HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-13 Manitoba Bisons/CIS Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
March 1: Monkeys 5 Mutts 0

NOBODY CAN SCORE ON A MONKEY ANY MORE

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 0
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

(Alberta leads series 1-0.)

Links:
|> [LS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]
|> [U of A Linescore and Story] : [reposted at U of S Site] : [and at CW Site]

What can you say about 5 straight shut-outs? Mu-u-ucha is on a hot streak. Combine that with a 45-12 edge in shots on goal and the Monkeys look like they are about to wrap up a CW title. I know that Mu-u-ucha was the difference in goal when the Monkeys stole a shoot-out win over the Bisons.

OUT EAST:

Links:
|> [OUA LeagueStat Daily]
|> [AUS Playoff Schedule/Results Page]

UQTR PATRIOTES 2
CARLETON RAVENS 0

(Series tied 1-1.)

Links:
|> [Toronto Sun: story on video on Nipper assaulting official]

This one was dead even statistically leaving one with the impression that it could go either way. The deciding game will be Sunday at 1:00 CT (2:00 local). Hopefully, nobody will see fit to attack the officials in game three. Check out the TO Sun link.

UP NEXT:

Saturday, March 2
Saskatchewan at Alberta <[CanadaWest.tv]>
Windsor at Waterloo <[no on-line video]>
Saint Mary's at New Brunswick <[AUStv.ca]>

NEWS:

The Bisons claimed two major individual awards this past week. Blair Macaulay was named CW MVP for the second year running and James Henry was named CW rookie of the year.

Also, Macaulay and defenceman Dane Crowley were first team all-stars whilst Jeremy Schappert and Tyler Dittmer were second team all-stars.

The complete selections were:
Code:
First Team                    Second Team
G: Kurtis Mucha, Alberta      Jordan White, UBC
D: Jesse Craige, Alberta      Thomas Carr, Alberta
D: Dane Crowley, Manitoba     Jeremy Schappert, Manitoba
F: Kyle Bortis, Saskatchewan  Tyler Dittmer, Manitoba
F: Jordan Hickmott, Alberta   Johnny Lazo, Alberta
F: Blair Macaulay, Manitoba   Brock Nixon, Calgary
They also have another Top Ten, which really makes no sense. Why would Manitoba and Acadia fall out of the rankings for losing to Husky teams? Why would the Squirrels drop behind the Monkeys? (I already had Alberta ahead of UNB. My point is, why the switch?)

Links:
|> MVP: [GoBisons.ca] : [Winnipeg Free Press]
|> All-stars: [GoBisons.ca]
|> CW awards: [CW Story] : [reposted at: CIS Site]
|> CIS Top Ten: [CIS Story] : [reposted at: CIS Site]

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

March 2: Mutts 5 Monkeys 4

MUTTS AND MONKEYS WORKING OVERTIME

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

(in overtime)
(Series tied 1-1.)

Links:
|> [U of A Linescore] : [reposted at U of S Site] : [and at CW Site]

Mu-u-ucha's shutout string came to an end and Ryan Holfield showed that he could still save his team's mangy hide on occasion. The Monkeys outshot the Mutts 43-29 but could not put them away. Alberta had a 4-2 lead late in the 2nd period. But Sask was able to mount a comeback with late goals in each of the 2nd and 3rd periods, despite being outshot 15-5 in the 3rd. Brennan Bosch notched a hattrick for Sask, including the OT winner.

Game 3 goes Sunday at 7:00 CT (6:00 MT) and is scheduled for CanadaWest.tv.

OUT EAST:

WINDSOR LANCERS 3
WATERLOO WARRIORS 5

(Waterloo wins series 2-0.)

Links:
|> [OUA Game Story]

Since both finalists in the CW and AUS playoffs had berths at the U-Cup sewn up, this series determined the 5th qualifier. And that will be the unheralded Waterloo Warriors. Though a solid 4th, they really weren't a threat to the OUA-W top 3 (Urban Cowboys, Thundermutts, and Windsor). But here they are, a B level team going to the nationals. This is overdue.

