HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Respect for Mikey (merged)

Old
08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Oh cmon. That link's legit and it isn't something to put past Ribeiro in the first place so just face the music.
Face the music ? Am I in for a detention here ?
Was he making an actual statement ? Was he sitting beside Ryder and bugging him the same way I'd bug a buddy if he didn't score from second on my single ? Was he actually going after Ryder ? There's been so much stuff out there, that I don't believe a lot anymore. The biggest storm around the team was Kovy's commenets about Begin,which he shouldn't have made. In fact, I think CJ's leaving in some way was linked to the after effects of it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Lack of work ethic for being 175? Dude (or dudette), some people just aren't built in a way that they can naturally get big, just like some models can eat like a cow, not workout, not take drugs and not get liposuction and still look like a toothpick. I don't know if that is the case but I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I suppose Ribs could start taking steriods to get big but...that brings (imo) other problems into the mix.

As for lack of ethics in general, well, yeah, he is a punk so I would never consider him a classy guy And he should really shut his mouth sometimes.
It's not an issue of getting big... it's an issue of being a normal sized NHL player. Don't tell me we're stuck with one of the only players in modern NHL history who has trouble cracking 175 despite being 6'1 (goalies aside). Even Briere who's knocked for being slight weighs more than Ribeiro despite being a fair bit shorter. It just boils down to Ribeiro being too lazy to get himself to 190-195. He'd need to devote almost every waking second towards conditioning to get up to 195 but it's doable and with the type of commitment the Habs have shown him for almost a decade it should be expected for Mike to give back at least that much but he just isn't willing to do it and with his attitude, I wouldn't hold my breath.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Face the music ? Am I in for a detention here ?
Was he making an actual statement ? Was he sitting beside Ryder and bugging him the same way I'd bug a buddy if he didn't score from second on my single ? Was he actually going after Ryder ? There's been so much stuff out there, that I don't believe a lot anymore. The biggest storm around the team was Kovy's commenets about Begin,which he shouldn't have made. In fact, I think CJ's leaving in some way was linked to the after effects of it.
mcphee to the principal's office please, mcphee to the pricinpal's office.

The context of the comments are important, the team was slumping and the writer did state that he did not feel that the intent was malicious, only that it was unusual to hear a player make that type of comment. For my part, the statement was ill-advised, but the coaching staff/management likely dealt with it (to the extent it required being dealt with) behind closed doors, which is good enough for me.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:00 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
It's not an issue of getting big... it's an issue of being a normal sized NHL player. Don't tell me we're stuck with one of the only players in NHL history who has trouble cracking 175 despite being 6'1 (goalies aside). Even Briere who's knocked for being slight weighs more than Ribeiro despite being a fair bit shorter. It just boils down to Ribeiro being too lazy to get himself to 190-195. He'd need to devote almost every waking second towards conditioning to get up to 195 but it's doable and with the type of commitment the Habs have shown him for almost a decade it should be expected for Mike to give back at least that much but he just isn't willing to do it and with his attitude, frankly impossible.
Doable? Maybe. Worth it? Maybe not. I'm talking genetics. Some people are just genetically built in such a way to easily get bigger while others are not. Ribs could be those that have a terrible time getting bigger. If Ribs has to spend every waking hours of his life in the last decade to get from 175 to 195, frankly it's not worth it. And before anyone says something about him being a hockey player in the NHL on the most glorified team on the planet and thus should commit 100% to his job...it's a job. He has a life. Live with it. Is there one person on this board that dedecates 100% or even remotely close to that to their jobs? err...No, or else you wouldn't be reading this board. Sometimes the effort is...well, not worth it. Genetically he just may not be suited to become 195. Who knows what the truth is. Personally in my view, the fact that he can play in the NHL at 175 shows volumns as to his work ethics.
It is totally acceptable to say that Ribs is too small for the NHL or that he is too slow for the NHL but unless you "REALLY" know Ribs, I don't think it is correct to say that being 175 is because he's lazy. You (nor I) just don't know. As such, unless I "DO" know, I give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his work ethics.
And for the record, I do think he's too damn small and slow at the same time. If either one of those faults dissapears or lessened, I would be much happier with him.

Last edited by pepperMonkey: 08-02-2006 at 11:07 AM.
pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
BJCOLLINS

Look the size thing is a secondary issue. I've always felt that Mike lacks the intangibles like heart, take one for the team mentality, grit, class, unselfish, what ever positive extras you pin on a Canadian hockey player.

