HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Countdown is on: 3 days till Jays Home Opener!

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
who gets more pumped. reyes or lawrie ?
If Reyes and Lawrie high-five, it will involve so much energy that the resulting shockwave will level the stadium and a 6 mile radius around it.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Reyes steals home !

Old
03-18-2013, 10:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Reyes steals home !
Not a steal. He scored on the wild pitch/passed ball.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

encarnacion

Old
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Not a steal. He scored on the wild pitch/passed ball.
Yea my bad, thought they were the same .

Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

**** corey perry signed

Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

This game really is Dominican Blue Jays vs. Netherlands lol

Old
03-18-2013, 10:11 PM
TMLeafer

Blue Jays come in and put DR in the driver's seat. Sierra, Reyes, and EE with the RBIs in that inning?

Toronto Maple Leafs: Sustaining unsustainability since 2013. Or... maybe not..
Old
03-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Blue Jays come in and put DR in the driver's seat. Sierra, Reyes, and EE with the RBIs in that inning?
Yessir.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:46 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

This has been a weird game.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
yeah. and of that group I listed, it's not guaranteed all of them make it down. Moscoso and Schwimer I think might have to pass through waivers to be assigned. I'm not sure.
A
I also have to think that Bush would get tabbed for a starter spot if he sticks with the organization. He's never been a bullpen guy for an extended period of time. Meanwhile, if Fangraphs' stats for the Mexican League is to be trusted, Vargas has logged a ton of bullpen innings over the last 4ish years. I could see:

Rotation
Happ
Jenkins
Germano
Bush
Ortiz

Bullpen
Vargas
Lincoln
Crawford
Beck
Schwimer
Carreno
Loup

and let's just pretend Moscoso doesn't make it through waivers.

I really think Carreno has some ML potential as a late-innings arm.
I'd definitely expect Carreno and Crawford to pitch in AA. Jenkins too perhaps. Loup too. It might be better for the legit prospects to pitch in AA too, that's where most of the talent is anyways.

A lot of the pitchers we picked up through waivers will likely pitch in AAA. There is certainly depth AA has managed to build up in AAA and AA despite trades and injuries.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:06 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I'd definitely expect Carreno and Crawford to pitch in AA. Jenkins too perhaps. Loup too. It might be better for the legit prospects to pitch in AA too, that's where most of the talent is anyways.

A lot of the pitchers we picked up through waivers will likely pitch in AAA. There is certainly depth AA has managed to build up in AAA and AA despite trades and injuries.
That was the plan pre-Buffalo. Now, we want to actually use our AAA team.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:10 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

You don`t think it`d be important to push our pitching prospects all the way to AAA now? I certainly do.

And I think they'd see plenty of talent in the IL without risk of getting hammered like last year.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Will Bonifacio get much playing time?

Old
03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
mapes

Wow. So I had bought a Lawrie shirt and first time I wore it was March 8th (At the game). Lettering is fading already..

Old
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Wow. So I had bought a Lawrie shirt and first time I wore it was March 8th (At the game). Lettering is fading already..
Geez. Where did you buy it from? I bought mine from the Dome, and it look just like new after several wash cycles.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Will Bonifacio get much playing time?
According to some reports, Bonifacio might be our regular 2B and Izturis might be limited to spot duty around the infield and the bench.

Regardless of that, though, most everyone seems to expect he'll play as often as they can get him in, and since he can play nearly every position but 1B, C and P, that'll probably still result in ~100 games and 300-400 ABs.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
You don`t think it`d be important to push our pitching prospects all the way to AAA now? I certainly do.

And I think they'd see plenty of talent in the IL without risk of getting hammered like last year.
I do but if there isn't much space for them in AAA, pitching in Double A is probably even better for them. Jenkins and Loup could perhaps pitch in AAA but I don't expect to see Crawford or Carreno there -- they were awful last season.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
According to some reports, Bonifacio might be our regular 2B and Izturis might be limited to spot duty around the infield and the bench.

Regardless of that, though, most everyone seems to expect he'll play as often as they can get him in, and since he can play nearly every position but 1B, C and P, that'll probably still result in ~100 games and 300-400 ABs.

The knock on Bonifacio is he's not nearly as good defensively as Izturis. While he can play several defensive positions he doesn't excel defensively in any of them. He needs to get comfortable at second base and grow with the position - Maybe he can take a huge leap like Lawrie did at 3rd and really grow with the position... but it will be hard to be patient if he struggles as you no Izturis is already the better defensive player. Offensively Bonifacio can be a pretty dangerous player mainly because of his speed, however he does strikeout to much (strikes out 20 percent of the time)

While I acknowledge Bonifacio has the higher potential as of now I will admitt I would prefer Izturis at 2B for the bulk of the time. He's the safer option, he has better range and he's less error prone. Izturis (+11.6 UZR) Bonafacio (-2.6 UZR) Also Izturis strikes out far less then Emilio at 10.7 percent. Reyes isn't exactly elite defensively either so you want to have that strong defensive second basemen. In the end there similar offensively with Bonifacio offering more speed. Offensively I like both in the 9 hole.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
TheKule

Bonifacio is simply not a 2B. Poor defensive play there can significantly curtain the value that his slightly better bat would offer. That being said, the injury proneness of our two left side infielders pretty much guarentees that both will get 500-600 ABs so its all moot in my view.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Jose just hit his 4th homer of the Spring

Old
03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I expect Loup to be in Buffalo at least for practicality purposes since he'll likely be the first injury callup for the bullpen. And because he's already shown himself to be capable at the major league level, so it seems more fitting to send him to AAA than back down to AA.

