HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jovo's big announcement today

Old
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
To be fair, the Panthers organization never said anything about a "big announcement". This was all started by Harvey speculating that there might be a "big announcement", not that there every was going to be one.

-ghoste
Exactly, all Dineen said was that he would make an announcement on Jovo's injury status today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Why havent beatwriters tweeted this? Im waiting for GR...
David Neal is filling in for GR today and he tweeted the same news. Out indef with lower body, update in 8 days.
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidJNeal

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Can wee get a new beat writer..?

This is ridiculous. We should have know it before.

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Boooooth10

vCash: 500
Quote:
To be fair, the Panthers organization never said anything about a "big announcement". This was all started by Harvey speculating that there might be a "big announcement", not that there ever was going to be one.

-ghoste
Ugh, I really don't like Harvey at all.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:41 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Or he wants to get paid for the remainder of the season and then retire.
Can somebody explain to me why in the hell Jovo would retire? There in no way in hell he's going to leave 8 million dollars on the table that is a huge amount of cash. I could see him being like Pronger long term injury but why would you give up 8 million its stupid. I wouldn't do it. Not his fault the Panthers gave him a stupid contract. They better hope his hip injury is career ending if they want him to retire otherwise he's going to be here, and the Panthers are going to be paying him.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
Can somebody explain to me why in the hell Jovo would retire? There in no way in hell he's going to leave 8 million dollars on the table that is a huge amount of cash. I could see him being like Pronger long term injury but why would you give up 8 million its stupid. I wouldn't do it. Not his fault the Panthers gave him a stupid contract. They better hope his hip injury is career ending if they want him to retire otherwise he's going to be here, and the Panthers are going to be paying him.
He would retire if he just can't physically play anymore...surgery rehab etc may just be overwhelming too much and they may reach "a deal".

“@DanSpiegel: Dan Spiegel Sports at http://t.co/MReWRtD79K - Something Is Up With Jovanovski http://t.co/Tt1x0FbJi9 #flapanthers #NHL”

"Quick hit here, but rumors are swirling that veteran Ed Jovanovski is likely out for the year with what has been a long-term knee injury. But the bigger rumors are if this lingering problem may lead to his retirement as well...."

Last edited by adam graves: 03-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
He would retire if he just can't physically play anymore...surgery rehab etc may just be overwhelming too much and they may reach "a deal".

“@DanSpiegel: Dan Spiegel Sports at http://t.co/MReWRtD79K - Something Is Up With Jovanovski http://t.co/Tt1x0FbJi9 #flapanthers #NHL”

"Quick hit here, but rumors are swirling that veteran Ed Jovanovski is likely out for the year with what has been a long-term knee injury. But the bigger rumors are if this lingering problem may lead to his retirement as well...."
But if he can't play because of injury he should still get his money. I would understand that but I just don't see him retiring because he's tired. Maybe he is that beat up and worn down but 8 million is a lot to give up.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
But if he can't play because of injury he should still get his money. I would understand that but I just don't see him retiring because he's tired. Maybe he is that beat up and worn down but 8 million is a lot to give up.
Insurance and Panthers would pay it?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:35 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Giving Jovo the C' at the beginning of the year was nothing more than a " hockey old boys" mentality move at best. Being a coach myself and working within club/school organizations I felt it sent the wrong message right away. You had the "lifer" in Weiss waiting in the wings; and if you don't like the Weiss argument... you had Campbell "the best player option" ready to likely take on that commitment as well.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
you saying you think he"ll skate this season?
I'm saying he's going to be a part of the team and he's going to try to get out there again if at all possible (even though unlikely).

He probably wants to go out in style. With a game as his retirement game. Who wants to retire from the sideline?

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
in the end...they both suck.
I like GR's writing style, and I feel like he's responsible about reporting. Fialkov is a hack.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:59 PM
FrolikFan67

if we were to use a compliance buyout on someone with a 35+ contract (jovo), would his cap hit still count against the cap (4.125 for the next 2 years), or would we just owe him the 1.375 for the next 4 years?

