HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Respect for Mikey (merged)

Old
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
habfan4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
"give mikey respect," "get off his back."

Does this really need another thread.
QFT

I mocked the other almost identical thread as being repetitive and inane, but today I just dont have the energy.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Well putting up 80 points and having a good playoffs would be great, but I would be happy to just see him give a little heart while he plays. Skate hard for the puck, win battles in the corners and just play hard everygame.....thats all I want out of him and I don't think its too much to ask either!!!!
err...he did, albeit in the latter half of the season...course he did get thrown around like a rag doll when he did go into the corners but he did try lol.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Lazy, maybe not, but lack of heart, yes.

a 6'0 frame @ 175 lbs is just not right for the nhl. do they not have trainers that can get him to atleast 205??
Do you think that Scott isn't working around the clock with Ribs? The guy would lose his job if he didn't. I'd be very surprised if Ribs doesn't show up at 185-190 next season (which isn't big, but still better). As for a lack of heart, Ribs seems to be one of the few players who actually tries on most every shift. Sure sometimes he misses a ton of chances, or makes ******** plays from time to time. But if you don't think he's trying to improve or has improved, you've been blinded by what you read on these boards.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Marchy79

Ribeiro has been debated around here forever.... Unfortunately, I believe it's due to people seeing their view of the hockey player Ribeiro represents.

In what was considered a 'bad season' by so many around here, must not realize that Mike Ribeiro was middle of the pack in second line scoring (# 47/60)... He contributed 53 points, and yes he went through those slumps... but I am in belief it was a sophomore slump.

People say Mike ribeiro doesnt suit their mould of what a second line center should be... The last 1/4 + playoffs changed a total hater of Mike Ribeiro in to an absolute fan. He was beginning to really grow in to his role, and all distractions aside... Mike Ribeiro at the end of the season is not the same guy that went in to the beginning of the year IMO.
He worked incredibly hard after the trade deadline, Gainey was putting his polish on his game. I for one dont expect a rebound season.... I expect a season of growth out of him... He was one of our stronger forecheckers down the stretch... He was making great plays in neutral ice, scoring pivotal goals against teams like the Sens down the stretch with the Thrashers breating down our necks...
If the Mike Ribeiro that showed up in the time frame I am talking about in the upcoming season... IMO, a lot of people will be believers of the man.

In all finality, I'd like to think for a second... of A solid combination of Sammy, Kovy, and a playmaker like Ribs... With that determination he earned his last chance... Basically a reprieve, cause the axe was going to come down on him... However Mikey realized something as well... His value was ... That's what IMO committed the change in his game. We WILL see a determined Mike Ribeiro... I am convinced of it

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
As for a lack of heart, Ribs seems to be one of the few players who actually tries on most every shift.
I have no issue with you saying that Ribs tries on most every shift, but I would have to disagree with the statement that he is one of the "few" players that actually tries. I would say that all the players, with the odd shift off (and I am including Kovalev) give it all, especially come playoff time. Look at the team - Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Begin, Murray...to name a few.

Just remember (and this goes to all posters) that a lack of productive stats in a given game does not equal a lack of effort.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
AMEN!!! I agree, whenever he wants to start being a team player and give a little heart, then I'll cut him some slack. But if he is going to continue just going through the motions and lollygagging around on the ice, then he will continue to be the target for negative comments.
Yes he has skill and yes he could be a great hockey player in this league, but he has only shown a very little glimpse of his skills so far, his poor attitude and lack of heart is what it keeping him from making that next step to an elite playmaker.
Did you actually watch last year or did you just have your Ribs hate blinders on? He was one of (note: "one of" not "only") the hardest working players on the ice last year...albeit in the latter half of the season... Course, it would be nice if his pint sized body was able to make a dent on the opponent when going into the corners.
Take off the blinders and you would notice that it isn't a lack of trying or his attitude that is keeping Ribs back (because he "IS" trying) but his pint size body and his sloth like speed.
And frankly he isn't "supposed" to be an elite player. If he was...err...who's going to be on the second line because he would be on the first line if that was the case.

Old
08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees View Post
So far i have never hard of a teammate or coach of his saying he's not a team guy so until i hear it from one of those then imo he's a great team guy.
But then again how often do you hear NHL players complain about their teamates to the media? From a professional standpoint it sure seems like something that would happen all the time, especially if the player was suspect of not playing his hardest. I'm sure it wouldn't be a counterproductive measure that coaches would get awfully upset about top the player who complained.. nope... not a distraction at all.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Karl Pilkington

One thing I'll mention as well is that Ribeiro was showing signs of improvement late in the season. He played with grit unlike what he's showed before.. he even brandished scruffy facial hair to go along with it. The only thing that didn't really improve was he still seemed to whine on the ice more than a player should.. but he's getting older and more experienced and that will also change.