Carreno I also think could stick at AAA too. He might've been awful last year, but he was awful as a starter. He's a much better reliever and could probably handle Buffalo as a 7th-8th inning arm.

also Fangraphs continued its positional power rankings today with the OF spots.

Left Field
Jays Rank: 19th (Cabrera, Davis, Bonifacio)

Quote:
One of the more shrewd signings of the off season, the Blue Jays pick up Melky Cabrera on the cheap due to what I’d describe to my rugrats as “bad choices.” The projection is a little bearish on playing time for Cabrera, who has been a pretty healthy player over his career, having never spent time on the disabled list. There is a looming cloud relative to Cabrera’s prior transgressions, however, and it’s been floated that he could be disciplined retroactively because all of this Biogenesis shenanigans. So the inherent skepticism in the projection is perhaps warranted.

Eyes will almost certainly be on his power performance as a Blue Jay, with many wondering if his recent spike in ISO as a Royal and Giant sync up with some nefarious science in his body. But Cabrera is still just 28, and knowing what we know about hitter aging curves it wouldn’t be completely out of, ahem, left field, to think that his power ought to be on the upswing. It’s true that as a Brave, his power was nonexistent, but that completely ignores the decent pop he had as a Yankee just the year prior

Time will tell. But for the time being, the Blue Jays have a left fielder in Cabrera that should give them good production for the next two seasons. Backing up will be Rajai Davis, who will presumably back up all outfield slots heading into 2013 unless Colby Rasmus falters, in which case it’s possible he falls into regular playing time in center. But as far as left field goes, the speedster probably won’t see much time unless the league finds more books to throw at Cabrera.

Center Field

Jays Rank: 25th (Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio, Davis)

Quote:
Like I said before, I was a big Rasmus guy but he hasn’t been able to put it all together yet. The 26-year-old has very legitimate power, but he’s a big-time fly ball hitter who doesn’t drew enough walks to offset the damage they do to his batting average and by extension, on-base percentage. Rasmus has a lot of talent and could really breakout at any given moment, but I’m no longer on the bandwagon.
The Blue Jays have plenty of center field depth should they need to go in another direction for whatever reason. Gose, 22, has speed and some power to go along with good defense, but he’s likely ticketed for Triple-A to start the year. The 27-year-old Bonifacio figures to see most of his time at second base and as a supersub than anything while Davis, 32, could wind up getting a lot more playing time than projected as a platoon bat. Melky Cabrera is another center field alternative, but he’s way down on the depth chart now.

Right Field

Jays Rank: 3rd (Bautista, Davis, Sierra)

Quote:
Given his age (32) and injury history, it’s probably good for the Blue Jays that Jose Bautista’s backups are slightly better than Heyward’s. And you could say that Rajai Davis is a better corner outfield defender than he’s shown. With Anthony Gose still in the system, there are a few different configurations that could either serve to fill in for an injured Bautista or keep him healthy with periodic rests. And it’s worth trying to keep that bat in the lineup — even in a down year that was ended prematurely with a wrist injury, Bautista showed his customary power and patience to the tune of park-adjusted offense that was 40% better than the league average. He’s still got some great years in him.
And to continue the trend of noting the Marlins ranks for comedy:

LF: 30th
CF: 26th
RF: 1st (all on Stanton)

so with all 8 non-pitcher fielding positions ranked, Miami only stayed out of the bottom 5/6 once, all on the back of the only significantly noteworthy talent they still have on the ML roster. Ouch.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 03-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
I expect Loup to be in Buffalo at least for practicality purposes since he'll likely be the first injury callup for the bullpen. And because he's already shown himself to be capable at the major league level, so it seems more fitting to send him to AAA than back down to AA.

Carreno I also think could stick at AAA too. He might've been awful last year, but he was awful as a starter. He's a much better reliever and could probably handle Buffalo as a 7th-8th inning arm.

also Fangraphs continued its positional power rankings today with the OF spots.

Left Field
Jays Rank: 19th (Cabrera, Davis, Bonifacio)

Center Field

Jays Rank: (Rasmus, Gose, Bonifacio, Davis)

Right Field

Jays Rank: 3rd (Bautista, Davis, Sierra)

And to continue the trend of noting the Marlins ranks for comedy:

LF: 30th
CF: 26th
RF: 1st (all on Stanton)

so with all 8 non-pitcher fielding positions ranked, Miami only stayed out of the bottom 5/6 once, all on the back of the only significantly noteworthy talent they still have on the ML roster. Ouch.
You didn't list the rank for 'center', but it might be a good thing you didn't. Only one spot ahead of Miami.

Even with the loss of Snider, Marisnik, and Mastroianni(dfa'd), the outfield is still a position of strength for us.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Nick0930

Pity rank for Miami in RF.

Lind better some save hits for the regular season.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKule View Post
Bonifacio is simply not a 2B. Poor defensive play there can significantly curtain the value that his slightly better bat would offer. That being said, the injury proneness of our two left side infielders pretty much guarentees that both will get 500-600 ABs so its all moot in my view.
Doesn't seem like there has been any defensive problems for Bonifacio this spring. Looks better than Johnson for sure.

Closed Thread