HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Tomb Raider 2013

Old
03-15-2013, 11:53 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

vCash: 500
I just saw this thematic review of the game, which pointed out a few things that I wasn't thinking about during my playthrough.

Most notably:

Quote:
In order to escape the building, Lara finds a way to destroy the support beams holding up a large bell so that it can fall through the floor and create a way out. With these beams damaged, the wind rips the building apart and blows Lara over the edge of the new hole in the floor. She lands on a small island in an underground lake.

(Lara's character climax. She emerges from this cave as Lara Croft, Tomb Raider.)

The ceremony is complete.

Note the parallels between the camera shot and the painting. The sun rays representing the Sun Queen, the water that pours from the light, the water surrounding the woman in each, and the darkness in the background. This is some really great stuff, here. It's rare that we see direction like this in a game, especially one that's part of a franchise, where the "art" of a game is usually sacrificed for the sake of gameplay. As I've said, though, I find this game to be very solid in terms of its narrative and its themes.
It also discusses the themes of fire and water - how water represents everything that Lara can't control, while fire is the manifestation of the things she can control.

http://youngmelonworld.blogspot.com/...mb-raider.html

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

That's quite interesting. I never noticed it myself. Anyways, I completed the game finally and quite enjoyed it. I thought it was perfect.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Hmm, multiplayer mode available. What's it like?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Absolutely loved it. I definitely would've approved of more, and harder, puzzles (and in the case of tombs bigger ones), but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game.
Also, best cover system ever AINEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Hmm, multiplayer mode available. What's it like?
Apparently pretty bad.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

One thing I really loved is how scrappy the combat felt. The two-hit combo with the axe, that second hit, Lara really throws everything she has into it. My favorite is how one of the first upgrades you can get is the "dirt in the face" scramble - it really fit perfectly with the survivalist theme and using the environment any way possible.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I thought they modeled Lara after Jennifer Lawrence. But I guess she is just the splitting image of her voice actress.

And I am exactly 2 days older than her. TAKE THAT LARA!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
I thought they modeled Lara after Jennifer Lawrence. But I guess she is just the splitting image of her voice actress.

I'm convinced that it's actually Laura.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post

It is just coincidence that her voice actress looks the part, though Camilla did do the motion/performance capture work for Lara in the game. Camilla Luddington, Lara's voice actress:

However, the 2013 Lara Croft model, according to Tomb Raider - The Final Hours, was modeled after Megan Farquhar (for a side-by-side comparison, click the link below, the picture is too big to post here):

http://cdn2.steampowered.com/v/gfx/a...g?t=1362678987

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:03 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

One of the few faults I have with the game is that the island seems so empty once you beat the story. I wish you could go back and find more then 2-3 enemies at once.

Also, I just read that Yamatai and Queen Himiko were real although their location (as in the game) is not clear.

http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com...-queen-himiko/

http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com...-headquarters/

Last edited by yakitate304: 03-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
One of the few faults I have with the game is that the island seems so empty once you beat the story. I wish you could go back and find more then 2-3 enemies at once.

Also, I just read that Yamatai and Queen Himiko were real although their location (as in the game) is not clear.

http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com...-queen-himiko/

http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com...-headquarters/
Heh, I was thinking the same. The world is pretty dead =/ Would be nice if you can have fights against mobs of enemies like you did in the campaign or have some way to load certain scenarios, like having to defend an area against a flood of enemies, etc... More chances to use all these fully upgraded weapons.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:37 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Heh, I was thinking the same. The world is pretty dead =/ Would be nice if you can have fights against mobs of enemies like you did in the campaign or have some way to load certain scenarios, like having to defend an area against a flood of enemies, etc... More chances to use all these fully upgraded weapons.
I mentioned it before, but if they put in DLC for an extra mode like Arkham Asylum/City did I would definitely buy it.

There were a few different things you could do...

-Fight waves of enemies that get more difficult
-Have to clear out a room as quickly as possible, generally using stealth and meeting certain requirements (ie. take someone out by blowing up this ceiling while they're under it)

They could add those, and also some puzzle tombs. I'd like to see much more complex ones, where there are far more "parts" that you have to use, and you have to use them in a certain order.

I'd also like to see a "Survivor" difficulty where you can only use "Survivor Instincts" once every few minutes and either don't have regenerating health (heal at camps and by hunting) or have very very little HP to the extent that getting shot twice is pretty much all you can take.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:42 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I'd also like to see a "Survivor" difficulty where you can only use "Survivor Instincts" once every few minutes and either don't have regenerating health (heal at camps and by hunting) or have very very little HP to the extent that getting shot twice is pretty much all you can take.
I'm almost certain they originally planned something like this. The food crates and plants lying around giving you 20 XP is absolutely pointless.
I really dislike the regenerating health system in any game.

Random note: Everytime I heard Roth speak I couldn't help but picture Brynjolf (Skyrim). I kept expecting him calling Lara 'lass'.

Last edited by nevermore: 03-19-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 10:43 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I'm almost certain they originally planned something like this. The food crates and plants lying around giving you 20 XP is absolutely pointless.
I really dislike the regenerating health system in any game.

