HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Paajarvi - where do you see him in 5 years?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
OiledUp

vCash: 500
The thing with depth players is that they don't just blow into the NHL at 20, since they are lesser talents than the Halls and the Seguins of the world they are always going to take longer to develop. Some ppl are jumping the gun way to quickly, if they haven't started to establish themselves in the big leagues at 24-25, then we can start to worry.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:57 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
The thing with depth players is that they don't just blow into the NHL at 20, since they are lesser talents than the Halls and the Seguins of the world they are always going to take longer to develop. Some ppl are jumping the gun way to quickly, if they haven't started to establish themselves in the big leagues at 24-25, then we can start to worry.
Issue with Paajarvi is that he consistently does the same crap, year in year out, NHL or AHL.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
What it says in the title. Where do you see him in 5 years? Edmonton? What role?

Also, if you could rate him the same way players are rated in NHL, which current rating would you give him and what potential would he have?

I've only seen like 10-12 games with him since he went to North America, but from what I've seen he works hard but seems to lack the confidence to actuallt use the tools he does have. A bit timid and afraid to make mistakes?

I'd say his current rating is around 72 and potential 3,5 stars.

Would you somewhat agree with this?
In Florida. Grinding 3-4th liner and PKer. Sorry.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 12-11-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Issue with Paajarvi is that he consistently does the same crap, year in year out, NHL or AHL.
I think people who say this have not seen MP this year in the AHL. And if they have been watching obviously not close enough.

He has most definatly improved upon his fly up the wing and loft a weak shot right in the numbers of the goaltender move.

Not a huge improvement, he still deos that every now and then, but his shot seems considerably better and his offensive drives and positioning compared to last year. He has become more gritty as well.

People forget how soft Smid was for the first few years he played in North America. It takes time to develope a back bone.

I wouldnt count him out of being a top 9 forward for the Oil for a good chunk of his career.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
3 or 4 eh? Very impressive . Don't make me show the Sam Gagner 8 point night clip.

I'm not going to watch a crappy stream for 3 hours on my laptop just to feed my Oilers craze, kudos to those that are doing it and good on ya but I can do without it. Maybe I'm taking my anger about the lockout out on the AHL or something I don't know but this work stoppage has left a bad taste in my mouth about pro hockey. If you consider yourself more of a fan than me because you're watching OKC hockey, go ahead. I'm not looking to validate my fandom or something lol.
Ya thats exactly what I said.

I heard Gagner is constantly shying away from contact and even has gone as far as refusing to take shifts because he is scared to get hurt in Europe. I havent watched a single one of his games but who cares.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:41 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I heard Gagner is constantly shying away from contact and even has gone as far as refusing to take shifts because he is scared to get hurt in Europe. I havent watched a single one of his games but who cares.
Not trying to start trouble at all ... just looking for some clarification if this is sarcasm or if you really heard that.

I think we can't watch Austrian league games. I tried but failed to find any games. We can see highlights though and I posted the link in another thread.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Not trying to start trouble at all ... just looking for some clarification if this is sarcasm or if you really heard that.

I think we can't watch Austrian league games. I tried but failed to find any games. We can see highlights though and I posted the link in another thread.
I'd say that chances are 99.99%+ that nabob's post was missing one of these

Old
12-12-2012, 09:11 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I think people who say this have not seen MP this year in the AHL. And if they have been watching obviously not close enough.

He has most definatly improved upon his fly up the wing and loft a weak shot right in the numbers of the goaltender move.

Not a huge improvement, he still deos that every now and then, but his shot seems considerably better and his offensive drives and positioning compared to last year. He has become more gritty as well.

People forget how soft Smid was for the first few years he played in North America. It takes time to develope a back bone.

I wouldnt count him out of being a top 9 forward for the Oil for a good chunk of his career.
Just because he will take a hit from time to time doesn't mean he's improved or "gritty". Still seeing him run down along the boards and instead of just flipping one from the blue line, its now at top of face off circle. And when he heads to the net, he pulls a Hemsky most often then not, skate behind the net and loop around the other end.

His IQ just aint there.

And yes I do watch the streams so I have been watching. People say Pitlick and the others are disappointing but this guy was a top 10 pick. Say what you want about draft pedigree and such but he needs to bring more to the table to not be labelled a bust.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Kadri
Glennie
Cowen
PRV
Ellis
De Haan
Kassian

Think we are still okay.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Kadri
Glennie
Cowen
PRV
Ellis
De Haan
Kassian

Think we are still okay.
So let's assume they are all busts (obviously too early to call them all that... but let's assume that for the moment).... it still doesn't mean we should take comfort that MPS is one of many other busts. He had a lot of potential and promise... it would certainly be disappointing if he never comes close to living up to that potential. He certainly isn't the 1st and won't be the last either though.

I'm hoping out of MPS/Pitlick/Hamilton/Martindale/Lander/Omark at least one can be a decent NHL player (or at least return an asset that may be an NHL player).

Old
12-13-2012, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
So let's assume they are all busts (obviously too early to call them all that... but let's assume that for the moment).... it still doesn't mean we should take comfort that MPS is one of many other busts. He had a lot of potential and promise... it would certainly be disappointing if he never comes close to living up to that potential. He certainly isn't the 1st and won't be the last either though.

I'm hoping out of MPS/Pitlick/Hamilton/Martindale/Lander/Omark at least one can be a decent NHL player (or at least return an asset that may be an NHL player).
Maybe we should assume they are developing players? Or should we just consider everyone that isn't in the NHL a bust until proven otherwise?

Old
12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
OilFury

if you want to watch some austrian games atdhenet.tv has pretty much every hockeygame you could want of most leagues.

