HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
  #226
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,084
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I would say my 15" Retina Pro has made a fantastic desktop replacement so far.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:57 AM
  #227
Schenn
In Rod We Trust
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,829
vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
In the last 3 months I have inadvertently converted 5 people I know either long time IoS or RIM users to Samsung Galaxy's (my Note 2 does some nice convincing).

I've gotten nothing but thanks from all of them...
A year ago last September, (so I guess September 2011) me and 7 of my closest friends weirdly enough all got new phones within 2 weeks of each other. Out of 8 people, I was the only one to get a Samsung (Galaxy S II) and they all got Blackberry Bolds (some touch ones, some the generation before)

As of this past December I am 1 of 2 of all 8 of us who still has their phone from September 2011. They have all either switched to a Galaxy or Iphone since except 1, and his Blackberry is absolute toast at this point. He is getting the S IV when it comes out.

My SII is still going strong.

EDIT: I lied. One of my friends has the new BB Z10, and not an Android or Iphone. But he went through 3 BB Bold's in a year and a half, so my point still stands! lmao

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82088&dateline=135762  5592
Schenn is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
  #228
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Nearly Half of BlackBerry Z10 Buyers Switching From Android & iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
A year ago last September, (so I guess September 2011) me and 7 of my closest friends weirdly enough all got new phones within 2 weeks of each other. Out of 8 people, I was the only one to get a Samsung (Galaxy S II) and they all got Blackberry Bolds (some touch ones, some the generation before)

As of this past December I am 1 of 2 of all 8 of us who still has their phone from September 2011. They have all either switched to a Galaxy or Iphone since except 1, and his Blackberry is absolute toast at this point. He is getting the S IV when it comes out.

My SII is still going strong.

EDIT: I lied. One of my friends has the new BB Z10, and not an Android or Iphone. But he went through 3 BB Bold's in a year and a half, so my point still stands! lmao
That's interesting because almost half of all BlackBerry Z10 purchasers are coming from Android & Apple:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afonteve...e-and-android/

Personally I switched to a BlackBerry Z10 from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 and my Bold 9700 is still in Mint Condition. BlackBerry Hardware is known for it's durability so it's quite odd that your friends had so many problems.

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
  #229
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
That's interesting because almost half of all BlackBerry Z10 purchasers are coming from Android & Apple:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afonteve...e-and-android/

Personally I switched to a BlackBerry Z10 from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 and my Bold 9700 is still in Mint Condition. BlackBerry Hardware is known for it's durability so it's quite odd that your friends had so many problems.
!!!!

Do you work with cell phones? I have for 7 years and in my experience it's been pretty dire on the Blackberry front for issues ever since the 8800s...

Not to say other companies haven't had issues but RIM has been far less than sparkling.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
  #230
DJyellow
Registered User
 
DJyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,576
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
forgive me if this has already been discussed, but anybody ever try the mini android pc? any comments?

Where's the best place to find an offcial one and how can you tell if it'a a fake or not? Seems like there are several shapes and version.

Thanks in advance

DJyellow is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
  #231
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
!!!!

Do you work with cell phones? I have for 7 years and in my experience it's been pretty dire on the Blackberry front for issues ever since the 8800s...

Not to say other companies haven't had issues but RIM has been far less than sparkling.
Yes I do. Most BlackBerry issues that I've encountered have been Software related Not Hardware related.

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
  #232
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
forgive me if this has already been discussed, but anybody ever try the mini android pc? any comments?

Where's the best place to find an offcial one and how can you tell if it'a a fake or not? Seems like there are several shapes and version.

Thanks in advance
A friend of mine bought one instead of a Raspberry Pi. He's been pretty satisfied so far, he's using his as a home server.it's been running for about 14 days now. He's been pretty happy with it. I can ask him additional questions if you'd like.

Sined is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:21 PM
  #233
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Multiple HTC executives confirmed to The Wall Street Journal that the HTC One will not launch on schedule, citing component sourcing issues as the reason for the delay. “HTC has had difficulty in securing adequate camera components as it is no longer a tier-one customer.” HTC’s marketing chief Benjamin Ho added that HTC expects to start filling preorders by the end of March, with a wider launch to follow “as we approach April.”


I guess sourcing is a better problem than quality yields for the consumer, but I really hope HTC succeeds with this phone and regains a tier-one status.

http://bgr.com/2013/03/19/htc-one-re...-delay-385398/

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
  #234
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,651
vCash: 500
long live the N4


there is a new N10 commercial, really well done:



awesomo is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:38 PM
  #235
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
long live the N4


there is a new N10 commercial, really well done:


Saw this commercial yesterday and felt the same way, very well done. My sister recently had a baby and is constantly sending my parents pictures of it. My sister wants to skype her baby to them, but their computer wouldn't be able to handle a webcam. I bet if I showed this commercial to them they'd probably get one.

I really want to get a nexus tablet for myself, though I'd likely end up going with the N7.


