HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 08:29 PM
gernb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Does Bellingham have an arena? The only open market in this state I know of with a WHL quality venue is Wenatchee.
It's not quite open. The Wenatchee Wild of the NAHL play in their arena.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:34 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Does Bellingham have an arena? The only open market in this state I know of with a WHL quality venue is Wenatchee.
Yep, and with a team that frankly, instead of being a member of the NAHL or BCHL or whatever league they'll be a member of next year, should be in the WHL. And at 4,000 seats, the TTC is bigger than a few of the buildings in the eastern part of the league.

Those of you who are familiar with the arena financing problems over there - the biggest reason I think they've had a lot of those issues occur is they aren't drawing the type of "out-of-town" traffic, and the resulting tourist tax revenue, they'd thought they'd get in there. A way to fix that IMO would be for the Wild to become a member of the Western Hockey League, and thus attract the Seattle/Everett/Spokane crowds for weekend games.....

My thinking on the Silvertips is I don't see them moving anywhere, largely because I'm not sure there will be an AHL team there.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Yes. That was my point that the Coyotes would not be going east based on new realignment and anyone thinking so was engaged in wishful thinking. IMHO. Trying to be diplomatic.
The alignment will not be a factor as to where a team moves or where an expansion team is granted. It is utterly irrelevant. They will choose the best city, with the best ownership and chance for success, period. The alignment will be adjusted to fit.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
The alignment will not be a factor as to where a team moves or where an expansion team is granted. It is utterly irrelevant. They will choose the best city, with the best ownership and chance for success, period. The alignment will be adjusted to fit.
In theory if coyotes does move to quebec city which eastern conference team move out out west? Assuming Colorado moves to the other western division.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
Maybe that is why realignment was approved by NHL and NHLPA knowing exactly what/where is best (in there view) place to go. Why adjust what is already in place. Makes adjustment irrelevant/unnecessary. Just a thought.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:42 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Maybe that is why realignment was approved by NHL and NHLPA knowing exactly what/where is best (in there view) place to go. Why adjust what is already in place. Makes adjustment irrelevant/unnecessary. Just a thought.
Indeed. I mean Coyotes going to Seattle requires no adjustment to the realignment but Coyotes to QC requires an adjustment.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:30 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Indeed. I mean Coyotes going to Seattle requires no adjustment to the realignment but Coyotes to QC requires an adjustment.
Probably more than one adjustment at that and right after they moved two franchises from west to east who belonged there in the first place.

Before the realignment process I held little hope of NHL in Seattle for a few years at least and was OK with that. After I am quite confident that it will be a few years at the outside. If 'I' was a QC supporter I would be upset at new realignment. Just my honest opinion.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:43 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
I love how the article's author states that the only presence the NHL has in the American Northwest is the San Jose Sharks. The NHL has zero presence in the American Northwest. San Jose is a West Coast team, not a Northwest team.
Apparently anything outside of Socal is the Northwest heh

Old
03-19-2013, 01:55 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Apparently anything outside of Socal is the Northwest heh
Having lived for a number of years prior in Socal I was not even bothered too much by that characterization but now realize how stupid it is having been in the real PNW for over 7 years.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:07 AM
gmjevtwa

Quote:
The only major hockey facility I found in Bellingham is the Bellingham Sportsplex, which is home to the Bellingham Blazers (NORPAC Tier III Junior A) and the Western Washington (Univ.) Vikings (Club program).

The Bellingham Sportsplex website does not have seating information. However, one page from the Blazers web site indicates that there are not that many seats. An article from the team's recent playoff game indicated that there were over 500 people in attendance.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
As dumb as 3 RSN's sound of the PNW area, there is enough content to make it work. Seattle area has many sports talk radio channels: 950/102.9 KJR, 710/97.3 ESPN, 1090 CBS, 850 FSN/KJR Tacoma, 1380 KRKO Everett, ...

each can have 2 main tennants with NCAA sports (Pac12, WAC, BigSky), WHL, minor league baseball, NLL lacrosse, WNBA, etc all mixed within too.
RSN1 - Mariners, Sonics
RSN2 - Sounders, NHL
RSN3 - Trailblazers, Timbers

E: As for the minor league hockey scene, one item discussed locally would be the possibility of the AHL coming to Everett as the minor league team for the Seattle NHL team. The WHL Silvertips would move to Bellingham, WA which is further north and still between Seattle & Vancouver. The WHL Seattle Thunderbirds would stay in the south-end and in the WHL. The AHL option would only work if Abbotsford kept their team going forward. The Everett arena is much nicer than the Seattle/Kent one but caters to a smaller population pool based on its location.

