HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Why isn't anyone considering Barkov if we miss out on Mackinnon? (which we probably will)
He doesn't get as much media hype as the NA-guys and Tallon doesn't care for Euros anyway.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Since everyone seems to be mentioning the forwards in recent days, count me in on defenseman, Seth Jones, bandwagon.

There's no way the Panthers should pass up on Jones if they draft 1st. That's one rare physical specimen.
I'm hesitant to say "draft a defenseman 1st overall" - last time we were set to do that (and traded down and took him 3rd instead), he didn't want to play for us and phoned it in until his rookie deal ran out.

Meanwhile, Huberdeau needs a high-end talent to play with. If we get MacKinnon, and I'm presuming he's a winger, then we could turn Shore into our very own Steve Rucchin with Huberdeau and MacKinnon as our Kariya and Selanne. Nice top line to have if you can get it. Then we have Versteeg, Weiss, and Fleischmann as a rather competent second line.

Of course...that's if anything ever pans out for us.

03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Max Domi please, from the four games ive seen, he was all i was hoping to see. I actually wamted to tank this year because of him.
I'd love getting Domi but i'd never use a top 5 pick for him. Maybe we could trade for another 1st round pick

Old
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Why isn't anyone considering Barkov if we miss out on Mackinnon? (which we probably will)
We have.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:01 PM
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI

Quote:
I might be in the minority here, but I almost prefer us to walk away with Barkov from this draft.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
RainingRats

I'm pretty sure Tallon will take a forward. In fact, I'd bet so. He's going to try to do Kane and Toews part 2 here. We've got Hubs and now we'll get another legit high end forward. Hubs + MacKinnon, Drouin, or Barkov, imo.

Unless we drop to like 4 or 5 and Jones is still available I don't see him taking Jones.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Yep, Huby needs a finisher. Look how many times he sets up Shore & Mules but they don't score. He should have at least 10 more points off assists alone. Don't get me wrong I love both those other guys, but I'm sure it's probable that Mac raises Huby's production (and vice versa).

-ghoste

Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Erick

Regardless of who's picked, I hope Tallon's reasoning isn't similar to some of the reasons listed here, no offense.

We shouldn't pick a forward because he sells more tickets, and we shouldn't be reluctant to pick a defenseman in the 1st round because it never works (which isn't even true).

I would love to be the Nashville Predators, thank you. They've had great consistency over the years, and, all things considered, we should want to be them. We're likely not spending for a Marian Hossa any time soon like the Blackhawks did. So yeah, Nashville is fine with me. We spend in a similar fashion, we have Jacob Markstrom who many have compared to Rinne, etc.

Whoever the pick is, he better be the best player available. We need the best player available. I don't care if it's a forward or a defenseman. There are many who think Jones is that guy in this draft so to completely ignore him because of his position is weird.

Defensemen are valuable too, and franchise d-men aren't easy to find. Just as the examples listed, I can list a couple of examples of franchises with valuable forwards who have achieved nothing. If you want to be "exciting" and "sell tickets" like the Tampa Bay Lightning and Edmonton Oilers, be my guest. I'd rather be a winning franchise. Whatever it takes to be that.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

I would take Seth Jones with our pick but I do NOT like this, way to Pantherish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpet1pPU5qo

Old
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
batting1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post

Funny. He started skating away...

Old
03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Regardless of who's picked, I hope Tallon's reasoning isn't similar to some of the reasons listed here, no offense.

We shouldn't pick a forward because he sells more tickets, and we shouldn't be reluctant to pick a defenseman in the 1st round because it never works (which isn't even true).

I would love to be the Nashville Predators, thank you. They've had great consistency over the years, and, all things considered, we should want to be them. We're likely not spending for a Marian Hossa any time soon like the Blackhawks did. So yeah, Nashville is fine with me. We spend in a similar fashion, we have Jacob Markstrom who many have compared to Rinne, etc.

Whoever the pick is, he better be the best player available. We need the best player available. I don't care if it's a forward or a defenseman. There are many who think Jones is that guy in this draft so to completely ignore him because of his position is weird.

