HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Why has it not happend yet? It should be their goal right, to get the best players to create the best league. Seems they are doing a very bad job of destroying SEL, even though they could whenever they wanted.
Everything has its time. That is the answer. KHL does not have team in Scandinavia yet, but try to establish one or two. If club from Norway joined KHL, it would start domino effect ... finns, danes would like to join as well, maybe swedes. That is a long-term strategy, not for 2-3 yrs. Look at Slovakia and Czech rep, 1st info of joining KHL was in 2009 (Karlovy Vary), next year failed Lev Hradec Kralove, Lev Poprad failed to join in first attempt. Lev Poprad played 11/12 season but was abandoned, replaced by Slovan and Lev Praha - mission completed!

KHL wanted AIK to join, failed, swedish federation was and still is against. So, KHL changed strategy, does not want to lure swedish clubs anymore, but clubs from Finland, Norway, maybe Denmark. First info about dannish club was year or two ago. Nothing serious. First info was last year (btw why does Kurri play for russian team of veterans called Gazprom Export? Is he finnish Schroeder?). First info of Stavanger is newest, only a few days. Now look at my previous words about Czech rep - first in in 2009.. lets wait 4-5 yrs, maybe we will have club from Norway in KHL in 2018.

All nations are different. I recommend you to study russian foreing policy in 20th century, you will find out how Russians think/plan. They dont plan for 2-3 yrs, but for 30+yrs. I can see the same logic in KHL.. of course, I can be wrong because I dont have ALL INFO. We will see, not every russian plan is succesfull, KHL can fail, I admit it.

Dig up interviews of Fasel from 2008-2010 and 2011-now. I am sure you will find out change of his attitude towards KHL´s expansion. He is now a huge supporter of KHL expansion, believe me. Why?

Champions League - why did CL fail in 2009? No, it was not because of economic crisis (not the only reason). Russians did not want it.

European Trophy - why did ET invite KHL club to its finals 2013? Why Slovan as KHL club is still in ET? What about spy?? Yes, you can laugh But, KHL is govern by people who have experiance with politics, business and you know how this "word" works ...

I could write more and more, but it does not make sense because many people dont get it.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Everything has its time. That is the answer. KHL does not have team in Scandinavia yet, but try to establish one or two. If club from Norway joined KHL, it would start domino effect ... finns, danes would like to join as well, maybe swedes. That is a long-term strategy, not for 2-3 yrs. Look at Slovakia and Czech rep, 1st info of joining KHL was in 2009 (Karlovy Vary), next year failed Lev Hradec Kralove, Lev Poprad failed to join in first attempt. Lev Poprad played 11/12 season but was abandoned, replaced by Slovan and Lev Praha - mission completed!

KHL wanted AIK to join, failed, swedish federation was and still is against. So, KHL changed strategy, does not want to lure swedish clubs anymore, but clubs from Finland, Norway, maybe Denmark. First info about dannish club was year or two ago. Nothing serious. First info was last year (btw why does Kurri play for russian team of veterans called Gazprom Export? Is he finnish Schroeder?). First info of Stavanger is newest, only a few days. Now look at my previous words about Czech rep - first in in 2009.. lets wait 4-5 yrs, maybe we will have club from Norway in KHL in 2018.

All nations are different. I recommend you to study russian foreing policy in 20th century, you will find out how Russians think/plan. They dont plan for 2-3 yrs, but for 30+yrs. I can see the same logic in KHL.. of course, I can be wrong because I dont have ALL INFO. We will see, not every russian plan is succesfull, KHL can fail, I admit it.

Dig up interviews of Fasel from 2008-2010 and 2011-now. I am sure you will find out change of his attitude towards KHL´s expansion. He is now a huge supporter of KHL expansion, believe me. Why?

Champions League - why did CL fail in 2009? No, it was not because of economic crisis (not the only reason). Russians did not want it.

European Trophy - why did ET invite KHL club to its finals 2013? Why Slovan as KHL club is still in ET? What about spy?? Yes, you can laugh But, KHL is govern by people who have experiance with politics, business and you know how this "word" works ...

I could write more and more, but it does not make sense because many people dont get it.
I don't think SEL will exist as it does now in 30 years, nor do I really care, it's too far in the future for me to worry/think about now. If they all play in KHL, or if there's a Euro league, meh, we'll see then. If KHL wants to support clubs that can't stand on their own feet, be my guest, that is only good for hockey in the long run.