Create one RSN. Partner with a large media provider. 50% ownership by Hansen group/ 25% DirectTV/ 25% Comcast.

Partner with NHL owner (And hopefully MLB/MLS).

Create a overflow channel for when you have 2 competing programs at the same time.

Potential content for a PNW RSN:

Tier One:
Seattle Mariners
Seattle Supersonics
Seattle Bombers
Seattle Sounders
Gonzaga basketball

Tier Two:
Seattle Thunderbirds
Everett Silvertips
Tri-City Americans
Spokane Chiefs
Portland Winterhawks
Portland Timber
Tacoma Rainiers
Washington Stealth
Lower Division Colleges (Seattle Redhawks, E.Washington etc)
High school sports (Football/basketball/AU Club sports)

Other programming: NFL coaches show, weekly NFL magazine shows, Seahawks analysis etc as well as the same for the above teams.

The more content you control, the more you can leverage in regards to price point and solve any sort of carriage issues. Sonics will be a hot property, as will the NHL

Old
03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Having lived for a number of years prior in Socal I was not even bothered too much by that characterization but now realize how stupid it is having been in the real PNW for over 7 years.
It's just weird. I grew up near Oakland and never once heard anyone, anywhere, refer to it as the Pacific Northwest. And I've lived in the Northwest since 1996 and everyone knows you don't include any part of California in that description. You're talking OR, WA, ID, MT and maybe WY, depending on who you talk with. No one in their right mind calls any part of California the Pacific Northwest; it's the West Coast. Just thought it was funny.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
silvercanuck

I think most people consider the Pacific Northwest to include Washington, Oregon, and BC. Idaho and Alaska are a bit of stretch. Montana is basically like Alberta. California is part of the west coast.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I think most people consider the Pacific Northwest to include Washington, Oregon, and BC. Idaho and Alaska are a bit of stretch. Montana is basically like Alberta. California is part of the west coast.
Root sport Northwest covers those area though

Old
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
silvercanuck

Well then it's settled. I don't think the Sharks alone are enough for the region though - obviously.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
tank44

Quote:
Create one RSN. Partner with a large media provider. 50% ownership by Hansen group/ 25% DirectTV/ 25% Comcast.
Direct TV & Comcast working together will never happen. there will be too much overlap trying to get the 5 main teams on at one time. isn't competition what drives up the prices and not a monopoly? Maybe I am off when channels have a regular feed, a "2" feed, and a "+" feed. I relaly do not understand why the 2 and + channels exist when only on for the overflow games. Seems like the other teams would want a better tv deal.

Also, the RSNs throughout the country carry a lot of garbage tv but their bread & butter is the live events.

Edit: Either way, there is either going to be a new RSN in the PNW or a revamped offering of Root Sports & CSN-NW and all people involved will make a lot more money.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:26 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
While this is true, if you look at where the mariners/hawks coverage map, it includes Idaho/western Montana and even Alaska

Old
03-20-2013, 02:23 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
While this is true, if you look at where the mariners/hawks coverage map, it includes Idaho/western Montana and even Alaska
You're conflating 2 separate and different concepts...
  1. what is "The Pacific Northwest"?
  2. for what areas of the US, is Seattle the home of the closest MLB and NFL teams?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Shaz

Idaho and Montana are considered the PNW

I've never thought otherwise

Old
03-20-2013, 06:03 PM
SeattleSharksFan
Hockey Autograph Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjevtwa View Post
The only major hockey facility I found in Bellingham is the Bellingham Sportsplex, which is home to the Bellingham Blazers (NORPAC Tier III Junior A) and the Western Washington (Univ.) Vikings (Club program).

The Bellingham Sportsplex website does not have seating information. However, one page from the Blazers web site indicates that there are not that many seats. An article from the team's recent playoff game indicated that there were over 500 people in attendance.
The Bellingham Sportsplex is more of a recreational rink for youth and amateur hockey, and has no actual arena seating. It's similar to the Olympic View Arena, Kingsgate, etc. That works fine for Tier III Junior A leagues, but definitely not the WHL.