Defensemen are valuable too, and franchise d-men aren't easy to find. Just as the examples listed, I can list a couple of examples of franchises with valuable forwards who have achieved nothing. If you want to be "exciting" and "sell tickets" like the Tampa Bay Lightning and Edmonton Oilers, be my guest. I'd rather be a winning franchise. Whatever it takes to be that.
Preds aren't built to win the cup.

I'll be the Chicago Blackhawks, thank you. They have a recent cup and are still built to win another cup right now. And on some nights, I don't know how, but they win without Marian Hossa.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 03-18-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 06:27 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

You are going to find that the STHer and the watch-on-TV fan are going to have a different perspective on this issue.

Noone is saying that they want to sacrifice wins. As I said, all things being relatively equal, I'd rather go offense.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post

All the size and talent in the world in a soft mentality.

We gonna do this all over again? Seriously.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 03-18-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Hyooberdough

Question

Relatively new hockey fan. Live in Ft. Lauderdale and only recently got into hockey. Never had a favorite team, so I adopted the Panthers and have fallen in love.

I'm coming from a die hard NBA background (Nets fan), and at least in the NBA drafting a superstar is the best and almost only way to propel your franchise to the next level. Having a top pick in an elite draft is supremely important.

Point being... It sounds like this is one of those drafts from most of the commentary I've read. I think it's a real blessing in disguise the team has had a down year, because a lot of the talent is still there and adding a huge piece could make next year and the years to come very special.

As I've said in prior posts in this thread, I'm really leaning towards pairing Drouin with Huberdeau. I think Drouin is as good or better than Mac, and as someone else pointed out, Drouin could be Tallon's next Kane.

In general, I'm just really excited for the draft. Keep the tough losses coming.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyooberdough View Post
Relatively new hockey fan. Live in Ft. Lauderdale and only recently got into hockey. Never had a favorite team, so I adopted the Panthers and have fallen in love.

I'm coming from a die hard NBA background (Nets fan), and at least in the NBA drafting a superstar is the best and almost only way to propel your franchise to the next level. Having a top pick in an elite draft is supremely important.

Point being... It sounds like this is one of those drafts from most of the commentary I've read. I think it's a real blessing in disguise the team has had a down year, because a lot of the talent is still there and adding a huge piece could make next year and the years to come very special.

As I've said in prior posts in this thread, I'm really leaning towards pairing Drouin with Huberdeau. I think Drouin is as good or better than Mac, and as someone else pointed out, Drouin could be Tallon's next Kane.

In general, I'm just really excited for the draft. Keep the tough losses coming.
Just here to say welcome to the boards!

Old
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyooberdough View Post

Yup, which is why there's a debate on if we should draft a potential superstar d-man v. potential a superstar forward.

I don't think we can go wrong with any of the top forwards. Quality arguments can be made for all of them.

Welcome to the boards.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Hyooberdough

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Quality boards.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Yup, which is why there's a debate on if we should draft a potential superstar d-man v. potential a superstar forward.

I don't think we can go wrong with any of the top forwards. Quality arguments can be made for all of them.

Welcome to the boards.

I agree! I think we need to go superstar forward because we don't have one. Huberdeau may turn out to be our superstar but I'd rather go for a scorer than defender. One can make an argument that Kulikov,Gudbranson, and Petrovic will turn into our superstar D, so I feel as though you could never have too many superstar forwards.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post

I'll be the Chicago Blackhawks, thank you. They have a recent cup and are still built to win another cup right now. And on some nights, I don't know how, but they win without Marian Hossa.
We are always going to be a cost-efficient team.

Expecting this team to be built the same exact way the Blackhawks were built is rather delusional to me, but to each their own.

There's a reason we, as a fanbase, have absolutely zero hope that top-tier free agents are ever going to sign here.

And Marian Hossa is not their best player, but he's just another player that makes that team as elite as it currently is.