I thought the champions league failed because noone cared, not because russians didn't join, and don't think people would have cared if russians joined, we've already established it: Swedes/Fins does not care about KHL clubs.

Same deal with European trophy, here I can only talk for Sweden though, people don't care. The spotlight it gets in swedish media is who won. That's it. European trophy is nothing more than an exhibition tournament. People would hardly notice if they cancelled it, teams would just have to get practice somewhere else.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:20 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
It seems that some of the posters here (specifically vorky, atas2000, russianhockeyDOTde, some others) are 10-12 years old, generally detrimental to any kind of solid/constructive discussion. Something needs to be done about this board. Also, if you're going to post actively, learn decent English grammar & spelling.
Please re-read my posts in this thread one more time. I said many times that I undertand swedish´s point of view, I wrote about differences among czech and swedish society (why success of Lev can not be used for Sweden). So what is the problem? What is solid/constructive discussion in your eyes? Try to argue my statements.

I know how important is rivalry for fans in Sweden, dont worry. I get it. On the other hand I dont think the same can be used for Finland, definitelly not for Norway. Therefore KHL wants club from Norway, not Sweden.

Quote:
I thought the champions league failed because noone cared, not because russians didn't join, and don't think people would have cared if russians joined, we've already established it: Swedes/Fins does not care about KHL clubs.
I wrote Russian´s withdrawing was not only reason, but it was very important. We dont have money in Europe to support Champions League, only Russians have. In Slovakia and Czech rep many people cared about Champions League, Sweden could be another story.

European clubs, especially from Nordic countries + GER, SUI, say that they want Champions League or so. Ok, I am all for it. Why we dont have it? Because of no fan/media/clubs interest? no money? Someone has been doing everything CL not to start? If so, who and why? Any other reason?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post

Why has it not happend yet? It should be their goal right, to get the best players to create the best league. Seems they are doing a very bad job of destroying SEL, even though they could whenever they wanted.
It hasn't happened yet because Russian KHL teams have a 5 foreigner limit. What's going to happen after that gets lifted after Sochi? Use your brains.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Sorry, but this is kind of stupid...

I don't like the attitude "join us or we will lure all of your best players and destroy your league".

The main goal for the KHL should be the development of Russian hockey. Nothing else should matter. The KHL needs foreign players and foreign teams are OK too (as long as they can finance themselves without Russian money) but it should not aim to dominate all of European hockey. Russian hockey does not benefit at all if there are a dozen foreign but Russian financed western European teams playing in the KHL.
I thought we have got past this already. The KHL is a multinational project and is not there to prop up any one's national hockey program. Even Russia's. The KHL and the Russian Hockey Federation is not the same thing. The RSL days are over and thankfully so. We have the Vishaya Liga for all that crap.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:15 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
It hasn't happened yet because Russian KHL teams have a 5 foreigner limit. What's going to happen after that gets lifted after Sochi? Use your brains.
I dont think there will be no foreign limit after Sochi. As I see it now, there will be limit for 5 or so players who are not from countries of KHL teams. So Slovaks/Czechs etc are not foreigners, only Swedes/Finns etc. I prefere this variant over no-limit. All depends on FHR and KHL´s desire to make conflict with FHR. KHL still needs FHR, because only FHR can organise hockey league or delegate this right to KHL, how FHR did in 2008. Another story would be if KHL was independent from FHR/IIHF. We will see.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Everyone please calm down, you can have this debate without attacking other posters.

From now any, any personal attack will result in an infraction.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
So how long until I can laugh at this? After Sochi? 2015? 2016?

Old
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Sorry, but this is kind of stupid...

I don't like the attitude "join us or we will lure all of your best players and destroy your league".

The main goal for the KHL should be the development of Russian hockey. Nothing else should matter. The KHL needs foreign players and foreign teams are OK too (as long as they can finance themselves without Russian money) but it should not aim to dominate all of European hockey. Russian hockey does not benefit at all if there are a dozen foreign but Russian financed western European teams playing in the KHL.
Peter, i rarely agree with anything you post, however i do here. Stop messing around with projects in other countries and invest in your own infrastructure.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Can anybody tell me why Sweden or Finland as a collective would want KHL clubs?

As if to say Malmo joining the KHL would cause interest throughout Sweden. Nonsense.

Answer these questions :

1) How does a Swedish/Finnish KHL team benefit Russian hockey?
2) How does a Swedish/Finnish KHL team benefit Swedish/Finnish hockey development?
3) How does a Swedish/Finnish KHL team benefit the average Swedish/Finnish fan?