MPS still needs work but has improved a lot the last few weeks that nordic line has been very dominating just not enough finish, but that will improve and if this lockout ends i would like to see harti stay in the ahl so that line can log first line minutes and keep up their chemistry would be the best for all of their development imo all 3 will be 3rd liners with harti and mps having 2nd line potential still

MPS has been changing a lot of the bad parts of his game the second half of this season so far..still see bits of it here and there but overall has been dropping those things

Old
12-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Njoy Oilers

MP is still a prospect in a system that has had trouble developiing there young talent for years. I have always been pro mgmnt, until last year. Regardless that we got Yak or not, Oiler brass did absolutly zero to improve this club. Coaching, bad trades, bad signings, just have to stop.
MP is just a casualty of this system, along with other prospects.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
MP is still a prospect in a system that has had trouble developiing there young talent for years. I have always been pro mgmnt, until last year. Regardless that we got Yak or not, Oiler brass did absolutly zero to improve this club. Coaching, bad trades, bad signings, just have to stop.
MP is just a casualty of this system, along with other prospects.
Bad signings, poor coaching, and bad trades are attempts at getting better. I'm not sure how far you can go with blaming Tambellini for guys like Eager and Belanger not fitting in.

On the flip side, I can't see why you're calling MPS a casualty of a system that used to be non-existent (the Oilers didn't even have a farm team), to now being a top AHL team (and I'm going by last year's results). Sometimes players take time to mature and grow into a role, not everybody is an all-star right out the gate.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
OilFury

stu has made really great picks for us, and tamb has actually done a pretty good job..were stuck with the ugly horcoff contract and imo tamb has made some pretty good trades especially under the circumstances of HAVING to trade some of those players.without stu the trades probably wouldnt be as good but when you give a guy like stu more picks he will make you proud...

http://www.stevesoilerssite.com/trade_history.html

gilbert for n.schultz i really like..

bust cogs for 2nd round pick in a deep 2013 draft...good trade

penner for klefbom and zharkov.and well teubert... really great trade for the oil future..

bust riley nash for 2nd round pick (marincin) great trade...

6th round pick for colin fraser who with a 7thround pick got us smyth back...great trade

visnovsky for whitney and davidson decent trade i loved visnovsky ofc but i dont think he wanted to be in edmonton whitney was really good for us pre injury lets hope he can return to that

grebeshkov for 2nd round pick...amazing return IMO

brodziak for a 4th and 5th round wasnt good but stu might of made it into a good trade with his magic..again doing a trade for the future with confidence in your top scout

didnt like the erik cole trade at all

didnt like garon being traded but the return was good for the time

and he picked up ryan jones..that has worked out amazing..

just saying dont be so hard on the guy he has done some great things for the oil

Old
12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Bad signings, poor coaching, and bad trades are attempts at getting better. I'm not sure how far you can go with blaming Tambellini for guys like Eager and Belanger not fitting in.

On the flip side, I can't see why you're calling MPS a casualty of a system that used to be non-existent (the Oilers didn't even have a farm team), to now being a top AHL team (and I'm going by last year's results). Sometimes players take time to mature and grow into a role, not everybody is an all-star right out the gate.
Excuse me, what role does the GM play in an organization? Perhaps it's to find talent that meshes well with the organizational needs?

We have a .500 AHL team ... not a top AHL team.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Im wondering if Hartikainen has officially passed Paajarvi on the depth chart..hes got more points, plays a meaner game...and seems to fit in with the other youngsters on the powerplay..
Or are they just to different to be compared?

Old
12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Im wondering if Hartikainen has officially passed Paajarvi on the depth chart..hes got more points, plays a meaner game...and seems to fit in with the other youngsters on the powerplay..
Or are they just to different to be compared?
I'd most definitely say that he has passed Paajarvi at this point. Last year they were much closer, but this season Harski has taken that next step while Paajarvi has only shown glimpses of doing so.

12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Excuse me, what role does the GM play in an organization? Perhaps it's to find talent that meshes well with the organizational needs?

We have a .500 AHL team ... not a top AHL team.
Eager and Belanger were both great fits for this team. unfortunately only RNH, Eberle and Hall were able to thrive under Renney's "system".

Old
12-13-2012, 11:45 PM
tiger_80

Paajarvi scored 15 goals 35 points IN THE NHL as a 19 year old. I don't care how lucky he was but players without offensive talent and hockey sense do not just put this kind of numbers. What Paajarvi needs is a pair of quality veteran line-mates and a good coach. Until those two factors are in place, I would be reluctant to give up on him.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Eager and Belanger were both great fits for this team. unfortunately only RNH, Eberle and Hall were able to thrive under Renney's "system".
Honestly Belanger brought what we needed, and that was help on the faceoff dot. It's not like the guy was completely useless last year.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly Belanger brought what we needed, and that was help on the faceoff dot. It's not like the guy was completely useless last year.
The only area Belanger was a disapointment was on the scoresheet, and even that was more bad luck than anything (3.4 SH% is not likely to repeat itself). He's still a great fit for this team and good value at his current rate even if he remains the #4C. He's worth it just for his ability on the PK alone.

12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
simperi
Let`s go Oilers!

MPS is still very young, he may develop hugely in 2-3 years. Wouldnt give up on him just yet. But a loooong way to go for him still. Not too impressive in OKC this year.

Old
12-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Nordic*

Since the last game he's on pace for a 82 goal season!!!

Old
03-18-2013, 10:39 PM
cpsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Sooo anyone?

its a bit early for that. he's been on a solid streak over the last few games. but thats far from telling us what he's going to be doing in 5 years.

Closed Thread