2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 11:18 PM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apx View Post
First post on this forum, hello everyone!

I've been a lurker for almost a year now, signed up in January and am just making my first post now!

Anyway, here is a mock draft I came up with (Not including Day as rumor has it, he's not getting ES)

1. Ottawa: Travis Konecny - F
2. Erie: Dylan Strome - F
3. Peterborough: Matt Spencer - D
4. Mississauga: Brett McKenzie - F
5. Kingston: Lawson Crouse - F
6. Niagara: Nikita Korostelev - F
7. Sudbury: Mitchell Stephens - F
8. Saginaw: Kyle Capobianco - D
9. Sarnia: Troy Henley - D
10. North Bay: Zack Werenski - D
11. SSM: Blake Speers - F
12. Guelph: Cameron Lizotte - D
13. Oshawa: Michael Davies - F
14. Kitchener: Jordan Greenway - F
15. Plymouth: Garrett McFadden - D
16. Barrie: Tyler MacArthur - D
17. Owen Sound: Mitchell Marner - F
18. Belleville: Cole Mayo - D
19. London: Ethan Szypula - F

I am definitely a fan of Mitchell Marner, I don't see too much talk on here about him but I wouldn't be surprised if he went late 1st - 2nd round.
Welcome APX, and nice mock draft.

Marner should go first round, and I know that you know something that alot of others dont know.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Welcome APX, and nice mock draft.

Marner should go first round, and I know that you know something that alot of others dont know.
Chewer who do you think the Petes will/should take in the first round and who may be available too then with their early 2nd rounder?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Most teams have McCool in the top 15. If he goes in the top 10, good for him. I don't care who the agent is, no team will use a top 10 pick on a player they don't believe in as a favour, that's coming from someone who's worked for both a team and with an agent.

In the later rounds, sure, not top 10. Besides that, in a draft that has little top line forwards, McCool has the ability to be one, as witnessed by his playoffs and performance in the OMHA's.

As far as Capobianco goes, Hes rated by Central as a top 5 pick. Agent has nothing to do with that either, OHL Central think he's a top pick, as do some teams. Opinions on him are somewhat all over the board on him, but there are more then enough who love him.
That same agent was able to get Niagara to draft Graham and Mercer at #6 and #8, and we all know what happened 1 week later.

All I am saying, is that there is an ideal world, and then there is the real world.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Chewer who do you think the Petes will/should take in the first round and who may be available too then with their early 2nd rounder?
They should take Spencer or Henley with their 3rd pick, whichever one is available, as both will compete.

With their 2nd or 3rd round pick, they should take a speedy playmaker like Eastman, or Barwell, and then take Baird with their next pick. They will need a type of Tom Wilson to keep calm in Petes land, since Mathers is leaving.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
They should take Spencer or Henley with their 3rd pick, whichever one is available, as both will compete.

With their 2nd or 3rd round pick, they should take a speedy playmaker like Eastman, or Barwell, and then take Baird with their next pick. They will need a type of Tom Wilson to keep calm in Petes land, since Mathers is leaving.
I haven't heard much chatter about Eastman on this board, where does he play?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
That same agent was able to get Niagara to draft Graham and Mercer at #6 and #8, and we all know what happened 1 week later.

All I am saying, is that there is an ideal world, and then there is the real world.
Ok, and what happened to that GM? Your also ignoring that at that time, no players really wanted to play in Niagara. There was a reason that they had 2 1st round picks.

Its ok to look back, but you need scope and to understand the issues that Niagara had back then. That had alot less to do with the agent and alot more to do with the team.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I haven't heard much chatter about Eastman on this board, where does he play?
He plays for Central Ontario and had some good talent around him, like Clark, Bricknell and Cornel. Kid has some serious high end speed. A little on the smallish side.

Cornel may be a good option also, but I dont know if they want 2 Cornels on 1 team. LOL

Old
03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I also think they should draft Henley #3. With the second round pick, Id look at Adam Craievich, Graham Knott, Hayden Broomhead, Josh Coyle.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:39 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Ok, and what happened to that GM? Your also ignoring that at that time, no players really wanted to play in Niagara. There was a reason that they had 2 1st round picks.

Its ok to look back, but you need scope and to understand the issues that Niagara had back then. That had alot less to do with the agent and alot more to do with the team.
You answered my question. Mercer was not a top 10 pick, but because the agent and GM were comfortable with each other, voila.

They had a compensation pick, because they took Lessio, who they knew wouldnt report, and then somehow stole Hamilton in the 2nd round. They still ended up with a first rounder (Hamilton), and a #8 compensatory pick for the next year.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:39 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I also think they should draft Henley #3. With the second round pick, Id look at Adam Craievich, Graham Knott, Hayden Broomhead, Josh Coyle.
I have heard the Petes have 2 Gold packages available so they should be able to get a quality forward with their early 2nd rounder!

Old
03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
All good picks in the 2nd round. Knott may not be there by their 2nd round pick.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:44 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I have heard the Petes have 2 Gold packages available so they should be able to get a quality forward with their early 2nd rounder!
Be careful handing out 1st round school packages, as you may get caught with a player that goes south, and then you cant trade him, such as Teskey.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:44 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
The playoffs also should help lure kids. Id invite one to each home game it will give the player chills.