Simplistic questions, since this topic has so many layers too it, but i fancy the rather obvious answers somewhat highlight why their responses are why they are.

What is entitely humerous, is the organisation many Russian/KHL posters hold in certain disdain (The NHL), is an organisation they want to become within Europe. Truely ironic.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Answer these questions :

1) How does a Swedish/Finnish KHL team benefit Russian hockey?
2) How does a Swedish/Finnish KHL team benefit Swedish/Finnish hockey development?
3) How does a Swedish/Finnish KHL team benefit the average Swedish/Finnish fan?
1) not russian hockey but KHL would benefit - new market, new place for non-russian players who dont want to play in russian clubs.At the end of a day it would be good for russian hockey as well

2), 3) - KHL does not care

I understand KHL´s attitude, but I dont like it. You seem to be idealistic in your previous post. Try to think like you would be KHL.. maybe you get it.

Quote:
What is entitely humerous, is the organisation many Russian/KHL posters hold in certain disdain (The NHL), is an organisation they want to become within Europe. Truely ironic.
Big different among NHL and KHL is that Czech rep does not have NHL team but has KHL´s. Please dont start discussion with "national league would be ruined, not beneficial for other czech clubs etc". Yes, agree, but national leagues must adapt for new enviroment.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
There's also a certain misconception being spread that a Swedish/Finnish KHL club would mean all the best player from those countries would automatically play in those clubs. Just ask the Latvians how that worked for Riga...

Old
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
1) not russian hockey but KHL would benefit - new market, new place for non-russian players who dont want to play in russian clubs.At the end of a day it would be good for russian hockey as well
How does it benefit KHL though? I never got this. They want to expand to so many clubs either some of the teams will be terrible, or the talent will be too spread, there are simply not enough top level players to support such a large league with NHL taking the top. Considering many (all except a handfull? I think CSKA and some other teams generates a lot of money) of the teams will not generate even close to the budget you said teams would have, supporting that many teams financially will cost a ton. Is the KHL able/willing to support so many teams with millions and millions of euros each year with little fan support? I'm thinking Denmark, Milan and so on.

For Swedish players to leave Sweden to live in Europe, and especially easten europe, a MASSIVE overpayment is needed. Language barrier and quality of life, it costs a lot.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
So how long until I can laugh at this? After Sochi? 2015? 2016?
VladNYC and me write about trends in KHL, we follow the league very closely I would say. Nobody knows how KHL will look like after Sochi, maybe not immidiatelly, but after year or two... one thing is sure - there will be huge change. Why?

1) KHL wants to re-schedulle international IIHF calendar
2) KHL wants to change foreign limit (not sure how)
3) KHL wants clubs to build new arenas above 12000 etc

Btw, list of refs for upcoming IIHF World Championship in SWE/FIN.
KHL has been scounting euro refs and wants to hire a few of them for next season. We will see.

Quote:
Baluška, Vladimír (SVK)
Brüggemann, Lars (GER)
Bulanov, Vyacheslav (RUS)
Croft, Ian (USA)
Fraňo, Martin (CZE)
Jeřábek, Antonín (CZE)
Johansson, Morgan (SWE)
Kaval, Keith (USA)
Kirk, Matt (CAN)
Olenin, Konstantin (RUS)
Piechaczek, Daniel (GER)
Rantala, Aleksi (FIN)
Reiber, Brent (SUI)
Rönn, Jyri (FIN)
Vinnerborg, Marcus (SWE)
Zalaski, Derek (CAN)

Old
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
The KHL should primarily serve to the Russian market. I think expansion does have some advantages, but you're actually going to have expand on those advantages rather than this bland generic answer. How is it good? You haven't really answered the question.

Quote:
2), 3) - KHL does not care
The question wasn't framed within the KHL thought process. It was for Russian fans to answer, and try and think from the other side. So again, you fail to answer the question. How does the expansion of the KHL into some Finnish/Swedish markets help collective youth development and fan interest? How do the domestic markets take to 1 or 2 teams that are in the KHL. Does anyone outside that club support follow them? Will new allegiances be made? How is their youth infrastructure affected and changed? How does it alter economics of those left behind?

Answer these questions instead of the whishy washy useless stuff you do post.

Also, your answer kinda undermines the idea that the KHL does care about European hockey, which is a sentiment implied by various posters including yourself previously. Which is what is hilarious. The KHL doesn't care about European hockey, only itself (which is normal), and wants to do what the NHL does to everybody else. The irony is brilliant.

