. Not every pass, mind you, but the puck shouldn't look like a rubber ball they keep swatting at with their sticks.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
More finishers and better offensive players who will create more opportunities. With the D and if Bob stays close to his recent play that would be a great team.