If he continues to improve his grit and determination - and I'm sure with Bob Gainey as GM and Guy Carbonneau as coach he will - then we'll have a pretty decent second line center...

.. I wish he'd gain some weight though.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
I have no issue with you saying that Ribs tries on most every shift, but I would have to disagree with the statement that he is one of the "few" players that actually tries. I would say that all the players, with the odd shift off (and I am including Kovalev) give it all, especially come playoff time. Look at the team - Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Begin, Murray...to name a few.

Just remember (and this goes to all posters) that a lack of productive stats in a given game does not equal a lack of effort.
Well I didn't properly reflect when I said few, but imo he outworks Kovalev, Ryder, Bonk in most games. Only it doesn't come in the stats so people tend to forget about it.

I just hate the fact that even in the off-season, people bicker about the team. Just wait till the puck drops in Oct, if Bob was willing to give him another chance, surely he sees something that you guys don't.

Old
08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post

Arrogant: yes
Lack of work ethic: who's to say?
Poor team player: who's to say?

I would argue that in the game of hockey a players work ethic can not only be seen from the stands but on televised broadcasts as well. When a player shows a lack of work that often translates into him being a poor team player. I have witnessed Riberio lack of work on the ice for a number of years both at the games and on TV. But don't take my word for it ask anyone who has played the game or even the scouting reports on Mikey.

I would like to see Riberio flourish this season. His work is cut out for him though he will be the weak link on a powerful second line. Kovy & Sammy will not be as patient as the "I love Mike fans".

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:01 AM
HCH

There just doesn't seem to be any middle ground with Ribeiro. Those that don't like his style of play bash him like he is the worst player in the league. Those on the other side of the argument try to inflate his value to the team to levels beyond reality... calling him one of the hardest working players on the team, for example.

Unless he can benefit from playing with his new Russion linemates and have a breakthrough season, Ribs will settle into the role of a middle of the road player. Too many defenicies to be great and too much skill to be called a journeyman.

If Gainey did view him as a legitimate #2 center, then he wouldn't have tried to sign Arnott and would likely have rewarded Ribs with a multi-year contract.

I will be surprised (happily) if Ribs comes out with an 80 point season this year. I will also be surprised if he totally flops. Right now he is the best alternative we have as a #2 center.

Let's accept his contribution, berate when he slacks off and applaud him when he dazzles.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I would like to see Riberio flourish this season. His work is cut out for him though he will be the weak link on a powerful second line. Kovy & Sammy will not be as patient as the "I love Mike fans".
Kovy was sure ''patient'' last year when he asked to play with Ribeiro, even when they were both in a slump.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Netro

Quote:
Well I didn't properly reflect when I said few, but imo he outworks Kovalev, Ryder, Bonk in most games. Only it doesn't come in the stats so people tend to forget about it.

I just hate the fact that even in the off-season, people bicker about the team. Just wait till the puck drops in Oct, if Bob was willing to give him another chance, surely he sees something that you guys don't.
What we will never know is if BG is giving him another chance or settling for him because he was unable to get anyone better.

Regardless, this is a make or break it year for Ribs. I hope for the Habs sake, he makes it.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
My point exactly. I don't get where people are coming from saying he's a poor team guy.

Arrogant: yes
Lack of work ethic: who's to say?
Poor team player: who's to say?

I think people are confusing on-ice intensity with poor work ethic and cocky attitude with poor team player.
Lack of work ethic: Still weighing 175 pounds at 6 foot 1 while being drafted almost a decade ago. In one word: Pathetic.

Poor team player: Saying stuff like "If Ryder we're to convert on more of my chances than maybe we wouldn't have trouble scoring" pretty much proves it. I would of loved to hear what Kovalev had to say regarding Ribeiro's playoffs... although we already know that Ribeiro is the only senseless brat on the team who'd make comments like that.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Lack of work ethic: Still weighing 175 pounds at 6 foot 1 while being drafted almost a decade ago. In one word: Pathetic.