As for size Doug Gilmore was what 5'10" 155lbs................. nuff said.
(BTW where is Mark Flood the pick we got for Killer)

Last edited by BJCOLLINS: 08-02-2006 at 11:19 AM.
BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:15 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Doable? Maybe. Worth it? Maybe not. I'm talking genetics. Some people are just genetically built in such a way to easily get bigger while others are not. Ribs could be those that have a terrible time getting bigger. If Ribs has to spend every waking hours of his life in the last decade to get from 175 to 195, frankly it's not worth it. And before anyone says something about him being a hockey player in the NHL on the most glorified team on the planet and thus should commit 100% to his job...it's a job. He has a life. Live with it. Is there one person on this board that dedecates 100% or even remotely close to that to their jobs? err...No, or else you wouldn't be reading this board. Sometimes the effort is...well, not worth it. Genetically he just may not be suited to become 195. Who knows what the truth is. Personally in my view, the fact that he can play in the NHL at 175 shows volumns as to his work ethics.
It is totally acceptable to say that Ribs is too small for the NHL (not imo but) or that he is too slow for the NHL but unless you "REALLY" know Ribs, I don't think it is correct to say that being 175 is because he's lazy. You (nor I) just don't know. As such, unless I "DO" know, I give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his work ethics.
And for the record, I do think he's too damn small and slow. If either one of those faults dissapears or lessened, I would be much happier with him.
This isn't a job. It's a career. A career in which one only has a few years to ensure the long-term financial security of his family. He's lazy and selfish, and saying that "it's not worth his time" and "well nobody on this board is that devoted" surely isn't going to change my mind. 190 is well within his reach but the story is the same as it's been the past 10 years... little Mikey just can't cut it. It's not as though an extra few pounds is gonna take away Mikey's breakaway speed... or maybe he's just afraid that he'll go in reverse if he gets any heavier.

Old
08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
It is totally acceptable to say that Ribs is too small for the NHL or that he is too slow for the NHL but unless you "REALLY" know Ribs, I don't think it is correct to say that being 175 is because he's lazy. You (nor I) just don't know. As such, unless I "DO" know, I give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his work ethics.
And for the record, I do think he's too damn small and slow at the same time. If either one of those faults dissapears or lessened, I would be much happier with him.
Very bad example imo. How many people on this board get paid ~$2m/year at their job? It's expected that while the players do have time off in the summer they are to keep in shape or get in better shape in the off season. I'd never expect Ribeiro to be working out every day during the season but for the amount of money he's paid, the expectations and physical demands of the sport you better believe that he should be working out 4-5 times a week in the off season.

Hab at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Habs

Anyone notice how similar Ribs looks like Mark Anthony?

Mark Anthony ~ Jlo's husband | Actor | Musician

Mike Ribeiro ~ Mike Ribeiro Actor | Athlete

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
This isn't a job. It's a career. A career in which one only has a few years to ensure the long-term financial security of his family. He's lazy and selfish, and saying that "it's not worth his time" and "well nobody on this board is that devoted" surely isn't going to change my mind. 190 is well within his reach but the story is the same as it's been the past 10 years... little Mikey just can't cut it. It's not as though an extra few pounds is gonna take away Mikey's breakaway speed... or maybe he's just afraid that he'll go in reverse if he gets any heavier.
It is acceptable to say he may not be able to cut it but lazy and selfish because he doesn't get himself to 190? Yes, this is a career but is also a job. A job is part of your career. And when I say it is not worth it for the job I mean that for his career also. It's not mentally healthy to do so. All that happens is that person will eventually just break down. People needs to live their lives.
Do you "know" he is lazy? Do you "know" he is selfish? I'm not talking about what you hear from radio or TV because those are all biased as all media is biased in one form or another. All that is happening here is prejudgement before knowing all the facts. I don't profess to know what the facts are. For all I know, he really could be a lazy s.o.b who couldn't care less for the sport of hockey but as I don't know the facts, I'm not going to judge his character. It's not right for me to do so.
And besides, as was mentioned, being big isn't the be-all and end-all. Who cares what the bloody norm is.