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:41 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
if we were to use a compliance buyout on someone with a 35+ contract (jovo), would his cap hit still count against the cap (4.125 for the next 2 years), or would we just owe him the 1.375 for the next 4 years?
I was kinda puzzled by that too, since I remember in the past trying to buy out a +35 contract on capgeek and it would say that a +35 contract would have to keep the whole caphit for the duration of the contract even if it's bought out, so for example if Jovo was bought out after this season the caphit would go 4-4-0-0 for 4 years.

Maybe they've kept everything else the same about the +35 rule except for that?

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:47 AM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Or he wants to get paid for the remainder of the season and then retire.
Pretty sure they could reach some kind of deal where he would still get paid the rest of the year then retire. What's the difference, really? Out for the year then retire or just retire? Does anyone know if a deal like that has been done before? I mean it's JoVo. He's been loyal to this franchise for years. I'm sure we would accommodate him.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I was kinda puzzled by that too, since I remember in the past trying to buy out a +35 contract on capgeek and it would say that a +35 contract would have to keep the whole caphit for the duration of the contract even if it's bought out, so for example if Jovo was bought out after this season the caphit would go 4-4-0-0 for 4 years.

Maybe they've kept everything else the same about the +35 rule except for that?
Nothing has changed in that regard. There's zero reason to buyout a guy on a 35+ contract because you're still owing him the same amount and the full cap hit remains. Jovo will retire when its time (most likely after this season) and we'll just be stuck with his cap hit for another 2 yrs which isnt a bad thing for us at all (just dont have to pay him that money).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:58 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Nothing has changed in that regard. There's zero reason to buyout a guy on a 35+ contract because you're still owing him the same amount and the full cap hit remains. Jovo will retire when its time (most likely after this season) and we'll just be stuck with his cap hit for another 2 yrs which isnt a bad thing for us at all (just dont have to pay him that money).
Handled poorly by org. Telling press there will be "an announcement" was frivolous since injuries are never handled with that language and are always cloaked. The announcement quote unfairly had reporters and fans confused.

Try that crap up north and the org would have been fried.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Do you know if they can re-structure his contract so we can take a bit off the cap hit for the next 2 years? I know we wouldn't have to pay him the actual money but $4million for the next two years is alot of cap room we could desperately use elsewhere.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:50 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
Do you know if they can re-structure his contract so we can take a bit off the cap hit for the next 2 years? I know we wouldn't have to pay him the actual money but $4million for the next two years is alot of cap room we could desperately use elsewhere.
I might be wrong here but, if we're not spending to cap ceiling (which we aren't any time soon) it doesn't matter if we carry Jovo's cap for 2 more years.
If anything it helps us from the cap floor?

Would've been another story if we were close to cap ceiling.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Insurance and Panthers would pay it?

JOL
If he remains on IR for another X years he'll receive his money. If he officially retires he'll get none of it.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
It doesn't matter. We'll be well below the cap ceiling.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Didn't Nieuwendyk retire mid-season? Hope he takes a page out of that guys book of class.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Handled poorly by org. Telling press there will be "an announcement" was frivolous since injuries are never handled with that language and are always cloaked. The announcement quote unfairly had reporters and fans confused.

Try that crap up north and the org would have been fried.
This all stemmed from Harvey's own hunch. In fact, a Mod should re-title this thread since the organization never said anything about a "big announcement". It's very misleading.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:16 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
He just came back from surgery in Germany, I don't think he'll be retiring just yet. If he gets re-injured though I'd expect the boots to be hung, gotta look at quality of life at that point.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:21 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
This all stemmed from Harvey's own hunch. In fact, a Mod should re-title this thread since the organization never said anything about a "big announcement". It's very misleading.

-ghoste
I dont think it was a hunch. Again, the panthers dont make injury "anouncements". They didnt say there would be an "anouncement" on Weiss...Tallon just popped up and said he was done, for example.
To say there would be an anouncement as they did here is misleading. (Im speculating something more was going to be said, and then retracted.) I actually think Harvey was doing his job by running a little with it. I dont need someone who just parrots what panthers.com says.