Poor team player: Saying stuff like "If Ryder we're to convert on more of my chances than maybe we wouldn't have trouble scoring" pretty much proves it. I would of loved to hear what Kovalev had to say regarding Ribeiro's playoffs... although we already know that Ribeiro is the only senseless brat on the team who'd make comments like that.
Where was that quote from ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Do you think that Scott isn't working around the clock with Ribs? The guy would lose his job if he didn't. I'd be very surprised if Ribs doesn't show up at 185-190 next season (which isn't big, but still better). As for a lack of heart, Ribs seems to be one of the few players who actually tries on most every shift. Sure sometimes he misses a ton of chances, or makes ******** plays from time to time. But if you don't think he's trying to improve or has improved, you've been blinded by what you read on these boards.
To the best of my knowledge, the CH doesn't operate like an outpatient clinic. Their training staff outlines a fitness program for players. They provide a facility for these players. These players are grown men who then have to take advantage of their time and opportunity. Working around the clock ? I don't think it works like that. I'm sure Gainey knows who shows up. Some players use their own trainers, their own gyms. I think it's a myth about the level of supervision. Part of being mature enough to be a solid pro is being mature enough to condition yourself.

If Ribeiro is perceived to need a little more bulk, why now ? Do you think this is a new issue ? If a trainer's firm hand was required, it would have happened already. It's about Ribs understanding what it takes.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
IIRC Ribs was quoted in cyberpresse or some such. It was near the beginning of the season while Dags was still on the team and that line wasn't playing very well. Ribs went and put the blame on Ryder saying that Ryder wasn't scoring on all the "great" feeds he was giving him.

Hab at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
What we will never know is if BG is giving him another chance or settling for him because he was unable to get anyone better.

Regardless, this is a make or break it year for Ribs. I hope for the Habs sake, he makes it.
That's what I was thinking too... perhaps Bob doesn't have other choices than to keep him around until he has something better. Who knows what could happen, some players could best Ribs in training camp (Plekanec, Grabovsky, ?Higgins?) or later in the season...

I too hope he gets consistent this year... but I'm tired of those 'let's give him another chance!' because he's got so many now...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:

Lack of work ethic for being 175? Dude (or dudette), some people just aren't built in a way that they can naturally get big, just like some models can eat like a cow, not workout, not take drugs and not get liposuction and still look like a toothpick. I don't know if that is the case but I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I suppose Ribs could start taking steriods to get big but...that brings (imo) other problems into the mix.

As for lack of ethics in general, well, yeah, he is a punk so I would never consider him a classy guy And he should really shut his mouth sometimes.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it View Post
IIRC Ribs was quoted in cyberpresse or some such. It was near the beginning of the season while Dags was still on the team and that line wasn't playing very well. Ribs went and put the blame on Ryder saying that Ryder wasn't scoring on all the "great" feeds he was giving him.
That sounds like the other quote everyone got excited about that proved to be false.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
"Si Michael Ryder avait complété la moitié des chances de marquer que je lui ai procurées, le problème ne se poserait pas"
http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...01-100200.html

Translation: If Ryder converted on half the scoring chances I've given him, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Disgusting, isn't it?

Old
08-02-2006, 10:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Lack of work ethic for being 175? Dude (or dudette), some people just aren't built in a way that they can naturally get big, just like some models can eat like a cow, not workout and not get liposuction and still look like a toothpick. I don't know if that is the case but I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I suppose Ribs could start taking steriods to get big but...that brings (imo) other problems into the mix.

As for lack of ethics in general, well, yeah, he is a punk so I would never consider him a classy guy And he should really shut his mouth sometimes.

That's another issue, about his mouth. What has he really said ? I've heard him say that he didn't step up last Christmas when teh team needed him. I heard him say that he wouldn't talk to the Team990 because they made a few jokes about him, than relented because, in his words, the reporter was 'cute'.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but I think a lot of this is unfair, and in some cases dishonest.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:28 AM
mcphee

Quote:
"Si Michael Ryder avait complété la moitié des chances de marquer que je lui ai procurées, le problème ne se poserait pas"
http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...01-100200.html

Translation: If Ryder converted on half the scoring chances I've given him, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Disgusting, isn't it?
It would be unprofessional and the sort of talk I wouldn't have on a team that I was running. To believe it though, I'd have to hear the words, I'm getting very skeptical about this stuff.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
It would be unprofessional and the sort of talk I wouldn't have on a team that I was running. To believe it though, I'd have to hear the words, I'm getting very skeptical about this stuff.
Oh cmon. That link's legit and it isn't something to put past Ribeiro in the first place so just face the music.

Old
08-02-2006, 10:35 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
That's another issue, about his mouth. What has he really said ? I've heard him say that he didn't step up last Christmas when teh team needed him. I heard him say that he wouldn't talk to the Team990 because they made a few jokes about him, than relented because, in his words, the reporter was 'cute'.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but I think a lot of this is unfair, and in some cases dishonest.
Well, not sure what I believe from the media as I generally think all media to a certain extent (or all depending on the country and or situation) ...err...are rather deceitful or at least selectively showcase news in such a way to catch more viewership attention.
As such, in general, I keep a "give person the benefit of the doubt" type attitude no matter what dumb line comes out of their mouths.