Old
08-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
It is acceptable to say he may not be able to cut it but lazy and selfish because he doesn't get himself to 190? Yes, this is a career but is also a job. A job is part of your career. And when I say it is not worth it for the job I mean that for his career also. It's not mentally healthy to do so. All that happens is that person will eventually just break down. People needs to live their lives.
Do you "know" he is lazy? Do you "know" he is selfish? I'm not talking about what you hear from radio or TV because those are all biased as all media is biased in one form or another. All that is happening here is prejudgement before knowing all the facts. I don't profess to know what the facts are. For all I know, he really could be a lazy s.o.b who couldn't care less for the sport of hockey but as I don't know the facts, I'm not going to judge his character. It's not right for me to do so.
And besides, as was mentioned, being big isn't the be-all and end-all. Who cares what the bloody norm is.
Considering his tools, if Ribs was lazy, he would not have stayed in the NHL very long. Anyway, we can see that he works hard on the ice and he seems in good shape. It's far from sure that being bigger would make him better.

Gainey and Carbo know him much better than us and they gave him 1.9M.

Beatnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:42 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it View Post
Very bad example imo. How many people on this board get paid ~$2m/year at their job? It's expected that while the players do have time off in the summer they are to keep in shape or get in better shape in the off season. I'd never expect Ribeiro to be working out every day during the season but for the amount of money he's paid, the expectations and physical demands of the sport you better believe that he should be working out 4-5 times a week in the off season.
err...what tells you he's not? There is nothing that says he is not doing what he has to in order to stay fit and try to get bigger. It is actually possible to do everything you can within reason (without drugs, steriods blah blah) and still not get significantly bigger. Mind you, he may be training wrongly but that has nothing to do with lazyness. Unless I hear Gainey or someone on the coaching team saying Ribs is lazy and not trying enough to get bigger or otherwise slap him for his work ethics, I will keep my stance and give him the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge him.

Old
08-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Netro

To me, it is not Ribs size that is the issue. It is his size in addition to his lack of footspeed.

I'd prefer to see him work on improving his skating as opposed to adding bulk.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 11:46 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
To me, it is not Ribs size that is the issue. It is his size in addition to his lack of footspeed.

I'd prefer to see him work on improving his skating as opposed to adding bulk.
Agreed. Or at least shoot with more efficiency in any case. If he could only shoot like Dags...

Old
08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Ludo

Quote:
You're saying Ribs should be motivated considering the money he's making...

All Human Resource theories agree that money is NOT a source of motivation for employees (or athlete's in this case). It is not what will substain your drive day in and day out. The same applies to us on a smaller scale.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
All Human Resource theories agree that money is NOT a source of motivation for employees (or athlete's in this case). It is not what will substain your drive day in and day out. The same applies to us on a smaller scale.
First of all that's a theory so it doesn't apply to everybody and secondly all those studies were conducted in typical work settings and not the NHL so you can't even begin to draw your own conclusions.

Old
08-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Ludo

Quote:
First of all that's a theory so it doesn't apply to everybody and secondly all those studies were conducted in typical work settings and not the NHL so you can't even begin to draw your own conclusions.
You're right....theories don't apply to everyone....only a vast majority (which is why certain theories get tought in universities accross the globe).

Who spoke of typical work settings? The theories of motivation are not based solely on work settings...they are based on human behavior when faced with certain conditions (one of them being salary)...and that applies to NHL players.

Salary can be used to motivate if you hand it out as a performance based incentive...but once awarded a x year/y million dollar contract the effect of salary on motivation heads south very fast.

How long do you stay truly motivated after getting a raise? 1 week? 1 month? certainly not 1 year...
I'm just trying to point out that one should not say: "he should be motivated considering his salary".

Last edited by Ludo: 08-02-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
err...what tells you he's not? There is nothing that says he is not doing what he has to in order to stay fit and try to get bigger. It is actually possible to do everything you can within reason (without drugs, steriods blah blah) and still not get significantly bigger. Mind you, he may be training wrongly but that has nothing to do with lazyness. Unless I hear Gainey or someone on the coaching team saying Ribs is lazy and not trying enough to get bigger or otherwise slap him for his work ethics, I will keep my stance and give him the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge him.
You're one of the few people who know what they are talking about on this subject, so I applaud you. I tried bringing this up a while ago, but no one bought into it... When it comes to anything that might sound as a Ribs' excuse, people just won't listen.

I am 100% sure that Ribs' is an Ectomorph (I'd say 95% of the NHL are either Meso or Endo). We don't know how hard that he works in the gym, or how well he takes his nutrition, but I doubt that the staff (Scott) isn't helping him out in both domains. I don't think we should expect him to ever get up to 200pds, but 185 is possible (though I would expect 180).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Where in my post did I say he's not working out? I said it's expected of him, thus the reason all habs players are given fitness routines at the end of every season by Livingston(sp?).

