HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Changing of Styles Since the Cup Run

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 12:07 AM
  #26
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,203
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Here is a reel of every goal we scored in 2010-2011:
Just watch the first minute.

Look at the puck movement.

The smoothness, the crashing of the net, the finish.

Where is that?

__________________

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
  #27
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,376
vCash: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
We had a bad start last year too, but had enough race track (games remaining) to turn it around and win the PT. We're just having another bad start.
I can't believe you actually convinced yourself of this.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:20 AM
  #28
doobie604
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Said it from the day we let hoff go, trading skill or size is wrong strategy. We'll never be bigger and tougher than those teams so why try to fight fire with fire when we almost had enough water to get the job done. We're no longer a team that can roll all lines and just ware teams down, we're now like all other mediocre teams with no identity.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:21 AM
  #29
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
I find it somewhat presumptuous and even a little arrogant to suggest that the Canucks could achieve similar success simply by maintaining their personnel and style. Teams adapt and the league changes. The playoffs showed how to stymie the Canucks offense and that was box them out and let them shoot from the perimeter all night long. There's a reason that uber-skilled 2011 team was the lowest scoring team to make the SCF in NHL history and that's because they couldn't score in a tight playoff scenario.

There's also a bit of revisionist history about the quality of the lineup. Talking like that team was 4 lines of skill when in reality it regularly featured Malhotra, Torres, Tambellini, Glass, Oreskovich, and Bolduc up front is a little dishonest.

Regardless of style, that team was successful primarily because it was strong down the middle, had a deadly PP, it got fantastic goaltending, and they had a defensive pair in Bieksa and Hamhuis who could shut down top lines. The Canucks haven't been strong at C or on the PP since Kesler was injured last January, their goaltending has struggled for most of this year, and Hamhuis and Bieksa have been mostly brutal. Hence their current predicament.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:21 AM
  #30
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
Said it from the day we let hoff go, trading skill or size is wrong strategy. We'll never be bigger and tougher than those teams so why try to fight fire with fire when we almost had enough water to get the job done. We're no longer a team that can roll all lines and just ware teams down, we're now like all other mediocre teams with no identity.
Mediocre skill.

Mediocre size.

Mediocre toughness.

Mediocre to poor special teams.

Damn right.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
  #31
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Here is a reel of every goal we scored in 2010-2011:
Funny thing is, we were tougher then than we are now. The contributions of Manny, Torres and Samuelsson to that is pretty clear from that video.

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:24 AM
  #32
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™
 
CASUAL KEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sk, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Yup. People loved how we let Erhoff go. I told you.

The offense ran through him and he fit our system perfectly. So what if he got a huge front loaded contract if his cap hit is only 4M. Aquilini needs to shell it out if he wants the best team possible. Seeing Bieksa at 4.6 compared to Erhoff makes me sick. Gillis goof'd up.

We traded away any skill we had drafted in Grabner and Hodgson for defense and "toughness". At least we're big tough guys like our heroes da Bostin Bruins. And people wonder why we can't score now.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:28 AM
  #33
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Just watch the first minute.

Look at the puck movement.

The smoothness, the crashing of the net, the finish.

Where is that?
Just watched the first 6 minutes. The bad goaltending, low percentage shots, the friendly rebounds and deflections. Basically every kind of bounce the current team isn't getting.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:30 AM
  #34
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
Yup. People loved how we let Erhoff go. I told you.

The offense ran through him and he fit our system perfectly. So what if he got a huge front loaded contract if his cap hit is only 4M. Aquilini needs to shell it out if he wants the best team possible. Seeing Bieksa at 4.6 compared to Erhoff makes me sick. Gillis goof'd up.

We traded away any skill we had drafted in Grabner and Hodgson for defense and "toughness". At least we're big tough guys like our heroes da Bostin Bruins. And people wonder why we can't score now.
Not sure why people bring up Grabner, he really contributed next to nothing while he was here. His being traded has nothing to do with anything when looking back at past teams.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM
  #35
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1
 
John Swartzwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The playoffs showed how to stymie the Canucks offense and that was box them out and let them shoot from the perimeter all night long.
Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with Henrik, Kesler, Raymond, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa being injured at one point or another, and Rome being suspended. Nah

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:32 AM
  #36
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™
 
CASUAL KEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sk, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Not sure why people bring up Grabner, he really contributed next to nothing while he was here. His being traded has nothing to do with anything when looking back at past teams.
No, it's more of a case of "what could've been". I fell like they gave up him to quickly. He is one of the fastest players in the league. Given how much of a dud Ballard has been it sucks.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
  #37
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,203
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Not sure why people bring up Grabner, he really contributed next to nothing while he was here. His being traded has nothing to do with anything when looking back at past teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
No, it's more of a case of "what could've been". I fell like they gave up him to quickly. He is one of the fastest players in the league. Given how much of a dud Ballard has been it sucks.
Bingo.