In other news, HTC One gets delayed until april because it doesn't have a high priority when it comes to component distributors. Definitely sucks for HTC, it brings the One's release date that much closer to the GS4's. People who would've been willing to get a One before, might just decide to wait a few weeks for the GS4.

Dave is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM
  #236
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Saw this commercial yesterday and felt the same way, very well done. My sister recently had a baby and is constantly sending my parents pictures of it. My sister wants to skype her baby to them, but their computer wouldn't be able to handle a webcam. I bet if I showed this commercial to them they'd probably get one.

I really want to get a nexus tablet for myself, though I'd likely end up going with the N7.


In other news, HTC One gets delayed until april because it doesn't have a high priority when it comes to component distributors. Definitely sucks for HTC, it brings the One's release date that much closer to the GS4's. People who would've been willing to get a One before, might just decide to wait a few weeks for the GS4.
The delay is going to be overblown by the media but honestly flagship wars are won and lost in the trenches, this means at carrier stores where people looks and try out a device. HTC needs a stronger marketing campaign to peek mass market interest in the device and they have to work their grassroots programs hard, go to carrier stores and get the sales reps to pimp the One. Build quality, Stereo speakers BlinkFeed the whole shabang. Hell have incentive programs to encourage sales of the One.

1 month head start on the SGS4 wasn't and isn't going to save the One. HTC is between a rock and a hard place.

Announce anything in the summer release it, in the fall and Apple eats your lunch. Announce something in the winter, release it in spring and Samsung eats your lunch.

Sined is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
  #237
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
I've finally done it. After weeks of wavering, I ordered a N4 last night. I'm going to try out T-Mobile on the $30 pre-paid plan for a month and see if I can use T-Mobile in my neighborhood before I decide to officially cancel the last few months on my Verizon contract (currently use a very compromised VZW GNex).

If TMo doesn't work out, I'm sending the phone to my brother in law who broke his HTC Sensation last week. So works out regardless

Stories is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:32 AM
  #238
4thline4life
The Mased God
 
4thline4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n philly
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
Cracked the screen on my HTC incredible lte. Does anyone know a good site to buy replacement phones or to fix cracked screens. Everything else works on the phone its just an eye sore to look at.

4thline4life is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
  #239
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
got a software update on my DNA the other day. any idea what it was for?

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
  #240
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Cracked the screen on my HTC incredible lte. Does anyone know a good site to buy replacement phones or to fix cracked screens. Everything else works on the phone its just an eye sore to look at.
I've always just tried eBay for new digitizers

Stories is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
  #241
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,292
vCash: 500
HTC One Gets April Ship Date for U.S.


No, the new phone doesn’t yet have a firm release date (anywhere), but merely a release window. Baby steps, folks. The One will hit the United States sometime before the end of April, HTC told Wired in an e-mail.



http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...-u-s-in-april/

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
  #242
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
TP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 7th Circle of Hell
Country: United States
Posts: 22,873
vCash: 500
Anyone get a new update on their Galaxy Nexus? What a horrible look for the password screen.

TP is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 10:56 PM
  #243
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
Anyone get a new update on their Galaxy Nexus? What a horrible look for the password screen.
Just got it. It's the same Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update that I got on my Nexus 7 a month ago - almost(*). Yeah - the default lock screen clock widget is ugly. You can replace it with other lock screen widgets - I'm using a different clock one from HD Widgets.

(*) The multiple user account feature is only available on tablets - not phones - reportedly due to Nokia/Symbian patent issues.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 01:55 AM
  #244
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 15,650
vCash: 500
So I just got the 16 gb Nexus 7

Futureshop and BB have the 16 g 20$ off, and the 32 g 30$ off

I will let you know if I return it within 2 weeks

McSorleyStick is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 09:48 PM
  #245
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
!!!!

Do you work with cell phones? I have for 7 years and in my experience it's been pretty dire on the Blackberry front for issues ever since the 8800s...

Not to say other companies haven't had issues but RIM has been far less than sparkling.
Yes but don't tell Neely that...

I guess Android users switching to the Z10 go there to use a plethora of Gingerbread apps

The Russian General is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
  #246
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Note3 rumored to have 5.9'' screen. That'd be pretty sick if the keep the phones current dimensions, or even make the overall dimensions a bit smaller like they did with the gs4.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...-news-5754.php

Dave is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:13 PM
  #247
Lisa Needs Braces
Registered User
 
Lisa Needs Braces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
Any word yet on when the SIV is going to be released in Canada? My contract runs out at the beginning of August so I may call in for retention and try and get that phone.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline  
Old
03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
  #248
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Needs Braces View Post
Any word yet on when the SIV is going to be released in Canada? My contract runs out at the beginning of August so I may call in for retention and try and get that phone.
Supposedly it will be available around the end of april.

Dave is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 12:03 AM
  #249
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,292
vCash: 500
Delete ha ha.

From yesterdays GDT Error


Last edited by Led Zappa: 03-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
  #250
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
HTC Updates compression software to HTC One's camera.
Produces better pictures.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revie...-camera-tested

I'm eager to see the results from people who do reviews AFTER release of the phone.

Sined is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.