The 4 players I mentioned above at least 3 I imagine being there. I think Craievich (local boy) might be looked at by Sarnia with #18. Wont go earlier than #18 I dont think. That second round pick has so much lee-way to it. I could name 10 guys who could go in that spot and it would make sense.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:45 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
What's the knock on Craievich? He seems to have lots of offensive tools what's holding him back from first rounder status?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
All good picks in the 2nd round. Knott may not be there by their 2nd round pick.
Im not sold on Knott being a first rounder, not enough skill at the OHL level I dont think. I think early second, but u could be right. It would not be crazy for that too happen, I just dont see enough high end skill, I see a high end energy guy with some offensive skill.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
What's the knock on Craievich? He seems to have lots of offensive tools what's holding him back from first rounder status?
Sometimes playing on a team with alot of stars can over value a player, and sometimes undervalue a player. Good examples are Bennett and Addison on last year's marlies.

Craievich seems to have all the tools,but may be benefitting by getting second tier line matches?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
The knock is the feet, slightly heavy feet. His shot is one of the best in the 97 group. Its not just hard, it has laser like accuracy. One shot scorer and from deep in the slot too. As I said before this kid is top 5 threat from the slot with the puck on his stick. The more I think of it, the more Im convinced that he goes in the first round. He was flat out deadly in the OHL cup semi's and final's, he had a good year. He would be dangerous on any OHL pp next year with his shot. U would draft him and work on his legs and call Barb Underhill to be his summer skating coach and sleep easy at night.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
chewerjones

I can see guys like Fanjoy and Johnston from the Ottawa Senators being sleeper picks.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:54 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I can see guys like Fanjoy and Johnston from the Ottawa Senators being sleeper picks.
I like those 2 guys as well. I really like Tristan Liggett. Are u familar with him? Im sold on his potential, a potential steal there.

Another player I really like Leo Stolpe, swedish born, I think his potential may sky rocket over the years. I dont think he can be drafted though,Import and has to wait until he is 17.

I think the 67's will select Kris Myllari from the Sens with the #20 pick.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
You answered my question. Mercer was not a top 10 pick, but because the agent and GM were comfortable with each other, voila.

They had a compensation pick, because they took Lessio, who they knew wouldnt report, and then somehow stole Hamilton in the 2nd round. They still ended up with a first rounder (Hamilton), and a #8 compensatory pick for the next year.
I know what happened. My point was that the organization was in disarray. Top players did not want to report (Lessio not reporting hurt). Your missing my point. In situations like that, its not the agent that is 'pulling the strings', its a GM and organization that is struggling to find worth players to select.

Ill ask for a second option, one that doesn't include an organization that was not in disarray. It hasn't happened because that GM was soon fired. There are only 20 of these jobs in the world, not gonna throw that job away to help a buddy.

The Hamilton situation was due to him only wanting to play in Niagara. His parents moved to St. Catherine's and wanted both brothers together. Dougie had offers from every top school.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Gensfan9

Quote:

Chewer is right with his statement and you don't know what happened in niagara or the story behind what happened, because if you did, you wouldn't be throwing the mess on the GM

Old
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
I know what happened. My point was that the organization was in disarray. Top players did not want to report (Lessio not reporting hurt). Your missing my point. In situations like that, its not the agent that is 'pulling the strings', its a GM and organization that is struggling to find worth players to select.

Ill ask for a second option, one that doesn't include an organization that was not in disarray. It hasn't happened because that GM was soon fired. There are only 20 of these jobs in the world, not gonna throw that job away to help a buddy.

The Hamilton situation was due to him only wanting to play in Niagara. His parents moved to St. Catherine's and wanted both brothers together. Dougie had offers from every top school.
I can see your point. But what if GM thought that owner wouldnt question his selections, and thus picked 2 kids from an agent that he had a comfortable rapport with?

Also, why didnt Niagara select Hamilton with first round pick? Its was like Windsor trading down 2nd round picks a few years ago to select Rychel. Kinda pushing the envelope a bit too much, dont you think.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Chewer is right with his statement and you don't know what happened in niagara or the story behind what happened, because if you did, you wouldn't be throwing the mess on the GM
Really? Are you sure? With all due respect, Ive been around the league for more then a few years. I get the issues there. The point is, that MESS is what kept players from wanting to report. The GM found suitable players because of that mess. The GM was fired. End of the day, thats the last time you have seen a situation like that. Once doesn't make a trend. It was not a situation where an agent pulled the strings, it was a situation where no top 94 would have reported.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:06 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
I like those 2 guys as well. I really like Tristan Liggett. Are u familar with him? Im sold on his potential, a potential steal there.

Another player I really like Leo Stolpe, swedish born, I think his potential may sky rocket over the years. I dont think he can be drafted though,Import and has to wait until he is 17.

I think the 67's will select Kris Myllari from the Sens with the #20 pick.
Agree with the dman for Ottawa with their 20th pick.

Liggett has size, and calmness, but seems to have to work on his feet. But definitely an eye catcher at the OHL cup.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Really? Are you sure? With all due respect, Ive been around the league for more then a few years. I get the issues there. The point is, that MESS is what kept players from wanting to report. The GM found suitable players because of that mess. Thats my point, the mess is what made that situation, not an agent making a deal.
I agree that there was a mess there, and it was difficult to get players to report, but why not select Hamilton with their 7th pick overall? It seems lik they were just adding to their mess.

Its not the agent alone that pulls the strings, but rather the two of them (GM and agent).

Closed Thread