HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Official Android Thread Part IX: Glorious Stock Android User Master Race

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I would say my 15" Retina Pro has made a fantastic desktop replacement so far.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
In the last 3 months I have inadvertently converted 5 people I know either long time IoS or RIM users to Samsung Galaxy's (my Note 2 does some nice convincing).

I've gotten nothing but thanks from all of them...
A year ago last September, (so I guess September 2011) me and 7 of my closest friends weirdly enough all got new phones within 2 weeks of each other. Out of 8 people, I was the only one to get a Samsung (Galaxy S II) and they all got Blackberry Bolds (some touch ones, some the generation before)

As of this past December I am 1 of 2 of all 8 of us who still has their phone from September 2011. They have all either switched to a Galaxy or Iphone since except 1, and his Blackberry is absolute toast at this point. He is getting the S IV when it comes out.

My SII is still going strong.

EDIT: I lied. One of my friends has the new BB Z10, and not an Android or Iphone. But he went through 3 BB Bold's in a year and a half, so my point still stands! lmao

03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Nearly Half of BlackBerry Z10 Buyers Switching From Android & iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
A year ago last September, (so I guess September 2011) me and 7 of my closest friends weirdly enough all got new phones within 2 weeks of each other. Out of 8 people, I was the only one to get a Samsung (Galaxy S II) and they all got Blackberry Bolds (some touch ones, some the generation before)

As of this past December I am 1 of 2 of all 8 of us who still has their phone from September 2011. They have all either switched to a Galaxy or Iphone since except 1, and his Blackberry is absolute toast at this point. He is getting the S IV when it comes out.

My SII is still going strong.

EDIT: I lied. One of my friends has the new BB Z10, and not an Android or Iphone. But he went through 3 BB Bold's in a year and a half, so my point still stands! lmao
That's interesting because almost half of all BlackBerry Z10 purchasers are coming from Android & Apple:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afonteve...e-and-android/

Personally I switched to a BlackBerry Z10 from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 and my Bold 9700 is still in Mint Condition. BlackBerry Hardware is known for it's durability so it's quite odd that your friends had so many problems.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
That's interesting because almost half of all BlackBerry Z10 purchasers are coming from Android & Apple:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afonteve...e-and-android/

Personally I switched to a BlackBerry Z10 from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 and my Bold 9700 is still in Mint Condition. BlackBerry Hardware is known for it's durability so it's quite odd that your friends had so many problems.
!!!!

Do you work with cell phones? I have for 7 years and in my experience it's been pretty dire on the Blackberry front for issues ever since the 8800s...

Not to say other companies haven't had issues but RIM has been far less than sparkling.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
forgive me if this has already been discussed, but anybody ever try the mini android pc? any comments?

Where's the best place to find an offcial one and how can you tell if it'a a fake or not? Seems like there are several shapes and version.

Thanks in advance

Old
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
!!!!

Do you work with cell phones? I have for 7 years and in my experience it's been pretty dire on the Blackberry front for issues ever since the 8800s...

Not to say other companies haven't had issues but RIM has been far less than sparkling.
Yes I do. Most BlackBerry issues that I've encountered have been Software related Not Hardware related.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJyellow View Post
forgive me if this has already been discussed, but anybody ever try the mini android pc? any comments?

Where's the best place to find an offcial one and how can you tell if it'a a fake or not? Seems like there are several shapes and version.

Thanks in advance
A friend of mine bought one instead of a Raspberry Pi. He's been pretty satisfied so far, he's using his as a home server.it's been running for about 14 days now. He's been pretty happy with it. I can ask him additional questions if you'd like.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Multiple HTC executives confirmed to The Wall Street Journal that the HTC One will not launch on schedule, citing component sourcing issues as the reason for the delay. “HTC has had difficulty in securing adequate camera components as it is no longer a tier-one customer.” HTC’s marketing chief Benjamin Ho added that HTC expects to start filling preorders by the end of March, with a wider launch to follow “as we approach April.”

I guess sourcing is a better problem than quality yields for the consumer, but I really hope HTC succeeds with this phone and regains a tier-one status.

http://bgr.com/2013/03/19/htc-one-re...-delay-385398/

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
awesomo
HARD!

long live the N4

there is a new N10 commercial, really well done:

Old
03-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
long live the N4

there is a new N10 commercial, really well done:

Saw this commercial yesterday and felt the same way, very well done. My sister recently had a baby and is constantly sending my parents pictures of it. My sister wants to skype her baby to them, but their computer wouldn't be able to handle a webcam. I bet if I showed this commercial to them they'd probably get one.