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 1

(in overtime)
(UNB leads series 1-0.)

Links:
|> [Hockey Scene Story]

Only 1 out of 65 shots found the twine in what must have been a tense encounter. Game 2 goes Tuesday at SMU. I am wondering about motivation for these teams with U-Cup berths already assured. Basically, at the U-Cup the winner of this series will be paired with the loser of the CW final, and vice versa.

UP NEXT:

Sunday, March 3
Saskatchewan at Alberta <CanadaWest.tv>
Carleton at UQTR <no on-line video>

Old
03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
MUTTS AND MONKEYS WORKING OVERTIME

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

(in overtime)
(Series tied 1-1.)

Links:
|> [U of A Linescore] : [reposted at U of S Site] : [and at CW Site]

Mu-u-ucha's shutout string came to an end and Ryan Holfield showed that he could still save his team's mangy hide on occasion. The Monkeys outshot the Mutts 43-29 but could not put them away. Alberta had a 4-2 lead late in the 2nd period. But Sask was able to mount a comeback with late goals in each of the 2nd and 3rd periods, despite being outshot 15-5 in the 3rd. Brennan Bosch notched a hattrick for Sask, including the OT winner.

Game 3 goes Sunday at 7:00 CT (6:00 MT) and is scheduled for CanadaWest.tv.

OUT EAST:

WINDSOR LANCERS 3
WATERLOO WARRIORS 5

(Waterloo wins series 2-0.)

Links:
|> [OUA Game Story]

Since both finalists in the CW and AUS playoffs had berths at the U-Cup sewn up, this series determined the 5th qualifier. And that will be the unheralded Waterloo Warriors. Though a solid 4th, they really weren't a threat to the OUA-W top 3 (Urban Cowboys, Thundermutts, and Windsor). But here they are, a B level team going to the nationals. This is overdue.

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0
NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 1

(in overtime)
(UNB leads series 1-0.)

Links:
|> [Hockey Scene Story]

Only 1 out of 65 shots found the twine in what must have been a tense encounter. Game 2 goes Tuesday at SMU. I am wondering about motivation for these teams with U-Cup berths already assured. Basically, at the U-Cup the winner of this series will be paired with the loser of the CW final, and vice versa.

UP NEXT:

Sunday, March 3
Saskatchewan at Alberta <CanadaWest.tv>
Carleton at UQTR <no on-line video>

I was wondering about their motivation as well. However, SMU and UNB definitely proved that they weren't just happy to be going to the Nationals. It was very intense playoff hockey. I didn't see Alberta vs Saskathewan but it was nice to see that the Huskies became motivated enough to make the big comeback.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

March 3: Monkeys 5 Mutts 2

MONKEYS TAKE THE TITLE

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5

(Alberta wins series 2-1.)

Links:
|> [U of A Linescore and Story] : [to be reposted at U of S Site] : [and at CW Site]

The Monkeys jumped on the Mutts early, taking a 3-0 lead in the 1st period, and then coasted to victory. Both Sask goals came late in the 3rd period on power plays.

So the Monkeys will play in the U-Cup's "afternoon pool" against the runners-up from the AUS and OUA whilst the Mutts will be in the "evening pool" with the AUS and OUA winners.

OUT EAST:

CARLETON RAVENS 1
UQTR PATRIOTES 2

(in overtime)
(UQTR wins series 2-1.)

Links:

This game started in the afternoon and ended in the evening. It was dubbed as "4OT" but I believe that out east they play a "mini period" first and then go to normal periods. In any event, this was a marathon.

Therefore, Quebec preserves dominance of the OUA East for yet another season.

UQTR will now face Waterloo on March 9th in a one-game showdown for the OUA title. Both sides will be going to the nationals. The winner will face the AUS winner and Sask, the loser will face the AUS runner-up and Alberta.