If we ever become a consistent winner, it'll be because we did it Nashville's way. And we also actually have a guy in our front office who came from Nashville and has brought a couple of players from Nashville with him already.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
FrolikFan67

i think our depth chart at the draft will be mackinnon, drouin, jones, barkov, but i could be wrong of course. having the #1 or #2 pick, if we have a chance at taking mackinnon i think we take him and dont hesitate, although an interesting thought came to mind. if we have the #1 pick and colorado has the #3 pick, with the avs really needing D and the avalanche being one of jone's favorite teams growing up, seems like a perfect match and the avs would love to get their hands on him. wonder what they'd offer to trade up to #1 if we're fine taking drouin at #3 (and im fine with either mackinnon or drouin, i think both are sick! i actually kinda like drouin more but would prefer mackinnon because he's a center and would complement huberdeau very well along with his other tools).

Old
03-19-2013, 05:58 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

Fantastic post. That's not to say being built via scoring can't work either, but drafting a particular player based on the concept of trying to sell tickets isn't how you run a hockey club.

Winning equals sales.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:06 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

If only it that were that easy. Paging the inland hockey distrubitors ; "Dear Hockey bank, i would like to formally submit an application to be the Chicago Blackhawks, only with bigger chest barrels".

The Preds aren't built to win a cup in all likelyhood because they haven't drafted Forwards very well. They don't have anybody like Huberdeau in the system. Meanwhile, Chicago has fantastic Forward and defensive abilities.

You've incredibly naive if you believe one can simply follow a specific model to success. There are many models that can work. Being a legitimate contender is about excellent drafting, excellent player development, excellent asset management, excellent coaching, excellent luck amongst other factors. Not simply because you decided to follow the Chicago blackhawks model. The LA Kings, New Jersey Devils, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks, Chicago Blackhawks and Carolins Hurricanes didn't all share the same philosophy. They were just damn good hockey teams.

Your comparison of Jones to Bouwmeester has as much substance as any correlation one could make between homosexual activity and yellow flowers. Absolutely none. Bouwmeester is a different player, with a different personality, developed in a different environment and time period. One doesn't scout, analyse and project a young players future based on an entirely seperate and unrelated event.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:09 AM
HockeyRulez
Lets Go Panthers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
i think our depth chart at the draft will be mackinnon, drouin, jones, barkov, but i could be wrong of course. having the #1 or #2 pick, if we have a chance at taking mackinnon i think we take him and dont hesitate, although an interesting thought came to mind. if we have the #1 pick and colorado has the #3 pick, with the avs really needing D and the avalanche being one of jone's favorite teams growing up, seems like a perfect match and the avs would love to get their hands on him. wonder what they'd offer to trade up to #1 if we're fine taking drouin at #3 (and im fine with either mackinnon or drouin, i think both are sick! i actually kinda like drouin more but would prefer mackinnon because he's a center and would complement huberdeau very well along with his other tools).
U are aware Parros wears #22 right? Not to rain on your parade or anything....

Old
03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
If only it that were that easy. Paging the inland hockey distrubitors ; "Dear Hockey bank, i would like to formally submit an application to be the Chicago Blackhawks, only with bigger chest barrels".

The Preds aren't built to win a cup in all likelyhood because they haven't drafted Forwards very well. They don't have anybody like Huberdeau in the system. Meanwhile, Chicago has fantastic Forward and defensive abilities.

You've incredibly naive if you believe one can simply follow a specific model to success. There are many models that can work. Being a legitimate contender is about excellent drafting, excellent player development, excellent asset management, excellent coaching, excellent luck amongst other factors. Not simply because you decided to follow the Chicago blackhawks model. The LA Kings, New Jersey Devils, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks, Chicago Blackhawks and Carolins Hurricanes didn't all share the same philosophy. They were just damn good hockey teams.

Your comparison of Jones to Bouwmeester has as much substance as any correlation one could make between homosexual activity and yellow flowers. Absolutely none. Bouwmeester is a different player, with a different personality, developed in a different environment and time period. One doesn't scout, analyse and project a young players future based on an entirely seperate and unrelated event.
Have you watched Seth Jones play?

Old
03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Erick

Quote:
Have you watched Seth Jones play?
He sucks?

Closed Thread