I really want to get a nexus tablet for myself, though I'd likely end up going with the N7.

In other news, HTC One gets delayed until april because it doesn't have a high priority when it comes to component distributors. Definitely sucks for HTC, it brings the One's release date that much closer to the GS4's. People who would've been willing to get a One before, might just decide to wait a few weeks for the GS4.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Saw this commercial yesterday and felt the same way, very well done. My sister recently had a baby and is constantly sending my parents pictures of it. My sister wants to skype her baby to them, but their computer wouldn't be able to handle a webcam. I bet if I showed this commercial to them they'd probably get one.

I really want to get a nexus tablet for myself, though I'd likely end up going with the N7.

In other news, HTC One gets delayed until april because it doesn't have a high priority when it comes to component distributors. Definitely sucks for HTC, it brings the One's release date that much closer to the GS4's. People who would've been willing to get a One before, might just decide to wait a few weeks for the GS4.
The delay is going to be overblown by the media but honestly flagship wars are won and lost in the trenches, this means at carrier stores where people looks and try out a device. HTC needs a stronger marketing campaign to peek mass market interest in the device and they have to work their grassroots programs hard, go to carrier stores and get the sales reps to pimp the One. Build quality, Stereo speakers BlinkFeed the whole shabang. Hell have incentive programs to encourage sales of the One.

1 month head start on the SGS4 wasn't and isn't going to save the One. HTC is between a rock and a hard place.

Announce anything in the summer release it, in the fall and Apple eats your lunch. Announce something in the winter, release it in spring and Samsung eats your lunch.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I've finally done it. After weeks of wavering, I ordered a N4 last night. I'm going to try out T-Mobile on the $30 pre-paid plan for a month and see if I can use T-Mobile in my neighborhood before I decide to officially cancel the last few months on my Verizon contract (currently use a very compromised VZW GNex).

If TMo doesn't work out, I'm sending the phone to my brother in law who broke his HTC Sensation last week. So works out regardless

Old
03-21-2013, 09:32 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Cracked the screen on my HTC incredible lte. Does anyone know a good site to buy replacement phones or to fix cracked screens. Everything else works on the phone its just an eye sore to look at.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:12 PM
flyersguy33*

got a software update on my DNA the other day. any idea what it was for?

Old
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Cracked the screen on my HTC incredible lte. Does anyone know a good site to buy replacement phones or to fix cracked screens. Everything else works on the phone its just an eye sore to look at.
I've always just tried eBay for new digitizers

Old
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

HTC One Gets April Ship Date for U.S.

No, the new phone doesn’t yet have a firm release date (anywhere), but merely a release window. Baby steps, folks. The One will hit the United States sometime before the end of April, HTC told Wired in an e-mail.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...-u-s-in-april/

Old
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Anyone get a new update on their Galaxy Nexus? What a horrible look for the password screen.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:56 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
Anyone get a new update on their Galaxy Nexus? What a horrible look for the password screen.
Just got it. It's the same Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update that I got on my Nexus 7 a month ago - almost(*). Yeah - the default lock screen clock widget is ugly. You can replace it with other lock screen widgets - I'm using a different clock one from HD Widgets.

(*) The multiple user account feature is only available on tablets - not phones - reportedly due to Nokia/Symbian patent issues.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:55 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

So I just got the 16 gb Nexus 7

Futureshop and BB have the 16 g 20$ off, and the 32 g 30$ off

I will let you know if I return it within 2 weeks

Old
03-24-2013, 09:48 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
!!!!

Yes but don't tell Neely that...

I guess Android users switching to the Z10 go there to use a plethora of Gingerbread apps

Old
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Note3 rumored to have 5.9'' screen. That'd be pretty sick if the keep the phones current dimensions, or even make the overall dimensions a bit smaller like they did with the gs4.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...-news-5754.php

Old
03-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Any word yet on when the SIV is going to be released in Canada? My contract runs out at the beginning of August so I may call in for retention and try and get that phone.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Needs Braces View Post
Any word yet on when the SIV is going to be released in Canada? My contract runs out at the beginning of August so I may call in for retention and try and get that phone.
Supposedly it will be available around the end of april.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Delete ha ha.

From yesterdays GDT Error

Last edited by Led Zappa: 03-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

HTC Updates compression software to HTC One's camera.
Produces better pictures.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revie...-camera-tested

I'm eager to see the results from people who do reviews AFTER release of the phone.

Closed Thread