HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Frank Selke Jr Passes Away

Old
03-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Frank Selke Jr Passes Away

Frank Selke Jr has passed away:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...frank-selke-jr

TV analyst, publicist, hockey executive,Montreal HNIC intermission host after Tom Foley passed away in a car accident.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Learn something new every day. Didnt even know of his existence to be perfectly honest. Growing up in Toronto, we had Ward Cornell as the host of HNIC, no memory of Frank Selke Jr., nor do I recall reading about him as GM with the Seals. Certainly appears to have lived a very full life, practically growing up at Maple Leaf Gardens and the Montreal Forum, long association with the Canadiens' & the city of Montreal, Special Olympics etc. I see he's also a member of the Etobicoke (suburb of Toronto) Sports Hall of Fame, having moved there in 1971 post California.... again, no idea Etobicoke even had a "Sports Hall of Fame".... and why would Claude Lemieux be in it as well?.... strange.

Edit; I see, looked it up. Lemieux had business interests based out of Etobicoke & moved there with his family.... Peter Zezel's a member of their Hall of Fame as well. He sadly passed away at 44 in 2009. Was a player with the Don Mills Flyers in his youth, after retiring from the NHL returned to Toronto & Coached Don Mills, ran Camps in Etobicoke.

Last edited by Killion: 03-18-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Canadiens1958

Very Discreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Learn something new every day. Didnt even know of his existence to be perfectly honest. Growing up in Toronto, we had Ward Cornell as the host of HNIC, no memory of Frank Selke Jr., nor do I recall reading about him as GM with the Seals. Certainly appears to have lived a very full life, practically growing up at Maple Leaf Gardens and the Montreal Forum, long association with the Canadiens' & the city of Montreal, Special Olympics etc.
Very discreet. Handled the Canadiens publicist and program responsibilities with Camil DesRoches. Program featured a column "Frankly Speaking".

Old
03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Very discreet. Handled the Canadiens publicist and program responsibilities with Camil DesRoches. Program featured a column "Frankly Speaking".
Ya, so discreet he was right off my radar... appears to have attended St. Mikes in Toronto, playing for the Marlboro's in the old THL through to Bantam, then Midget with Saint Michaels, equivalent of todays AAA in terms of level for his age group so he mustve' been a decent enough hockey player in his own right at the amateur level. Didnt seem to carry on playing when the family moved to Montreal though, going to work for the Habs' in some capacity or another. Most curious that Id not encountered the name before somewhere.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Mats86

Reading his bio...think those lopsided Guy Lafleur type trades Montreal had with Seals had anything to do with Selke being their GM?

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Canadiens1958

Well Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Reading his bio...think those lopsided Guy Lafleur type trades Montreal had with Seals had anything to do with Selke being their GM?
Well done. Origins of the Guy Lafleur trade below:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6549%2C5819537

The trade was finalized with the details of the 1st round picks later.

Selke was replaced by Bill Torrey when Charlie Finley bought the Seals.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Well done. Origins of the Guy Lafleur trade below:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6549%2C5819537

The trade was finalized with the details of the 1st round picks later.

Selke was replaced by Bill Torrey when Charlie Finley bought the Seals.
My, my. I wonder what would happen today if this occurred. One could certainly suspect tampering or collusion. Good thing Burke went to Anaheim and not Boston following his stint in Toronto.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
My, my. I wonder what would happen today if this occurred. One could certainly suspect tampering or collusion.
Ya isnt that somethin else eh? I wasnt aware of just who the Seals GM was at the time of that trade, never paid attention & didnt really think much about it beyond "ok, expansion franchise, needed immediate help, trade the #1 pick to get it". Pretty dumb move considering what they got for giving up Lafleur but hardly the first nor last time such idiocy's taken place. You also had some colossal first pick busts, nothing guaranteed... so either Frank Selke' Jr. in his first & last foray at being a GM gets totally fleeced by Pollock or the game was afoot.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Mats86

Wasn't just the Lafleur pick. We got Seals #1 pick in 1970 and 1972 also. For marginal players. Can't help but wonder if Selke took a liking trading with the Habs.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Leaf Forever

I phoned the League office in 1980 Toronto and Mr Selke answers the phone and I was floored. I was expecting a receptionist and instead I recognized his voice immediately. I spoke to him for about 10 minutes and he was very gracious as I asked about the availability of Stanley Cup films. He mentioned Molstar would be producing tapes for the public now as they had been for groups previously. He was soft spoken and very classy. If you get a chance to see old game highlights between periods you will see what I mean particularily during the late 1950s and 1960s. Thanks for your time Mr Selke

Leaf Forever is offline   Reply With Quote