Would you like to spin or buy a vowel?

Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
  #38
Shorthander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
No, it's more of a case of "what could've been". I fell like they gave up him to quickly. He is one of the fastest players in the league. Given how much of a dud Ballard has been it sucks.
Hindsight. When that trade was made Ballard was a top 4 d-man whose only blemish was decapitating his own goalie (which Canucks fans wouldn't even mind cause the Luongo hate was flowing hard after another Chicago playoff exit). Grabner was looking like he wasn't going to stick in the NHL. Personally, at the time I was more upset to lose the 1st round pick.

Shorthander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:37 AM
  #39
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
It was a complete mess and a overreaction to the boston series.

We had a high flying puck moving offensive team, Now we are scared, and play this fake bruins style.

Bad trades (hodgson/grabner), bad non signings (ehrhoff).

It's just a complete and utter mess
I second this post.

Mike Gillis lost his mind. Demitra(rip) Samuelsson, Sundin, Erhoff, Sturm were good skill players.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:37 AM
  #40
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with Henrik, Kesler, Raymond, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa being injured at one point or another, and Rome being suspended. Nah
How many of those guys were injured in the first 2 rounds where the scoring was terrible?

And you're seriously saying Rome being suspended is a good reason why they couldn't score?

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:38 AM
  #41
CanucksSayEh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Makes me sick thinking of the lineup we could very easily have if not for shoddy management.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
  #42
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,203
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
I second this post.

Mike Gillis lost his mind. Demitra(rip) Samuelsson, Sundin, Erhoff, Sturm were good skill players.
I think that Sundin's tenure in Vancouver was a lot like Messier's. And that's not a good comparison.

Royal Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:39 AM
  #43
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Why does Grabner's name keep popping off? He was traded before our cup run

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:47 AM
  #44
doobie604
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Why does Grabner's name keep popping off? He was traded before our cup run
Because we could be a team like the black hawks right now who beats teams with speed and skill with all 4 lines, but instead we're just a team with indevidul skills but doesn't gel.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:49 AM
  #45
Jefe88
Registered User
 
Jefe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Port Coquitlam
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Grabner is referred as having "stone hands" by Islander fans. He had one good season playing with Tavares, and he really had nowhere to go here at the time.

Jefe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:51 AM
  #46
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
Because we could be a team like the black hawks right now who beats teams with speed and skill with all 4 lines, but instead we're just a team with indevidul skills but doesn't gel.
But this is about changing the style after the cup run. As far as I'm concerned, we had lots of question marks in our blueline and that's why we traded for Ballard.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
  #47
mossey3535
Registered User
 
mossey3535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
I call BS. We should be able to at least come close to 2010 with the group we have.

Yes, we have gotten bigger, but if you look at our drafts and our acquisitions in general (including Kassian) we've clearly tried to get guys who are big AND can skate. We didn't suddenly become some lumbering team where every guy is Brian Boyle or Hal Gill.

Here's a novel concept - instead of clinging to a system that has been long figured out that also happened to complement Ehrhoff well...why not try tailoring your system to the players you DO have?

Of course, let's ignore the fact our D is virtually untouched since 2010, and they had a decent (if not totally up to potential IMO) last year without Ehrhoff.

Even if you do maintain the system, why not try Ballard in the same role as Ehrhoff as a PMD? He can rush it, and his first pass is good. Except we've never tried that, ever.

The personnel argument just holds no water for me because we have NEVER tried putting our guys in the best position to succeed.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
  #48
leftwinglockdown
Dude Guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
It's funny how people keep bringing up Grabner but the guy has only had 1 real good year on the Isles.

The guy is fast but he also blows the zone early for those breakaways, half the time losing the puck in the neutral zone and other teams just capitalizing on it when they go the other way. The guy has been carried by Nielsen for his whole stint in NYI.

leftwinglockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
  #49
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe88 View Post
Grabner is referred as having "stone hands" by Islander fans. He had one good season playing with Tavares, and he really had nowhere to go here at the time.
He has more goals this season than any Canuck.

  Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:58 AM
  #50
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1
 
John Swartzwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
How many of those guys were injured in the first 2 rounds where the scoring was terrible?

And you're seriously saying Rome being suspended is a good reason why they couldn't score?
Henrik, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Ehrhoff. Who do you think is better offensively, Alberts or Rome?

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.