HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Skm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Our old friend Helene Elliott just tweeted that Perry's contract has a no-move clause. Of course it does. Perry's got to make sure that he's completely locked into waaaaaarm southern Cali for 6 years.

Seriously, these NHL GM's get dumber by the day.
Does he have a choice though? The system is broken and it's not Bob Murray's fault. If he lost one (or worse both) of Getzlaf and Perry there is a legit chance they would lose season tickets in the thousands...GM's have no choice but to think short term at the expense of the franchise's future.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:29 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Oh? How much is Sedin's contract again?
That deal is 4 years old. And was signed before he won any awards.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:32 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Oh? How much is Sedin's contract again?
They signed their extensions in 2009

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...Vancouver.html

Didn't win their hardware until 2010 for Henrik and 2011 for Daniel. Not to mention it was under a different CBA and the cap was smaller.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
#ualberta

Nicely done Mr. Murray nicely done

Old
03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Does he have a choice though? The system is broken and it's not Bob Murray's fault. If he lost one (or worse both) of Getzlaf and Perry there is a legit chance they would lose season tickets in the thousands...GM's have no choice but to think short term at the expense of the franchise's future.
Fair point. Might as well eat the bullet and hope that you can solve the cap issue in the summer. Ducks fans don't care about the fringe players on the team.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Fair point. Might as well eat the bullet and hope that you can solve the cap issue in the summer. Ducks fans don't care about the fringe players on the team.
Yeah, exactly. I agree with the contract being ridiculous though. What are the chances Perry is a 50pt player 6 years from now? Lecavalier is a good example of what can and probably will happen.

Honestly due to health concerns, players just losing their dominance with age, or players being figured out/ losing motivation (OV) I'd be leery to sign any player for longer than 5 years. That being said, chances are the GM that has to deal with a bad contract isn't the one who signed it, and so it goes.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Bergeron47

Gregor with a good call:

“@JasonGregor: Perry could have only signed a 7-year deal as a UFA. He would have been $9.85 mill cap hit to get $69 million. Can't see that happening.”

I just don't see a scenario where he can earn more from now until he retires. Murray could have done better.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
t0nedeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I guess, but $3M for a Hart trophy seems fair, as long as the players are ok with it, shouldn't matter too much.
that season was an anomaly. look at what he did last year and that's more likely what his career is going to be.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:42 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
It would be a rental. I think a team will offer a 1st for him. He's 41, but he's still a good player.
QFT. He wouldn't be counted on to put up PPG numbers, but he still sees the game at an elite level and would be that big guy on a line with RNH and Eberle who can think the game at the same level they do. If he's cheap (2nd+prospect) why wouldn't you want him for a playoff run for this year and maybe next. You aren't morgaging the future to get him.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Gregor with a good call:

“@JasonGregor: Perry could have only signed a 7-year deal as a UFA. He would have been $9.85 mill cap hit to get $69 million. Can't see that happening.”

I just don't see a scenario where he can earn more from now until he retires. Murray could have done better.
Agreed. I don't understand either contract. It's obvious that Getzlaf and Perry didn't want to play anywhere else... so why open up the vault like that?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nedeff View Post
that season was an anomaly. look at what he did last year and that's more likely what his career is going to be.
This. Another good point by Gregor.
Perry's only had 1 season with over 40g and 80pts

Old
03-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Spawn

It's one thing for Getzlaf who with the exception of one off year has consistently been a PPG+ player.

But to pay Perry more... seems crazy. It's more likely he's a 30-35 goal scorer than a 50 goal scorer the rest of his career. Can't see the value for that contract even next year. Let alone in 3-4.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:00 PM
jmoss45

Yeah I hate that contract for the Ducks. Perry is getting paid as a perennial hart/rocket richard finalist, and he's had one such season. They're paid for his potential, not what he's actually bringing.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:04 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Perry joins Nash and Parise amongst the most overrated and overpaid players in the league.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:09 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

As for ANA, that leaves them with 11.5M in cap space with 6 players to sign, here's their roster heading into next season:

______-Getzlaf-Perry
______-Bonino-Ryan
Winnik-_______-Cogliano
Holland-_______-Etem

Beachemin-Souray
Fowler-Allen
Sbisa-_______

Fasth
Hiller

UFA: Selanne, Koivu, Lydman

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Lydman and Koivu as RFA's. Lydman has a history of making offensive defensemen look good (Myers, Visnovsky) - and as a LD would work well with Schultz on a 2nd pairing.

At 35 he's getting up there in age, but should be good for another 2-3 years of solid defensive play.

Koivu becomes an option if a move is made with Gagner, although I figure he'd rather retire than come up to EDM. Him and Lydman are both Finnish, maybe a package deal?