UP NEXT:

Tuesday, March 5
New Brunswick at Saint Mary's

Thursday, March 7
Saint Mary's at New Brunswick (if necessary)

Saturday, March 9
UQTR at Waterloo

Thursday, March 14
University Cup begins

Old
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
mikeandI

SEEDING FOR THE UCUP

i am a little confused based on the top ten rankings switch last week.
Alberta Sweeps Calgary and UNB loses one to PEI yet win the playoff round or AUS semis...and the CIS Top 10 switches the 1 and 2 spots.
ie Alberta moves to #1 and UNB drops to #2
so can one assume that if UNB seeps St Marys and Alberta got taken to three versus SAsk that the geniuses on this board or committee will switch the top tens again?
this has a significant in pact on the pools for each team don't ya think. At least based on what I have been reading on the CIS discussion blog. #2 gets one other division champ and #1 gets the fair play participants!?
anyone know or willing to make a prediction. I just think it is weird how that went last week and nobody *****ed? am i missing something here freddy? your a top ten guy help my confusion please!

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
AUS Fan

I can only assume that the voters did not like UNB getting beat at home, however close the score was. Now that UofA is #1, I would guess that it won't change no matter who wins the AUS.

Edit: I realize that I'm the wrong "Freddy", but at least my real name is Fred, unlike that other imposter......

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
SP Saskatuned

Forget about the rankings... Should St. Mary's knock off UNB, Alberta would have do be seeded No. 1, St. Mary's No. 2 and OUA champ at No. 3, correct? ... If UNB wins with a sweep, they could theoretically overtake UofA as top seed since Alberta lost one game to Sask..

SP Saskatuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
AUS Fan

You cant "forget" about the rankings. It's the rankings that decide the seedings at the Nationals. i.e. The 3 Conference Champions are seeded 1,2,3 based on the final rankings.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
SP Saskatuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
You cant "forget" about the rankings. It's the rankings that decide the seedings at the Nationals. i.e. The 3 Conference Champions are seeded 1,2,3 based on the final rankings.
But you can't, or won't, have Alberta and Sask. in the same pool, nor will you see UNB and St. Mary's in the same pool, so, in the end, the rankings will be somewhat manipulated no matter what.

I mean, UNB and St. Mary's could be both ranked in the top 3 but not seeded that way. That is what I was trying to get at.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Right...if SMU takes the AUS I can't see them leapfrogging past Alberta...but if UNB wins the AUS in two straight there is a decent chance they move back to #1. And the OUA champ will almost certainly be #3.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
AUS Fan

"I mean, UNB and St. Mary's could be both ranked in the top 3 but not seeded that way. That is what I was trying to get at."

SMU will not move past UQTR in tomorrows ranking because they have done nothing to improve their status since last week's win over Acadia whereas UQTR has won a series. UNB has won a conference semi while UofA has won a conference championship. I fully expect the ranking to be UofA, UNB, UQTR, SMU with a coin toss between WLU and UofS for the other 2 spots. WLU will jump over Carleton and perhaps over UofS as well.

If you're talking about next weeks ranking, if SMU were to win the AUS they would certainly take the #2 spot behind UofA. But I think UNB would drop to 4 behind the OUA champion. I just don`t see any scenario where UNB and SMU are both in the top 3 after the dust settles.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:10 PM
FreddtFoyle

... and even if UNB and SMU were ranked in the top 3, for Nationals the three conference champs HAVE to be seeded 1,2,3 based on rankings.

So even if the final rankings next Saturday were 1. Alberta 2. SMU 3. UNB 4. UQTR 5. Sask 6. Waterloo, etc. and Alberta, SMU and UQTR ended up conference champs, than the University Cup seedings would be: 1. Alberta 2. SMU 3. UQTR 4. UNB 5. Sask 6. Waterloo.

#1 seed Alberta is in one pool. #2 seeds SMU and #3 UQTR would be in other pool. #5 Sask would be in with SMU and UQTR to separate CanWest teams. #4 seed UNB and #6 seed Waterloo would be in with Alberta (although at this point it doesn't matter what the bottom three are seeded, as you have to split the conference reps between the pools).