Quote:
I understand KHL´s attitude, but I dont like it. You seem to be idealistic in your previous post. Try to think like you would be KHL.. maybe you get it.

Big different among NHL and KHL is that Czech rep does not have NHL team but has KHL´s. Please dont start discussion with "national league would be ruined, not beneficial for other czech clubs etc". Yes, agree, but national leagues must adapt for new enviroment.
Idealistic? I am pragmatic. I am not the one living in lala land that the KHL can become some type of serious competitor to the NHL in the next 15-20 years. It's rich coming from you to call anybody idealistic Vorky.

Czech situation and the Swedish/Finnish situation are entirely different. Sweden/Finland has both a stronger league economically and a much stronger youth structure currently. Sweden is as healthy as it has ever been relative to development of players, so from that angle, the KHL serves no purpose.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
There's also a certain misconception being spread that a Swedish/Finnish KHL club would mean all the best player from those countries would automatically play in those clubs. Just ask the Latvians how that worked for Riga...
The best players from those countries would play in the NHL. There are also numerous organisations in these countries who produce excellent youth players, hence you'd never see one KHL club from either country have "the best talent".

And in lalala land theory, if say a Swedish club did have a KHL team, and it did become the juggernaut of Swedish hockey, it's simply going to poach and damage other domestic development programmes.

No country should ever aim to have 2 or 3 uttely dominant organisations that are so far ahead of the rest in every aspect. The reason Latvia, Belarus, Kazakhstan or even Slovakia have this is because they have so few areas capable of producing higher quality talent.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
How does it benefit KHL though? I never got this. They want to expand to so many clubs either some of the teams will be terrible, or the talent will be too spread, there are simply not enough top level players to support such a large league with NHL taking the top. Considering many (all except a handfull? I think CSKA and some other teams generates a lot of money) of the teams will not generate even close to the budget you said teams would have, supporting that many teams financially will cost a ton. Is the KHL able/willing to support so many teams with millions and millions of euros each year with little fan support? I'm thinking Denmark, Milan and so on.

For Swedish players to leave Sweden to live in Europe, and especially easten europe, a MASSIVE overpayment is needed. Language barrier and quality of life, it costs a lot.
Therefore is KHL´s aim to establish clubs in Norway or Finland which are close to Sweden and coutries are similar to each other IMO.

Fans will come to Denmark, Milan, Norway, dont worry. I can not say about Finland. It wants time and PR marketing.

Sweden has 30+ players in AHL. Right? A few of them can play in Norway, Denmark... still better paycheck than in AHL.

Yes, no problem to finance club in Norway etc for example 10 yrs and lost money. I can not imagine more than 10-12 euro clubs in KHL. And now we have five (Slovan, Lev, D.Riga, Donbass, Minsk)

Soccer, russians want to create common RUS-UKR league, investment of one billion euro in 1st year. If Russians want, they can invest it to hockey. But they dont want, not now.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Therefore is KHL´s aim to establish clubs in Norway or Finland which are close to Sweden and coutries are similar to each other IMO.

Fans will come to Denmark, Milan, Norway, dont worry. I can not say about Finland. It wants time and PR marketing.

Sweden has 30+ players in AHL. Right? A few of them can play in Norway, Denmark... still better paycheck than in AHL.

Yes, no problem to finance club in Norway etc for example 10 yrs and lost money. I can not imagine more than 10-12 euro clubs in KHL. And now we have five (Slovan, Lev, D.Riga, Donbass, Minsk)

Soccer, russians want to create common RUS-UKR league, investment of one billion euro in 1st year. If Russians want, they can invest it to hockey. But they dont want, not now.
SEL pays more than AHL too. They are there to get a shot at NHL. Unless they realize they have no shot at NHL, they'll return to SEL, or whatever league will pay them enough to make them play there. Why would you want the AHL Swede's though? Many of them are barely good enough to play in SEL to begin with, why would you want them? Thought it was the top players you were after.
How long does the fans of Denmark and Milan has to show up? I'm not sure what you're expecting. But it's not "oh thank you lord, we finally have good hockey! THANK YOU KHL!" That won't happen, don't expect it. You can't create hockey hype in countries with very little interest for it. Is KHL willing to pay for a club in Milan where attendence is going to be poor for 10 years? If they budget you gave out is true that's going to cost KHL around 10-40mil euro/year, and it's just 1 team.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:53 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The KHL should primarily serve to the Russian market. I think expansion does have some advantages, but you're actually going to have expand on those advantages rather than this bland generic answer. How is it good? You haven't really answered the question.
I can agree with you but it is not about what KHL should do, but what KHL has been doing Yes, KHL cares about Russia, therefore you have VHL, MHL. If KHL did not care, no VHL/MHL would be on place. KHL wants Vladivostok/Tyumen join league. Forget for 30 or so russian clubs in KHL, it is not reality.