Random note: Everytime I heard Roth speak I couldn't help but picture Brynjolf (Skyrim). I kept expecting him calling Lara 'lass'.
I guess they felt that it would slow the game down too much.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
After reading a few reviews, I downloaded the game last night on Steam. Pretty excited to play tonight.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

The developers are doing an AMA on ****** right now:

http://www.***********/r/IAmA/comment..._director_for/

Old
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

This game is bad ass.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Haha holy, if you're not playing this game because you think it's the same old childish Tomb Raider, you need to reevaluate it immediately. This game is freaking awesome and about 200x more visceral / intense that I thought it would be. The entire first leg I think my heart rate was at like 150.

I also agree with Kotaku; the bow is awesome, especially on PC. Aiming / firing / strafing at the same time has never been smoother / easier.

Love it thus far; only wish is that they expanded the armor / loot. The salvage system and weapons upgrades are cool, but I'd love if they added more peripherals like a Zelda game. For example, an upgradeable body armor, better lighting tools (torch > spelunker helmut > LED something or other). Salvage points are important because the upgrades are cool / useful, but the game really lacks the "Hmm I wonder what is in this chest / crate / etc." that really enhances the loot experience. I'd love to find a pair of new combat boots that enhances speed/evasion by 10% or a cloak that improves stealth or whatever.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Haha holy, if you're not playing this game because you think it's the same old childish Tomb Raider, you need to reevaluate it immediately. This game is freaking awesome and about 200x more visceral / intense that I thought it would be. The entire first leg I think my heart rate was at like 150.

I also agree with Kotaku; the bow is awesome, especially on PC. Aiming / firing / strafing at the same time has never been smoother / easier.

Love it thus far; only wish is that they expanded the armor / loot. The salvage system and weapons upgrades are cool, but I'd love if they added more peripherals like a Zelda game. For example, an upgradeable body armor, better lighting tools (torch > spelunker helmut > LED something or other). Salvage points are important because the upgrades are cool / useful, but the game really lacks the "Hmm I wonder what is in this chest / crate / etc." that really enhances the loot experience. I'd love to find a pair of new combat boots that enhances speed/evasion by 10% or a cloak that improves stealth or whatever.
The thing that would have put the game COMPLETELY OVER THE TOP for me would be a hunger system. There's no meter or HUD to show your hunger, but as you go longer without food from hunting, finding berries, or food caches, you would start to notice it.

-Slightly weaker jumps, meaning that you have to do the "quicktime grab" far more frequently and sometimes even a second quicktime after making your first grab. Just something that really stresses that you're getting weaker and tired. You can still get everywhere you need to go, but you'll have to really be sharp when it comes to the QTEs.
-Slower movement and climbing speed
-Shakier aim with your guns/bow. Also, as you get really tired it takes longer to pull your bow back for a full power shot.
-The scramble and roll have a longer "recovery" period.
-You can only use "survival instincts" once every few minutes

I think those things would have really stressed the "survivor" theme of the game.

During the "Ask me anything" with the Tomb Raider devs, I asked if there was ever a Hunger system and they said there was, but it was scrapped because it didn't make for a good gameplay loop.

Regarding lighting tools (spelunking equipment, etc.) I got the impression that they really wanted it to be an environmental, natural game. Like the link I posted earlier in the threat mentioned, it's sort of a water vs. fire theme where the water is everything that Lara can't control, while the fire represents the things she can control. I really liked the torch system and think that having flashlights or things of that nature would have seemed out of place in the game's design. As for body armor... I think they just wanted to keep Lara in her slowly deteriorating tanktop.

Old
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Well you guys convinced me to add the game to my Steam wishlist

It'll be 40-50% off in 4 or 5 months so I'll get it then

I love Steam so much (Far Cry 3 40% was sweet)

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Saw a review and it looked funny. "Omg i am so sorry for killing you, deer"

Moments later... she slaugheters hundreds of people

Everlasting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
There are currently no plans in place for any Single Player expansions. All of our DLC is based around the Multiplayer experience for now.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Kind of sucks, given that the multiplayer is nothing special and clearly got very little of their attention in development, but not a big deal since they are going straight to the next game.

We always complain about games adding features later and having separate DLC's. I can't say I would be disappointed in them just creating the next game and having it out sooner rather than adding more DLC's to augment the first game.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:47 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Kind of sucks, given that the multiplayer is nothing special and clearly got very little of their attention in development, but not a big deal since they are going straight to the next game.

We always complain about games adding features later and having separate DLC's. I can't say I would be disappointed in them just creating the next game and having it out sooner rather than adding more DLC's to augment the first game.
True enough. And since the MP is done by Eidos Montreal and not CD it's not like they're waisting resources there.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

While new single player dlc would be awesome( I'd definitely buy them) I'm not disappointed at all. The game left me completely satisfied.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:08 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I'm replaying the game on Hard, and am not going to be upgrading the Hit Points one... So far it's not too bad, although I died a few times in Shantytown.