Someone mentioned Wenatchee, which would be interesting. I'm not sure how their attendance has been, but if their move to the BCHL works out well, they could become a WHL candidate. (Any Central WA-based fans, please chime in )

Regarding what the Northwest is, I've always considered the PNW to be the following:
- Western Washington and Western Oregon (a.k.a. Cascadia). Everything from the Cascades to the coast in these two states, from the Canadian border down to Eugene.
- The Inland Northwest: Central and Eastern Washington, the Idaho Panhandle, and western Montana (Missoula, Kalispell/Flathead Valley and westward). This area is fused together economically.
- Eastern Oregon and the rest of Idaho (Boise, etc) are gray areas. Eastern Montana and Eastern Idaho definitely feel more Midwest/Rocky Mountain.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSharksFan View Post

Regarding what the Northwest is, I've always considered the PNW to be the following:
- Western Washington and Western Oregon (a.k.a. Cascadia). Everything from the Cascades to the coast in these two states, from the Canadian border down to Eugene.
- The Inland Northwest: Central and Eastern Washington, the Idaho Panhandle, and western Montana (Missoula, Kalispell/Flathead Valley and westward). This area is fused together economically.
- Eastern Oregon and the rest of Idaho (Boise, etc) are gray areas. Eastern Montana and Eastern Idaho definitely feel more Midwest/Rocky Mountain.
- Northwest Nazarene University is in Nampa, ID.

- Pocatello, ID calls itself the "Gateway to the Northwest".

The old Oregon Territory is the NW.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Idaho and Montana are considered the PNW

I've never thought otherwise
Which leaves Idaho and Montana wondering when America is going to bring the Pacific TO them.

Trust me, that comes with forethought of the Noah-like carnage of getting the ocean through Oregon and Washington.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Someone mentioned Wenatchee, which would be interesting. I'm not sure how their attendance has been, but if their move to the BCHL works out well, they could become a WHL candidate. (Any Central WA-based fans, please chime in )
Wenatchee averaged over 3,000 their first few seasons, runs about 2,700 now, and they pay probably Alberta-Saskatchewan WHL prices to watch. At least from my one visit there a couple months ago, it's legit. I've heard one guy questioning 4,300 capacity, and expansion is pretty much out because the building took on so much debt that the state bailed out Wenatchee. The WHL, despite some of the small buildings to the east, is said to prefer no fewer than 5,000 seats for their buildings in Cascadia.

Quote:
So I lived in Boise for a dozen years too many. I still have a daughter there.

There's a significant Mormon population in Southern Idaho, so Boise kind of aligns a little bit with Salt Lake City, but doesn't lack for influence from Portland and Seattle. For being 350 and 450 miles away from those markets, and for really large percentage growth over 50 years, it is its own place. The thing about that: it's been hard for pro teams to pin down that market. It's in Mariners broadcast territory, but I've listened to a radio guy insist that they could make headway if they time-bought in Boise (wink wink). I suppose Root took over for Fox Northwest there... and if so, that's meant nothing for anyone but, say, the Timbers and Flounders along with the Mariners. But they'd rather stuff Boise State sports down our throats.

Eastern Oregon... parts of it are now more easily aligned with Boise, mostly where Boise TV has taken hold. That means a lot if you can get cattle to watch games... Oregon's 2nd Congressional District includes everything East of the Cascades AND Medford/Jackson County to make numbers. As the Columbia River reaches all the way towards Hermiston in Eastern Oregon, there's stronger economic ties to Portland from Pendleton westward. Bend is the biggest population center east of the Cascades, definitely a Portland playground (if there's an Oregon city that should have WHL, it's Bend, alas, attempt to build an arena have been thwarted).

So there's a test later...

Old
03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Which leaves Idaho and Montana wondering when America is going to bring the Pacific TO them.

Trust me, that comes with forethought of the Noah-like carnage of getting the ocean through Oregon and Washington.
The term 'Pacific Northwest' is more about differentiating itself from the old Northwest (aka the Midwest, where Northwestern Univ. is located). Idaho and Western Montana are in the Pacific Northwest.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:59 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Sactown's term sheet should be released soon

Closed Thread