HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM

vCash: 500
Pysyk making NHL debut tonight against the Capitals

Old
03-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Pysyk making NHL debut tonight against the Capitals
Thanks, looking forward to seeing how he'll do

It's on TSN at 5pm if anyone is wondering.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Brewster

Amazing goal by Lazar tonight. Started from behind his own net and went coast to coast. Funny thing is he actually didn't really make any moves, he just blew by everyone wide and flipped it into the empty net after a failed pokecheck attempt by Pouliot.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Amazing goal by Lazar tonight. Started from behind his own net and went coast to coast. Funny thing is he actually didn't really make any moves, he just blew by everyone wide and flipped it into the empty net after a failed pokecheck attempt by Pouliot.
That cant be. Lazar isnt fast and he doesnt has questionable offensive upside.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:37 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It should also be noted that it was almost a full house tonight (16,370).
thats great

Old
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Brewster

Quote:
That's an exaggeration. I swear there weren't that many people.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:44 PM
40oz

Ouch, Pysyk just got schooled by Matthew Perreault.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
DIBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
That's an exaggeration. I swear there weren't that many people.
Quote:
If I were to guess that was the paid attendance, from where we were sitting, there was scattered seats every where, I would guess more around 10-11k. Typical Oil Kings numbers, not sure why they can't draw more, great hockey as always.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
If I were to guess that was the paid attendance, from where we were sitting, there was scattered seats every where, I would guess more around 10-11k. Typical Oil Kings numbers, not sure why they can't draw more, great hockey as always.
I'd agree with those numbers. Maybe 12000 if a bunch of the leprechauns were down on the concourse with their parents during play, but there were way too many open seats to be anywhere close to 16000.

Lazar's goal was awesome, but not the best poke check from Pouliot as was mentioned to make for a not too difficult tuck in to the open cage. It would still be impressive to scouts in the stands though. Lazar was one of the few guys that was really engaged for a somewhat meaningless game, and his play without the puck is so impressive. I saw a number of occasions where Lazar put himself in a great position where the best play was for his teammate to pass him the puck and they kept it instead, often with mediocre results. Once he's playing with NHL players I think he'll be that much better.

Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, and maaaaybe Zadorov are the only players I'd take ahead of Lazar at this point.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I feel bad, but I think Friday is going to be my first Oil Kings game. Although if I don't make it Sunday is looking a good day to check them out.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:47 AM
DIBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, and maaaaybe Zadorov are the only players I'd take ahead of Lazar at this point.
I haven't watched any of the others in game, so it's hard to compare. But from watching Lazar step up in last year’s playoffs, I was raving about the kid then, He has great speed, solid hands, his shot seems to go game to game from when he wants to rifle it. I think he has a huge upside, how huge not sure, I think consistency is still his biggest issue. Some nights he seems to take a while to get going, but put the game in the 3rd, and make it somewhat close, he usually takes over.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
I am the Liquor

Shaw is televising the Blades/Tigers series in the first round.

Quote:
Ron Robison, Commissioner of the Western Hockey League, announced today that the entire first round series of the 2013 WHL Playoffs between the 2013 WHL East Division Champion Saskatoon Blades (2) and the Medicine Hat Tigers (7) will be televised LIVE on SHAW Channel 304 and SHAW Direct Channel 299 throughout Western Canada.
http://www.whl.ca/article/2013-whl-p...shaw-round-one

Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
lopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Shaw is televising the Blades/Tigers series in the first round.

http://www.whl.ca/article/2013-whl-p...shaw-round-one
Have to promote the Memorial Cup hosts I guess.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Have to promote the Memorial Cup hosts I guess.
Hopefully they show the Oil King's series in the second round, should they get there.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
MoneyGuy

OKs go up against one of the league's hottest teams in the last half of the schedule. This series won't be a sweep like last year. In fact, Kootenay is capable of winning it. Can't wait for Friday. Go, Kings.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Lacaar

My first game of the year was also their last game of the year. Definately agree there were really only around 11k people there. Was a fun time.