Quote:
The question wasn't framed within the KHL thought process. It was for Russian fans to answer, and try and think from the other side. So again, you fail to answer the question. How does the expansion of the KHL into some Finnish/Swedish markets help collective youth development and fan interest? How do the domestic markets take to 1 or 2 teams that are in the KHL. Does anyone outside that club support follow them? Will new allegiances be made? How is their youth infrastructure affected and changed? How does it alter economics of those left behind?

Answer these questions instead of the whishy washy useless stuff you do post.
Yes, many fans outside Slovan/Lev care about these clubs since they play KHL. Media/television as well.

"It was for Russian fans to answer, and try and think from the other side"
That is your big problem. You try to think as ordinary fan. It is right, ok. But it is pointless. Does KHL change its aim if I dont agree with its steps? No. If you want to get KHL, you need to think like you were KHL. What does KHL want/need from Europe? 1) places which are good for living of european/american players. 2) lure as many talented players as possible. 3) get new markets=more revenue from tv deals etc. All this goals can be fullfill by creating a club lets say in Norway - you fullfill 1), 2), 3). Easy and simple. I have experiance with KHL, because I live in a country where KHL club is located, you dont.

Quote:
Also, your answer kinda undermines the idea that the KHL does care about European hockey, which is a sentiment implied by various posters including yourself previously. Which is what is hilarious. The KHL doesn't care about European hockey, only itself (which is normal), and wants to do what the NHL does to everybody else. The irony is brilliant.

Idealistic? I am pragmatic. I am not the one living in lala land that the KHL can become some type of serious competitor to the NHL in the next 15-20 years. It's rich coming from you to call anybody idealistic Vorky.
You dont understand the topic. I talk about two things - 1) KHL as supporter of euro hockey in negotiations with NHL 2) KHL as league which want to be dominant in Europe. Two different things, you can not mixed them. Europe is feeder of KHL, I have written it for years.

KHL is only league which can rival NHL. Can NHL increase its revenues? If there is football, basseball, basketball? If more and more latino-americans/africans/asians live in USA which dont care about hockey?

Do you know how russian plan? Do you know how big politics works? It is all very important, if you dont know it, you will not get KHL.

KHL is a proccess, many things has changed, new info appears etc. So of course, my point of view can change. Honestly, I would never think that polish club can join KHL. Now it is reality. I think I have a lot of info about KHL´s expansion, even infos which are not publicly available (my sources). So yes, I know I am talking about. All I say is a plan, not reality of next season. And all can be changed if something unforeseeable happens. It is not fair to insult me.

You write I did not answer your Qs.. I think I did. I have one simple Qs for you. Why Kurri plays exibitions for russian veteran´s team Gazprom Export? Why Kurri visits home matches of SKA? Why Fasel is a big friend of Medvedev and supporter of KHL´s expansion in last year or two? Why did Junior Club World Cup get IIHF sanction in 2nd year of existance?

Quote:
Czech situation and the Swedish/Finnish situation are entirely different. Sweden/Finland has both a stronger league economically and a much stronger youth structure currently. Sweden is as healthy as it has ever been relative to development of players, so from that angle, the KHL serves no purpose.
sure.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Is KHL willing to pay for a club in Milan where attendence is going to be poor for 10 years?
I read similar predictions last summer when Lev Prague started his 1st KHL season. Now, they have biggest attendance in Prague, 18th in Europe (one swedish club is better), 3rd best in Czech rep. I think it is a good result after one season.

Donbass has small attendance due to small arena. Club will build new arena for 12000. Do you think people wont show up? I remind you example of Minsk, now 2nd attendance in Europe (Bern has bigger arena).

Yes, Czech rep/Ukraine/Italy are different countries. What works in Czech rep, does not have to work in Italy etc.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
I read similar predictions last summer when Lev Prague started his 1st KHL season. Now, they have biggest attendance in Prague, 18th in Europe (one swedish club is better), 3rd best in Czech rep. I think it is a good result after one season.