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
SP Saskatuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
"I mean, UNB and St. Mary's could be both ranked in the top 3 but not seeded that way. That is what I was trying to get at."

SMU will not move past UQTR in tomorrows ranking because they have done nothing to improve their status since last week's win over Acadia whereas UQTR has won a series. UNB has won a conference semi while UofA has won a conference championship. I fully expect the ranking to be UofA, UNB, UQTR, SMU with a coin toss between WLU and UofS for the other 2 spots. WLU will jump over Carleton and perhaps over UofS as well.

If you're talking about next weeks ranking, if SMU were to win the AUS they would certainly take the #2 spot behind UofA. But I think UNB would drop to 4 behind the OUA champion. I just don`t see any scenario where UNB and SMU are both in the top 3 after the dust settles.
Should Waterloo win the OUA, I can't see them leap-frogging into the No. 3 spot in the CIS top-10 rankings even though they would still be awarded the No. 3 seed at the University Cup.
So, you could still have UNB and St. Mary's among the top-4 ranked teams but not seeded that way at the University Cup because, as we know, you won't have both AUS teams in the same pools.
Should St. Mary's beat UNB in the AUS final, and Waterloo defeats UQTR in the OUA final, again you could, theoretically, have UNB and St. Mary's ranked among the top-three in CIS but not seeded as such.
Yes, it could happen.
So, yes, the rankings only decide so much.
And, yes, that was the point I apparently failed to make.
That's all I've got to say.
Au revoir.
Good luck to all in the University Cup and enjoy your time in Wintery Saskatoon. Bring your snowshoes and parkas. Leave the golf clubs at home. Maybe the weather will be nicer in 2014.

Last edited by SP Saskatuned: 03-06-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
... and even if UNB and SMU were ranked in the top 3, for Nationals the three conference champs HAVE to be seeded 1,2,3 based on rankings.

So even if the final rankings next Saturday were 1. Alberta 2. SMU 3. UNB 4. UQTR 5. Sask 6. Waterloo, etc. and Alberta, SMU and UQTR ended up conference champs, than the University Cup seedings would be: 1. Alberta 2. SMU 3. UQTR 4. UNB 5. Sask 6. Waterloo.

#1 seed Alberta is in one pool. #2 seeds SMU and #3 UQTR would be in other pool. #5 Sask would be in with SMU and UQTR to separate CanWest teams. #4 seed UNB and #6 seed Waterloo would be in with Alberta (although at this point it doesn't matter what the bottom three are seeded, as you have to split the conference reps between the pools).
dont forget Waterloo boys.

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Squirrels take AUS

OUT EAST:

Since the CW title was awarded last weekend, all that was around, in the week that was, was the end of the AUS.

March 5, 2013

NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 2
SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 5

(Series tied 1-1.)

Links:
|> [AUS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]
|> [AUS Game Story]

Saint Mary's Little Lambs managed 4 goals and 19 shots and then salted it away with an empty-netter.

March 7, 2013

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0

(UNB wins series 2-1.)

Links:
|> [AUS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]
|> [AUS Game Story]

The win for the Squirrels seemed inevitable, so there you have it. Since both teams go to the nationals, UNB will face hosts Sask and SMU will face the CW champion Monkeys.

UP NEXT:

Saturday, March 9
UQTR at Waterloo - OUA Queen's Cup final

Old
03-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Queen's Cup Awarded

OUT EAST:

UQTR PATRIOTES 4
WATERLOO WARRIORS 1

(UQTR wins sudden-death final)

Links:
|> [Waterloo Game Story]

The OUA has a one game sudden death final between the two conference winners, since both teams already have berths assured in the University Cup. The win puts UQTR in a pool with UNB and Saskatchewan. Waterloo will face Alberta and Saint Mary's.