I don't need to hear it from Gainey I've heard it from Ribeiro's own mouth last season when Saku and Kovy were injured he stated in an interview that he didn't put in the effort to pick up the slack. So call it laziness, lack of heart whatever but on more than one occasion Ribeiro has had the opportunity to step up when it's mattered and failed miserably.

Old
08-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I don't need to hear it from Gainey I've heard it from Ribeiro's own mouth last season when Saku and Kovy were injured he stated in an interview that he didn't put in the effort to pick up the slack. So call it laziness lack of heart whatever but on more than one occasion Ribeiro has had the opportunity to step up when it's mattered and failed miserably.
He was man enough to admit it...So the guy has matured a little bit. Once both returned, I thought Ribs played the most inspired hockey he's played since being in the NHL, but he didn't produce as much as we all would've liked.

Old
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You're one of the few people who know what they are talking about on this subject, so I applaud you. I tried bringing this up a while ago, but no one bought into it... When it comes to anything that might sound as a Ribs' excuse, people just won't listen.

I am 100% sure that Ribs' is an Ectomorph (I'd say 95% of the NHL are either Meso or Endo). We don't know how hard that he works in the gym, or how well he takes his nutrition, but I doubt that the staff (Scott) isn't helping him out in both domains. I don't think we should expect him to ever get up to 200pds, but 185 is possible (though I would expect 180).
I can't really side with you 100% because as I have been mentioning, I don't have all the facts. As such I can't say I'm on one camp or the other. I probably lean towards your end more than the other but otherwise... I aslo think 180 is realistic. But as others mentioned, I hope he works more on his foot speed since I rather see that go up than his body mass, but just like his body mass, you never know what his limits when it comes to footspeed. Such is life.

Old
08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
He was man enough to admit it...So the guy has matured a little bit. Once both returned, I thought Ribs played the most inspired hockey he's played since being in the NHL, but he didn't produce as much as we all would've liked.
So just because he says, "hey I was lazy," it all OK? I'm sorry that doesn't cut it im my books. Granted he started playing better when his two amigos were shipped out of town(much after Koivu and Kovy came back) but as you said he didn't produce.

It's funny the double standards on here Koivu went on a scoring slump after the olympics and tons of people came on here crapping all over him for not producing even though the effort was there. While Ribs can not produce, admit to being lazy, play decent for around 20 games and disappear in the playoffs and yet appolgists for him fall all over themselves defending him to the moon.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Nothing Ribs ever does will put him in a good light to me as my opinion of him has been fixed due to his performances over the last few years.

Old
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
In his pics Ribs doesnt appear cut. 180 cut would be fine. Brisbois and Svoboda survived hehe

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
It's funny the double standards on here Koivu went on a scoring slump after the olympics and tons of people came on here crapping all over him for not producing even though the effort was there. While Ribs can not produce, admit to being lazy, play decent for around 20 games and disappear in the playoffs and yet appolgists for him fall all over themselves defending him to the moon.
Plek, Zednik, Ribs, Kovalev were the 4 most visible players during the playoffs (post-saku injury). So for you to say that Ribs disapeared is absolutely ridiculous. You could say that he choked, seeing as he was robbed of at least 4 scoring chances, but to say that he didn't show up is just stupid. Funny that everyone can talk about Ribs playing so bad in the playoffs but our beloved Markov and Komisarek's names never come up, even if they were our worst defensive pairing for the post-season, funny how many double standards there really are...

Old
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
You're saying Ribs should be motivated considering the money he's making...

All human resource data collectors, are probabaly earning minimum wage.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Where in my post did I say he's not working out? I said it's expected of him, thus the reason all habs players are given fitness routines at the end of every season by Livingston(sp?).

I don't need to hear it from Gainey I've heard it from Ribeiro's own mouth last season when Saku and Kovy were injured he stated in an interview that he didn't put in the effort to pick up the slack. So call it laziness, lack of heart whatever but on more than one occasion Ribeiro has had the opportunity to step up when it's mattered and failed miserably.
aww shucks, you are correct. Just thought you were implying that Ribs wasn't working out hard enough. My mistake.
As for what he said...anyone humble enough (my god, am i thinking that Ribs was humble? Err...I don't want to go there...) would probably say the same thing...course the question then becomes, is Ribs humble...it would be rather a long time if ever before people would call him that...
As for him not stepping up, agreed. He has had numerous chances and squandered a lot of them (except 03 regular season). Unfortunately so has a lot of the other players... which means, the Habs does seem to have a lot of room for improvement