Donbass has small attendance due to small arena. Club will build new arena for 12000. Do you think people wont show up? I remind you example of Minsk, now 2nd attendance in Europe (Bern has bigger arena).

Yes, Czech rep/Ukraine/Italy are different countries. What works in Czech rep, does not have to work in Italy etc.
So why do you bring it up? Seems silly, no? Potatoes are good but the ocean has whales.
Hockey is Czech republics 2nd biggest sport, hockey is not even on the radar in Italy.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
So why do you bring it up? Seems silly, no? Potatoes are good but the ocean has whales.
Hockey is Czech republics 2nd biggest sport, hockey is not even on the radar in Italy.
No. If you want to make a good research, you have to know how it works in other countries.

Why did Canada take some aspects of play from european hockey? Etc etc

Do you think that hockey is super popular in Donetsk? No, it is all about Shakhtar, but people visit games of Donbass. Will visit at new arena for sure. Yes Italy is not Ukraine. Btw, I am not sure if Milano joins KHL. I think it wont happen this summer....

Old
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
No. If you want to make a good research, you have to know how it works in other countries.

Why did Canada take some aspects of play from european hockey? Etc etc

Do you think that hockey is super popular in Donetsk? No, it is all about Shakhtar, but people visit games of Donbass. Will visit at new arena for sure. Yes Italy is not Ukraine. Btw, I am not sure if Milano joins KHL. I think it wont happen this summer....
What the... You bring up a team that people thought was going to fail, in a country that likes hockey, as a point to why a team people think will fail, in a country that has very very very little hockey interest will not fail? Milano, a city with 2 of the best football clubs in the world, you think they're going to go watch hockey to see a new arena? Please.

Why expand to areas with little hockey interest anyways? What's the point of trying to force hockey onto people who might not give a damn? It's a high risk low reward type of deal because even if the team stays it will be dependant on money from the KHL.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Jonimaus

Quote:
Why expand to areas with little hockey interest anyways?
Now you showed how you dont understand KHL and russian foreign policy/strategies in general. What seems a nonsense for outsiders is not nonsense for Russians who plan something for future. I could give you examples from 20th century but dont wan to be off topic.

Yes, it seems there is no interest in hockey in Milan, Gdansk but who knows? What is goal of KHL if expands here? Believe me, what seems a nonsense is not a nonsense. I can not identify KHL´s plan in Milan but for sure there is any. Maybe wrong, maybe right. Who knows?

That is a BIG GAME in european hockey now. We can laught at Milan, Gdansk etc, but who knows how situation will be after decade +?

Do you think KHL´s management are bunch of idiots who dont know what to do?
If yes, KHL will collapse within a few years. Amateurs can not govern such league. If no, why does KHL want club in Milan, Zagreb, Bratislava, Prague, projected Switzerland, Norway, Finland,Germany, Gdansk? Try to answer it. If you were KHL, why would you choose these locations?

We all discuss about KHL´s expansion from nowaday´s point of view. But KHL does not do that. League plans the future, far future. I give you one simple example. KHL have said for year or two that conditions for arenas will be tougher after 3-4 yrs. Why? Because KHL has a short-term plan to develep facilities/arenas of clubs. If KHL plans this, why not expansion? Expansion with some vision of future.... yes, it can fail... like AIK failed. But there is a plan of KHL, I am sure. What plan, we dont know. Because we dont know correct replies to my Qs above.

I had to write this post like this.. because it is not only about hockey. We have to get context to undertand details.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The best players from those countries would play in the NHL. There are also numerous organisations in these countries who produce excellent youth players, hence you'd never see one KHL club from either country have "the best talent".
Another misconception by certain poster that Finns and Swedes want to see their best players playing at home. No Finn (well maybe some fans of his former team) wanted Sami Vatanen to play another season in Finland because we recognize that he needs to play in a better league to develop better and fulfill his potential. We want our best players to play in the best league in the world so that we'd have a better national team.

Quote:
SEL pays more than AHL too. They are there to get a shot at NHL. Unless they realize they have no shot at NHL, they'll return to SEL, or whatever league will pay them enough to make them play there. Why would you want the AHL Swede's though? Many of them are barely good enough to play in SEL to begin with, why would you want them? Thought it was the top players you were after.
Aren't most of the AHL Swedes fairly young as well? They have plenty of time to get accustomed to the play in small rinks in AHL.

Closed Thread