Lazar's goal was nice to see. looked like a jet fighter coming in as I was sitting in the corner of the goal.

My only complaint was the LRT wait after. 25 min wait for the train after the game. Massive line up to get a ticket as they don't have the coin dop offs out. I've learned to never take the train to an Oil Kings game. bleep the environment.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
My first game of the year was also their last game of the year. Definately agree there were really only around 11k people there. Was a fun time.

Lazar's goal was nice to see. looked like a jet fighter coming in as I was sitting in the corner of the goal.

My only complaint was the LRT wait after. 25 min wait for the train after the game. Massive line up to get a ticket as they don't have the coin dop offs out. I've learned to never take the train to an Oil Kings game. bleep the environment.
Yup. I learned that lesson the hard way last year waiting for 15min for a train to come after the game in -30 with a strong wind.

Mark Pysyk is playing on TSN tonight. Looks pretty good so far.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
I would say 13000.

I am quite interested to see how the Oil Kings will handle these pesky Ice. They have a great chance to beat us, whereas last year I really wasn't overly concerned when we met them in round 1. Should be a barnburner!

Just saw that Nic Petan tied for the WHL scoring crown with 120 points in 71 games. If you had told me before the season that a 17 year old would lead the Western League in production and only be considered a borderline first rounder, I would have called you crazy. Where the hell does Portland find these guys?

For the televised series, I will say the Blades will win a sweep.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
40oz

Pysyk started OT for the Sabres, drew a penalty which led to that game winner too. (Bad high sticking call on PK Subban that never actually made contact, Pysyk didn't sell it though)

Old
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Does anyone think the Oil should invite Dylan Wruck to camp next year even if its just to sign him to an AHL type contract. Yes I know he is small, but his numbers are great and he doesn't play a perimeter type game.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
DIBZ

I really hope the Oil Kings come into this year’s playoffs playing a more rounded game, last year they flat out walked all over everybody all year(so record and stats would suggest) but when it came to the playoffs, they always took way too long to get going, LB basically stole us/kept us in most games until this team woke up. I love that the Kings seem more physical this year, We may not be able to score 6-7 goals to bail us out of some of the mistakes, but I do think we have a better team built for a long run. With that being said, I know Kootenay is no slouch, and I thought they came into last year’s playoffs on a bit of a streak too, they played us well last year, considering, on paper it should have been a complete mismatch, after a while you knew the Kings would wake up in every game, I hope they scratch that philosophy this year, and come out a lot more aggressive early in games and establish themselves.

Unfortunately this year I didn't by the playoff pass. Which sucks, but I am still hoping for a long playoff run.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:31 PM
40oz

Playoff hockey!

Calgary was up 4 zip but Speedy Creek has come storming back with 3 unanswered goals.
Shinkaruk and crew are up 2-0 on the Mem Cup hosts.
Both games are in the 2nd.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:16 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Playoff hockey!

Calgary was up 4 zip but Speedy Creek has come storming back with 3 unanswered goals.
Shinkaruk and crew are up 2-0 on the Mem Cup hosts.
Both games are in the 2nd.
Calgary wins in OT 6-5
Med Hat wins 4-1

Thought the Blades were going to sweep.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:17 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Over the last three years he has steadily grown on me. This year has been his strongest year by far.
Lowe won the team MVP and named Eastern Conference 2nd team all-star.

http://www.oilkings.ca/article/three...ence-all-stars

Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Does anyone think the Oil should invite Dylan Wruck to camp next year even if its just to sign him to an AHL type contract. Yes I know he is small, but his numbers are great and he doesn't play a perimeter type game.
Well, lets just try development camp for starters and then go from there. I think he was at Sharks training camp last year. He's going to be at one again I'm guessing, scoring 80+ points in the WHL doesn't exactly make you a secret. You can also bet your ass the University of Saskatchewan will be recruiting his ass off, and probably Alberta as well.

Closed Thread