HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs Interested in Mike Ribeiro

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Morlesio14*

vCash: 500
Grabo, gunnarson?

Old
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Vitto79

and why would WSH not sign Ribiero? he is doing well with Ovy

Old
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Not sure how much I believe this rumour -- Kadri makes Ribiero a tad redundant (but holy hell would he be better than Bozak on the top line since Carlyle refuses to try Kadri there.)

But for Biggs? Lol in a heartbeat enjoy no take-backs.
yea not sure why people arent willing to give biggs to try and get ribeiro,

Old
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
416Leafer

Ribeiros not a guy you trade for if youre not a contender. If we trade for him, we'll still be looking for an upgrade over him by the summer, after we dont win the Cup, since we're clearly not good enough to win it.

So we'd be trading some longterm assets to not win the Cup and for a guy we'd instantly be looking for an upgrade over? Seems silly to me.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:03 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
Because ~~**intangibles**~~

You can get a Tyler Biggs in every offseason for nothing but cash.

Obviously you can tell I'm not his biggest fan

Old
03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

This article is just speculative. No chance Nonis gives up what it takes to get Ribeiro. If he's available at the deadline teams are going to lining up for his services and he won't go cheap. A first round pick is where his price starts and that is a complete no-go for the Leafs.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Ribeiros not a guy you trade for if youre not a contender. If we trade for him, we'll still be looking for an upgrade over him by the summer, after we dont win the Cup, since we're clearly not good enough to win it.

So we'd be trading some longterm assets to not win the Cup and for a guy we'd instantly be looking for an upgrade over? Seems silly to me.
Ribeiro is playing like a top ten centre, he would make the Leafs much better. The reason why it would be stupid to trade for him is because he'll be asking for 5 - 6 million on a long term deal, and there's no way the Leafs give that to him. So he would be an expensive rental, and like you said, a pointless rental at that.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Ribeiro is a better Tim Connolly. Tim Connolly was a UFA that was signed to give Kadri more time to develop while we still had a good C...obviously he was broken beyond repair but Kadri is in the NHL now.

We can't trade top prospects for rentals...we're not at the place where we give up assets for rentals. The Leafs are most likely going to do nothing major at the TDL...I think the highest pick they trade is a 2nd round pick.

Ribeiro is just another stop gap..I'd much rather go for a guy like Stastny, at least he's young and can start producing more with better linemates.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Toronto needs to get into the playoffs 1st and Ribeiro would help with that and he's the top free agent C this summer so we'd get 1st crack at signing him.

Getting Ribiero would also allow us to trade Bozak right after.

It comes down to what is the difference between the cost of Ribiero minus what we'd acquiring by dealing Bozak.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Madic

LOL at the "Sure, take Biggs!" crap. You guys are hilarious. Just terrible.

Colton Orr is shifted up onto Kessel/Kadri's line repeatedly because the Leafs have zero big, aggressive wingers who can play a dump-and-chase game...and you want to give up the Leafs only prospect who may have that ability and some offensive aptitude. For a guy who was traded to Washington for peanuts. And is a UFA. Good work.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 03-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Ribeiro is a lot better than Bozak. If the cost isn't too prohibitive, I would be quite interested if I were Nonis. A vet centre with legit top line skill(3 70+ point seasons) would be a nice addition down the stretch. The Leafs will be buyers at the deadline and this is a move I could see them making.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
BK201

if they need a top 4 defenseman why aren't they playing Gardiner? doesn't make sense.

Ribeiro would be a good fit IMO on the leafs but what do they give up?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
For a guy who was traded to Washington for peanuts.
Umm...

Old
03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
You were taking my post a little too personally imo, I wasn't knocking on Ribs. I clearly stated I might have been wrong and would hope that a WSH or DAL fan could shed some light on this topic. Thanks for the info though, I'm glad he's matured and turned into a better teammate
Yeah, sorry. It's just kind of annoying to hear how a guy was seven years ago when he was nothing but professional from his first day in Dallas. He loafed it at times but not nearly as much as some other big name for Stars center and was a competitor when the chips were down. He's very much the kind of player a team with a hole at center should look to acquire for a long postseason run.