One has to give credit to Waterloo in qualifying for this game, and the U-Cup. Even though all conferences grant loads of playoff spots, it is rare that a team scraps their way through the way Waterloo has. To quote their game story:
Quote:
Members of the Warriors 1974 CIAU championship team and the 1996 Queen's Cup championship team took part in the ceremonial faceoff before the game…Waterloo's last Queen's Cup appearance in 1996 was also against UQTR, in which they defeated Les Patriotes 5-1…this will be UQTR's second straight appearance at the University Cup.

Jesse Deckert and Tyler Dittmer have been signed to play for the Florida Everblades of the ECHL. Both finished 5 years of CIS eligibility this past season.

Links:
|> [Deckert Press Release]
|> [Dittmer Press Release]

The CIS also confirmed their scheduling for the University Cup:

Pool A
1. Alberta
4. Saint Mary’s
6. Waterloo

Pool B
2. UNB
3. UQTR
5. Saskatchewan

Thursday, March 14
1:00 pm Game 1 – Alberta (1) vs. Waterloo (6)
7:20 pm Game 2 – New Brunswick (2) vs. Saskatchewan (5)

Friday March 15
1:00 pm Game 3 – Losers game 1 vs. Saint Mary’s (4)
7:00 pm Game 4 – Losers game 2 vs. UQTR (3)

Saturday, March 16
1:30 pm Game 5 – Winners Game 1 vs. Saint Mary’s (SPORTSNET)
7:00 pm Game 6 – Winners Game 2 vs. UQTR (SPORTSNET)

Sunday, March 17
5:30 pm Game 7 - Gold Medal (SPORTSNET)

The media stories should now begin to build. Thus far there was one from the Halifax Chronicle-Herald by Chris Cochrane. It laments the fact that conference finals lose excitement because both teams often have berths in the nationals.
Quote:
My solution would be to limit entries to the nationals in major spectator sports such as men’s hockey and basketball to a host team and the four conference champions, and go back to filling the remainder of the field with the top wild-card clubs.
But, that's what they do!

The Canadian University Press has a story from Saudi Alberta about Edmontown's "City of Champions" moniker being attributable to their amateur rather than professional teams. I thought that name was gone with Wayne Gretzky and Warren Moon.

Links:
|> [University Cup Website]
|> [CIS Press Release]
|> [Live Webcasts]
|> [Halifax Chronicle-Herald Story]
|> [CUP/Gateway Article]

Old
03-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Day One Wrap

OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD REPORT

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 1
WATERLOO WARRIORS 2

Links:
|> [CIS Game Story]
|> Edmonton Journal: [Waterloo Preview] : [Tournament Preview]
|> [CBC Tournament Preview] : [CP Tournament Preview]

On the whole, this game went as expected. Waterloo seldom had the puck, seldom got a shot on goal, and the Monkeys blasted shots all game long. But the Monkeys hit posts and missed chances while Kurtis Mu-u-ucha's shut-out string is a thing of the past. That's the way it goes in tournament play.

The first period was relatively close, with Alberta holding an 8-5 lead in shots and Waterloo getting the only goal. The second period got ridiculous. No goals, and Alberta had a 22-4 lead in shots. Waterloo scored a third period PP goal to make it 2-0 (on only 4 shots) before Alberta got on the board with a late goal.

This group could be one of those "everybody goes 1-1" type of abominations.

NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 1

Links:
|> [CIS Game Story] : [reposted at AUS Site]

This game generally went as expected, as well. The Banjo-Mutts have had their moments. But IMO they really maximized their record and are not really a national contender. The Squirrels proved that with a solid win.

Although outshot 42-24, Sask had the first goal in the 2nd period. Enough to make one think both top seeds might suffer defeat even though out-playing their opponents.

Anyhow, I sniff an all-AUS final a-brewing.

Bison news continue to flow. Blair Macaulay was named to the CIS All-Canadian team, and James Henry was named to the CIS All-Rookie team. Both are forwards and both are slated to return.

Also, the Bisons made the recruitment of Jordan DePape official. He had an injury-riddled WHL career after leaving the Saints for major junior. He still had 106 points in 142 games, plus 13 points in 11 playoff games. He only played 31 games in the last two years combined. He has apparently recovered and was considering joining the Bisons in the second semester.