As for Jonas Hiller - if Oilers brass isn't 100% re: Dubnyk in the off-season it may be worth an attempt at acquiring this guy. Might cost us a fair big (Dubnyk+Gagner for Hiller+) - but he may be the only one available (Schneider?) come the off-season.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Perry joins Nash and Parise amongst the most overrated and overpaid players in the league.
Yeah I'd probably agree with this.

There's quite a few crazy contracts like Campbell's, Luongo's and Ovechkin'a though. Bryz.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I complained about the Eberle and Hall contracts earlier, but these two to Getzlaf and Perry make me very thankful we locked them up for 6 mil.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:40 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I complained about the Eberle and Hall contracts earlier, but these two to Getzlaf and Perry make me very thankful we locked them up for 6 mil.
Except these guys are UFA's and established, playoff-proven, Cup-winning, perrenial All-Stars that are a 90+ point threat any given year.

Entering a third contract, these guys are overpaid just as much as our kids are on their 2nd contract.

Keep in mind Getz/Perry took 5.25M on their 2nd contracts, this after Getzlaf had already put up an 82-point season.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Harley

Can you trade for, then amnesty buyout a player? Is that allowed? Lets say you make a deal with Philly and it involves Briere, would Edmonton be allowed to amnesty his contract and walk away in the spring? It would be a huge cheque to write for an owner, but if you had an owner willing to do it you may be able to gain a competitive advantage in a trade.

Lets say Edmonton traded for Briere and Couturier. No way would Philly trade Couturier. But if they could walk away from Brier's contract they may think about it. Send them Smid (they need blue liners), Belanger (a centre to plug in, and I want to get rid of him lol) and Hartikainen? Throw in a second rounder?

lol Ya probably not.

I still wonder about the buyout thing. Especially in the summer when the season is over. Could a rich owner make a deal to trade for a player to buy him out to gain an asset. Sounds pretty unrealistic but just wondering if its possible.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Can you trade for, then amnesty buyout a player? Is that allowed? Lets say you make a deal with Philly and it involves Briere, would Edmonton be allowed to amnesty his contract and walk away in the spring? It would be a huge cheque to write for an owner, but if you had an owner willing to do it you may be able to gain a competitive advantage in a trade.

Lets say Edmonton traded for Briere and Couturier. No way would Philly trade Couturier. But if they could walk away from Brier's contract they may think about it. Send them Smid (they need blue liners), Belanger (a centre to plug in, and I want to get rid of him lol) and Hartikainen? Throw in a second rounder?

lol Ya probably not.

I still wonder about the buyout thing. Especially in the summer when the season is over. Could a rich owner make a deal to trade for a player to buy him out to gain an asset. Sounds pretty unrealistic but just wondering if its possible.
They could, but Philly also has the amnesty buyout so it really isn't a selling point for them to move him away to free up space, they can just buy him out themselves.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

What are people's opinions on going after Alex Semin on a big 7-year contract this off-season? It would instantly change the complexion of this team.

Turn the cap hit into 5.5-6.0M and let him play with RNH. He brings a similar game to Marian Hossa, with great 2-way play and brilliant shooting and passing ability.

People have called him a head-case but he's showing now that given a top-line role and not having to play second fiddle he's capable of being plain dominant on the ice (better than Staal thus far IMO).

Semin-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
MPS-Gagner-Yakupov

Chances are he's going to re-sign in CAR where he's having success, but I'd happily keep that top-6 around for a few years if I could.

Eventually: let Hemsky walk, re-sign Horcoff for <3M and see how it all comes together.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:00 AM
jeetz

Gagner + Yakopov + plus a high pick

For

Bogosian + Kane

Resign Smid

Trade Hemsky, Whitney Peckham for team needs

Big payment and we leave a hole at center but our top 4 wingers are Kane Hall Eberle MPS

Top 6 d... Bogosian Schultz Smid Petry Schultz Fistric

We continue to adress our size and grit problem and go on the Hunt for the right #2 center

Last edited by jeetz: 03-19-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:02 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetz View Post
Gagner + Yakopov + plus a high pick

For

Bogosian + Kane

Resign Smid

Trade Hemsky, Whitney Peckham for team needs

Big payment and we leave a hole at center but our top 4 wingers are Kane Hall Eberle MPS

Top 6 d... Bogosian Shultz Smid Petry Shultz Fistric

We continue to adress our size and grit problem and go on the Hunt for the right #2 center
I'd rather pay a smaller price and try to pry Blake Wheeler off their hands.

Eberle for Wheeler+

Old
03-19-2013, 12:12 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'd rather pay a smaller price and try to pry Blake Wheeler off their hands.

Eberle for Wheeler+

Old
03-19-2013, 12:15 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337

Closed Thread