Edit: I agree though that he's probably not the best fit for Toronto in terms of where they are big picture.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
Umm...
Yes? How would you describe Cody Eakin (good AHL stats at the time, nothing great) and a 2nd round pick?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Rielly4

Grabo Kulimen 1st round pick for Alzner and Ribero?

Then dump Gunner for a 2nd.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Nhl.com ran a piece on Ribeiro's maturity just a few days ago. Here's the link, it answers a lot of the questions in this thread. There have been a few... incidents this year, but nothing too serious. He's taken two unsportsmanlike penalties for talking to the refs this year. One was after the refs missed two separate high sticks in the course of the game, both of which drew blood iirc. Considering the circumstances, and the fact that he's had a tracheotomy after being high sticked in the past, I don't really hold that one against him. Can't remember the circumstances of the other one. Then earlier this weekend he fought Brad Marchand, which isn't a smart trade. He's still a fiery guy, but on the whole he's definitely gotten better at controlling himself.

The Caps fans that are interested in moving Ribeiro are almost unanimously working under the (reasonable) assumption that Ribeiro won't be interested in resigning with this sinking ship of a franchise. He's met all our expectations and then some. His work on the PP in particular has been just incredible (he's currently tied with Markov for the most PP points in the NHL), he's the major factor in our PP jumping nearly 8 percentage points since last year. If he's willing to resign here for anything close to a reasonable contract, we'll do it. I just don't see why he'd want to.

Quote:
Yes? How would you describe Cody Eakin (good AHL stats at the time, nothing great) and a 2nd round pick?
Cody Eakin is the definition of a guy you can't judge by stats alone. Those who'd watched him play (like the Caps and Stars organizations) knew how good he was, and knew he was not "peanuts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post

That's atrocious.

Last edited by Zoidberg Jesus: 03-18-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post

We wouldn't get Alzner without Ribero for that. Alzner is a piece of Washington's core. I wouldn't expect them to trade him to us for Rielly/Gardiner and a 1st

Old
03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Ribeiro is a better Tim Connolly. Tim Connolly was a UFA that was signed to give Kadri more time to develop while we still had a good C...obviously he was broken beyond repair but Kadri is in the NHL now.

We can't trade top prospects for rentals...we're not at the place where we give up assets for rentals. The Leafs are most likely going to do nothing major at the TDL...I think the highest pick they trade is a 2nd round pick.

Ribeiro is just another stop gap..I'd much rather go for a guy like Stastny, at least he's young and can start producing more with better linemates.
yeah but there are much better prospects than biggs, i wouldnt call him a "top prospect", you got to give to get. Washington gave Eakin and a second, not sure if they would even be interested in Biggs

Old
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
leugangen

I'd like to add Ribeiro. Guy has insane amounts of skill.

Percy + 2nd I'd do. Maybe Colborne.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
tml145

Quote:
yeah but there are much better prospects than biggs, i wouldnt call him a "top prospect", you got to give to get. Washington gave Eakin and a second, not sure if they would even be interested in Biggs
Biggs might not be a the best prospect, but all nhl teams need to have a variety of prospects.

Biggs has size (6'3)
and offensive upside

the only big forward the leafs have on the roster is JVR, and he isn't very physical

Leafs should want to see how he translates his game to the pros before they consider trading him

Old
03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Cody Eakin was the main piece of the deal for Dallas, and right now he has 15 points in 27 games as a rookie as well as being great defensively. He's always been a B+ prospect for us, we knew he was going to be good, but you have to give to get. So we did.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Deen

vCash: 50
Ribeiro would make a good referee when his days are done.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
Biggs might not be a the best prospect, but all nhl teams need to have a variety of prospects.

Biggs has size (6'3)
and offensive upside

the only big forward the leafs have on the roster is JVR, and he isn't very physical

Leafs should want to see how he translates his game to the pros before they consider trading him
I see where your coming from and i understand that thinking, i was just speaking to the people that react like were/your giving up Morgan for Ribeiro or something. Biggs at the end of the day is replaceable. Washington also has a better version of Biggs in Wilson soooooo...

Old
03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
veedubn1

Ribeiro is not the center the Leafs need.

#1 - We're not going to make any noise in the playoffs (if we get there) this season so I'm not sure why we're mortgaging any part of the future for a UFA.

#2 - The Leafs need size down the middle, which isn't something that Ribeiro brings to the table.

Closed Thread