Matthew Lowry becomes the 3rd Bison to sign a pro contract, latching on to the Greenville Road Warriors of the ECHL.

Links:
|> [CIS All-Star Story]
|> [DePape Press Release]
|> [DePape's Elite Prospects Page]
|> [Greenville Press Release]

Friday March 15
1:00 pm Game 3 – Alberta vs. Saint Mary’s
7:00 pm Game 4 – Saskatchewan vs. UQTR

Saturday, March 16
1:30 pm Game 5 – Waterloo vs. Saint Mary’s (SPORTSNET)
7:00 pm Game 6 – New Brunswick vs. UQTR (SPORTSNET)

Sunday, March 17
5:30 pm Game 7 - Gold Medal (SPORTSNET)

Links:
|> [Live Webcasts]
|> [LS Daily Schedule - with links and live updates]
|> Yahoo: [Neate Sager's story on tournament format]

Old
03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Day Two Wrap

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

(in overtime)

Links:
|> [CIS Game Story - with video and summary]

The Monkeys have been unable to turn dominance on the shot clock into goals this tournament. While the result technically gives them a shot at advancing to the final, in reality the winner of Waterloo-SMU will get the prize.

The 1st period saw the Monkeys outshoot the Mary's 17-5, yet it was 1-1. In the 2nd period, the Mary's outshot them 9-8 and took a 3-2 lead. The Monkeys forced OT after outshooting the Mary's 11-5. You get the idea. In 6 periods plus an overtime, only once (in the 2nd period) did a Monkey opponent get more than 5 shots on goal in a period. That sort of defence generally gets a team's name engraved on a trophy.

Mu-u-ucha was yanked after giving up two quick goals in the 2nd period. Real Cyr, who had been the weak link, got the win in goal.

UQTR PATRIOTES 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 1

Links:

This was an odd game, caused by the tournament format. Sask had to win by 3 to have a chance. So the first two periods were close and it was 1-1. But when UQTR scored early in the 3rd it seemed to kill the Mutts' incentive. A late empty-netter gave the Banjo Boys yet another 0-2 record at nationals.

So this sets up a UNB-UQTR "semi-final" which starts at 9:00 CDT (8:00 CST), just after the Leafs v Jets on HNIC.

Saturday, March 16
2:30 pm Game 5 – Waterloo vs. Saint Mary’s (SPORTSNET)
9:00 pm Game 6 – New Brunswick vs. UQTR (SPORTSNET)

Sunday, March 17
6:30 pm Game 7 - Gold Medal (SPORTSNET)

Links:
|> [Live Webcasts]

Old
03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Day Three Wrap

WATERLOO WARRIORS 1
SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 5

Links:
|> [CIS Game Story - with summary] : [reposted at AUS Site]
|> [The Record: Game Story]

Yet again, Waterloo was dominated and looked like they were in way over thier heads. But they still were in with a chance to win the game. In the 1st period, Waterloo9 socred first before SMU equalized. SMU then had the only goal in the 2nd. After two pweriods, SMU only led 2-1 despite a 31-15 on the shot clock. Had the score stayed that way, the +/- would have been Alberta 5-5, SMU 5-5, and Waterloo 3-3. And the Monkeys would have made the final. But once SMU scored a 3rd goal, the Monkeys were up a tree without a banana. The +/- ended up SMU 8-5, Alberta 5-5, and Waterloo 3-6 and SMU is off to the final.

NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 8
UQTR PATRIOTES 3

Links:
|> [CIS Game Story - with video and summary] : [reposted at AUS Site]
|> [Star-Phoenix Report]

My plan was to watch the Jets beat the Leafs on the HNIC 6:00 game, followed by the U-Cup game at 9:00. But the Vancouver Canucks were wearing cool retro uniforms so I watched that one for 15 minutes. Bad move. When I tuned in this one it was already 3-3 in under 10 minutes of play. It must have been nuts. But from then on UQTR did not belong on the same sheet of ice as the Squirrels. They just ran around the ice in a vain attempt to get their stick on the puck. I would like to know how often a UQTR player had the puck on his stick inside the Squirrel blue line. The final shot toal was 51-22, and that flattered UQTR.

Sunday, March 17
6:30 pm Game 7 - Gold Medal Game
New Brunswick v Saint Mary's (SPORTSNET ONE)

Links:
|> [Live Webcasts]

Old
03-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Day Four - Final Wrap

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0

Links:
|> [YouTube] : [Facebook Photos]

This was not a thriller. But it was a very steady, workmanlike game where the Squirrels threw a wet blanket over the Mary's and that was that. The final shots were 23-17 for UNB. With the game 1-0 entering the 3rd, SMU outshot them 5-4 in the period. The 4th shot was into an empty net.

This was a game coaches would love. But for fans? Kind of a bore.

The Monkeys must be kicking themselves for blowing game 1 against Waterloo. They likely could have forced the play where the Mary's couldn't and make it look like a hockey game.

Last edited by Hollywood3: 03-19-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old
03-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0

Links:
|> [YouTube] : [Facebook Photos]

This was not a thriller. But it was a very steady, workmanlike game where the Squirrels threw a wet blanket over the Mary's and that was that. The final shots were 23-17 for UNB. With the game 1-0 entering the 3rd, SMU outshot them 5-4 in the period. The 4th shot was into an empty net.

This was a game coaches would love. But for fans? Kind of a bore.

The Monkeys must be kicking themselves for blowing game 1 against Waterloo. They likely could have forced the play where the Mary's couldn't and make it look like a hockey game.
Since I'm a Vreds fan I was on the edge of my seat from the opening faceoff. I can undertand though how a neutral fan was disappointed in the lack of scoring/chances.
I think the fact these two teams played each other 8 times overall this year had a lot to do with it. The Bears would have been a different game for sure.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:37 AM
RED ARMY EAST

I would think that Winnipeg would be the best bet of any of the other CanadaWest to host this event. It is the only big Western market to not have major junior as a rival. I'm sure that something could be worked out with the corporate side of things, maybe even the Jets as a partner? You need the corporate support or it's dead!
It's central location is also attractive. MTS Center would be the logical site. How big is the next possible arena in Winnepeg?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
AdamMcg83

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryerson make a run to host - they have a huge venue card to play, and could probably drum up the type of corporate support needed (Mattamy Homes already holds the facility's naming rights; would be easy enough to drum up secondary sponsors).

Could likely also have a three-team tourney for host bid between Ryerson, UofT and York (like they did in Waterloo 10 years ago - except with, you know, attendance numbers).

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:46 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Host sites

Ryerson might get basketball, but Toronto isn't the spot to host this event. You need attendance and it doesn't come off as a good experience to the student athlete to play in front of sparse crowds.
Saskatoon had to cover up the top bowl, or it would have looked like the building was empty.
The weather was bad, obviously playing a huge factor in attracting fans. With no Mem Cup next year, this should change for the better.
There is talk in the Halifax Chronicle on possibly getting Halifax/ SMU on board in the near future.
For the AUS, this will likely be the next stop. Fredericton will support it again, but UNB won't bid anytime in the near future. As for the OUA, Lakehead could, Nippissing now has major junior to contend with.
Ottawa, not likely with hosting CIS basketball finals.
Western or Windsor??

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:56 AM
AUS Fan

Was talking to a Western guy in Sask. He indicated that UWO "may" put a bid in for the next Championship. I can't see it happening in Halifax due to the B-Ball ( AUS Final 6 )the week before. Only so many corporate dollars to go around and Phil Currie is NOT hockey-centric........

Edit: Regarding covering the upper bowl. In a 15K arena that is a normal event. Weather and the lack of a home team played a huge part in the number of fans. I am very surprised that UofS elected to open on Thursday night.